How many people REALLY play Entropia?

I somehow don't care how many are playing.

My guess, in a slightly different direction, is that Entropia Universe is sustained by ~500 depositors.

Servers, bills etc are not payed with sweating at Nea's, as ugly as it might sound.

To answer ontopic, if we define a player as active by logging in at least once a month, I'd guess ~50k.

btw why is it so important to know the exact amount of active players in EU?

btw why is it so important to know the exact amount of active players in EU?

Fast answer: external advertising is payed by number of views. If we have less than 100k, is impossible to pay even the weakest of ATH with money from advertising, the revenue would barely pay for MA's coffee.

And is impossible to exist 100k active users in EU. And we have lots of ATH. lol.

OMG! I cant believe you asked this?

Let''s say 10 peoples are active
2 will go, that means 20% of your community left, meaning it is very fragile

Let''s say 10 peoples are active here, 100 peoples are active on ''a other game''
You want to sell advert space, which game will get the most?

And there are more and more examples why it is relevant to know

BTW also neat to know, lets say 15k clients are active.
How rare are those extremely rare items? Not so rare in numbers I think =)

OMG! I cant believe you asked this?

Let''s say 10 peoples are active
2 will go, that means 20% of your community left, meaning it is very fragile

Let''s say 10 peoples are active here, 100 peoples are active on ''a other game''
You want to sell advert space, which game will get the most?

And there are more and more examples why it is relevant to know

well everything starts with nothing and it is bound to die in some time, since no thing last forever. And since there are around 800K registred it's a fair number

Well I'm not registered on the tracker and I am on there...so that's sorted.

Why does it matter?
If only a thousand deposit decent amounts and they get pissed off and stop...what pays the wages, loot, development and promotion ?

To me it matters more that MA use misleading figures though..to businesses and new players...so they wouldn't think twice about doing it to us would they based on that ?

It's like MAnchester United saying 200k attended their games when they actually got 50k (but they have 200k people who coud have gone) . Advertisers would soon realise the figures were bollocks and leave never to return.

I'd say 30k would be a decent guess on our regular population, and when/if that gets divided between all the new planets thats going to make for empty worlds. I hope the planets actually get out and promote and don't assume theu have a game that people will turn up waving CCs at just because its there.

Maybe a good way to estimate real numbers would be to use actual MA figures to work it out? We know their income from and profits from their accounts, and we also know they stated an aim of a dollar an hour per ava to play...using that we should be able to get close no?

t

.... Although I do find it rather BS that they are doing the SGA now, not finished, not advertising, so if they're still around in 2-5 years, you're going to have a massive batch of 'tail end SGAers' who will be bitching about no UL items in loots anymore, all dropped during SGA and MA didn't have it run long enough for them to loot shit, etc etc...

so basically the same as today ... sorry couldn't resist ;)

But what about people who have 2nd (and 3rd) avatars? (I don't know how a person would get away with it, and don't want to know, so don't say how if you know)

It's fairly common knowlege people do it.

I see names go by, in chat, or on the streets, That are so suspicious, I figure it is a 2nd ava, they would HAVE to have already played before to know the words, no Knewb would've thought to name himself that. So hint to folks starting a 2nd avatar, don't choose so obvious a name like "Fort Troy Atrox Hunter Pedwaster".

mmm... i think this:

you are wrong. we are very less.

FROM TRACKER:

(3800 + 1690 + 1402) / 3 = 2297

¿How many of them are depositants?

You can use pareto principle: 20% of a population cause 80% of utility.

2297 x 0.2 = 460 avatars are mantaining the economic of the game!

:D:D

Every once in a while this questions pops up :D

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...t-entropiatracker-com-data-2.html#post1548780

I only have one full year of EU experience, but this year was like last year for me with activity dropping quite a lot in June. Last year it was not until November until it went up again and I remember quite well that in January it was 10k individual hunting globals.
We are surely missing around 100k of sweaters now and almost all the teamhunters. Would guess that real active playerbase is around only 10k right now from about 1 million registered accounts .

Don't know where that screenshot in the first post came from though, at the moment it's only around 3800 globals in hunting.

And they still FAIL to attend to that problem:yay:

lets do some calculation
Since tracker starter we have almost 10k unique playernames to get a global in hunting
Lets asume that 50% of miners hunt and 80% of crafters
makes a total of 12k unique names

Lets now face the fact that tracker is bugged with certain names; making some avatars listed as 2 upto 10 different spellings. Lets asume that this makes up 10% fake accounts.

we are left at 10,800 acounts that globalled.

Since there is also a trasient noob population; playing for a few months & leaving, and some that level up and stay. Lets asume that atleast since tracker was launched atleast 500 noobs got a small global, only to lose it again.

We are left at 10,300 active acounts that globalled.

Since the comotion around CE, and disgrunted players with too low hardware aren't playing at the moment; lets take them as 300ppl.

we are left at 10k that acounts that globalled.

