Hunt for a HoF

Good, must be fun, yes, but ! i dont like the fact that its a commercial for team england.... I doubt that if someone will write something simmiliar for example for team portugal that it will be pasted on the main page.

Im almost to hit -rep button to you all, be ashamed.

If you ever did anything worthwhile and positive in EU maybe you would make the front page too.

Kill-stealing doesn't count by the way.

Great article Pinky, thanks to everyone who showed up, and of course George for organising it all :)

Good, must be fun, yes, but ! i dont like the fact that its a commercial for team england.... I doubt that if someone will write something simmiliar for example for team portugal that it will be pasted on the main page.

Im almost to hit -rep button to you all, be ashamed.

I would be happy to cover any event organised by the portugal WoF team, providing it is open to everyone to join.

Please pm me if you would like to dicuss further :)

I would also point out to all, that although the England Squad organised this event, the event was designed to get more people joining in the WoF from all over the world. Indeed, there were people from just about every country in the WoF represented on this hunt. At no point did anyone try to get them to sign up to the England team on the hunt and at no point in the article did anyone mention joining the England team - they did mention joining the WoF in general. The article goes out of its way to promote the WoF, making the point ANYONE can make a difference to their countries team.
Anyone can submit an article to the forum at any time for 711 (an american ;)) to consider for publication. Or anyone can email one of the reporters to write an article. I would be happy to write up any events anyone does, providing they are open to all and of a reasonable level of interest (e.g. 6 people on a snable hunt doesn't cut it! :D)

Last edited:
Not quite sure why you quoted me then the reply unless your "stop bitching" comment was directed at me also.

If it is then i suggest you pull your head in because if i wanted to bitch and make an issue of it I would and it would not have been the short playful response that i gave.

If you care to take the time to read some of previous posts in this forum you will see that when i have an issue with something i will go into detail and explain myself.

And tbh i say +rep to the organiser its a great idea and bloody clever,they have put a lot of effort into it but that doesnt detract from the fact that the whole hunt is originated as recruiting for WoF England and therefore this is an extension of that by default.

Whether its a conflict of interest or just a clever tactic for exposure we can debate til the cows come home and still not find an agreement ;)
my entire post was directed at you, enough said though i think as you say we could carry on all day :) ive lost the will to argue lol

my entire post was directed at you, enough said though i think as you say we could carry on all day :) ive lost the will to argue lol

In that case pull your head in :rolleyes:

shit haha. my entire post wasnt directed at you, it was directed at the pw3cka. i quoated u and pinky because he was moaning that not everyone could get a front page thing. so yeah misunderstanding. there will be no pulling of heads in any direction ;)

shit haha. my entire post wasnt directed at you, it was directed at the pw3cka. i quoated u and pinky because he was moaning that not everyone could get a front page thing. so yeah misunderstanding. there will be no pulling of heads in any direction ;)

lool ok then maybe no need to pull it in just use it a bit better next time :silly2:;)

hehe cant argue with that :laugh: perhaps i should read who is posting before replying

Nice event!

wish I was there :)

good job organizing it!

It was fun as hell.

:yay:

Glad Spike pulled me into that one :D

Sounds like great fun.

Would love it if the England WoF team would share more details on the logistics of setting up the teams and loot splitting so others could organize these same type of hunts outside of WoF. This sounds like something me and a few friends might be able to organize on a bit smaller scale in the quieter North American evenings.

Completely understand if you want to wait until this year's WoF is over ;)

You'll find most of the answers here (first and second post especially):
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/events/154410-wof-opalo-hunt-4-hof-ii.html

Some of the other parts are in Pinkys article, like meeting at one tp separate from destination. Once a team is formed they move out to destination. Idea is to clear the meeting area as quick as possible. If you don't do that it could take hours to organise teams rather than mins.

We also had New Oxford as a wormhole start point to destination. For people who didn't have Omegaton West Habitat tp (our destination). So when a team moved to Omegaton I'd tell team captain to send anyone who doesn't have tp to wait at New Oxford. Nadie would make a wormhole there. We had a few hickups mind you like one dude started running south to Omegaton from New Oxford and was told to go back! lol he must have been too eager to bash the spiders:)

The key to the succes of something like this is communication and forward planning. Took quite a few pm's and such to get it all together like who will be captain etc. Predicting how many captains you may need can be tricky to. Thats why i requested people to post on the thread but that can put some people off, benefit is it gives you an indicator of how many are likely to turn up and plan accordingly.

