Insights into our Golden Age

Brooklyn

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Brooklyn lyn York
As we enter this formal launch of the Entropia Universe billed as the Second Golden Age... I thought that maybe would could do some thinking about the broader philosophical issues facing us in this brave new Alternate way of living...

In doing my morning research into the archives of EF... I came across this Thread posted by Nasty Centurian back in Feburary

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ames-become-better-than-life.html#post1795847

With this video reference of a lecture by David Perry

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/david_perry_on_videogames.html

I think it has great reference here especailly since EU is mentioned

Recommend this lecture for all
as an interesting stimulating and insightful great piece of work
well worth viewing for many, many reasons...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

???What are your thoughts???

Or, to turn it round, life becomes virtual: for instance, yesterday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6217676/Immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist.html

"If we want to go into virtual-reality mode, nanobots will shut down brain signals and take us wherever we want to go. Virtual sex will become commonplace. And in our daily lives, hologram like figures will pop in our brain to explain what is happening."

Ouch, just think of the version updates!​

imho: i think u need more of RL

I'll just copy and paste my post from the other thread seeing as its relevant:

Nice lecture video. I remember Marco talking about when all the planets fall together, and how online worlds would one day involve us going to work within a virtual world, having meetings, going out (within online world).. essentially using the virtual world as an extension to the real world.

But i still see that day to be quite far away. At least 40 years or so. Mainly because theres a common stereotype where people think that doing anything in a virtual world is just plain weird. I get that sort of tone when i try to introduce EU to my friends. They're like, "okaaay..." even though the fundementals of EU is to be a game. If i said stuff like, people 'go to work' in this game and socialize in this game... they'd be like, "would you like a psychiatrist?". So nowadays i just keep quiet about what i do ingame. They think i'm playing COD4 when on pc

P.S its common fact that gaming and particularly virtual worlds will play a large part in peoples lives in the future.

Check out this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Singularity-Near-Raymond-Kurzweil/dp/0715635611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253706860&sr=8-1

It's staple reading for anyone interested in Futurism, Transhumanism and the coming Technological Singularity.

;)

"Inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil examines the next step in the evolutionary process of the union of human and machine. Kurzweil foresees the dawning of a new civilization where we will be able to transcend our biological limitations and amplify our creativity, combining our biological skills with the vastly greater capacity, speed and knowledge-sharing abilities of our creations. In practical terms, human ageing and illness will be reversed; pollution will be stopped and world hunger and poverty will be solved. There will be no clear distinction between human and machine, real reality and virtual reality. "The Singularity is Near" offers a view of the coming age that is both a dramatic culmination of centuries of technological ingenuity and a genuinely inspiring vision of our ultimate destiny."

"'Ray Kurzweil is the best person I know at predicting the future of artificial intelligence. His intriguing new book envisions a future in which information technologies have advanced so far and fast that they enable humanity to transcend its biological limitations - transforming our lives in ways we can't yet imagine"- Bill Gates

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntY01qoIdus[/YOUTUBE]

Will games beceom better than life? Undoubtedly. Games are becoming more real, the AI smarter, physics increasingly realistic. It's only a matter of time until we're capable of creating something as real looking as real life... virtually, and of course have the hardware to run it.

But the key difference is in the virtual world you're not limited, and pretty much can do anything. Given the choice of normal real life, and a realistic simulation of a gripping story, simulation or fantasy... then of course the latter is going to be considered better.

Some people think gaming addiction is a problem today. Wait until people have a chance at a porper alternate reality. ;)

One step closer to being the Borg. :laugh:

To borrow from Starship Troopers.... I would like to know more! :D

20090215-starshiptroopers-joinupnow.jpg

With this video reference of a lecture by David Perry:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/david_perry_on_videogames.html

I think it has great reference here especailly since EU is mentioned

Recommend this lecture for all
as an interesting stimulating and insightful great piece of work
well worth viewing for many, many reasons...

Wow, just watched the TED lecture and it brought back many great memories of games and machines that I've owned and played over the years.

