Is EU too Expensive?

Next questian, should an armor set cost as much as a new car in a game? Excuse me, service.:rolleyes:

The problem is that we all wants to become to be uber but before it was cheap to get to this level nowdays you have to pay big money and its just what MA wants because they rule here.

I think those levels are a bit narrow sighted.
I would be at level 3 according to that, but my repair bills on armour are surely never at 80-90 PEDs per hunt, not even 80-90 PEDs per week.
I am not that insane to do 1k PEDs hunts, I prefer 50-100 PEDs, it's way better because it forces you sooner to hunt somewhere else instead of spending it all in one spot.
My initial "investment" was maybe a bit high, but it pays off and deposits are not needed that much anymore (every 6-8 weeks 50 Euros).
Surely not expensive.
And as long as I have my fun, it's worth much more :D

OMG another one who did not read full first post where and I quote myself for the second time in this thread said:

P.s. My examples are not exact just to be used as a guide to show you should pick a lvl suited to your budget.

thoreau said:
In other words, if you want to be uber for $15/month you better go slay dragons.

no thats why I also said during my post that if you dont find it fun when you stick to the low level due to your budget then maybe this is not the game for you.

I think the first post is well written (though I think some comma would have make it more "readable" ;)).

Every time people will complain about bad returns they should (in my opnion) first check, if they did something senseful (playing at "their" level) and then check, why they did not stop, when loot was bad.

So a big +rep for topic starter from me.

Sorry was early morning :computer:

If I should use gear at my level, I should hunt with LR-63, SK-50 FAP, Dragons Breath sword. Use Apis with Bulltac 70. Economical? :rolleyes:

If I should hunt economical, I should use gear aimed at player level 15-20 and forget that my hunting skills are at level 40-45.

The problem your faced with as your at a lvl where the gear that should be eco for you i.e. your 10/10 on you are now also paying for its dmg ability as well as its eco. Like when you've maxed the H400 or P5a, the bigger guns now have higher markup based on the dmg they do.

EU is as expensive as one makes it...

What I was trying to say in much less words lol

There a gap in your logic so big you could ride an Atrox through it.

In life, we can opt out of our wants. We must work (most of us) to supply our needs.

Similarly in EU you can opt out of wants but you most certainly can not 'play' for free. That is unless you use the most basic definition of play. You can walk, chat, and sweat for free. But you can not 'play.'

In order to play EU you need necessities, You need ammo, armor, and PEDs to pay for decay. The cost of these items can be expensive. But at the very least you need to pay to play.

Ammo in EU is like food in real life. It is a necessity if you want to live (play.)

Walking you can find stuff to sell. Chatting, you can find people who will pay you to do stuff for them. Sweating gets you sweat to sell. These all can gain you peds. Peds you can exchange for the ammo, armor, and pay for decay. And then you get to play. For FREE!!!

What? You call that work? You don't want to work? Well, then of course, you can put money into the system and play. But then you call it expensive and don't like it. And it most certainly isn't free. But it's your choice that isn't free. Not EU.

Drive your atrox through the logic as much as you want. But EU is free.

The problem is that we all wants to become to be uber but before it was cheap to get to this level nowdays you have to pay big money and its just what MA wants because they rule here.

Again, I have to disagree. EU is free and becoming an uber player is free, too.
It will take a lot of work to get there, but you can do it. For free.

People just choose to pay to get there quicker.

In real life, it is very difficult to gain fame and fortune. In 'games' the ability to do this is greatly eased. You can become a super-hero or a rock star or a champion martial artist, or the King of Siam and the fortunes will befall you as if they didn't cost the makers of the game a thing. You may have to slay a thousand different creatures to get the Sword of Destiny, but you'll get it. So will a bunch of other players. Big deal. They aren't real.

But the money in this game is real. And you can just earn the prizes easily, otherwise there would be no game. Everyone would be winning and no one would be losing. Money would just be falling out our butts.

Of course it's hard to become uber. And if you really want to become uber by paying, it's going to cost uber bucks. Why would you think differently?

But the great thing about it is, you can do it for free! (Have I said this before?)

It sure is as expensive as we make it. It can be free, and it can cost a lot.

One thing I've noticed, while skilling up, my downs and ups in a cycle, gets
more and more extreme.
To skill out of a downperiod cost me more and more, but my eco for sure don't
get better and better, relative to progress. ;)

I could use equipment that slows my progress down a lot, and gives me better
eco, but as mentioned, fun factor isn't at a high level after 5yrs of grinding.
It's boring actually. I want to see some progress comming out of all grinding.

