Its Vista times now...!

Solaris

Elite
Society
Perseus
Robin Solaris
Well MA.... February 2007 was a long time ago now.
Entropia Universe and Vista
21 Feb 2007
We hope to be able to offer support for Vista in the near future.

I just had a looong talk with the local geek in our local "Computers'R us Store", and there is no longer anyway out of Vista. They just dont sell anything else now in this town.

So I did it:
I bought myself a brand new PC with some crackedup Geeforce 8600 GS running on a wharfedup Quadro Core AMD 9500 processor. All with nearly 4 GB RAM.... And Vista.

The geek told me this would run pretty much everything short of Crysis in maximum speed. He also told me that all MORPG he knew of, had made Vista patches looong time ago now. And I believed him. The geek then walked away with most of a months salary for a nurse in Denmark.

Now - can I run EU with this???
Not yet!!
Install wont complete... but Ill sit up all night if I have to.
But where is MA when you need them?? :mad:

well, you should have voted with your wallet and not brought said machine. XP is available both in OEM and Retail forms so shop could have installed it if willing. or you could have bought without and installed your old XP or bought a new copy yourself.

anyway, expect the new engine to be vista supported, i suspect its only because of the effort for the new engine that MA have decided not to waste resources fannying around with fixing the old engine.

Are you saying the install breaks or you have not completed the install yet?

I had some issue with the DirectX websetup.exe on my Vista quad processor desktop a few months back.

Let me know if your install breaks at that point...

darri

Well MA.... February 2007 was a long time ago now.

I just had a looong talk with the local geek in our local "Computers'R us Store", and there is no longer anyway out of Vista. They just dont sell anything else now in this town.

So I did it:
I bought myself a brand new PC with some crackedup Geeforce 8600 GS running on a wharfedup Quadro Core AMD 9500 processor. All with nearly 4 GB RAM.... And Vista.

The geek told me this would run pretty much everything short of Crysis in maximum speed. He also told me that all MORPG he knew of, had made Vista patches looong time ago now. And I believed him. The geek then walked away with most of a months salary for a nurse in Denmark.

Now - can I run EU with this???
Not yet!!
Install wont complete... but Ill sit up all night if I have to.
But where is MA when you need them?? :mad:

Google on how to disable uac (it's just a major pain in the arse)
then right click the install file and run it as administrator, if that fails right click and choose properties and then look up compability on that and choose win xp or win 2000.

yes disable user account control in vista and you should be ready to go.

control panel>user account>"account">change security settings

yes disable user account control in vista and you should be ready to go.

control panel>user account>"account">change security settings

btw.. you read the ms dev who explained why uac is so darn annoying? it's SUPPOSED to be :p

IIRC, when I installed teh client in vista, I was having issues with connecting to complete the component downloads .. I ended up grabbing the most current version I could find in the ftp directory, installing that, then letting it update normally.

ftp://ftp.entropiauniverse.com/clients/entropia_9.1.3.exe

To run EU and any programs that actually do something in Vista, the standard is

Right-click->Run as administrator

Not anything to do directly with EU, just default Vista permissions.

VU's won't install(they will do the saem thing as already observed on initial install) if you don't run via administrator.

Or change permissions ofc :D

it wouldn't install for me even with UAC off and running from an administrator account.

it wouldn't install for me even with UAC off and running from an administrator account.

Even though i am admin on my pc, i still have to 'rightclick->run-as-admin'.

ANd i can't be bothered searching vista logs for a solution as i'd rather be playing.

ANd i can't be bothered searching vista logs for a solution as i'd rather be playing.

:laugh: .. that's why I just downloaded a full client installer and then let it update afterwards

I have been using Vista for over a year now. I had no problem installing EU. I don't need "to run as admin". First off turn off UAC, update vista. And it should work.

After the third download+install, it worked. Early this morning.

Im not exactly sure what did the trick. I tried messing with some admin rights in the setup (Have met same problems as others with denied access to files/folders even though Im admin), I updated drivers and Vista patches, but i also had to add the additional ports to my firewall, as told in the EU-support FAQ page.

Finally I told my explorer to have full trust in the EU website, even though it protested highly since downloads are not done from secure servers at MA.

Im not a very good at PC work, so whenever I do stuff, I kindof fumble and just click my way through guides.

EU-loader still read for Vista though:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Also I noticed the shotdown/exit procedure halts or crashes... and using Alt+Tab to change to desktop is extremely slow.

But thanks for the help guys! Im back in there ;)

Just noticed I cant run the program in windowed mode any more.
And the screen capture funtion dont work ingame... :confused:

cross posting here ...

set desktop res higher than what EU runs in (1024x768) Higher!! highhhhher!!

gety grab clip save, years old but still works just as good.

And also, even if your admin your still not admin in vista. Due to uac among other things.

Also stop usinig explorer and use firefox, no problem to dl then.

To run EU and any programs that actually do something in Vista, the standard is

Right-click->Run as administrator

Not anything to do directly with EU, just default Vista permissions.

VU's won't install(they will do the saem thing as already observed on initial install) if you don't run via administrator.

