How would you start a new character?

Superhal

Prowler
I think I'd get better answers here than in noob's corner, but mods can move if necessary.

I want to start a new character. Let's say my budget could be:

2k ped,
5k ped, or
10k ped.

My main goal is to use a UL wep, maybe get to ~lvl 80 in one of the weapon skills. My plan is to:

a. Hunt ~ 80%
b. Mine ~15% (for hps mainly) and
c. Craft ~5% (to sell skills/bps)

How would you start the new character using these budgets?

I think I'd get better answers here than in noob's corner, but mods can move if necessary.

2k ped,
5k ped, or
10k ped.

My main goal is to use a UL wep, maybe get to ~lvl 80 in one of the weapon skills. My plan is to:

a. Hunt ~ 80%
b. Mine ~15% (for hps mainly) and
c. Craft ~5% (to sell skills/bps)

How would you start the new character using these budgets?

:scratch2::scratch2:

2k ped,
5k ped, or
10k ped.

My main goal is to use a UL wep, maybe get to ~lvl 80 in one of the weapon skills.

Getting to level 80 is gonna cost you MUCH more than 10K PED, probably closer to 100K PED if you want to use it right..

But I'd say, chip up to level 14, buy an A106 and use the korss (L) until you get coolness. Then swap the a106 for a dante and use the apis + dante combo until you get combat sense. Then use the X1 (L) + dante until you get commando and max the svempa XT(L). Then you're set to go :)

No, I'm not planning to get to level 80 solely on that budget. I'm saying what equipment/strategy would you use to start a new character if your long term goal is to get to level 80 in a hunting profession.

Getting to level 80 is gonna cost you MUCH more than 10K PED, probably closer to 100K PED if you want to use it right..

But I'd say, chip up to level 14, buy an A106 and use the korss (L) until you get coolness. Then swap the a106 for a dante and use the apis + dante combo until you get combat sense. Then use the X1 (L) + dante until you get commando and max the svempa XT(L). Then you're set to go :)

So just skip the entire newbie thing and get to 14 right away?

Which armor (of course, 5b plates :)) would you recommend in the beginning? I was thinking of gnome/5b's but maybe with the korss I would need at least ghost? What's a good monster to grind with it? I was thinking of either baby atrax, small feffs or drones, although dodge wouldn't help me as much in the long run unless i stuck to bots and aimed for dasps. I was also thinking about a melee wep as a finisher to build strength.

Last edited:
Well, I'd probably say for the korss part, do small drones with any armour that has burn, kobold + 5c is what I used to use waaay back in the day (works perfectly). Once you get coolness and switch to the apis + dante, drones will be way under your level and I'd suggest moving on to another mob that drops stuff with markup. If you get gremlin + 5b at that point, you could probably switch to baby fescoquda, or team up with someone and do scipulor.

Edit: yea, you could also go for a melee finisher, the kesmek slo (level 6 shortblade) can be made for around 102% because it uses animal oil, and should give you enough strength and melee combat for a few extra HP.

for armour, get a set of shogun, 2a and 3b (for drones) plates, and you can refine this later, by using pixie or goblin or other small armour sets to save a few pecs decay.

If you hope to get to level 80 on a budget of 10k, you will not need ghost+5b until you are up to level 40 or higher.

there is no one way of progressing at a minimum cost. you've been in EU for a while, so you should have a fair idea of what mobs drop what. you should choose them based on what the market has a demand for and hope that it is enough to cover your expenses.

good luck on your journey!

Use laser handgun... p1a, p2a, p3a, p4a, p5a... kill kill kill whit p5a to commando (or KS), change to whatever gun you whant and hunt what ever you whant...
Some fast hp in melee, slo or something like that on a easy mission mob.

Mining, dont do it. Better to buy ~10ped TT off the skills if you realy need the tp.

Crafting, no point in it. Will cost you more to skill up then what you will get for the skills when you sell them.

But dont think the 10k will last that long...

Ps, this will take some years, and will not be fun all the way...

It's naughty to make a 2nd ava :cool:

Making a second avatar is not allowed, and you can get banned for it.

But for shitss and giggles, lets assume you can.

