How to get more people playing? Not as hard as you think

andy5579

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Richard Frankenberry Adams
Want to get more people playing? I imagine that most players who have a small interest in EU and want to play it don't even get to sample it for 10 minutes. Want to know why? The time it takes to download EU. Its only a few gigs, shouldn't take too long on the internet, maybe a few hours at most, but after uninstalling and redownloading (uninstalled so I would revise) I am getting quite frustrated.
Why? Even on a T1 connection, the download client is insanely slow. May be high traffic as sometimes (this is not the first time for downloading, maybe the 4th or 5th because of switching comps, formatting e.t.c.) the speed is bearable, but 5.9kbs a sec? On a T1 connection? (There is nothing wrong with my connection either)
With something like this, I recon that there is a massive number of players who dont even get past downloading the game, giving up halfway because of an awful download rate. By just dedicating another server to the client at peak times could drastically increase the rate of download, bringing the next generation of players to calypso. Why let players leave before they even arrive? Just my :twocents:
Frankenberry

The server would need to be on another connection. I think that the downloadspeed is restricted since otherwise it could bring mayor lag-issues.

But yes, it takes too much time to download it.

Try running some tweaks with the free tools at dslreports.com. I managed to increase my download speeds several fold by changing my rwin. gl :)

Thanks for the reply but theres nothing wrong with my connection, just tried their speed test, 935kbps download speed, so its all good on my end... I tried other downloads too. The entropia client varies from about 5 to 30... When I tried it a few weeks ago it was at 120kbps download which is actually fine

Ive run that soeed uo to a 250 - 500 kByte/s with my cable.. Maybe there is somthing wrong with your setup of your firwall/router/modem. check those and open a port on your router, it helps. it did for me

Nope, think its definately something wrong with the server now... Its just gone down to 2.1kb a sec...Ive run 2 diagnostics on my router, checked ingoing and outgoing addresses (no anomalies) and removed all restrictions for EU i.p.s... Ah well, Ill try again tomorrow, this is crazy :(

I've had to redownload EU several times. The big VU updates can get slow, about 50-70KBps, but when I am downloading the entire program for a reinstall, it's 200-300KBps, the max for my connection. As you can see from my location, I'm pretty far from Sweden. Are you using a university dorm T1 connection by any chance? It's possible they've placed speed restrictions to different places and ftp transfers.

Nope home address... Its fine with everything else ive tried, even downloaded other things just to check the connection-Its never been like this before. My connection is fine on all fronts though. Thanks for your help

Because you can't get a "nice" download speed, you are assuming every new player doesn't, and gives up from trying EU? *lol*

AFAIK the speed at which you can download from the EU ftp server is capped at 1MB/s.

From here i can get up to ~420 kb/s (both during updates or downloading the full client) and it takes about 1 hour and a few minutes. (ADSL 4Mb/256kb)

IMHO the EU ftp server has a very nice speed.
ofc that on the first hours of a big update it slows down a bit.

It can (most probably) be a bottleneck somewhere between you and the EU ftp server. :dunno:

Do you have any other program using your bandwidth?

Btw:
ftp://ftp.entropiauniverse.com/Clients/Entropia_8.8.0.exe

Recently i downloaded the most recent full installer and burned it to a dvd-rw just to save myself the trouble of having to download it all again.

You know, once in a while we get someone complaining about that...

Oh... and check for spy/adware, you never know!

Also try to type "tracert ftp.entropiauniverse.com" on the console and see if any of the hops takes too long.

Last edited:
It may get more people playing but not more people staying. If you have the patience to wait for the download you will probably have the patience to learn/play the game.

It may get more people playing but not more people staying. If you have the patience to wait for the download you will probably have the patience to learn/play the game.

Hmmm!?

If 10% of the folks that try EU stays....

Wouldnt 10% of the people who gets the game stay aswell? Of thoose who´d never try it out otherwise?

Seems like simple logic to me...:scratch2:

Hmmm!?

If 10% of the folks that try EU stays....

Wouldnt 10% of the people who gets the game stay aswell? Of thoose who´d never try it out otherwise?

Seems like simple logic to me...:scratch2:

I see what your saying but I know myself have downloaded quite a few MMORPG, or whatever term you wanna use, played an hour then quit. All I'm saying is that if your that impatient you can't wait a few hours/days to get the game you probably aren't going to like the IMO semi-steep learning curve to understand and begin to play the game. By the way 63% of facts are made up :silly2:

Cougar, thanks very much for that link, Ive had to download the client about 8 times in the past for various reasons.

Going to burn it to a DVD.

:wtg:

Edit: Downloaded at 250 k/s even whilst EU was running (unusual).

Last edited:
i reinstalled last week and besides a few drops i had max speed for my connection about 200Kb/sec

Yea I downloaded the game a few weeks ago. The speed was fine, but I kept getting errors when I tried to update so it took me 10 tries. But then again that is why computers can run while you are asleep. Also A T1 connection is 1.5mbps I believe, and at 900 something kbps, speed your getting ripped off. So I would check with your internet provider, something is defenitly wrong.