I was born in 1980 in the UK and also remember owning a Sinclair ZX81, and then later various ZX Spectrum models from the "48K" with its rubber keyboard up to the ZX Spectrum +3 with its built-in 3-inch floppy disk drive.

They all seem positively archaic now. :laugh:

Then, of course, there was the obligatory Commodore 64, various Atari consoles, the ubiquitous "Nintendo Entertainment System", the Sega Master System, the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, the Game Boy and Atari Lynx, the NeoGeo, the Atari ST and the Commodore Amiga, the Super Nintendo (SNES), the Sega Saturn, the Atari Jaguar, the original Sony Playstation (PS1), the PS2, the Nintendo 64, the Dreamcast, the first XBox, the Xbox 360, the PS3 and now the Wii!!!

I guess that in 40 years from now the Grandkids will find this all highly amusing...

:laugh:

Wow, just watched the TED lecture and it brought back many great memories of games and machines that I've owned and played over the years.

Loved that part to.... We've come a long way baby...

I think it's exciting and little more than scary to be in the forefront of all of this challenge of our generation... It's like being at a significant point in the evolution of mankind... like when agriculture moved us and our consciousness out of the forest into permanent settlements...or the turn of twentieth century... when industrialism moved us and consiousness off the farm in the totlly artificial constucted human enviroments of our cities.... and now in the post information age... the first human movements and settelments into the matrix of an alternative universe... are moving us and consciousness to another level and concept of human existence...

so will our futures look like this

ot this

:scratch2:

*Rayne primative version of the brain sex chip was the orgasmitron in sleeper

Last edited:
imho: i think u need more of RL

To quote guys from the Swedish PirateBay court hearing when the prosecutor tells them to be more IRL and they answer, we are in RL we only talk about AFK.

For the moment my Golden Age is something called Astral Projection which is my and a few others VR...

Digital or cyber VR however will eventually become a massive part of our real life experience in my view. Interacting with everything from shopping malls, to machinery and PR campaigns, to playing games with real physical consequences (Apart from finances that is).

Last edited:
Loved that part to.... We've come a long way baby...

I think it's exciting and little more than scary to be in the forefront of all of this cahllenge of our generation... It's like being at a significant point in the evolution of mankind... like when agriculture move us out of the forest into perment settlements...or the turn of twentieth century... when industrialism moved us off the farm in the totlly artificial constucted human enviroments of our cities.... and now in the post information age... the first human movements and settelments into the matrix of an alternative universe...

so will our futures look like this

ot this

:scratch2:

*Rayne primative version of the brain sex chip was the orgasmitron in sleeper

OMG this is hilarious.

For a start..it's not evolution, evolution doesn't require you to pay an ISP or own the right graphics card...it's a RL only thing...what you are talking about is invention which can only happen IRL involves humans and never happens on it's own in a game.

Working in a virtual world like EU? YOu would? You'd risk someone wiping your income out with a series of sloppy coded updates or bugs as we just have ..or a lock ...or introducing something your hardware simply can't handle? All of which have just happened to people in EU very recently.

LEarn the difference between hype, promotion, fantasy and imagination...and the reality of life which is that this is a game and to play it requires quite a lot of RL income even to afford the machine to login never mind depositing.
MArco had millions of chinese coming into EU a while ago, and working in it on hundreds of planets...heard much about that recently or was that wishful thinking that maybe didn't work out?

How terribly sad it seems to me that people actually wish to abandon their lives and be virtual ...so many people don't get a full life span and would give anything for just a few days to enjoy RL.

When I see an uber with 300k skills and all those uber items...I have two thoughts, I am impressed because I know how hard they were to get and that I'll probably never get anywhere close , then I feel sad that someone has nothing to pry them away from a game and they wasted all that irreplacable time out of their lives in a game.

When you're 80 or 90 fading away on your deathbed...which will you remember with a smile? That Atrox uber HOF ...or that brilliant holiday or journey you had with someone special?

t

WOWEWA!

i just quote the whole post couse it's SOO good!
everybody pls read carefully again

OMG this is hilarious.