My first question is, why want to be uber???
My general idea of being uber is: Uber is buying things you don't need, with money you don't have, to impress people who don't matter.

Why not hone and tweak your current avatar to play whiting your level and as eco as possible?

I didn't deposit for at least 2 years, probably longer and still I do my things ingame and have fun.
I gain skills, maybe just not fast but I don't care.
I usually make profit or play even, sometimes I loose a little but I manage to recoup that
And personally I think thats whats it about.

I don't look at others, and I dont care about how well skilled they are.
It doesn't say anything to me, skills can be bought, experience needs to be earned.
And it's the experience that determine if you win or loose.

So ask yourself what you want.
Win or loose.

Regards,
Ion

It's naughty to make a 2nd ava :cool:

I emailed support about it. They said if I use the same email, I have to delete my first char first. If i use a diff email, I can transfer items to the new char first then delete it.

Why not hone and tweak your current avatar to play whiting your level and as eco as possible?

Whether anyone agrees with me or not, I feel like my ava is capped. You know how after X loots, you get a larger random roll that usually results in a mini or global? I feel like my random rolls are smaller than other people, and they're held to a lower roll. I went hunting with a soc mate, and the average loots were bigger and the loot was actually higher quality (e.g. brain oil instead of eye, for example.) Also, it seems like my balancing hits are out of whack. For example, i'm down 800-2k ped, my balancing hit never exceeds 275.

Also, my current ava is male. I will probably save ~50% MU on female armor.

Also, it seems like each ava is keyed towards a certain profession. My current ava seems to get larger balancing hits in crafting, but I prefer to mine/hunt.

Last edited:
Whether anyone agrees with me or not, I feel like my ava is capped. You know how after X loots, you get a larger random roll that usually results in a mini or global? I feel like my random rolls are smaller than other people, and they're held to a lower roll. I went hunting with a soc mate, and the average loots were bigger and the loot was actually higher quality (e.g. brain oil instead of eye, for example.) Also, it seems like my balancing hits are out of whack. For example, i'm down 800-2k ped, my balancing hit never exceeds 275.

Also, it seems like each ava is keyed towards a certain profession. My current ava seems to get larger balancing hits in crafting, but I prefer to mine/hunt.

I feel your pain here...
I experienced the same - while noob I hitted few nice hits in minning (XX+XXI for example), hitted that combi bellow and it had to be returned to system.
So my loots went down and because I never had big turneover, it lasted almost 2 yrs...
But somehow I survived.
Try do it too. Its far better than create new avatar.

And making a new ava solves this?

Or what if your next ava is "geared" toward tailoring?

I doubt you keep making new ava's until you have one you think that works.

Personaly I think you have to find the balance yourself, not your ava.

Regards,
Ion

Plan so far on 5k budget:

Set of Gremlin F + 5B's: 913 peds
Skills:
100 ped of BLP Tech
100 ped of Handgun
100 ped of Rifle
100 ped of First Aid
0 ped of Anatomy (will transfer from current character, probably ~3k worth)
300-600 ped of Evade
~700-1k peds total.

Fap: depends on effect of anatomy/first aid above. Between 40-93 for either fap 28, 50, or 80.

Weapons:
Beast: 203
(maybe) Marber Bravo: 263
(maybe): a104: 199
Cutter 1 L: 43

Remaining: ~2.5k

Am I forgetting anything?

There's two ways I can see to boost a newbie fastest using UL equip: Using the missions, and not using them.

Missions Method Equipment (focusing on the laser pistol path):
  • Opalo tagger
  • TT power fist
  • Gremlin
  • Vivo T1
  • Fap-50
  • No chipping

Start by doing the daika mission. Opalo tag once, then finish w/ PF. Wear only harness to reduce occasional hits. Fap back to full w/ fap-5 between every mob (to help skilling). When you're finished, take the handgun skills.

Whenever HG is a skill choice, take it.

Move to merp mission. Same hunting style (may need to wear more armor parts depending how often you get mobbed)

Next is rippers. At this time, you can sell the melee skills you gained that don't affect health/evade and use that money to buy A101. Use opalo/A101 + M2100 finisher. Whatever you picked on merp mission, get the opposite on this one.

