How to improve Athena SPACEPORT, suggestion and concept art.

Good idea? (read first!)

• Yes.

Votes: 58 77.3%
  • No, keep it as is.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • No, make it like this instead: *posts other suggestion*

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
Status

Ludvig|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
Admin
MindArk Official
Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
Hey, here is some 10 min concept art (NOT to scale) for how I think Athena should be remade into:

To explain it:
1) Move all hangars there, put them in the cliff facing the sea.
2) Add landing platforms (keep the style of the current towers for those maybe, as it seems popular?) on top of it all for VTOL, fighters and other smaller space/aircraft.
3) Make this the place where aircraft enters the atmosphere.
4) Add areas behind the hangars with terminals, auctions, crafting areas, areas for traders and services (like repairs), apartments, tunnels leading out into the wilderness beyond and big enough to drive vehicles in.
5) Add a central meeting point that everything is placed around, including the main teleporter.
6) Maybe some hangars could be facing the central area as well, not just the sea?
7) Apartments/shops inside the cliff with seaview (windows through the rock)

nice indeed, always wondered why it was called Athena Space Port and it had nothing to do with space what so ever.

nice indeed, always wondered why it was called Athena Space Port and it had nothing to do with space what so ever.

Well its... its... uh... high up? :silly2:

Athena is a bit like hangar owners.

We have have a building that does nothing and no spaceship, so we also have nothing to do with space. :mad:

Not a bad set up. Of course, I think New Oxford is the city most overdue for a redesign. Every time I look at that pathetic deer mall I remember how much better VU 9 Oxford was.

I hope MindArk will have time to restructure cities like FPSEE did with PA/Chugs/the crater/etc.

Where is button to like it

each upgrade has a cost of development ... and obviously these costs are not paid by Mindark, these costs will payed by the comunity through our rate of return. I do not want more changes, on what already exists, only to see a little nicer ..

But entropia is built upon constantly changing, its in its nature, forever changing and improving on a weekly/monthly basis?

And lets face it, athena's current design is a bit naff and could do with some improvements to make it usefull :)

But entropia is built upon constantly changing, its in its nature, forever changing and improving on a weekly/monthly basis?

And lets face it, athena's current design is a bit naff and could do with some improvements to make it usefull :)

Eh, I think Entropia basically restarted from the beta (or alpha or w/e) phase when VU 10 was implemented, and is still moving toward a general feel of what MindArk had envisioned as "CryEngine 2 Entropia." Of course, Entropia will always receive updates and such, but I think there will come a point when the game is "more finalized" than it is now. Then we will all be able to breath a little easier, unless/until the game requires another ground-up restructure.

Seeing how it is a Space Port and the new Lore-Wise Capital City of Planet Calypso (last I checked), I am all for this idea.

Before the work to get ce2 in place entropia always had weekly - monthly updates like this. Whats your point?

Once all old things are back we will still have updates at the same frequency or higher ;)

Nice ideas and all, i like a lot of it.
But the fact is that people are by nature lazy and want everything to go as fast as possible.
That means that as long as you can spawn VTOL's 1meter from a TP, Twin will remain the main hub for travel.
I have always advicated for a travelcenter / Space center.
The problem is to get people to use it.
There is one solution to this that i came up with and that is that you need to launch from
a special launchpad to make it to orbit.
And theese are only located at the space center.
And all planets would have theese centers.
Athena spaceport would be a perfect place for this!

each upgrade has a cost of development

They are going to upgrade and update stuff anyway, so why not spend this time and resources on something to really improve Calypso in a way that would benefit the players and the general sci-fi feel of the game? :)

Seeing how it is a Space Port and the new Lore-Wise Capital City of Planet Calypso (last I checked), I am all for this idea.

I thiiiiiiiink (tho not sure) that PA was made the capital of Calypso again after last change to its looks (I prefered the VU10 look over this, cuz I loved flying around between the cliffs there)

They are going to upgrade and update stuff anyway, so why not spend this time and resources on something to really improve Calypso in a way that would benefit the players and the general sci-fi feel of the game? :)

I thiiiiiiiink (tho not sure) that PA was made the capital of Calypso again after last change to its looks (I prefered the VU10 look over this, cuz I loved flying around between the cliffs there)

Really? Check the city info via map.
I can't, stuck on Arkadia. heh

This latest version of PA was made the new capital after the old one, hades, was destroied :)

Really? Check the city info via map.
I can't, stuck on Arkadia. heh

This latest version of PA was made the new capital after the old one, hades, was destroied :)

Athena info says its a "new port of entry to Calypso" and that it is the "new site of Colonial Administration as Hadesheim was flattened by the War Titan Typhon."