Most people that says they have almost always good return, and can't
understand I have such bad eco, are quite anonymous after som months,
or even years. Why? They ended up in a downperiod eventually, and don't
mention too much of their bad eco they also got after a while. ;)
Not all of them thou'.
IMO, it's a cycle containing several parts, where we have good and bad loot.
The boring part is when you are down and cant get up in a near future.

It's here the funfactor must beat the losses. If we do someting fun, we tend
to care less of the losses. But to say what's fun, that's different from player
to player. I do hear quite often thou', that EU is boring, from a LOT of old players.
To please all players, and implement every idea that should raise the funfactor,
should probably require MA to hire +1k people. Impossible in another word. ;)

One thing that can raise funfactor, is to create a PvP-system, where players
could be more equall. Where the battles has a meaning, and gives us a
goal to aim for.
The rig s**ks bigtime when it comes to this scenario, but can be very fun in
others. We need alternatives, where radar for example is disabled.

A alternative pk-pointsystem could also be used, side by side with excisting.
Where we only get points depending of how successful the victim has been. ;)
No kills, no points. One kill or more, points begin to counts. This way, the
one with most kills will also be most wanted to pvp against, since the more
kills he/she has done, the more value you get in the kill.

Guess there are a LOT more to do to raise funfactor, but time will tell, how
much MA can concentrate on these matters, when CE2 is here.
Hopefully a lot...

I love the post, but partially because I wrote pretty much the same thing a couple of months ago from the Noob perspective:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...posed-level-cap-based-budget.html#post1302522

If you don't care to read the whole thing, the main points I made were:

This is not like the other MMORPGs and to me that is why EU is so great. With EQ and WoW, if you put in enough time eventually everyone reaches max level and has a ton of cool crap to boast about.

With EU, the higher you go with the levels, the more it costs per click. And while it may all average out to $1 / hour after 1 million clicks at level 1 or at level 60, for most of us all it takes is a good stretch of bad luck to put us in the poor house if we are playing at a level that is higher than where we belong.

This post however gives me insight into what the higher levels might be like, but will probably never experience because I have already decided I can't tolerate the risk at the higher levels and will therefore play at my level until I become totally bored as jedgre points out in his reply.

I don't think MA has made things so expensive at the high levels out of greed, they are simply offering something for everyone. The fact that anyone has $15k USD to spend on a game gun shows that some people have limitless funds for entertaining themselves and some of us do not.

Vegas offers $2 blackjack and $10,000 blackjack.

Jack Nicholson spends $5,300 a night to watch the Los Angeles Lakers play basketball.

The point is that people have shown really no limit for what they'll spend on entertainment so why shouldn't MA accommodate that market segment? No one is forcing us to play beyond a level that is comfortable for us, but obviously many are doing it, getting themselves in trouble, then complaining about it here.

The answer is to come to terms with the fact that this is entertainment which means you're most likely going to pay for it (if you actually do come out ahead, consider that a huge bonus.) Then play at a level where you can tolerate the ups and downs, because that's how it comes. And if you get to the point that you're bored to death, cash out and move on.

This is reality

"It sure is as expensive as we make it. It can be free, and it can cost a lot."

Its actually that simple....

It has never been more complicated than that.

Walking you can find stuff to sell. Chatting, you can find people who will pay you to do stuff for them. Sweating gets you sweat to sell. These all can gain you peds. Peds you can exchange for the ammo, armor, and pay for decay. And then you get to play. For FREE!!!

What? You call that work? You don't want to work? Well, then of course, you can put money into the system and play. But then you call it expensive and don't like it. And it most certainly isn't free. But it's your choice that isn't free. Not EU.

as a free mmorpg eu is by far the worst i have ever seen. as a p2p mmorpg it is one of the best.

IMO if MA would knock the "make money from a game" bullshit off and lower the costs to play EU it would be bigger than WOW already. catering to degenerate gamblers has its advantages for sure, however they are a pretty small % of the population. i would be after 10 million gamers not 5000 gamblers. i deposit, every month whether i need the ped or not and will continue to do so until my EU time ends, the funny part is i wont run out of stuff i could do in EU, i will get to a point when i wont pay enough to continue, they could have me as a paying customer for 10 years+ if gear upgrades didnt cost as much as my cars after 2 or 3.

there was a thread about ath's recently, i am of the opinion that less ath's and better avg returns would help EU more than anything.

saint

ps EU is a terrific game, i hope MA realizes that before they turn it completely into a shitty "service".