Picking the mob for the hunt and location is crucial. In the last hunt i insisted on a big Physical mob and opted for Grand Formidon it was a success but the difficulty there were the ability of players who died to get back to the main team as sometimes they would revive in a different LA. So for this one I relaxed the size rule and selected a good location. This time we revived well but found that spiders were too small for everyone to shoot at same time- some players would shoot other players and waste ammo;)

Hopefully for the next one we'll get both mob and location right.

Most is just knowing what you want to achieve and thinking how you can get it. You don't have to do it this way maybe you can come up with better ways. I learnt a few things on this hunt and in the next one may well do things a bit differently.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Good luck with your opalo hunt. If you need more advice do ask :)

I would also point out to all, that although the England Squad organised this event, the event was designed to get more people joining in the WoF from all over the world. Indeed, there were people from just about every country in the WoF represented on this hunt.

Pinky is right.

The whole idea for this hunt originated when some of the England squad were talking about how people perceive WoF. Many people think you need high end uber items and a high level of skills to participate. This is really not the case. Anyway, it's from this initial discussion that I came up with the opalo hunt. To show that it really is not about skills and equipment - that Anyone can participate.

I remembered my own early days, when I had heard of a tt weapon hunt that a soc had done and wanted to join but never did find out where and how to join. I wasn't even a member of this forum then. I joined the forum months after I had been playing. Anyway, I remembered that feeling and wanted to give something back, fun for other people who may be in the stage I was all those many moons ago. Something fun and exciting to do which doesn't cost an arm and leg.

This is why i love pe...just 4 what u guys did..i missed it because i DIDNT KNOW me bad...PLS put me down for next 1. and any info on the next 1. just message me pinky with info. ty..:wtg:

Excellent report your pinkness !

In fairness to the other teams in WOF, I will temporarily move this article off of the front page until after the WOF Semifinals.

It was my mistake to not reailze the WOF Team UK tie-in with this event, and the fact that it was mainly a supporter recruiting effort. In my haste, I did not read the article as closely as I should have.

My apologies to any other WOF teams who felt the posting of this article on the EF frontpage seemed unfair.

I have moved the article to the Events forum until after the semifinal round is complete.

**EDIT**

Let me be clear: by no means do I wish to imply that PINKY was doing anything unethical or underhanded. Nor do I believe that she was trying to gain any kind of advantage for Team England by writing this article, or by submitting it to me for publishing on the EF frontpage.

Last edited:
It was my mistake to not reailze the WOF Team UK tie-in with this event, and the fact that it was mainly a supporter recruiting effort.

Ok, if you want it off the front page, it's your forum, so whatever....

However, I would very much appreciate it if you retract the statement I have quoted above. Unless you can explain to me exactly which part of the article suggests people join the England team rather than the whole event.
You are currently accusing me of very low ethical standards, and while I can understand in hindsight why some may object to the article (even if I dont happen to agree with them) it does not excuse making opinion based statments as fact. There was simply no mention or attempt of recruitment to one specific team in the article (and that is a fact!)

In short, from your statement I am either a cheat or unethical and as there is no basis of fact for such an accusation I formally request you edit your post to reflect the error.

Ok, if you want it off the front page, it's your forum, so whatever....

However, I would very much appreciate it if you retract the statement I have quoted above. Unless you can explain to me exactly which part of the article suggests people join the England team rather than the whole event.

I think you misunderstand my quote PINKY.

It was my mistake to not reailze the WOF Team UK tie-in with this event, and the fact that it was mainly a supporter recruiting effort.

which seems quite clear that when I say "and the fact that it was mainly a supporter recruiting effort," I am referring to the event itself, not your article.

You are currently accusing me of very low ethical standards, and while I can understand in hindsight why some may object to the article (even if I dont happen to agree with them) it does not excuse making opinion based statments as fact. There was simply no mention or attempt of recruitment to one specific team in the article (and that is a fact!)

In short, from your statement I am either a cheat or unethical and as there is no basis of fact for such an accusation I formally request you edit your post to reflect the error.

I would certainly never accuse you of any such things, PINKY. My apologies if it appeared that way. I have edited my earlier post in this thread to make things more clear:

**EDIT**
Let me be clear: by no means do I wish to imply that PINKY was doing anything unethical or underhanded. Nor do I believe that she was trying to gain any kind of advantage for Team England by writing this article, or by submitting it to me for publishing on the EF frontpage.

I responded to your other points via private message, here is an excerpt of my responses:

Priv Message from 711 to PINKY said:
Please understand: if anyone is at fault here, it's me, not you by any means. I should have read the article (and event thread) more closely before publishing your article on the EF front page.

In my response post in the article thread, I certainly did not wish to imply any wrongdoing on your part, or to accuse you in any way of low ethical standards or cheating. I will review my post in the thread, and if there is anything that might suggest such, I will edit, clarify and apologize.

