Question: Hunting or mining?

Mooney1984

Young
So I made an ava the other day, and played around with the tutorial section.

I understand that breaking even is close to impossible as a newbie hunter/miner, for obvious reasons.

However, if I am gonna stick with either hunting or mining, what profession would you recommend?

I don't plan on getting rich in this game, I am in it for the fun, but would strive towards a goal where I break even.

Let's say I "invest" 100$ a month, to hunt and build up my skills, will there ever be a point skillwise where the return can get me to break even? Or is it all based on pure luck and be at the right spot at the right time to loot that UL/HoF that puts you over the top.

I understand that this game is both an investment in time and money, so I don't expect to be able to break even the first year or two.

Anyway I'd like to hear your opinions on hunting and mining and how you regard each profession in regards to potential return.

The obvious answer is "do what you enjoy", but I enjoy both and have budget for one, that's why I am asking :)

I have read on the forums and checked entropedia and such to figure out "eco hunting" and what weapons to start out with etc.

Another question, if I go with hunting, do you guys recommend sticking to the mission mobs or should I chase mobs that give loot you can actually sell to others? (if there are any at noob level)

I enjoy both and have budget for one

Nope. You have budged for both ... untill the only thing that can make you smile is ATH - then you will transform in forum troll.

I don't expect to be able to break even the first year or two.

make that 10 or 20 and you wont be disapointed :laugh:

If your budged is 20$ choose hunting but with 100$ do both.

Nope. You have budged for both ... untill the only thing that can make you smile is ATH - then you will transform in forum troll.

You sure? From what I understand a "standard" goal should be to have around 1000-1500 $ as a bankroll for a profession so you can hold on to loot until you have stacks worth selling.

make that 10 or 20 and you wont be disapointed :laugh:

If your budged is 20$ choose hunting but with 100$ do both.

10-20 years to break even? I was thinking that 2 years of quest grinding would be enough to build up the skills you need, and at that point it is more based on playing "smart"?

Let's say I "invest" 100$ a month, to hunt and build up my skills, will there ever be a point skillwise where the return can get me to break even?

Dont want to be negative, but...
Straight answer is no!
The more you "invest" in hunting or mining, the more you loose!
If you just want to play for run and brake even, go grab you X-box

You sure? From what I understand a "standard" goal should be to have around 1000-1500 $ as a bankroll for a profession so you can hold on to loot until you have stacks worth selling.

10-20 years to break even? I was thinking that 2 years of quest grinding would be enough to build up the skills you need, and at that point it is more based on playing "smart"?

smart play yes...but no insurance...you need a good mentor

I have a mining friend who has been able to break-even from the first day he began dropping bombs. I'm afraid you won't find much help on these forums, as this game provides 0 incentive for helping others; in fact, doing so directly enables those you arm with good information to one day takeover your niche.

In recognizing the importance of a proper bankroll, you're already well ahead of the average player here. I'm no miner, but I honestly believe your best course of action would be to start with that, learn mineral locations and % swings, and use any profit to fund your hunting, if you desire to do both.

Good luck to you :)

Dont want to be negative, but...
Straight answer is no!
The more you "invest" in hunting or mining, the more you loose!
If you just want to play for run and brake even, go grab you X-box

So if you don't play for fun, and you don't play for breaking even, why do you play?

I have a mining friend who has been able to break-even from the first day he began dropping bombs. I'm afraid you won't find much help on these forums, as this game provides 0 incentive for helping others; in fact, doing so directly enables those you arm with good information to one day takeover your niche.

In recognizing the importance of a proper bankroll, you're already well ahead of the average player here. I'm no miner, but I honestly believe your best course of action would be to start with that, learn mineral locations and % swings, and use any profit to fund your hunting, if you desire to do both.

Good luck to you :)

Thanks for your feedback, and good point regarding the information...sorry for asking I guess. :)

It seems that people lean towards mining as a starter profession with the potential to transition over to hunting once I have built up my ped card, so think that is what I'll do.