For a start..it's not evolution, evolution doesn't require you to pay an ISP or own the right graphics card...it's a RL only thing...what you are talking about is invention which can only happen IRL involves humans and never happens on it's own in a game.

Working in a virtual world like EU? YOu would? You'd risk someone wiping your income out with a series of sloppy coded updates or bugs as we just have ..or a lock ...or introducing something your hardware simply can't handle? All of which have just happened to people in EU very recently.

LEarn the difference between hype, promotion, fantasy and imagination...and the reality of life which is that this is a game and to play it requires quite a lot of RL income even to afford the machine to login never mind depositing.
MArco had millions of chinese coming into EU a while ago, and working in it on hundreds of planets...heard much about that recently or was that wishful thinking that maybe didn't work out?

How terribly sad it seems to me that people actually wish to abandon their lives and be virtual ...so many people don't get a full life span and would give anything for just a few days to enjoy RL.

When I see an uber with 300k skills and all those uber items...I have two thoughts, I am impressed because I know how hard they were to get and that I'll probably never get anywhere close , then I feel sad that someone has nothing to pry them away from a game and they wasted all that irreplacable time out of their lives in a game.

When you're 80 or 90 fading away on your deathbed...which will you remember with a smile? That Atrox uber HOF ...or that brilliant holiday or journey you had with someone special?

t

Looks like a good movie there.

The loony saying that in 10 years we'll be doing this...well in ten years they may just get (already discovered) drugs to beat cancer on the market ..and many other things that we really need badly, so that seems unlikely.

Have a quick look back to what we all thought the world would be like in 2000 a decade before it came to be....waaaay out and mad assumptions of flying cars and robots cleaning the house as routine and other sci-fi malarkey were predicted like facts. The few things that have actually happened (like mobile phones) have been very slow to take off and actually filled a need.

We should all be holidaying on the moon too shouldn't we? :silly2:

t

t

If you only did spend your time and money ingame you would probably only remember the Atrox HOF since you never went on holliday.:D

Looks like a good movie there.

The loony saying that in 10 years we'll be doing this...well in ten years they may just get (already discovered) drugs to beat cancer on the market ..and many other things that we really need badly, so that seems unlikely.

Have a quick look back to what we all thought the world would be like in 2000 a decade before it came to be....waaaay out and mad assumptions of flying cars and robots cleaning the house as routine and other sci-fi malarkey were predicted like facts. The few things that have actually happened (like mobile phones) have been very slow to take off and actually filled a need.

We should all be holidaying on the moon too shouldn't we? :silly2:

t
Bring back the blind beliefe in the future we (they, since I'm not old enough)had in the 50's.

OMG this is hilarious.

For a start..it's not evolution, evolution doesn't require you to pay an ISP or own the right graphics card...it's a RL only thing...what you are talking about is invention which can only happen IRL involves humans and never happens on it's own in a game...

Actually is does as being without a computer or a mobile device becomes more and more of a hinderance to effective living and psyhoological well being in today's world especailly if you're living in one of its post information age societies...

My uncle... who is 62... and hates computers and what they are doing to society but has one... came to visit me last weekend... He proudly held ou his left arm to show me he had replaced his wristwach with an I phone 3Gs...
I think he trying to impress me more with the unique wrist strap he created... but he couldn't wait to show me a picture of a comic strip from the 50's called Dick Tracy... He said I've been waiting for this all my life... and proceeded to plug in his memory stick into my computer... to show me some images he downloaded... told me he actually had one of these

I pointed out out to him that I camera was on the bottom facing his wrist... I know but they fix that in I pod 4Gs, I sent them a letter... I then got another word in and pointed out that they already have watches like that... to which he reponded... yeah I know but I don't have eyes like that...

Yesterday I ordered and e-mailed this... to his I phone....

Or you could be remembering... that Atrox uber Hof that you and that special loved one team hunted... as when you first met... on the plains of Endura in the SGA... granted a bit of a lagged and bugged memory... but those new types of memories are being created as we speak... did you watch the OP video?