Again, I agree that your article does not in any way solicit support for WOF Team England. You did nothing wrong in the article.

However, the event that your article covers was clearly a very respectable and exciting way to recruit new players to WOF in general, and Team England in particular.

As such, and to avoid any appearances of favortism afforded to EF staff or reporters, I felt it was best to move the article off of the front page for the two days until the semifinal round is completed.

I hope you understand my position PINKY. If I leave the article on the front page, many people will (somewhat understandably, in my opinion) feel that it constitutes unfair exposure for one of the teams still competiting. If I remove it, I seem to be accused of censorship by you.

I have to do what I think is fairest for everyone involved. After thinking about it all again, I stand by my decision that the article should stay off the front page until after the semis.

I hope this doesn't read wrong, I'm a little annoyed that negativity has crept into this fun event so forgive me if it shows a little ;)

This wasn't the first England WOF team opalo hunt, the last one was fun but as a recruiting tool just about useless as not many, if any, new guys turned out for the England support from that....not surprising since most guys were from other countries really.

I was one of the first team leaders to arrive, and set the team name, after a chat with George...and it was "WOF opalo hunt" and my name to differentiate if from other teams...NO ENGLAND in there at all so it wasn't even a good promo via global messages. Although the team leaders were England guys and girls, had the numbers grown too much George had plans to get TRUSTED friends to do the job ...George plans well, and trust is key in this type of event as everyone must realise.

Pinky discussed reporting this, she came and filmed it, wrote the report, then published it when ready....like ALL reporters do. No more then that. As she said, if anyone else had run something similar (which no-one did), she'd do the same for that event. IF she had refused to do so, that would be unfair ..but this hunt was the only game in town.

It would be cool if some new guys turned up for England in the WOF rounds to come, it would be more down to seeing a well run team and hunting with great people and knowing that WOF isn't something just for ubers than any promotional slant. It's easier to team up with someone you know than a stranger ....and some teams in this hunt were socs, some were nationality based...so they could just as easily have done some recruiting had they felt like it.

It was about fun, if t was about loot or recruiting it failed.....the fun part was a resounding success, and hopefully so will Pinky's report be as a REAL recruitment tool for the next one.

Please don't mar something good like this, instead why don't you go and do something to beat it and we'll all come and join in. ;)

t

which seems quite clear that when I say "and the fact that it was mainly a supporter recruiting effort," I am referring to the event itself, not your article.

..and you are mistaken. Like Timmers says, why wouldn't they have put "England" in the team names if it was "mainly" a recruitment drive for Team England.

I have had a chance to sleep and calm down a little now, so sorry for berating you for the decision. You, after all have responded to complains made to you via PM and had to make a decision and like I said, although I disagree with it, I understand why you made it.

In fairness, there is one single element that the event was used as a promotion tool, which while not being advertised in the story, was to make this years England WoF video to try drum up support. So there are a number of shots from the hunt in a video about to be published in another thread. Still didn't affect the story though, nor was in the "main" reason for the hunt.

I remain angry at the PM complainers, cowards that they are - hiding behind anonymity. Although I will look at the positive side, this thread has now recruited one more player to the England team. Me. Whilst I have not played a single match this year and have skills a four day old noob would laugh at, I will fight with the England team as its the one sure way i know I will be kicking the arses of every anonymous whinger in the WoF. Beware the angry Pink person!

Seeing as this is no longer a front page article and has already been accused of being a recruitment drive, I see no reason why I can't post the New England Video on this thread.

Once again looking at the positive side, the scared anonymous complainers have assurred this thread is going to get a massive audience now as people will search it out to find out why it is no longer on the front page. For that reason, this thread has just turned into their worst nightmare...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglKB4pN7G4[/YOUTUBE]​

My 2 pec as a participant.

I've never ever seen it as an event to recruit allies or whatever.
Yes, the team I was in had WoF England in the name, but hey, it was the WoF England team that organised it. I considered it as a nice thing to the community.

And never ever before, during or after the event, I was asked for support for the England WoF team.

Also if I read Pinky's story ,I do not see an advertisement or so in it (apart from the name of the event, but Pinky is hardly to blame for that). It is just a good coverage of a very nice and massive event, which as such IMHO deserves to be in the front page.

Dutchie

In fairness, there is one single element that the event was used as a promotion tool, which while not being advertised in the story, was to make this years England WoF video to try drum up support. So there are a number of shots from the hunt in a video about to be published in another thread. Still didn't affect the story though, nor was in the "main" reason for the hunt.