Port Atlantis says nada...

But I am 99.8% sure that PA was said in that release to be the capital :dunno:

Just to begin why doesn't Ma change the landing place from space to Athena? at least there will be less lag due to buildings and ppls there.

Just to begin why doesn't Ma change the landing place from space to Athena? at least there will be less lag due to buildings and ppls there.

Exactly! it would, as many have pointed out, make much more sense for Athena SPACEPORT, located 1000 meters up, to be the place for arrival and takeoff...

For PA they could add huge oceans and distant islands, the speedboat incl. in their sites concept art section would have more use then if they put it ingame

Gonna bump this, because I wanna hear more ideas from people! :)

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

I would like to bump this post since I feel this is still an important issue. May create a thread on EF about it as well, see if Kim comments on it.

I like it and wish you worked for Mindark. :thumbup:

I like it and wish you worked for Mindark. :thumbup:

Thx, but if working for them I would have to give up my ava, dont want that :silly2:

I like this idea nighthawk.

I agree wholeheartedly. Athena should be the Premier Launching and landing zone for all of Calypso. It only takes a few seconds to hit space from there where launching from PA takes what feels like a whole minute.

I do dislike certain aspects of Athena Spaceport. I dont like the Televators in the middle of the landing pads. I dont like that there isnt anything to do in Athena. I do like the scenery though... perhaps there could be a way of attracting more players to Athena. Perhaps Shop Booths? PVP ring? Special Trade events at Athena? Player organised events?

Just flicking a few thoughts and ideas.

I do dislike certain aspects of Athena Spaceport. I dont like the Televators in the middle of the landing pads. I dont like that there isnt anything to do in Athena. I do like the scenery though... perhaps there could be a way of attracting more players to Athena. Perhaps Shop Booths? PVP ring? Special Trade events at Athena? Player organised events?

Well it could be helped with the implementation of the steps quoted below:
4) Add areas behind the hangars with terminals, auctions, crafting areas, areas for traders and services (like repairs), apartments, tunnels leading out into the wilderness beyond and big enough to drive vehicles in.
5) Add a central meeting point that everything is placed around, including the main teleporter.
7) Apartments/shops inside the cliff with seaview (windows through the rock)

The central point with the main teleporter could make a good trading point, but even better would be the placing of an indoors teleporter to a large room (it should fit in style with the rest of the place tho, ofc!) with shopping booths, tunnels leading to all other areas, etc but free from vehicles, forcing vehicle sellers to other spots and reducing lag for other traders that do not want to have to load a lot of vehicles and textures every time? :)

well seeing what you have in terms of ideas... I would say there really isnt much to change in Athena... the Platforms are all a fair distance from the central teleporters. So it really wouldnt be hard to make the central area a Vehicle free zone.

there is already alot of available space at Athena so i dont see why we need to have it dug into the rock. its all landscaping. I think Athena is pretty. I do like it... I dislike the lack of amenities.

BUT I am all for your Proposed idea. I like it.

there is already alot of available space at Athena so i dont see why we need to have it dug into the rock. its all landscaping. I think Athena is pretty. I do like it... I dislike the lack of amenities.

Problem is that people WILL spawn their vehicles at the teleporter, even if there are other places to do it... its how it works, sadly.

As for the underground areas, those would be perfect for the hangars, apartments, shops, etc with some booths and landing platforms at ground level. It would make sense to put hangars (both player owned and big non-playerowned for smaller ships to land in) underground to get them "out of the way" and "protected from robot assaults" and such. It would then also make sense, from a business PoW, to put shops and such down there behind them as people would be passing through there.

If the underground area is accessible by aircraft, boat, spacecraft, land vehicles and walking (through tunnels), etc it would mean a lot of people passing through there. It would make the place alive, as those arriving would do so through the underground (except those who fly in and land on top) meaning that it would be a bustling place where a decent shopkeeper could perhaps earn some PED from keeping an up-to-date stock.

To me, it seems most realistic that the hangars (and because of those also some shops, apartments, etc) would be underground while the main trading outpost of the city would be either underground or on top of the whole thing, and then along with landing platforms for easy access.

Not a bad set up. Of course, I think New Oxford is the city most overdue for a redesign. Every time I look at that pathetic deer mall I remember how much better VU 9 Oxford was.

I hope MindArk will have time to restructure cities like FPSEE did with PA/Chugs/the crater/etc.

FULL AGREE --- where is the city of culture?

A very good idea. The Vtol spawn problem at the teleporter could be solved with not allowed zone for vehicle.
For the hangars i see a problem to move all there. It couse much lag, i think. But maybe if they are inside a mountain, it is not a problem for the rendering.

Status
Back