Is your Gold Card reader on your keychain?

Is your Gold Card reader on your keychain?

• Yes

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 137 84.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters

Angel of Death

Old Alpha
Society
MDK-Elite
Angel of Death
I received my Gold Card through the 5000 PED promotion and I was curious if anyone else decided to actually put the reader on their keychain?

What are the pros and cons of doing so?

How fragile is the reader, in actuality?

It makes sense to have it with my car keys, right?

Thoughts?

Keep it on your keychain, and eventually it will fill up with pocket fuzz and other gunk. Mine resides on top of my tower, with the card almost in it.

I already have another device for my online banking and a bunch of keys.

I don't want something else on the key chain.

It's currently residing with a pile of papers / documents on my table with the card just beside it.

I was contemplating the same thing, having received mine yesterday... Might actually put it inside a little sock or something to keep the fuzz out...

well i have reader near to my pc:silly2::silly2:
or in my drawerful :D

from my experience the reader withstand the cola!:D:D

My GC is attached to the chain coming from the reader, and is looped over the side of the pot of pens by my pc...

Right there, and easy to generate the next password...

Great information ;)

Now all the home burglers who already stole your login/pass when you used Starbucks WiFi know straight where to head when they break into your house.

Mine is in a safety deposit box at the bank. I go to the bank, open my safety deposit box, generate 10 codes, and memorize them all backwards (in case I am tortured into giving them up). When I run through the 10 codes, I drive back to the bank and repeat. This means that on long weekends and banking holidays, I need to stay up almost around the clock to stay logged in, or I will run out of codes before I can get back to the bank vault.

j/k ofc

Great information ;)

Now all the home burglers who already stole your login/pass when you used Starbucks WiFi know straight where to head when they break into your house.

Mine is in a safety deposit box at the bank. I go to the bank, open my safety deposit box, generate 10 codes, and memorize them all backwards (in case I am tortured into giving them up). When I run through the 10 codes, I drive back to the bank and repeat. This means that on long weekends and banking holidays, I need to stay up almost around the clock to stay logged in, or I will run out of codes before I can get back to the bank vault.

j/k ofc

Thank your lucky stars you do not get a lot of CTDs and invisibility bugs forcing you to relog!:laugh:

Mine is in a little tin box along with my card.

Great information ;)

j/k ofc

That's why I am curious about the keychain. I figure, if my keys are stolen, I have bigger problems than my GC reader getting stolen. lol

I ran off a string of numbers (enough for the next half year if I logged every day), and store them in a pw protected file on my other PC, and on my BlackJack. Then I locked the reader and the card where my nephew can't get to it.
(Just hope I can remember where I put the thing when my list of numbers runs out and I need new ones.)

From what I've heard, the reader is actually quite fragile. I tend to keep my reader locked up in a spot where it can't get bumped around and damaged. The actual gold card I keep with me.

that piece of crap gets broken very easily even through normal ware and tear. I've sent in maybe 5 for replacements over the past year. You're allowed 3 replacements due to item failure. Normal card reader problems. mine are mainly over usage apparently.... The reader's metal pin that slides onto the card to complete the circuit is overused and grinded down to the state of instabilities in the reader that render the user to need to bend the card downward to push the metal part of the cart upwards towards the display screen via the inside. Or, you can open it up, get a trusty solder and add a dab on the contact point that touches the card....

Yeah my readers break......

I keep mine in the drawer under my computer....And my 2nd one is in the package in another drawer :D

I do not need to bring it with me, since I can only play on my desktop. I won't tell you where I put it.

I keep my goldcard and reader locked up in a safe (not mckormick frankly) sealed in the centre of the earth next to Elvis Presley and the first edition of Superman comic.

But realistically, I keep mine in my drawers.
No one seems to look in them these days, so keeps my reader away from curious minds.

Keeping on a keychain, bit risky, like living life on the edge?
Unless you got EU on a laptop or USB stick, no real need to carry it around.
I don't think its as fragile as a newborn baby, but its not something you can eat and crap out and still work. The slot hole, is pretty flimsy, the rest is tough, but thee internal is something to worry about, if the chipboard come lose. I haven't looked into it myself, it may be as robust as Robocop.

Last edited:
I use the key chain to pinch the card keeping my card with the Reader.

No I wouldn't dare put it on my keys. I replaced one reader due to a Cracked screen. If you Drop your key chain with the reader attached your Risking breaking the Reader's screen. A 4 foot drop has sufficient energy to break the screen If it hits a Hard surface.

I keep mine right by my computers :)

Mine is in a little wooden box , stashed in my room while im out, and by my side when im not :)

My reader is by the pc but the card is stashed away until I get ready to log in :D

I thought of putting my in the keychain but I already have enough keys and if I put the reader in my keychain it gets to big for me to have in my jeans pocket :laugh:

So I have the reader + card on the table under all my papers close to my laptop or somewhere in the couch, so I have to search for it everytime I want to play :laugh:

or sometimes even under the couch :scratch2:

Keeping something like phones, readers, etc in jeans is a bad idea in my opinion. I always keep my card and reader close, but if I told you where, I'd have to kill you...

right at my computer :D

play on laptop so I used to keep it on my keychain, this thread quickly changed that...

i keep mine and Onica's cards and readers in a sealed container at the desk

Mine is on the keychain but with no keys, I can hang it on a hook near my pc with the card only just slipped inside.

I've lost count of the times I've had "Error 72" which does my head in when I'm in a hurry trying to log back in on a team hunt.

I wonder if I can keep it in a jar of cooking oil to keep the fluff out like those people that cool their pc's quietly. :)

Mine is hanging at my front door together with my GC and my username/pass are written on the back.

Seriously, keep it as clean as possible, and people should not give any information about where they keep reader nor the GC. ;)

Seriously, keep it as clean as possible, and people should not give any information about where they keep reader nor the GC. ;)

Generally, I agree with this, hence why my question was very specific lol.

I had my reader on my keychain for about a week, but like Chan up there, this thread has quickly changed my mind.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

Back