Corns. Buy Ep-40 + A104 (Or A105 if you can afford it). This will be your gun for a long time. Buy 2A if you feel you need them. (You can sell the A101 at this point)

Next is merp bronze (could do it sooner if you aren't sick of them yet, but use Ep-40.)

Foul next.
Then argo.
Then Hiryuu (need to buy a tagger for this)
Then argo bronze. (buy 5A if you need them) Will likely need a fap-80 by this point
Then molisk.
Buy 5B and do armax.
Buy Ep-41 and do feffs. Sell the korss you get, don't use them. Try to buy fap-90 by now.
Now atrox.
Then kreltin. Upgrade to Fap-110 or better if you can.
Then aurli.

At this point, you should have come along rather nicely, plus whatever new missions are available by the time you finish all this. If you can ever afford better Dmg/sec laser pistol than the Ep-40 go ahead, but it'll cost a lot to jump from here. Actually if at any point you can afford appropriate UL SIB equip go for it, otherwise the equip I mentioned will work just fine. Also tiering or not is strictly your option.

I skipped a few missions, such as droka on purpose (the bot missions). But if you wish to do them as well, obviously you'll need 6As. And I would suggest not doing them until at least after the feff mission.

If you do any mining/crafting on the side, do it only by dropping bombs/probes while in the missions. Sell none of it, but use it to craft with instead. The choices of what to craft depend highly on materials based on where you're hunting + your knowledge of the markets.

The non-mission version is a bit more complicated, So I'll just leave this as is.

Fun is in avatar progress.
So dont run to end of game.

There's two ways I can see to boost a newbie fastest using UL equip: Using the missions, and not using them.

ep-40 won't make you go broke? I experimented with it and the mkII and the cost was roughly 33-50% higher per kill than maxxed L with equal dps.

My question wasn't using the UL, but getting to UL in the long run.

Good ideas though, I like the idea of getting the one shot in there for skills.

ep-40 won't make you go broke?

I've discussed (L) vs UL at lower skill levels in plenty of threads, and have no wish to derail your conversation here, so I'll just say that I'm quite comfortable with offering that advice. :yup:

However, if you feel the need to use maxed (L) weapons, then simply adjust as needed. The basic idea is simple: Follow the mission ladders.

I've discussed (L) vs UL at lower skill levels in plenty of threads, and have no wish to derail your conversation here, so I'll just say that I'm quite comfortable with offering that advice. :yup:

However, if you feel the need to use maxed (L) weapons, then simply adjust as needed. The basic idea is simple: Follow the mission ladders.

Can you give me the links to these threads or pm me your ideas about this issue?

I am seriously debating just using ul weapons but I can't find a single good argument for them.

Whether you agree with me or not, the armor discount is still worth it.

ye i think ill have to dissagre there, since u bougth a Gremlin:scratch2:

Plan so far on 5k budget:

Set of Gremlin F + 5B's: 913 peds
Fap: depends on effect of anatomy/first aid above. Between 40-93 for either fap 28, 50, or 80.

Weapons:
Beast: 203
(maybe) Marber Bravo: 263
(maybe): a104: 199
Cutter 1 L: 43
Remaining: ~2.5k

Am I forgetting anything?

:scratch2::scratch2: idk a pistol, rifle maybe? or u gonna put the Beast on the cutter?

Last edited:
Can you give me the links to these threads or pm me your ideas about this issue?

I am seriously debating just using ul weapons but I can't find a single good argument for them.

Best example is here. Also a smaller test version I did before that. Plus a ripper camping test I did. Note that even after mixing up lots of eco and uneco weapons, I still ended up w/ 93% TT return.

Now search for "blog" in the hunting section, and start comparing TT spend and TT returns. There are very, very few exceptions where the % return is very similar, regardless of weapon or mob.

When I started this avatar (not my first), I used ep-40 with scopes and sights and +104 amp in the beginning, but the DPS is very low imo. I chipped up to having korss h400 maxed and used it instead. I dont remember how much it costed but imo it was worth it.

Killing atrox for example was pain in the ass without any skills.

Back