Last edited:
Hi Brooklyn! LOL

Has anyone seen this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/

I think it is relevant to this post. I love this movie by the way. I love video games, but we need to have real human interaction or else there won't be any humans left!

I was born in 1980 in the UK and also remember owning a Sinclair ZX81, and then later various ZX Spectrum models from the "48K" with its rubber keyboard up to the ZX Spectrum +3 with its built-in 3-inch floppy disk drive.

They all seem positively archaic now. :laugh:

Then, of course, there was the obligatory Commodore 64, various Atari consoles, the ubiquitous "Nintendo Entertainment System", the Sega Master System, the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, the Game Boy and Atari Lynx, the NeoGeo, the Atari ST and the Commodore Amiga, the Super Nintendo (SNES), the Sega Saturn, the Atari Jaguar, the original Sony Playstation (PS1), the PS2, the Nintendo 64, the Dreamcast, the first XBox, the Xbox 360, the PS3 and now the Wii!!!

I guess that in 40 years from now the Grandkids will find this all highly amusing...

:laugh:

tongue-of-the-fatman_2.gif

Classic Activision game :D

That is the picture from one of the first computer games I played and tried to get to work on the old school computers with the real floppy disks.... It was released in 1989... I was born in 86 :D.... I think Im gonna try to find an emulator to play it... this thread brought back some old ass memories...

The game is called.... Tongue of the Fat Man.... it was like probably the first Side scrolling mash em up fighting games I ever played.....

Oh man tech/graphics have come so far... although AI is still very flawed at least in video games... I know in real important stuff databases and other AI is really good.....

I also remember playing Rise of the Triad at this store that has since moved... where you would stand up and play the game.... it was like the closest thing to actually playing the game IRL.... it was like what the Wii is but better cause it took into consideration steps.... and this was many years before the Wii.... maybe 10 years ago.... cant remember been a while.... Only shitty part was I had to play against my shitty mother, while my brother and dad played Duke Nukem 3d.

Oh another fun classic :D.... Jones in the Fast Lane an old sierra game :D.... was fun when I was young and realized its to easily beaten....

Last edited:
RL in a game would be in some kind of simulator I guess but in that case we would all be screwed. Becuse the machine runing the simulator would probarly trap us in there, just like in fallout 3. And I highly doubt that video games will be anything like real life.

BTW I know it will suck but theres the new Bruce Willis moving comming out about how you lie in a bed that connects you to your robot self... essentially being what you want to be... and lowering physical limits and aging.... not sure on all details of the movie... I imagine itll suck pretty hard.... some sort of conflict... some sort of girl.. some sort of love connection.... some sort of resolved happy ending.

Hi Brooklyn! LOL

Has anyone seen this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/

I think it is relevant to this post. I love this movie by the way. I love video games, but we need to have real human interaction or else there won't be any humans left!

Great movie and your right it does have relevance... going to try and if I can rent next week....for a rescan...

As for the rest...

It seems a lot of people and species
are advocating for a lot less us
:eek::cool::eek:

t

Firstly you shouldnt be sad for anyone who does what they enjoy, if they enjoyed golf they would be out playing golf and who's to say they arent out enjoying golf aswell.

Secondly it depends on how big that uber Atrox hof was :) as that might be the reason they got to go away with a special somone to start with from the proceeds of the item.

It's fine people saying oh they waste there lives or they spent all there money in a game but if that's what they want to do then goodluck to them. I myself got drunk every weekend for many many years growing up and partying and yes id love all that money back :) but man i had a good time spending it and some great mates from it all :wtg:

Im now 45 those years are well behind me i dont smoke, drink or do drugs all i do is mess with my computers, some gardening/ home maintenace, visit mates, go to the odd party but hey im happy as Larry and enjoy spending money in the game. So don't feel sad for me or others no matter what they are doing just realise they are doing what makes them smile :)

edit: oops i also have to work :) feel sad for me now for sure.

Last edited:
OMG this is hilarious.