It seems that people lean towards mining as a starter profession with the potential to transition over to hunting once I have built up my ped card, so think that is what I'll do.

you are still getting it wrong :D, it takes time to became a profitable miner. Most people won't even achieve that because , 1st - they don't have enough braincells, 2nd - It's just freaking hard anyway and you need bunch of luck.

So do not expect you jump into mining and start making peds lol. It's just that the profession is relatively cheap to start with and you can learn a lot about how the economy works on the way.

So far, Stryker's advice is best. There are many activities in game, lots of ways to lose peds and lots of ways to gain them. Also lots of reasons why people will give less than accurate information on the forums. Forums btw are home to a lot of "players" who don't really play. If you're willing to deposit 1000 ped then you've already got a great advantage over most other newbies.

Taking this as your goal:
I don't plan on getting rich in this game, I am in it for the fun, but would strive towards a goal where I break even.

Your best bets for break-even or profit play at the start are 1) trading, 2) some kind of service/job 3) mining. I have had disciples who have nearly broke even from the start on hunting, but I'd say most do lose money at it… no matter their level. This is because it's the most popular profession so there's little markup loot to be had on most mobs. Learning best "eco" practices minimizes this loss.

If mining is fun for you… Mining with proper techniques, you should profit long term (not "years" but after 5-20k ped cycled if not before) unless you mine areas that are too low MU (under 110%). I run a mining company on Arkadia and everyone who sticks to it profits eventually. Even though you may spend a long time in the hole, your balance really shouldn't go below -400 if you mine unamped. The problem with mining is collecting large enough stacks to sell on auction. If you mine an entire planet you will collect a huge number of different minerals and to stack them all to 100 ped size will require a big bank roll (~10k ped). So if you want to start mining with 1000 ped budget, stick to areas that give you 5 to 6 different minerals and sell each stack when it gets to 100 ped. Learning to use the auction to maximize your profit is a bit of a science as well.

I mentioned proper mining techniques and this is critical. Download and use LBML (mininglog.com), that's the best way to start out mining. The 3 keys to good returns are: 1) don't overlap your drops since that "wastes" a fraction of your probe on area you've already searched and 2) learn to recognize when an area is emptier than it should be (hit rate % is low) and move to another spot and 3) try to avoid building any other theories about mining… just keep dropping in regions where you get decent MU :) A mining mentor can be helpful, however there is a HUGE amount of misinformation about the subject floating around, so I would say use caution there. Only get a mining mentor who gets steady profit from mining.

Now if you find mining boring, then learn the best eco practices for hunting (minimize decay, minimize overkill, target best markup you can, sell what you can rather than TTing it, find the right size mob for your budget).

Last edited:
Some good points from a couple of people, but some just shitty negative points which you should ignore

Mining is a bit tough at the moment so you won't realistically be profiting using an F-101 on Eudoria with no skill so I would really drop that Idea, plus if you are happy depoing $100 per month (good for you I like you already) then that will easily be enough to hunt with up to I dunno maybe at least till you graduate and get your adj pixie, then you will get some plates and a slightly bigger weapon (than opalo lol) and etc.. But it's not going to cost too much.

My recommendation is hunting purely because at low levels you will be able to get TT return of 90-95% without having to cycle the amounts of stryker above. So when you get to higher levels, you will decide that you want to hunt a bigger range of mobs and you will make a depo to buy some nicer armor and weapon.. and hunt a bigger mob. That progression is inevitable if you enjoy the game and see yourself sticking around.

Be aware that higher you go the more you need to cycle as the volatility will come into play more hence why you heard you need XYZ bankroll from someone. You don't need to worry at low levels you can hunt with 20-50 ped ammo through a HK110 or something and do well.

I would do 70% hunting and 30% mining just so your gaining the skills for the future.

Or do what I did and spend like a week or two doing that profession and get a feel for it, then decide.