Hmm I have the Ancient Enshovel at the ready for the digging up of old threads... looks like I really need to get hold of an EnRake too:) Doesn't a "does EU cost too much?" thread start every week?

Hurrikane

In response: It does if you're impatient, crap with money or hard to please.

There was a thread about ath's recently, i am of the opinion that less ath's and better avg returns would help EU more than anything.

That i Believe has the been the cause of 80% of mas Problems last 9 months since version 9.0 that and Auto Balancing Mobs

BRING BACK BETTER AVERAGE RETURNS

There was a thread about ath's recently, i am of the opinion that less ath's and better avg returns would help EU more than anything.

That i Believe has the been the cause of 80% of mas Problems last 9 months since version 9.0 that and Auto Balancing Mobs

Yep I agree better average returns would be better for the playerbase as a whole, but the way things are banks (in theory) become more of an option don't they? ^^

Ah, but better returns means longer between depos...

Has realy the average return (talking about 6 months or even more) realy change since the introdction of plenty of ATH?
you might spend more for a longer time and then get the payback in form of an ath?

Pure speculations here for my part since I have only been an entropian since last august.

I cant say if the returns have change much since I have skilled up so much during this time, to more expencive gear, more expencive mobs, with random HOFs.
The short tirm swings are greater now with this equipment that I am using now than when I was hunting snables with amped opalo a year ago thats for sure, but I am spending more time in EU also, have no idea if cost per hour has been affected that much realy.

All I do know is that EU is alot more fun now when I can solo Hoggs (not eco, but still) than when I was hunting male snable provider (and equal mobs) for 2 months straight.

Mindark must think i am a frog in a pot of boiling water if they belive i havnet noticed the difference since i joined.

If you put a frog in a pot of boiling water the frog jumps out straight away.

BUT if you put a frog in a pot of cold water and bring it to the boil slowly the frog will be cooked everytime... LOL

But my point is every update slowly increases the temperture and none of the frogs in this game seem to be any the wiser.

Otherwise there would be frogs leaving the game in droves ..

Go Ahead contribute to MA's Frogs SOUP !!!

Hmm I have the Ancient Enshovel at the ready for the digging up of old threads... looks like I really need to get hold of an EnRake too:) Doesn't a "does EU cost too much?" thread start every week?

Hurrikane

In response: It does if you're impatient, crap with money or hard to please.

Theres also the TIk200 mod trollfinder :laugh:

Wrote this in another thread, guess it fits here too. ;)

What we really need:
The new CKI planet!
That will allow way more to be active, since less of the excisting players will
be on Calypso-system, MA gets income even thou' they don't do all the job.
If they don't screw it up and keep full profit due to that, and if they lower the %
from average masses losses, we will have better ROI, getting more players
active, creating more depos, and therefor also better revenue stream to MA.

Shall be interesting to see if we the active gets a bite of the cake if income
increases for MA... ;)
BTW, MA; maybe time to look in to system and see if isn't time to look over
situations where the better loot can be boosted and gained in a "abnormal"
way, and find a solution for it?:rolleyes:

THAT logic is going to bring ia a lot of new players.:rolleyes:

thought about this question last night... ( sleepless screaming mean dwarf)

other activities:

gocart: 1h/400-600 sek = 666-1000peds/hour.

paint ball: 250SEK start fee and 250sek balls = 833 peds first hour then 416peds / hour.

motorcykle: insurance: 1.8kpeds/month 25peds/10km petrol. tires 6k peds / seson. new gear ~4k/seson. at 200km/h i burn alot more then 500peds/hour. (this is calced from my kawa ninja)

drinking(in sweden): 1drink= ~230peds 1 beer= 75peds... 2drinks and a beer / hour = 535peds/hour. you can drink cheaper at home :)

cant think of any other fun things atm...

playing PE = from +xxxxxxpeds/hour to -400peds/hour makes it the cheapest so far. you even got the possibility to earn money.

WELL, DUH!

EU is probably the worst "game" when it comes to fun per $ ...

Last edited:
Mindark must think i am a frog in a pot of boiling water if they belive i havnet noticed the difference since i joined.