Lets analyse those 10k using pareto
20% no depositers
20% huge depositors
60% small/medium depositers

conclusion:

So 2k people bring in 80% of the money for MA
6k brings in the 20%
and 2k just strain the servers togheter with the noobs that didn't got a global

if we use pareto, then 2k active players wouldn't have had a global yet; most of them non (or very low) depositing noobs.

making a total of 12k people

If MA does not make the player base satisfied enough to keep playing or depositing, it hasn't got much buffer left.
I asume we are already reduced from 15k-20k actieve players in VU8 from the feel of it and a red colored FL where it used to be green till I scrolled way down.

The thing I fear from EU is that by the design of it; when it reaches a certain minimum threshold it will spiral down (don't know how far we are from that).
Added fact is that every (deposting) player lost is a truly a loss, since the pool of potential players is not that big for a niche game like EU, compared to games like WoW,...

now lets review this end of december, way after 6 october to get a clear view of the massive growth / damage of the playerbase. Anyone want to take a guess?

A) Very few people know about EU.

B) There is little to no advertising to the entire online/gaming community.

C) Judging by in game activity of globals,auctions,people in cities,outposts and wilderness, there are no more of 2k to 4k (peek on weekends) playing at any time of the day.

D) My view,entire active and nonactive population is no more than 25k.

And they still FAIL to attend to that problem:yay:

Too busy dreaming of the future and patting themselves on the back for what they have yet to do.

10% (or less maybe) retention for a business is awful....any normal company would be gone doing that.

We have an old saying here "Jam tommorrow" ...something poor mothers would tell their hungry kids in Victorian times when they were given bread for supper, they would be promised jam on it tommorrow ..every day.
MA always remind me of that. Egg, cashcard, Cryengine, planets, updates...tommorrow. So we wait. Most new guys seem not to be prepared to wait very long though.

t

Quick facts on EU from the official site:

Sauce;
http://www.planetcalypso.com/planet-calypso/entropia-universe/

so 810k, how many is active? who knows :p

This is why the 810k number is worthless;

I created 2 avatars PRIOR to creating my first avatar.... there were issues (won't go into them) with the first two, one of which was my own fault (randomed the look).
Since then I've started over with a new avatar.
That's 4 avatars from one person.

My best friend started EU... hated it, and stopped.
He came back, forgot his password, recreated, played for a day and quit, never to return.
That's 2 more registered accounts.

Now, consider all the people who join, get disenfranchised with EU and leave never to return. I'd speculate atleast half of newcomers never relog after their first few days.

Then consider all the users who've created avatars since EU started, but never stayed. I'd speculate atleast one third of all accounts were created by people who've since left EU, OR, don't login more than once every few months.

810k registered accounts, IMO (and speculatively), belong to approximately 300k different individuals.

Then consider the possibility that half those individuals were noobs who didn't stay more than a week.
Consider the possibility that half of the remainder are ex-patriots who've left for greener pasture.
That leaves approx 75k individuals.
Consider the possibility that half of those people log in once in a blue moon.
Now you're sitting around 37.5k accounts. Of these, I'd speculate that half REALLY play EU (10+ hours a week).

That's my opinion only, but, you can see how misleading the figures from MA can be to the outside world (or brooklyn) after a little bit of thought is put into the reality of the situation.

If the local bungy was to say "we had 300million visitors last year!" that does not mean 300million people bungy jumped.

ps: this is just playing with numbers I picked out of the air, there's as much fact in these numbers I've mentioned as there is in an MA press release.

Last edited:
there are a LOT of things that could GREATLY improve the gaming experience so that people would be less frustrated of loosing money every day. For example a better communication system : ex: mailing, selectable/copyable text in chat, more options for chat channels...
Those that played Aion know what I am talking about. That game has the BEST and most organized UI from all the games I played till now... MA should really learn to ... learn

According to a torrents website, I think the original vu10 client was downloaded via bittorrent 7,670 times. So the 10k - 15k guesses are probably pretty close, IMO.
On an off-topic note, has anyone seen the image Mindark has for it's tracker? - http://tracker.entropia.dcs.net/ :laugh:

Thread Title said:
How many people REALLY play Entropia?

Nobody.

It's a virtual universe! :eek:

So what do you think? Is this accurate? The tracker can't be wrong, can it??

Yes :)

It only records those producing enough decay to achieve at least 1 global in a month to date period.

Extracting team names and cross referencing duplicate names in hunting --> mining ---> crafting would give you a more accurate figure of:

How many people play Entropia who produce enough decay within a month in a manner that will result in at least 1 global for the 30 day tracked period.

I did this a while back and came up with ~ 3500 consistent monthly players.

^^ Keep in mind, not total players/registered players that are active;
And the 3500 result was only done on a single month to date data set.

No idea how many there are now that play and achieve at least 1 global to be consistent players.