(I never could decide) :ahh:

But trust me no matter what you pick, if you stick here (hope you do, it gets more fun as you progress) then in a year or two you will want to be competing in events or hoffing or something that is an improvement on what you are doing now. So it's worth doing casual skilling just for that. Or it may be that you notice that dianthus MU is really high that month but - oh no - dont have the skill to dig that deep :(

You get what I'm saying? Pick the one you love but keep the other just ticking over on the side ;)

GL and hof it up :ahh:

Wow no wonder people read these forums then never play. So negative. You can profit from day 1 in this game from hunting and mining. Do not listen to or feed the trolls. Add "dar hammer dei" in game if your looking for advice. Ive done nothing but profit from cycling peds in this game.

GL and HF. Ignore the failures here :D

Wow no wonder people read these forums then never play. So negative. You can profit from day 1 in this game from hunting and mining. Do not listen to or feed the trolls. Add "dar hammer dei" in game if your looking for advice. Ive done nothing but profit from cycling peds in this game.

GL and HF. Ignore the failures here :D

As one of my best disciples, I would highly recommend Hammer as a mentor to anyone new or old.
He took what I taught him and added his own knowledge + the discipline I never had, and has done very well for himself.

So I made an ava the other day, and played around with the tutorial section.

I understand that breaking even is close to impossible as a newbie hunter/miner, for obvious reasons.

However, if I am gonna stick with either hunting or mining, what profession would you recommend?

Let's say I "invest" 100$ a month, to hunt and build up my skills, will there ever be a point skillwise where the return can get me to break even? Or is it all based on pure luck and be at the right spot at the right time to loot that UL/HoF that puts you over the top.

I understand that this game is both an investment in time and money, so I don't expect to be able to break even the first year or two.

Anyway I'd like to hear your opinions on hunting and mining and how you regard each profession in regards to potential return.

The obvious answer is "do what you enjoy", but I enjoy both and have budget for one, that's why I am asking :)

I have read on the forums and checked entropedia and such to figure out "eco hunting" and what weapons to start out with etc.

Another question, if I go with hunting, do you guys recommend sticking to the mission mobs or should I chase mobs that give loot you can actually sell to others? (if there are any at noob level)

100 bucks a month?

Sounds like you are smart to begin with.

What next after that deposit?

Get some mining gear and go looking for stuff? Or get a gun a go shooting shit?

Wow..... a tough choice on how you lose your money and get really pissed off in 2 days.

Try to imagine whatever you do will end in tears. Try to imagine another really important thing. You are not alone.

Losing money is not difficult, but I would personally hook up with a good healer and get a decent gun and go hunting semi-decent mobs. Skills will rock. Loot will be ok, chat will be ok and your healer will teach you a lot. Take mining off your list for now.

I will try to actually answer your question and leave the negativity out of it :p

I think its easier to break even from mining from the start. There are quite a few resources even a noobie with starter equipment will be finding on a regular basis that has decent markup (over 110%). Its hard to achieve that in hunting. And since you wont really be using any equipment you buy for markup, 110% will probably get you to break even.

So yeah i would try mining first.

Good luck out there :)

Sounds to me like you have your head screwed on straight from the beginning. Deposit some, don't expect too much at the first, build skills and have a ball doing it.

Get good advice on how to spend/invest what you deposit or it will disappear fast but you already know that. Play smart, research, keep good records (LittleBigMiningLog) and basicly you're playing a challenging, fun game and you *can* actually build some real-world monetary value into your avatar that can theoretically be "cashed out" if you ever tire of it all.

What other game allows you ANY return on your entertainment dollars? :)

Neil was too modest but check this out...lots of happy associates I hear:

http://www.greenleafmining.com/

Probably a good place to skill up and learn the ropes...

Last edited:

1. Mining - requires basic math & around 1k PED bankroll for starting (unamped), and if you're not imbecile - you will do good. Boring and painfully.

2. Crafting - requires way more bankroll, more math, and most important - shitloads of alts, in other case - you will be fucked by current 3 crafters. Battle for PECs on high turnovers, as seen on TV.

