How much ped do you get IRL from an hours work at min wage?

Gas is much cheaper in the US. Its around $3 a gallon here in New York State, but isn't it closer to $8 a gallon or somewhere around there in the UK?

black_rain13 said:
Ain't government great!?!?!

Sure is.
Tax just sucks, but you dont pay it unless you earn a certain amount per year. Well you do here in the UK anyway.
You could always start up your own country, no tax for yourself, 1 CREDIT (of your countries money) could equal 100USD, then you could get awfully rich quick in EU. But thats just a dream and very crazy to pull off, wouldent work atall though.

arieas said:
It is compared the uk. If you wnated to get the same amount of PED for min wage it would need to be $9/hour.
That would probaly cause the econemy to slip a little and still UK gets a better deal with min. wage and currency exchange.
Think i'll get a job, just need 10ped to pay for my apartment monthly, i could find that amount down the back of my sofa.

It should not effect the economy! I mean, the head honcho makes, lets say 5 million a year. Oh would it be so bad if he only made 1 million a year? But that is what this country is about these days, fuck the guy who's actualy making you money, I'll find another one if he quit's!

Creature said:
sounds like your taxes are higher than ours then rain?

our tax rate for the lower band (average pay) is 22% plus about 9% for national insurance payments. Anyone else in the UK figure that to be about right?

The Federal Income tax rate for my pay range is 26%. That is just the income tax though. There is still the social security, FICA, and other stuff... then you have state income taxes based on where you live. Those usually are pretty low, but when it all adds up, it works out to be close to 40% in taxes alone and then you still have medical insurance premiums to pay... for me and my little one, I pay more than 3285 PED a month for insurance coverage.

And I've seen people in the EU complain about paying 5% hunting/mining tax on land areas... haha.

black_rain13 said:
And I've seen people in the EU complain about paying 5% hunting/mining tax on land areas... haha.

Puts alot into perspective hahahaaha :)

Anyone else know the minimum wage in Peds for their country? :tongue2:

Metatron said:
Gas is much cheaper in the US. Its around $3 a gallon here in New York State, but isn't it closer to $8 a gallon or somewhere around there in the UK?

NY is around $3 per gallon?!? That's almost as cheap as here in SC! Maybe it's a good economical time for a road trip up I95. :D

Hugs,
Aliana

black_rain13 said:

LOL yea, and this is a game. Yea whatever MA says is wrong :silly2:

Aliana said:
NY is around $3 per gallon?!? That's almost as cheap as here in SC! Maybe it's a good economical time for a road trip up I95. :D

Hugs,
Aliana

I was in Pennsylvania a couple weeks ago and the gas was about $2.89 a gallon. We definitely filled up at that gas station. :)

Lowest in france its 82 ped/hour (tax allready removed).

Metatron said:
I was in Pennsylvania a couple weeks ago and the gas was about $2.89 a gallon. We definitely filled up at that gas station. :)

That's fantastic. I drove up to Maryland in June and the gas prices started to get scary once I passed into Virginia.

Hugs,
Aliana

It still costs me about 450-500 ped to fill my gas tank. Costs me anywhere from 200-500 ped for a night out at the bar.

Metatron said:
It still costs me about 450-500 ped to fill my gas tank. Costs me anywhere from 200-500 ped for a night out at the bar.

I filled my tank this morning, it was about 210 ped for the week, but I drive a 20 year old Toyota. :)

Hugs,
Aliana

Metatron said:

Costs me 800 peds or so to fill up my gas tank in my 2003 F150.

I make 50,000-80,000 PED // Monthly

Divide that out to 40/hrs a week*4 = 312.5 peds/ hr - 500peds/ hr..

I loose about 600 peds in 4 days (like 8 hr days playing EP) that would be ... but mainly break even and have been able to equip myself nicely and hope to continue to do so... just need couple more hoffs and globals...

that reminds me... hunting robots doesn't pay me much.. aside from the the gazz... wish I could recycle robot parts and get paid for it like recycling soda cans in RL... :) that'd be nice...