Current tracker data shows in SGA period:

6494.png

According to a torrents website, I think the original vu10 client was downloaded via bittorrent 7,670 times. So the 10k - 15k guesses are probably pretty close, IMO.
On an off-topic note, has anyone seen the image Mindark has for it's tracker? - http://tracker.entropia.dcs.net/ :laugh:

That's a good idea you had there. Depressing though.

that image...WTF is that about ? :laugh:

Does anyone know if they contact people who leave after a while and ask them why (a survey or something) ?

I would consider doing that, and maybe offering a freebie as a thankyou for helping with market research? That kind of thing works well on poker sites and other places where I spend money online...carrots to get me back.

t

make that 4911 depositing players - 1
because i am not logging in atm, until loot is back to at least 9.4 level

2500-3000 active players....
Maybe less...
And it will get worst if ''they'' continue like this....

Doesn't tell much by a long way. ET started around April 2008, some players hunt low level and I've seen achievement posts with "first global" after 1 year of playing.

Plenty of players just hang around auction and until recently sweated at Nea's - they dont show up on the figures.

I've never had a crafting global, and I've had 1 mining global that ET has collected in the past 18 months.

Whatever the numbers are, this is a more successful MMO model than Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Matrix Online and all the others that fell by the wayside.

Mindark and FPC need to update the screenshots on MMORPG.COM and perhaps do another interview.

Doesn't tell much by a long way. ET started around April 2008, some players hunt low level and I've seen achievement posts with "first global" after 1 year of playing.

Plenty of players just hang around auction and until recently sweated at Nea's - they dont show up on the figures.

I've never had a crafting global, and I've had 1 mining global that ET has collected in the past 18 months.

Whatever the numbers are, this is a more successful MMO model than Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Matrix Online and all the others that fell by the wayside.

Mindark and FPC need to update the screenshots on MMORPG.COM and perhaps do another interview.

A llot of truth there.

A lot of people who are ingame and don't global much will be non-depositors though, and as far as keeping the game solvent they don't count...they aren't income. The depositing population is what matters as far as business is concerned...and encouraging people to deposit via good gameplay should get them willing to do so unlike now when the opposite is happening sadly.

That last part of your post is a massive under statement ..they need to stop relying on shows with a small audience for promotion and use the mainsteam online sites much more. I have no clue why they don't use the players too...refer a mate systems are the norm now, even my ISP does it. A very nice way to get a start in EU without too much sweating too for new guys.

t

A llot of truth there.
A lot of people who are ingame and don't global much will be non-depositors though, and as far as keeping the game solvent they don't count...they aren't income. The depositing population is what matters as far as business is concerned...and encouraging people to deposit via good gameplay should get them willing to do so unlike now when the opposite is happening sadly.
t

well I find that wierd, since I've got more globals + a hof when I still was a non-depositer. Since I've started deposit time from time I've only got 2 globals (that was in merry mayhem in december which was my firts time I'd deposited) I think it's more about luck. Might also be becuse I usually buy Items from other people when I deposit rather then waste all on ammo and bombs.

I guess like 10 to 20k for now... the number of player did go down a lot in past year...I would not be surprised if the number did go down of 50% or so...
Many player did go away due to crisis and new engine , and MA did not make any big PR since 2 years... no big sale or anything...

as for counting methose , you can take number of acount in EF and compare with active people in EF...you will have a basic ratio of activiti that you can apply to number of account in EU...

I think it should be defined what to understand with "playing people" or active users.

What I've did some time back is using deposits per days to estimate number of depositing users. For me only those do count as they are providing resources.

It should be noted that all numbers we state are highly inaccurate but if done correctly they might give at least an indication.

In 2008 about 120M PED have been provided to the universe. This is about 330k per day. From 2006 I do know that per day there have been about 750 deposits. Turnover from 2006 to 2008 increased by about 13%. Hence atm there might be 850 deposits per day with a mean deposited amount of 386 PED.

If I further assume that an active player deposits once per month then we would have about 26k depositing users. As mean budget per user is about 386 PED or about 200 attempts, I would expect between 3-6 globals per user per day giving a total of about 2500-5000 globals per day. This figure is close to the one given by ET.

I guess starting form 26k depositing users might be the correct way to establish the total number of players. Add for example a 10-20% for those that are active for long time and don't need to deposit or will not deposit any more. Quite sure another 10-20% goes to noobs that are only running around and finally some further 10-20% to those that are never depositing.

Hence total numbers of players might be somewhere between 30k and 40k.

Please note that I had to make a lot of assumptions, hence if one of those assumptions is wrong the given figure is wrong as well. The only thing we can try is to verify its plausibility.

There have been about 100k new accounts in 2008 (2009 is little lower atm). If the estimated number of 30k-40k is correct then this would imply that only a low number of those 100k is still active. If I assume for example that only 20% of new users remain active and per year there are 100k new users, then after 5 years there would be about 25k active ones. Close to the number that I have given as depositing ones.

Well, all this is not a proof and hence I'm quite uncomfortable with the estimates.

Back