3. Hunt - less competition compared to craft (YES, NOWADAYS), but you need serious amount of skills, serious gear, and most important - serious knowledge.

4. A fucking reseller. Two tiers - pecwarrior (AH zombie with shitloads of alts (yes, again)), or, err, "professional" - buying expensive gear low - selling high. In first case you need be kind of autistic, in second case you need to talk shit or you will fail.

5. A fucking pirate - well, Aces High. Fuck knows, what they consume but they must have to, since in space no one can hear their scream.

4. A fucking reseller. Two tiers - pecwarrior (AH zombie with shitloads of alts (yes, again)), or, err, "professional" - buying expensive gear low - selling high. In first case you need be kind of autistic, in second case you need to talk shit or you will fail. \

Ore/ Enmat trading is still a profession you can do well. Pay fairly, have transparent pricing and you build your customers within days. Requires time, might be boring, but it's definitely a way to make some peds.

And yeah it's reselling, but if you do it right, you make both sides of chain happy :)

Ore/ Enmat trading is still a profession you can do well. Pay fairly, have transparent pricing and you build your customers within days. Requires time, might be boring, but it's definitely a way to make some peds.

And yeah it's reselling, but if you do it right, you make both sides of chain happy :)

Don't want to comment it (but I did), since it will be moderated and wiped away for half of possible violations including: namecalling, terrorism, personal attacks, extreme negativity, racism, nacism and necrozoopedophilia.

Thank you everyone for sharing, think I have a decent understanding of what I want to do, just wish I had picked Arkadia as starting planet, seems like the better choice.

Thank you everyone for sharing, think I have a decent understanding of what I want to do, just wish I had picked Arkadia as starting planet, seems like the better choice.

This means you have no idea whatsoever :D

This means you have no idea whatsoever :D

I get that Calypso is the main planet, but Arkadia seems better planned and structured. So if I am gonna mine, Arkadia seems like a better choice for me, because it will be easier to map, and record data on where I find specific ores and such.

If you are referring to the economy being less active on Arkadia, I guess you are right, but if everyone avoids a planet due to low population, it will never be remedied.

I get that Calypso is the main planet, but Arkadia seems better planned and structured. So if I am gonna mine, Arkadia seems like a better choice for me, because it will be easier to map, and record data on where I find specific ores and such.

If you are referring to the economy being less active on Arkadia, I guess you are right, but if everyone avoids a planet due to low population, it will never be remedied.

well now your saying you have decided to mine, and need to get to ark? thats different lol. Mining is boring anyway and depressing.. I mean you notice some miners are a bit weird so...

Just get a lift with someone

Tip: If their soc is called > "Nebula Virus Elite" you probably shouldn't get a lift with them :wise:

First of all
Welcome aboard :)
About your question you have already a bunch of good suggestions.
So, I don't want to be the smartass here.

But I read something you wrote and I can't left it drop
"...have stacks worth selling."
I see ppl saying that from time to time.
have stacks to worth selling? for what?
for better MU?
there is no such rule in trading.
If you mean for example extractors, hmmm maybe stack can be...(how can call it) "salable"? :) but in TT price.
In commerce there is only one rule -> bulk quantity (advantage for the buyer) = discount = low profit (for the seller)!
So if you plan from the start to make piles of items, good luck.

First of all
Welcome aboard :)
About your question you have already a bunch of good suggestions.
So, I don't want to be the smartass here.

But I read something you wrote and I can't left it drop
"...have stacks worth selling."
I see ppl saying that from time to time.
have stacks to worth selling? for what?
for better MU?
there is no such rule in trading.
If you mean for example extractors, hmmm maybe stack can be...(how can call it) "salable"? :) but in TT price.
In commerce there is only one rule -> bulk quantity (advantage for the buyer) = discount = low profit (for the seller)!
So if you plan from the start to make piles of items, good luck.

its more meant for selling via auction - with low stacks your 'profit' gets eaten up by AH fee...

dont sell to resellers at twins, sell to orders on AH :thumbup:

Back