BUT if you put a frog in a pot of cold water and bring it to the boil slowly the frog will be cooked everytime... LOL

But my point is every update slowly increases the temperture and none of the frogs in this game seem to be any the wiser.

I'm usualy against the type of people that come on thread and say what i'm about to say to you, but when people come on threads like this and say what you say then its kinda called for.......

You can see the pot of water starting to boil so why have you not jumped out yet?

TO ALL: My thread was not meant as a whinning thread but more a note to all the whinners about the bad loot to look at themselves and re-assess what they are doing in game and if this is the game for them. They come on here and shout about i've lost 10k peds or 50k peds in XXX amount of months well why would you allow yourself to lose $1000-$5000????

It's like someone says in thier sig (cant remember who) "cant handle condition crafting, dont do it".

EU is free.

Yes this is true..in the 3 years i have played they have made the game much more expensive...all the little stuff adds up

I'm usualy against the type of people that come on thread and say what i'm about to say to you, but when people come on threads like this and say what you say then its kinda called for.......

You can see the pot of water starting to boil so why have you not jumped out yet?

TO ALL: My thread was not meant as a whinning thread but more a note to all the whinners about the bad loot to look at themselves and re-assess what they are doing in game and if this is the game for them. They come on here and shout about i've lost 10k peds or 50k peds in XXX amount of months well why would you allow yourself to lose $1000-$5000????

It's like someone says in thier sig (cant remember who) "cant handle condition crafting, dont do it".

I can understand why some get upset. They are here for entertainment,
not money, so when they lose too much too fast, they get annoyed.
I think most of those that do play economic and manage to get on without
depo, or at least very small depos, when they end up losing continously,
what will they do? Probably quit way faster then those that are here
for entertainment, since they are not willing to spend RL money on EU.
For me, those that do keep going on, no matter what the outcome is,
are the true passionate players...

Level 4 hunter hunting level 2 and 3 mobs is how you'll earn peds :)

But go eco, don't get stuck in one of those common use-the-biggest-you-can hunting groups....

I can understand why some get upset. They are here for entertainment,
not money, so when they lose too much too fast, they get annoyed.
I think most of those that do play economic and manage to get on without
depo, or at least very small depos, when they end up losing continously,
what will they do? Probably quit way faster then those that are here
for entertainment, since they are not willing to spend RL money on EU.
For me, those that do keep going on, no matter what the outcome is,
are the true passionate players...

My wife started my account she put $3000 into game in 3 months and pissed it up against a wall buying ammo, armour, plates guns etc (oh and crafting clothes).

I took over in January 2007 and my only depo since then was $300 I got in cards from friends at my birthday June 07, I used that money at the time to buy Angel arms (F) added 1k ped more to the 3k from Depo, after a few months playing and hunting noticing without a full set of Angel (I could never afford) I decided to sell the arms and got 5.5k back for them, this was not reselling as I did buy the arms for personal use, but to sell and get $150 back from my investment was great.

What i'm trying to say is if when you Depo to buy that equipement that everyone complains costs too much, think of what its worth when you sell again, same happened with my ML-35 I sold it to buy a shop paid 14.5k sold for 16.5k. Play smart with your cash invest it well and the fruits will bloom soon enough. And yes I know it costs peds to get those weapons, armour etc but MA have been good to me over the years (see my achievements section).

But yes 1 depo of $300 since Febuary 07 :)

Level 4 hunter hunting level 2 and 3 mobs is how you'll earn peds :)

But go eco, don't get stuck in one of those common use-the-biggest-you-can hunting groups....

yes this is the key to the game....

Knowing where you are skill wise is one of the most important things in the game.
I do think its nice MA makes it possible to have no skills and still allows you to use the biggest gun and armor and fap you wanna pay for...
there are smart players and gamblers...avoid being the latter and you will accomplish much more

My wife started my account she put $3000 into game in 3 months and pissed it up against a wall buying ammo, armour, plates guns etc (oh and crafting clothes).

I took over in January 2007 and my only depo since then was $300 I got in cards from friends at my birthday June 07, I used that money at the time to buy Angel arms (F) added 1k ped more to the 3k from Depo, after a few months playing and hunting noticing without a full set of Angel (I could never afford) I decided to sell the arms and got 5.5k back for them, this was not reselling as I did buy the arms for personal use, but to sell and get $150 back from my investment was great.

