Is this just MA in the middle of switching over to a new engine? (rant)

Apostleus

Old
Society
Honest Entropians
Trent Apostleus Skywalker
I'm two days old to the game and I just wanted to know if this is something you are all used to and if it's just the nature of the beast or something you are putting up with while they switch to the new game engine...

The way my character feels when I control him and the way he jumps/strafes or anything other then run forward feels extremely awkward. Combat/sweating/FAPing can also feel awkward at times. Animations are also really choppy for these actions and it just doesn't feel fluid. Its like they're trying to make everyone switch to clicking and standing still and using third person mode. WASD is a nightmare.

I don't mind weeds and trees looking like they're doing an Irish jig...

But make my character controls and movements fluid.

Does anyone else agree? Any hope for the future?

Back to skilling....

-apostleus

Last edited:
I sure hope they improve the controlls and overall smoothness of the game with the engine change. Movement in this game is so horrible its just sad.

-apostleus

The tree's blowing in the wind can be turned off. Might help.

I remember my ava being choppy once, untill I got more ram.

Sorry, Im no computer expert, Im a NooB lol, when it comes to pc's :ahh:

But everything in-game for me, runs fine.

:)

Trying to jump is a nightmare for me :mad:

I would expect to see or feel this change significantly in the new engine. Whenever I move from game to game I can never get them to feel the same, there's always that uniqueness about the engine you're using at that time.

Yeah jumping is not immediate and once you stop running the caharacter hovers for a few centimeters...that is called LAG :yay: Specially in places like Port Lagtlantis and Twinpeaks.

This game has the horrible controls I have ever seen. Any hope of improvements, maybe in the next VU.

Jumping is the only "control" that behaves bad in this game. The strafing took some time to get used to, because i played 1st person shooters for a long time and in those games the sidestepping(strafe) was much faster, superhuman. I think the controls in this game, and the way that they feel and look are quite realistic. (-jumping)
just my opinion...

I'm two days old to the game and I just wanted to know if this is something you are all used to and if it's just the nature of the beast or something you are putting up with while they switch to the new game engine...

The way my character feels when I control him and the way he jumps/strafes or anything other then run forward feels extremely awkward. Combat/sweating/FAPing can also feel awkward at times. Animations are also really choppy for these actions and it just doesn't feel fluid. Its like they're trying to make everyone switch to clicking and standing still and using third person mode. WASD is a nightmare.

Does anyone else agree? Any hope for the future?

Back to skilling....

-apostleus

I remember it took me over a week to get used to how EU controls, I was grumbling for a fortnight after too. :grumble:

You'll get used to it I'm sure - choppy performance may be down to your computer specs / options selected in the clientloader however.

Overall I'm impressed with the fluidity of my avatar etc - in my last MMO he didnt breathe and there wasnt recoil from firing a gun for example. Nice touches there. :thumbup:

Hi,
I fully agree. Responsiveness of controls and fluid avatar movement is the most annoying lack EU has, and it hasn't been done exactly nothing about it since my start in late 2005.

PK'ing in EU is a bad joke, just because of this issues - RL skill doesn't mean anything, just bigger/ more expensive gear makes the result. How to utilize your superior mouse/ keyboard coordination, your faster reflexes, your better understanding of game mechanics? You're put in an awful slow, unresponsive environment where only the bigger gun wins.

Coming from UT I couldn't understand for long time how anybody would ever care about this persiflage of PvP, until I found out that thing about the bigger gun - EU PvP is all about drooping hells of funds into game, and who's most insane spending his money, wins.

Good for MA, bad for us.

Have fun!

Coming from UT I couldn't understand for long time how anybody would ever care about this persiflage of PvP, until I found out that thing about the bigger gun - EU PvP is all about drooping hells of funds into game, and who's most insane spending his money, wins.

Good for MA, bad for us.

Have fun!

I used to play Tribes and Tribes 2 so i understand where you are coming from.

However, i don't see this "game" as anything approaching the same thing.

That said, i don't disagree with you on the whole (as nice physics would be good:D) and i heartily agree with your PvP being for the rich comment, hence why i never waste my time going into PvP in the first place.

i dont have any problem with the general controls. i did at first, iirc one or two of the defaults are odd choices but changing in options fixed it to be quiet usable (somthing with mouse). jumping is crap and has been mucked about with, now has a poor gprahic/animation.

i think the "jerky" motion refered to indicates not enough performance to run EU or running other processes in the background that interfere.