To be fair timmmers and with all due respect, I believe that you have seriously missed the point here.

Firstly, the word "evolution" has multiple meanings in the English language and doesn't always necessarily strictly mean: "Darwinian evolution by means of natural selection" in the biological sense. It can also mean: "A gradual process in which something changes into something different", "change over time", or "a process of developing".

...what you are talking about is invention which can only happen IRL involves humans and never happens on it's own in a game.

Actually, this isn't true. I suggest reading the following Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_computation

This thread is about "virtual worlds" and technology in general, not just EU specifically, and don't forget that all the money that exists in your real life bank accounts is also "virtual" in the sense that it merely exists as numbers in a database and on various computer programs. A simple software failure can, and often has, rendered ATM Cash machines and VISA/Maestro Cards unusable so that one is effectively "locked out" of accessing and spending one's own money.

How terribly sad it seems to me that people actually wish to abandon their lives and be virtual ...

Why should anyone necessarily "abandon" their life to also enjoy whatever benefits virtual reality may bring? I play several MMOs, watch TV/movies, visit the cinema, talk on the telephone (the first real form of VR), listen to recorded music, and earn a living using a PC, none of which are "real experiences" in the limited conventional sense.

Virtual and augmented reality is increasingly merging with the "real" world, serving to enhance our lives, and soon any distinctions will be purely arbitrary. Here's just one example:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fZk0HaIs4s[/YOUTUBE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality

...then I feel sad that someone has nothing to pry them away from a game and they wasted all that irreplacable time out of their lives in a game.

This is merely your own subjective interpretation of how effectively someone else is spending their own time, and what value they place upon that time. For some, playing a “game” might be the perfect way to spend their time and they wouldn't consider that time “wasted” at all. After all, it's up to the individual how they choose to spend their own time and who are we to judge what is the right way and what is the wrong way?

Last edited:
I'd like to argue that it doesn't really matter if you live your life in the Real World or a virtual world. The brain gets stimulated either way, and that's what matters for the brain anyway. It's not like sensory inputs get ranked according to some reality scale - only the physical consequences of interaction are not present in the virtual world, so perhaps some degree of fear/tension/suspense are lessened.

I'd like to argue that it doesn't really matter if you live your life in the Real World or a virtual world. The brain gets stimulated either way, and that's what matters for the brain anyway. It's not like sensory inputs get ranked according to some reality scale - only the physical consequences of interaction are not present in the virtual world, so perhaps some degree of fear/tension/suspense are lessened.

I completely agree.

This is why I mentioned the telephone as the "first real form of VR". What we actually hear isn't the "real" voice of the person we are communicating with vibrating our eardrums, it is a digital recreation based on the 1's and 0's transmitted along the line and then reproduced by the speaker in the device that is really vibrating our eardrums.

Actually is does as being without a computer or a mobile device becomes more and more of a hinderance to effective living and psyhoological well being in today's world especailly if you're living in one of its post information age societies...

My uncle... who is 62... and hates computers and what they are doing to society but has one... came to visit me last weekend... He proudly held ou his left arm to show me he had replaced his wristwach with an I phone 3Gs...
I think he trying to impress me more with the unique wrist strap he created... but he couldn't wait to show me a picture of a comic strip from the 50's called Dick Tracy... He said I've been waiting for this all my life... and proceeded to plug in his memory stick into my computer... to show me some images he downloaded... told me he actually had one of these

I pointed out out to him that I camera was on the bottom facing his wrist... I know but they fix that in I pod 4Gs, I sent them a letter... I then got another word in and pointed out that they already have watches like that... to which he reponded... yeah I know but I don't have eyes like that...

Yesterday I ordered and e-mailed this... to his I phone....

Or you could be remembering... that Atrox uber Hof that you and that special loved one team hunted... as when you first met... on the plains of Endura in the SGA... granted a bit of a lagged and bugged memory... but those new types of memories are being created as we speak... did you watch the OP video?

Not an ounce of that made sense..you really need to get out more :laugh:

t

Back