Is there a fix for black avatar creation screen

Society
The Knights of Calypso
Rhys Scarecrow Lewis
I have just got got through several problem to be able to even login, now i cannot see my avatar as he is all black and merges with the walls which are also black. Is there a fix for this, would mayb like to change a few things before VU 10.

EDIT: When i alt-tab out and go back in i get a few more colours and texture (sand under my feet?) but my ava become a grey ghost.

Comp has: Intel Core 2 duo 2.6 GHz, 2gb of ram, nvidia geforce 8400.

Any suggestion are welcome (have tried safe mode, run as admin, and xp compatability)

P.S. I know there are a lot of threads out there bout these issues and others, but i searched 2 hours and couldn't find a solution (will retry stuff already said if people think i should :D)

Thank for any help

Last edited:
Ok your graphics card have Pixel Shader 3.0, So there is a solution.

Hmmm maybe you should put your avatar setting to medium or high.

Ok your graphics card have Pixel Shader 3.0, So there is a solution.

Hmmm maybe you should put your avatar setting to medium or high.

in other words.....it's time to spend more money!!!! lol ;) we all did, and it hurts, but sometimes you've got to do those things,... "Life's to short for cheap beer" thats what I always say! :)

in other words.....it's time to spend more money!!!! lol ;) we all did, and it hurts, but sometimes you've got to do those things,... "Life's to short for cheap beer" thats what I always say! :)

that's not what I said.. :)

Your graphic card should be good enough, now lets try to find the problem

Your graphic card should be good enough, now lets try to find the problem

Thanks for the will to help, do you think i should check my drivers, im a bit worried though because MA has said there are issues with the latest drivers.

)-=... good luck with this...I'm changing my post because dj is mad at me and I'm being attacked with -rep lol sorry for the spam post o.0

Dj wins at being right (-=!

Last edited:
)-=...I'm just making a post here good luck tho! lol

What, getting your post count up when someone needs help :scratch2:

Im gonna neg ya tomorrow, cant right now cos I am up my rep limit for today :rolleyes:

Shame on you.. anyone else that wants to neg him, be my guest!

I'm having the same problem...All black ava and surroundings...Can't create an ava if I can't see what I'm creating..I'm beyond the means of ANNOYED...But has not too much to do with EU sooo...*DEEP BREATHS*

MA Seriously next time you do a major change like this could you take 2 sec. out of your busy day and check my schedule make sure this chick isn't PMS'n>......grrr....add on no smoking for 13 days as well...

Sincerely

~Gonna lose my mind real soon~

Last edited:
This happens to me when I change the display resolution to other than my desktop.

Try to use the same res as Windows and that might be the problem, anyway I would suggest a vid card upgrade or overclock it with Ntune to squeeze a little more performance.

LOL sorry, dramatic rant over...Ok will try what you suggested...

not sure if its gonna help but it just helped a bit with a soc mate of mine, lower your connection speed a little. he was havign trouble seeing anythign until he tried that. no idea if its connected or not but it seemed to work for him.

Yeah I tried that as well..I know my comp. can handle this it's the only decent thing (besides my kids) that ex of mine left me...

I have just got got through several problem to be able to even login, now i cannot see my avatar as he is all black and merges with the walls which are also black. Is there a fix for this, would mayb like to change a few things before VU 10.

EDIT: When i alt-tab out and go back in i get a few more colours and texture (sand under my feet?) but my ava become a grey ghost.

Comp has: Intel Core 2 duo 2.6 GHz, 2gb of ram, nvidia geforce 8400.

Any suggestion are welcome (have tried safe mode, run as admin, and xp compatability)

P.S. I know there are a lot of threads out there bout these issues and others, but i searched 2 hours and couldn't find a solution (will retry stuff already said if people think i should :D)

Thank for any help

hmm... your system seems better than mine, and my ava creation was ungodly slow, but not black....

maybe EU is defaulting your system to better than it actually is...

try starting in safe, then setting avatar detail and rendering to "very high"... (can you access options in the ava creation screen? )

I have`nt had a black avatar but I did have a gray one. Today I finally balanced all the settings where I can have at least coloration to avatars running now on medium and still have little to no lag. It sounds like a matter of finding a good balance between all the settings. For me I lowered my connections speed the other day. Today I lowered my resolution and tweeked brightness, contrast and gamma and then I was able to run in the medium setting.

I run an AMD 2400+ with 2gigs of ram and an ATI X1600Pro graphics card. Surely you seem to have a bit more power than this so you should be able to get somewhere acceptable.