3 days hunting drones... 2 ep 45, 2 ep 40, 6 104 amps, 40k ammo, 1 mahn ph, rifle, 6 6a plates, = 675 ped + 2 esis + 2 tp chips + 300+tt gazz = second hunt - cost of repairs + 30k ammo = 150 ped profit = mining bombs/drills etc... + drilling repairs = 40 ped remaining = long hunt ahead + mining on run = -200 ped turn around... + 120+tt ores/enmatter+focus chip= 20 ped loss (((( all in 4 days))))... will sell ores = 600+ ped... hunt again

costs the danish goverment about 320-400ped pr hour having me do my low payment job all in all with everything but before taxes again :) we have 12,5% vecation benefit and all kinds of insurance and also they pay 12,5% to retirement fund all in all it comes to about 20-25k peds a month after tax in my hand

Minimum wage in finland is close to 69 peds/hour if you dont work under any specific contract which is decided by the area of work. I personally wouldnt work at this wage, and its rare that this little is payed. I think the real "actual" minimum wage is around 80 peds/hour.

Btw filling my gastank costs about 1020 peds at the moment, and thats a normal car, with a 60 litre tank. :eek:

I think it's awesome that a bunch of people from different countries are discussing the cost of living with a common currency.

Sure, we could convert everything to the USD for the same discussion, but a lot gets lost in thinking about all those exchange rates.

To see 'my gas tank takes X peds', 'my salary is X peds', really gives a common ground for easy comparison....how cool.

The coolest part being that PEDs are the currency of a place that doesn't physically exist.

Ontario, Canada, minimum ~68PED. I'm currently making ~83PED. I just need to wait and graduate to make 3000PED an hour, come home, log on, and buy a land area.

Since we got into the cost of filling up the car with petro, I will share what it costs me in mine.

I have a 2004 Hyundai, supposedly good fuel economy and still the 18 gallon tank costs me 540 PED to fill it up.

Thank God that I live close enough to work that I can make that last nearly a month. LOL (except when I travel for work, but then the company pays me 4.5 PED per mile in compensation for my driving)

I still prefer to use the company car and the company fuel though... haha

Creature said:
Yeah Staggers right for here in the UK - Actual government set Minimum Wage is around 95 ped at the current(ish) exhange rate.

Is the US minimum wage really that low?

Yes, it can be that low. Some people have explained some of the reasons behind this. There is also a good argument to be made about how the minimum wage hurts poor, unskilled workers.

For example. If I need oranges picked....and I can find people willing to do that work for $4 per hour, I would take them. But then the government comes along, and says I must pay $6 per hour. Well, not only does that make me raise the price that I charge YOU (including the poor people) to buy an orange, it also makes me much pickier about who I hire. I will raise my standards in hiring, because for that price, I want to be able to get more out of somebody I hire...perhaps a high school graduate, who I can have help with calculations, or negotiations with vendors/maintenance people, etc.

So, the trully poor and unskilled person that the system was designed to help, gets pushed out of the picture. All that is left for them is exploitive illegal work.

Also, in the US, we don't pay as much for many jobs, because, as was said, the govt does not tax those people as much as other countries. We have this belief (for the most part) that people do a better job managing their money than the government does.

Of course, this is a big area of debate in the US.

A key reason for our difference, is that in American culture, we place an incredibly high value (comparitivly speaking), on individualism and self-sufficiency (sort of like EU). Much of this probably had to do with the kind of people that started the country.

1. Independant risk takers, willing to face great challenges in order to become successful.
2. Oppressed people, who wanted religious and political freedom.

So, you see this kind of general attitude in many of us Americans to this day. We are greater risk takers than many of those in older, established, countries where the government does more to take care of the people (or burden them depending upon your point of view),..Don't mess with our money, And we are also more religous (generally speaking of course).... Don't mess with our freedom of religion (no matter how messed up it might be at times), and Don't mess with our freedom of speech.

The Brits couldn't stand us yanks, who wanted control of our own money and didn't like having any one church telling us what to believe, or what government to support in the latest war...so the Brits finally cut us crazy yanks loose.

Of course the French helped this to happen...not because they believe in person economic independance or freedom of religion (ask the huguenots)...but they just loved having an opportunity to stick it to the Brits. Then they gave us the great big statue, which was holding its middle finger up toward england. Americans, being a polite culture, promptly covered the finger hand with a torch.

Of course, this idea of individual feedom (including greater economic freedom) proved to be a total disaster (so we keep being told)....yet for some reason, people have not figured that out yet, as the worlds poor and the worlds entrapaneurs keep trying to come to the US. I guess it is because the poor in America live better than most of the middle class in the rest of the world.