Hi,

I'm not this vivid PvP'er, too, but during my not-yet-finished UT career I have learned to love the very special beauty of an lively PvP game where _all_ ppl start on a common ground. No [...] buying Uberness - just pure, plain RL skill would count!

We don't have. Sorry. So what? I, for me, don't care about EU PvP anymore at all - it's simply not worth it. You'll meet some [...] unpleasant ppl, bragging about what ever they've bought - does this makes 'em better? Usually they're crying like babies when defeated ...

Have fun!

Edit: Guess my language here wasn't approbate. Deleted some unnecessary harsh comments ( = [...]), replaced with more friendly ones (after it). I ask for excuse therefore, but there are times I get really angry. Like when again some very long, careful formulated and not "flaming" or "personal attacking" at all post get deleted with the ever same lame excuse of rule #4711. Well, anyway. This editing wasn't asked for, I did 'cause I felt so.

Last edited:
I hope its something fixed soon!

okay what those that want to compare PVP in entropia to UT or tribes needs to understand that entropia should be considered a hybrid game. it isn't completely turn based, but it isn't completely real time either. also, the running speed in game is more accurate to a human and what a human can do. but in the long run you are comparing apples to potatoes. tribes and entropia dont' have to be at all alike. hell, the control for entropia is more similar to oblivion, another hybrid.

as far as the controls are concerned, one can change the key mapping of each and every control to suit their liking. so, in the long run you make it what you want or you whine about the default setting. your call, i guess.

the controls are fine, but it would be nicer to have a bit easier control when in the ego-view, IMHO. But perhaps i played for too long egoshooters....

EU it is _not_ an shooter. RL "shoot-em-up" mad skillz does not help.

It's just an glorified graphical interface to an number crunching machine (ava stats / armor stats / gun stats / mob stats / other ava stats / etc).

So stop comparing apples to oranges, it won't work.

I'm not complaining about the key assignments...

I'm complaining how everything is so choppy... they need to streamline things a little bit and make things smoother.

Choppiness is definetely machine related. Got a 8800gt and boosted ram and things run wonderfully now.

Hi,

I'm not this vivid PvP'er, too, but during my not-yet-finished UT career I have learned to love the very special beauty of an lively PvP game where _all_ ppl start on a common ground. No rich borderline criminals, no rich childfuckers, no rich Socs built of those - just pure, plain RL skill would count!

We don't have. Sorry. So what? I, for me, don't care about EU PvP anymore at all - it's simply not worth it. You'll meet some borderline criminals, bragging about what ever they've bought - does this makes 'em better? Usually they're crying like babies when defeated ...

Have fun!

I love instagib, or sniper rifle only matches, or matches where it is all about rl skills and everybody has the same gun.

But i don't think MA even think about making it come close to that, or i think they should.

IMO the new engine will be great in terms of how the movement feels.

How it feels today is in great part due to the engine.

Hi,
I love instagib, or sniper rifle only matches, or matches where it is all about rl skills and everybody has the same gun.
This is PvP as I understand, and love, it. There's other environments where reached gear has an impact, but not such a heavy one we're suffering. I can accept these too.
I cannot accept that even 10 avatars similar to my skill wouldn't have no chance in hell to even hurt one of our Ubers. And since it is known some of these Uber avas would have joined long time after all of ours, just burned insane sums, it makes it even worse. "PvP" means "player vs. player", not "purse vs. purse" ...

But i don't think MA even think about making it come close to that, or i think they should.
MA is going a way taking care of the old timers and big depositors. They constantly ignore the big number of ppl that are not among these, and this is what makes me hold back any investment - would you invest into an enterprise that clearly shows that you're not among the welcome customers?

IMO the new engine will be great in terms of how the movement feels.
Hope there will be improvement, too! The slow reaction, the unresponsiveness we suffer these days is enervating, IMHO. There's more about this here!

How it feels today is in great part due to the engine.
I doubt this. Gamebryo engine is used in a whole lot of other games not suffering similar problems. IMHO it's simply poor implementing!

Have fun!

Back