Info: How to pass your account to your heirs

Siriane

Mature
Society
NBK Rangers
Siriane Dhyna Dreamrider
I just lost one of my fav people in here and while I knew it was coming I didn't know it would be so soon. The one discussion we never had was how he was going to pass his account on. Since he was pretty uber I'm sure there is significant value there. I think this true for anyone who has been in game for any length of time. The last post I could find on the topic was like ten years ago, so I filed a ticket. This is the response;

Should you pass away we will upon receiving your death certificate and verification transfer the ownership of your avatar to a family member or your chosen successor within the means we can verify.

After that they will be the new account holder and be able to use the account as they see fit.

Kind regards,
Ulf | Entropia Universe Support

Most of us have many thousands of PED in-world. I wish there was a more official method of naming a beneficiary for one's account.

If said family member or chosen successor should happen to be an Entropian (not at all unlikely)––what about multiple accounts?

Most of us have many thousands of PED in-world. I wish there was a more official method of naming a beneficiary for one's account.
The way I read it, send the death certificate and documentation of your chosen successor and they will honor it. Seems pretty official to me. On the less official side is their willingness to apparently transfer to a family member with just a death certificate, which seems pretty reasonable. Regardless, I'm updating the will.

The way I read it, send the death certificate and documentation of your chosen successor and they will honor it. Seems pretty official to me. On the less official side is their willingness to apparently transfer to a family member with just a death certificate, which seems pretty reasonable. Regardless, I'm updating the will.
I wish we could officially put our beneficiaries in our account details on the website with contact details. In the USA is is common for banks and investment accounts to have this ability. I know this is “just a game”, but it is high stakes for some of us.

I wish we could officially put our beneficiaries in our account details on the website with contact details. In the USA is is common for banks and investment accounts to have this ability. I know this is “just a game”, but it is high stakes for some of us.
That is great idea that I didn't even think about. Many account types do have a beneficiary clause of some sort.

I had a slightly more detailed response when I asked this question in a support case. Mine was something along the lines of:

"Ensure that you include 'the exclusive rights to my Entropia Universe account' in the list of assets which your successor gets probated with the court and once done, send it to us and we will transfer the account over."

So in your Will, in the section 'Assets', just make sure to list your Entropia Universe account in there as an asset.

I wish MA had a simpler method to liquidate the account of a passed away person.

Like an option for the family member to chose MA to automatically list all the account items on auc with SB+0 and transfer the family member the ped value of the account after all auction items has finished.

I’ve had my soc leader pass away with an account worth 500k+ and his family had no clue about entropia and no interest in games what so ever. I offered to assist in this matter, and explained his son in detail what to do. But after a few mails back and forth to mindark he just gave up because of the long process.

I wish MA had a simpler method to liquidate the account of a passed away person.

Like an option for the family member to chose MA to automatically list all the account items on auc with SB+0 and transfer the family member the ped value of the account after all auction items has finished.

I’ve had my soc leader pass away with an account worth 500k+ and his family had no clue about entropia and no interest in games what so ever. I offered to assist in this matter, and explained his son in detail what to do. But after a few mails back and forth to mindark he just gave up because of the long process.
This would actually be an ideal option IMHO. MindArk may not have incentive to do this though because of the locked up PED in an Uber's account. It is probably better for them to make it as cumbersome as possible really :(

They are also overlooking one thing - avatar name.
They should rename the avatar once they have proof of death. Ideally to a name chosen by the inheritor.
This would prevent any issues in game, where people may get distressed seeing someone they know is dead. It will also remove trust issues, after all the new owner has not earned the reputation of the old one, be that a good or bad rep. They should inherit all including skills but never the name.

Different countries, different rules.
In Germany even with a written will you can not give someone your house and the other only gets the cat.
Unless there is a good reason for excluding someone, close relatives (spouse, children) have a right to a share.
Allways a good thing to have a notary/lawyer set up the will, those hand written ones are not really a good idea.
And depending on the law you live in, you may have to pay taxes for what you get.

Not easy to thonk about ones own "final logoff", most don't, but sometimes it may be worth to handle it before that time comes (I haven't, my mother did "somehow" and I still have the mess she left).

Different countries, different rules.
In Germany even with a written will you can not give someone your house and the other only gets the cat.
Unless there is a good reason for excluding someone, close relatives (spouse, children) have a right to a share.
Allways a good thing to have a notary/lawyer set up the will, those hand written ones are not really a good idea.
And depending on the law you live in, you may have to pay taxes for what you get.

Not easy to thonk about ones own "final logoff", most don't, but sometimes it may be worth to handle it before that time comes (I haven't, my mother did "somehow" and I still have the mess she left).

According to section 16 of the ToU, we are bound by the laws of Sweden. What prompted my original question to MA was the poor description for including the account in a will in section 14. It seems to be truly prepared, one should probably do so under Swedish law to the extent it's possible.

This would actually be an ideal option IMHO. MindArk may not have incentive to do this though because of the locked up PED in an Uber's account. It is probably better for them to make it as cumbersome as possible really :(

The only sentence in the ToU about including the account in a will is in Section 14 and reads:

Notwithstanding the foregoing, Your Entropia Universe Account will be disposable by Your legal successors by inheritance subject to terms and limitations, as applicable by MindArk from time to time.

Worst sentence in the ToU which unfortunately goes to your point about things being cumbersome.

Yep. Kind of like insurance company:)

Back