I remain angry at the PM complainers, cowards that they are - hiding behind anonymity. Although I will look at the positive side, this thread has now recruited one more player to the England team. Me. Whilst I have not played a single match this year and have skills a four day old noob would laugh at, I will fight with the England team as its the one sure way i know I will be kicking the arses of every anonymous whinger in the WoF. Beware the angry Pink person!

Seeing as this is no longer a front page article and has already been accused of being a recruitment drive, I see no reason why I can't post the New England Video on this thread.

Once again looking at the positive side, the scared anonymous complainers have assurred this thread is going to get a massive audience now as people will search it out to find out why it is no longer on the front page. For that reason, this thread has just turned into their worst nightmare...
First of all this post comes only from me and has nothing to do with the Australian WoF team.

Pinky as i said previously I had never intended to make an issue of this and i can tell you now that no-one got a pm from me about it!
Nor do i know of any other Australians making a complaint over it,It hasnt even been discussed at all between the team.

Having said all that though i am fairly dissappointed at your response here.

You say first you understand why the decision was made.
Some may interpret that as you saying...
"I understand the story wasnt completely impartial as it perhaps should have been for the front page at such a crucial time in the competition"-after all thats the reason it was moved and 711 said himself he can see the issue with it and he is still in the comp too,Is he one of the scared cowards too or is there perhaps some substance to the isssue?

But with the insults you've thrown around at anyone who dare question it thats not what you are saying at all is it?
What you really mean is "I understand everyone else is a whining complaining coward and you as the owner have to keep the whiners happy too :rolleyes:".

You've clearly still given no-one the credit that they may actually have a point.They are just scared whining cowards.

You're response here is a perfect example why people go to PM first when they cop that sort of crap for voicing their concerns.

Surely you can understand that any story regarding the WoF or anythign to do with it should be completely balanced and impartial at this late stage of the competition.
If you cannot see that your story didnt meet that criteria then i suggest you are too close to it and need to step back and take a look from an outsiders (or competitors)point of view.

The were teams named WoF Team Engalnd,most team leaders were from the England main team,Theres a guy in the main picture with england warpaint on now show me one reference to any other WoF team and I'll call it impartial.

Last edited:
The were teams named WoF Team Engalnd,Every team leader was from the England main team

Nope. I am not in the England Team, I have also not been an England team supporter during matches this year. And my team (I was one of the team leaders), that globalled once during the hunt was called "WoF Opalo Hunt ~ Spike"

Not getting into the other issues at play here, just correcting an assumption in your post :)

Nope. I am not in the England Team, I have also not been an England team supporter during matches this year. And my team (I was one of the team leaders), that globalled once during the hunt was called "WoF Opalo Hunt ~ Spike"

Not getting into the other issues at play here, just correcting an assumption in your post :)

Ok thank you for the correction.

I will edit "every" to "most" ;)

First of all this post comes only from me and has nothing to do with the Australian WoF team.

Pinky as i said previously I had never intended to make an issue of this and i can tell you now that no-one got a pm from me about it!
Nor do i know of any other Australians making a complaint over it,It hasnt even been discussed at all between the team.

I appreciate that hon. I didnt think it was you tbh - as you made you point in a fair concise manner within the thread itself.

Having said all that though i am fairly dissappointed at your response here.

You say first you understand why the decision was made.
Some may interpret that as you saying...
"I understand the story wasnt completely impartial as it perhaps should have been for the front page at such a crucial time in the competition"-after all thats the reason it was moved and 711 said himself he can see the issue with it and he is still in the comp too,Is he one of the scared cowards too or is there perhaps some substance to the isssue?

to clarify I do not "understand the story wasnt completely impartial." it quiet obviously was totally impartial, not once "beefing up" the engalnd team, nor advertising them, not soliciting for recruits. i simply reported they organised an event to promote the WoF as a whole. How is that biased?

I dont think 711 was a coward. i think he was responding to complaints. i have apologised to him for shouting at him and explained i understand his reasons for moving it, but do not agree with them.

But with the insults you've thrown around at anyone who dare question it thats not what you are saying at all is it?
What you really mean is "I understand everyone else is a whining complaining coward and you as the owner have to keep the whiners happy too :rolleyes:".

erm... YOU dared to question it. Did i throw any insults your way? No, i offered to make a report for you team if they organised an event.

i have made no accusations at anyone other than those that PM'd 711 whilst being too cowardly to do exactly what you did and comment on the thread.

You've clearly still given no-one the credit that they may actually have a point.They are just scared whining cowards.

The people who raised points on the thread i addressed in a clear consise manner that was polite and friendly. Did i call you a scared whining coward? no.