Slowly, America is shifting towards a model that looks more an more like a European one. Yay! (hmmm...maybe it is time to move to Australia ;) )

BlackMagicWoman said:
I make -10 peds an hour :D 7 days of the week 12h out of 24 :)

haha...i use "haha" rather than "lol" not out of personal preference but cos that was actually humerous...pld...

but yes i see that here most countries are between say 50 and 150 ped on average... but are there some people out there who live like kings in india or sri lanka or somewhere with a similarly, relatively low exchange rate that do have such access? maybe u could still make it worthwhile from a net cafe? tho i suppose (playing devils advocate against myself) these people probably would just never have access to a media source that could tell them pe even exists...

im just starting to think that as a charitable caper, rich types could set up little pe places ppl can come gather sweat for them for a certain rate...im not sure how much sweat u can gather per hour as as i say i only did it a little b4....who knows eh? anyone out there?

in belgium it's in the region of 100 ped forthe minimum wage... that's 7 euros and a bit

edit : i saw people were talking about gas prices

in europe we pay aprox 7 + $ a gallon

my car costs me 630 ped to fill up and it's only a 35 litre tank ...

Last edited:
wow.. nice thread..
i earn about 160ped / hour in reallife.. im working beside my studying for as a security :)
dont have a car, but if i would have one to fill up with gas, would cost a fortune here at switzerland!

libero said:
Don't know the lowest rate in Norway, but I guess a regular McDonald worker would earn at least 125 PED's - Probably a bit more after working there for a while...
Like I said, not sure, but I would believe thats about right. Can't believe it's less anyway..
If someone says something else, I will not argue... :dunce:
Minimum wage in Norway (this does NOT apply to trainees) is 65 NKR I think it is if youre between 16 and 18 years old. Thats 105 PED.
Personally I wouldnt even consider working for under 185 PED/hr...

For trainees (people study 1 or 2 years and are trainees 1 or 2 years in studies like cooking or car mechanics), the minimum wage is like 35 NKR or some crap like that.. A whopping 57 PED/hr.. But then again, they get paid for learning their profession anyways.. guess its better than going to school 3 years for 0 PED hr...

Faustian said:
Costs me 800 peds or so to fill up my gas tank in my 2003 F150.
Lucky SOB.. I spent 1050 PED filling up my '97 S40 this saturday... Then again, I was pretty much driving on fumes the last 5km.. Filling 56 liters on a 60 liter tank is kinda scary.. Not much hills needed to make you stop when running that low :p

Last edited:
There is no minimum wage here. Reportedly some people earn essentially 3 peds an hour.

Most people with secondary education can get 25 peds an hour
Tertiary education about 40 peds an hour

Metatron said:

Just filled up my tank @ $2.65 a gallon here in Nebraska, the heartland of the USA.

Excellent thread!

In South Africa, the minimum wage for a rural farm worker is ZAR 4.54/hour. This translates to US$ 0.633 (6.33 PED) per hour, or 1013 PED per month.

There are millions in this country that do not even earn that much, as we have a massive unemployment problem. A middle-class salary is in the region of ZAR 14K/month, or US$ 1953/month.

We also languish under a telecoms monopoly which has resulted in obscenely high internet access costs. I currently pay approx US$ 70/month for a 128kb "always-on" connection, with 30 to 1 contention ratios on the upstream bandwidth. The proprietary, network-specific modem cost US$ 350

As far as PC equipment goes, a box with enough grunt to run EU will set you back US$ 850.

So total real-world startup cost to join Entropia is 12.7K PED, including the first month's internet fee. If a minimum-wage farm worker could save 10% of his monthly 1013 PED , it would take him 10.44 years to start participating.

But first he would have to persuade the farmer to provide electricity, and let him work double shifts to pay for the 700 PED/month internet connection.......

Last edited:
Cameron Vayle said:
Just filled up my tank @ $2.65 a gallon here in Nebraska, the heartland of the USA.

Wow you lucky guy you - atm the British fuel price is about £4.50 a gallon which equates to about 85 ped in our money :p

But i know that the US gallon and British Gallons are different so at our petrol prices a US Gallon would be about 69 PED Hmmm Whoever heard of British Petroleum making millions every minute in profit - go on the BP's :tongue2:

Back