I have Geforce 8500
AMD Athlon (tm)64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
3.00GB ram
32OS

I've changed the speed higher to lower
Changed the res.
went to safe mode
fiddled w/everything I can think of...:censored:

My ava and surroundings still black

I have`nt had a black avatar but I did have a gray one. Today I finally balanced all the settings where I can have at least coloration to avatars running now on medium and still have little to no lag. It sounds like a matter of finding a good balance between all the settings. For me I lowered my connections speed the other day. Today I lowered my resolution and tweeked brightness, contrast and gamma and then I was able to run in the medium setting.

I run an AMD 2400+ with 2gigs of ram and an ATI X1600Pro graphics card. Surely you seem to have a bit more power than this so you should be able to get somewhere acceptable.

I fiddled around like that too, eventually got acceptable playable game.
I started with ava and textures...high.

Today I noted the settings and used the reset button that supposedly reads whats best for your PC and adjusts it for that, and it worked and things seemed better slightly. Sadly the new patch or an existing bug jailed me at a TP and prevented me moving or staying ingame so I can't test any further yet.

I've had grey, white and last night a neon blue flashing ava :laugh:...but never black, I think that maybe the GC or drivers bug.

t

Sort it out Marco, there's people dear to me can't play, I gonna come up there and kick your ass
Well ok I not kick your ass, but I give you a severe talking to and a nasty nip :yay:

Aww thanks Billy :)

This is what I get...Beautiful colors but BLACK ava...

I know it's going to be something so freaking simple, something I'll just feel so silly over but I don't care...I just want in and be cool like the rest of us noobs!!!

TBH? Your's was perfect before update, I would just accept the settings, it recreates it as near as damn to what it was in vu9, then see if you can get in game and we all have a collection (Marco you got to pay towards it too) and pay sorg exhorbitant fees to change what you don't like (you're a gal there WILL be stuff You don't like :) :ahh:

What, getting your post count up when someone needs help :scratch2:

Im gonna neg ya tomorrow, cant right now cos I am up my rep limit for today :rolleyes:

Shame on you.. anyone else that wants to neg him, be my guest!

bah! the -rep it hurts! ummm...ok how about this. I hear this game is filled with bugs right now but I would suggest buying the newest available graphics card/updates and drivers and all that stuff...again good luck with this

I have Geforce 8500
AMD Athlon (tm)64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
3.00GB ram
32OS

I've changed the speed higher to lower
Changed the res.
went to safe mode
fiddled w/everything I can think of...:censored:

My ava and surroundings still black

I have an 8500 GT with similar problems at the avatar creation screen. I was able to fix it by following the advice in the https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...graphics-options-before-character-screen.html thread.

The settings I used were:

sys_spec_Full = 2
sys_spec_AvatarQuality = 2
ark_human_render_textures = 1
ark_render_texture_quality = 1
r_MotionBlur = 0

the best fix i found was to change the resolution to ****x****x16 instead of x32

my system is junk compared to most of yours and i can play...poorly but i can play and hunt and mine and run around and chat, however all avatars and all creatures are random solid colors. but hey everything else is beautiful :)

waiting for my new graphics card to arrive in a couple days... hopefully that helps a bit.

bah! the -rep it hurts! ummm...ok how about this. I hear this game is filled with bugs right now but I would suggest buying the newest available graphics card/updates and drivers and all that stuff...again good luck with this

Yeah well, i changed my mind about the neg anyway :laugh:

Ya, oops I didn't but that was yest. and ok I'm soz...But atleast you learned your lesson and gave some advice/support to your fellow entropians!

Reactions: dj.
OMG fools seldom differ, I -rep him coz you was busy, but he was very nice, and +rep back and said you were right dj :)

Reactions: dj.
Changed resolution, no love...

Hello everyone!

I to am having a black avatar creation screen. I've changed my resolution from 1280 x 1024 to 1024 x 768. Best part is I can't click on launch! But 12 tabs (or so) and launch is selected. Result of resolution change? FAIL!

I think I'll try to Update some drivers and see if this helps. I'll post the answer. The initial Entropia screen indicates my video card is able to run the game fine. Anyone have any other options?:confused:

BTW my vid card is a Gforce 7600 GT

**some time passes**

Another dumb icon next to the clock and Voila! I now have a naked uncolored avatar! Any suggestions on that fix?

Guys i got a fix

I used my brother account, he didnt want anything changed, he was still a black avatar, and i just clicked accept, when i got inworld everything was invisible. By turning all my settings up to VERY HIGH i isolated the problem, which is SHADER QUALITY MUST BE ABOVE THE HIGH SETTING.

I hope this helps :D it worked for me. If you cant log in try using the thread suggested earier (in post #22) to change the settings without going ingame.

Last edited:
Back