I see that u are in the UK, im not saying this is the case but...I normally live in sweden and the dl speed i can get when dl entrpia regardless if its an update during the busy hours or whatever, always maxes out whatever speed i have left lol meaning like 500kB+, but now when i am in the UK the speed sux to sweden, it doesnt matter if its Entropia or a private ftp and the hours doesnt seem to matter much either, it is worse though during high traffic hours... but it doesnt go very fast, period :p
So it might be a major connection problem more then an actual entropia problem :)

At last VU i was at something like 400ko/s ...
Not bad when its buzy day.
So i guess its way highter on regular time.

maybe they just don't want you to play EU :/

It's slow in the middle states (320kb) but most of the guys that get it are die hard gamers so they said they started it and went to bed :)
:wtg:

Yea I downloaded the game a few weeks ago. The speed was fine, but I kept getting errors when I tried to update so it took me 10 tries. But then again that is why computers can run while you are asleep. Also A T1 connection is 1.5mbps I believe, and at 900 something kbps, speed your getting ripped off. So I would check with your internet provider, something is defenitly wrong.

AAAAGH! WHY DOES NOBODY READ MY POSTS??? People-Im am not computer illiterate-I am not getting ripped off, there is nothing wrong with my connection-after asking my mate across the street, I even piggied his connection just to try it out again-Same problem. Everything else gets good speeds, but just the downloading of entropia. And yes, 900kbps is the connection speed, I did a download test (its slightly over at 921 but whatever) and the connection is fine... I have never had this problem before with the downloader, its usually at 100-200kbps which is a good speed to download something, and before I posted it was at 50-Not too bad I thought, then suddenly it dropped to 5.9.
Instantly, I thought spyware, adaware, or simply someone piggying my connection even though I disabled ssid broadcasting and only have the mac address of my pc in my router. Then checked the logs, nothing unusual, checked spyware, adaware, viruses, (after update) and nothing. It should be something that will be sorted soon but atm... I have 52 hours left until I can play (because the download started from the start yet again. Hum....
Frankenberry

BTW, sorry if that was a bit of a rant, but everything I say, someone will then be like 'L0L YOU FAGZOR IT IS YOUR CONNETION ROFL!'
*sobs* im not a noob :(

Ok, Just a little update as there may be people having the same problem. I left the client loader running, and its picked up a bit of speed, currently at 27.6kbps. Rubbish, BUT I can cope with that-Ill leave it running for a bit longer, hoping that the increased speed is due to the time here, (english time, 11:30 at night) and so will (hopefully) go up dramatically in an hour or so, so I can finish the download and go to bed! I have a X-Country race in the morning, so I think that eu is harming my health...

Something to consider, it could be a router somewhere between yourself & the MA servers. This has happened to me in the past, and usually clears up after a few hours/days. Though there have been sites that i couldnt get to for a week or more (including the sites i manage on a server in texas).

Others from other locations could access those sites normaly, and i too had no issues at my end.

My host (who's been at this stuff since day 1), did some traceroutes, and walked me through a few, and this is how we determined the issue (ended up being a Bell South router in east jerkwater, usa).

So keep try'n, and when u do get it all downloaded, burn it off to cd/dvd. (i burn the mindark folder to dvdrw after every VU update).

The cd/dvd is also great to pack over to a friends house to turn them on to EU!

Done, it took a week before it was back to normal-The rate went back up to 150-200kbps so it must have been a temporary problem. Thanks for the help!

I always download the game between 2-20Mbs mostly about 16 but when its new v.u and server is overloaded about 2..

Could it be becouse im as swedish player;) but yes.. they should have some upload servers in other continents(countries)

Hi,

I am trying for the first time and...it's 49,5kbyte/s:rolleyes: and denmark is not that far from Sweden.....

I would add to the list that the minimum requerments are quite...hymm:rolleyes: high to play the game. will see but I would love to play it!

BTW I am new so hello to all:lam:

I have got max ~700kbytes/s while downloading..havent tried to switch off TV box so I dont know If the speed can hit 1Mbyte/s.. But Im not far from Sweden either.. Maybe the bottlenecks for some users are somewhere between players and MA..

Thanks for the reply but theres nothing wrong with my connection, just tried their speed test, 935kbps download speed, so its all good on my end... I tried other downloads too. The entropia client varies from about 5 to 30... When I tried it a few weeks ago it was at 120kbps download which is actually fine

I've had the exact same experience over here. Downloaded the game onto about 7 PC's over the last couple of months, and it seems like the d/l speed I've had has steadily declined, down to 30kb/s yesterday, in two locations.

On the other hand, while it does take ~10hours at 30kb/s, it pretty much leaves you to use your computer regularly (so far as to play WoW fine) while you download.

Back