You're response here is a perfect example why people go to PM first when they cop that sort of crap for voicing their concerns.

My response came after the article was pulled with no discussion or even the curtosy to explain to me the writer why it was pulled other than the statements 711 made on this thread 9and you can read why i reacted badly to that above ;)) The response i made does in no way show an example of why people go to PM for voicing their concerns. in fact my responces to both you and the other person that voiced concerns (and the other guy was quiet insulting too!) was calm civilised and offered a service to both of you. How does that discourage people voicing their concerns.

Sneaky gits who go running to the boss behind a veil of secrecy though... them i have less time for and they simply dont deserve the respect i attempted to show you.

Surely you can understand that any story regarding the WoF or anythign to do with it should be completely balanced and impartial at this late stage of the competition.
If you cannot see that your story didnt meet that criteria then i suggest you are too close to it and need to step back and take a look from an outsiders (or competitors)point of view.

perhaps you should step back after seeing things that were not there... that works both ways. That said, considering up to this point i had nothing to do with the WoF for months, having been involved in no matches, i would say my "distance" from the event is considerably more than yours...

The were teams named WoF Team Engalnd,Every team leader was from the England main team,Theres a guy in the main picture with england warpaint on now show me one reference to any other WoF team and I'll call it impartial.

And here you are completely wrong. Firstly, the team leaders were not all from the main england team. In fact they were not even all england team members at all... The captain of the Wales squad was one of them for a start and I was another (who hasnt even played in the event!).

Secondly the teams were not called WoF Team England - and if there was one called that it was a mistake. I was told to call my tean WoF opalo hunt ~ Pinky and Spike from TDO was the same. i have seen Dutchies coment and can only assume that was a one off as george made it quiete clear what the team names were supposed to be.

Thirdly the guy in the main picture wore an england mask - yes, in hindsight i should have asked him to take that off for the forum photo, but to be honest, it never even occurred to me that wearing an England flag mask might result in all the brainless zombies in the forum reading the article to sign up to the England team. Well, that or perhaps i gave them more credit than that... :rolleyes:

Honestly Jod, i have every respect for you, but honestly feel the problem here is other peoples closeness to the competition and their sensitivities to it rather than mine! It's very close to an example of political correctness gone made - seeing insults, coercion, and bias in a completely inocent article written to promote an event we can all participate in. Anyway, i have had my rant and you made me go 10 mins over my lunch break! Damn you! :laugh:

Last edited:
Just to point out, like Spike, I am not on Team England, I was a team leader and named my team as Ace chose, which was WoF Opalo Hunt 4 Hof II. I was aware of course that some of Team England were involved in planning this event, but I went along for the fun of a big opalo hunt, just like the first one on Grand Formidons, and I led a team because my friend and soc mate Ace asked me to.

It was great fun, got the name WoF out there, which I believe was the idea, I was not told anything about it being a team 'recruitment' drive in any way and I never saw it that way, as a WoF judge I am impartial and honestly wish the best of luck to all the remaining teams, so would have also gone along for a fun hunt event if the members of any other Wof team had organized something like this for the community too.

We were told that Pinky would be doing a video of the event, and we all lined up and did our little march for the opening of that video, but I never heard word one about that video being a recruitment vid for Team England, just a video of the event. It's a fun video, but in hindsight it might have been better to make sure everyone was aware of the purpose, as the teams consisted of all sorts of people from different countries, and yes, some might not have chosen to be in a recruitment vid for one Wof team if they had realized.

Great effort Ace, fun hunt, and best of luck to all in the semi finals this weekend. Wof On!

PS I read Pinky's report on the front page as a report on the WoF Opalo Hunt, simple, nothing in it read as a recruitment effort to me, but I do understand at this stage the tensions and competition between teams is high, that is to be expected as people take Wof very seriously, so I understand 711's decision to move the thread for now due to complaints of the article being potentially biased toward one team (from the perspective of other teams, whether intended or not).

Last edited:
We were told that Pinky would be doing a video of the event, and we all lined up and did our little march for the opening of that video, but I never heard word one about that video being a recruitment vid for Team England, just a video of the event. It's a fun video, but in hindsight it might have been better to make sure everyone was aware of the purpose, as the teams consisted of all sorts of people from different countries, and yes, some might not have chosen to be in a recruitment vid for one Wof team if they had realized.

Apologies Lee - I did shout out a couple of times both in atlas and Omegaton that I would be doing an "England" video, but in hindsight perhaps making that a little clearer would have been better... ;)

i might add that whilst filming people in this video no one was asked to sign up to England nor was any attempt made to "big up" the england team.

Back