What i'm trying to say is if when you Depo to buy that equipement that everyone complains costs too much, think of what its worth when you sell again, same happened with my ML-35 I sold it to buy a shop paid 14.5k sold for 16.5k. Play smart with your cash invest it well and the fruits will bloom soon enough. And yes I know it costs peds to get those weapons, armour etc but MA have been good to me over the years (see my achievements section).

But yes 1 depo of $300 since Febuary 07 :)

It sure can end up good if we buy "right" stuff and sell it at right time.
But I guess most that are annoyed over costs, has already sold what they
can, depo a lot and lose a lot, no matter what they do. I use to lose a
lot, but I play it that way. My goal is progress, not eco.
But I don't have that much of progress now, my total is +260k, all skilled
manually. No chip, no ac. So I do have noticed some ups and downs.
I could for sure manage to play way longer if I played more eco (like NOT
skilling up resources, and try to sell it instead! :D). But the grinding gets
way too boring...

My highest loot so far, is 3.2k, and I have had some over 1-2k (probably 10
or so), but I have also spent a lot. I doubt I ever get a bigger one, but that
really doesn't matter. I'm out for some type of entertainment, so I do accept
to lose, but I also think we occasionly lose way too much way too fast.

As now, I have bad ROI in almost everything (except manu textures, oddly)
so it doesn't matter if I change mob, weapon, start to craft, do mining or
whatever. ROI is simply terrible mostly. But, I've seen this before, it will turn
to the better someday. The annoying part, is that it get more and more
extreme for every time I end up in this part of the cycle. So it do cost a lot,
when I'm in this situation. And it get harder and harder to get up again...

IMO, ROI should be more relative to what we spend, and not so much to
if we do things "right". It's ok with lower ROI, but it shouldn't be so extreme.
Reduce progress a lot more than ROI, if we do something "wrong"...

Besides ubers who skilled "oldtime", I think there is a difference between people who from the beginning (say 2-3 years ago) deposited a big amount and got decent gear back then, and people who (like me) deposit while playing, slowly upgraded.

I don't know if I'm a minoriry or not, but when I started to play, I had no dea about how it worked, so I followed the general advice. I begun with, basically, TT sword, axe 2.0, Jester, mk2, ep-40, determination. And for armor I did the slow pixie, goblin, rascal, ghost path.

My only luck in items is that I during the last year(s) decided to start collecting vigi parts, and that I was able to get a vigi harness for tt+300 (which I thought was expensive!) before as last part before they rushed away. And, that me and my teammate twice managed to loot marber-bravo (once from a rippersnapper and once from an atrax; this was when the pricetag was around tt+60). And, well maybe ep40 for tt+25 might be considred a bargin but it isn't that much better than "korss". And, well I got a few DNA-C's but their market value is uncertain (it fell from 320 ped down to 20 ped while they dropped).

What I missed, well I had a maddox IV for a few months, I didn't know back then how to calculate economy so I thought it decayed alot so I sold it (I was glad I got tt+100 for it). I missed back then to get a rifle in ml35/45 class for only 4k ped (4k ped is hard on my IRL economy - but possible; 27k ped for ML35 is "no way" (no I won't take bank loans to play a game - regardless how good investment it is, a rifle isn't exactly a CND), I missed the EP41's before resellers started to pwn them.

When it comes to boiling water, well just see the price of items, and especially look on the markup trend kurve and the curve of "sold items". It's pretty clear that there are three groups of players - players who got (good) oldtime weapons a couple of years ago at decent price, people who'll buy good weapons no matter the cost, and the third group, people who missed the train and can't afford good lasting weapons, and are stuck with what they have, or moderately decent weapons, or the newest 200% (that old-time players consider "good PK weapons" and hence don't object the cost).

Now, why did I chose hunting? Because, at least some year ago, I saw it as the only way way to be able to get something "nice" (item). I've camped some mobs for it. Though, I don't really know why I keep on really, since I now know that the best thing I'll get is a very nice amount of thyroid oil... (Yes, I've tried troopers, and I haven't even gotten an (L) Dragons Breath. I've tried ambus, in the beginning I got two LR63(L) guns but not since then. And since I don't have a high speed weapon, I won't stay at ambus trying either. And, yes I even tried a few falx for LR65 (solo with fapper to be able to keep it if I got it), got a global - and it was adrenal oil - so don't say I haven't tried to get one of those new fantastic weapons.

Last edited:
Back