Or change permissions ofc :D

No need to change anything if one installs programs and games on another partition or harddisk.
No need even to run as an admin.
Installing everything on the systempartition only screws up everything after some time. System gets slower and slower and defragmentation is needed more often.
Best what works for me is having a 10GB partition only for the pagefile.

...and about disabling UAC...
Are you really installing and uninstalling several programs every day to annoy you ?
As stated above, it is supposed to be that way. Without it you would not even notice what crap wants to install itself with admin rights.
If you really trust the sites you surf on, the programs you install, the two antivirus programs and the three firewalls you have...then sure...disable anything security related because it makes no difference to your system.
A good admin is paranoid enough to not disable anything that has to do with the security of it's system (and has his primary firewall and antivirus progam on his router).

gety grab clip save, years old but still works just as good.

And also, even if your admin your still not admin in vista. Due to uac among other things.

Also stop usinig explorer and use firefox, no problem to dl then.

i keep seeing you offering all sorts of advice on varying issues that really isn't necessary

all that is needed to run eu on vista is right-click on the EU icon and choose "run as administrator" - DON'T turn off UAC, DON't stop using IE (unless it is your personal preference) :)

send that new shitty computer to me instead, I could even make it a trade for my old goodie computer with xp ;)

After the third download+install, it worked. Early this morning.

Im not exactly sure what did the trick. I tried messing with some admin rights in the setup (Have met same problems as others with denied access to files/folders even though Im admin), I updated drivers and Vista patches, but i also had to add the additional ports to my firewall, as told in the EU-support FAQ page.

Finally I told my explorer to have full trust in the EU website, even though it protested highly since downloads are not done from secure servers at MA.

Im not a very good at PC work, so whenever I do stuff, I kindof fumble and just click my way through guides.

EU-loader still read for Vista though:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Also I noticed the shotdown/exit procedure halts or crashes... and using Alt+Tab to change to desktop is extremely slow.

But thanks for the help guys! Im back in there ;)
Don'T know what you did, but normally "out of the box" the first thing what Vista should have done on it's own is update itself.
And normally first thing one does after that is update all drivers.
Also the downloads through the client are done through secured servers and that should not have given you any trouble either, because the firewall would have told you, what program wants to open which port.
ALT+TAB is slow if you do not do it very often.
The crashes are not really Vista related, it's because Vista is not supported by MA (which is understandable, because the engine switch is near anyway and those bugs will be gone then).I think it might be some clientside checking for "illegal" programs that does not like Vista there.
Does not happen always and if one ALT+TABS very often it is very smooth.

Screen grabbing works without problem, I use AutoScreen and press ALT+PRT, the softeware makes the screengrab and stores it. Automatic screen grabbing does not work.
Skill scanning seems to function only in windowed mode (using skillscanner from jdgre there).

i keep seeing you offering all sorts of advice on varying issues that really isn't necessary

all that is needed to run eu on vista is right-click on the EU icon and choose "run as administrator" - DON'T turn off UAC, DON't stop using IE (unless it is your personal preference) :)

never said it was necesary, but if you cant download with ie, use firefox instead. and uac is annoying and thus i said to disable it.. and i did say run as admin first...

never said it was necesary, but if you cant download with ie, use firefox instead. and uac is annoying and thus i said to disable it.. and i did say run as admin first...

on IE, if "you can't download it," it's not a problem with IE, or everyone on Vista would have an issue, correct? Just as long as everyone knows that Firefox, in this case, is a workaround, and not a true solution ;)

lol i hear ya about UAC being annoying ... but as you well know, security and convenience are almost always a tradeoff :)

and yes you did say to "run as admin," well aware of that =))

Why should one run something as admin that does not need admin rights ?
Would be like logging on as root on Linux just because I can do everything without the need to switch user.
99% of computer related problems are done by the persons at the keyboard/mouse, not the system :D

A whole lot of things in life are annoying, but we do them anyway.
Starts in the morning with getting out of bed :D
Getting food is also quite annoying.
But a window that pops up really rarely and tells you "Are you really god damn sure you want to install the haxxor virus and send all your bank data and ownership to your girlfriend to somebody who was not annoyed and lazy enough to send you this program" surely is not.
Most people do not know what they do with their computer!
A lot think they can give advise, but even people like me would never say "thats the only good way".
And I am long enough in the "game" to remember when AOL joined the internet :D

i think a lot of us are, although i wish it had never happened *shivers* :)

At least they adopted!
I remember the uproar because they did not knew what "netiquette" means. AOL almost lost the rights to subscribe to Usenet then :D
Almost noone nowadays remembers what a BBS is :D

So I did it:

So you bought a new PC with an old graphics card? :(

Uhmn, if it's vista then no, you're not admin on your PC. All local accounts are allways "user". Though you may (or may not) have the account privileges to elevate yourself to administrator.

And on a side note, it is not recommended to turn off vista's "User Account Control" feature, and it is NEVER needed to do so either to make things work properly.

Further more, Mozilla FireFucks does not solve any download issues that can't be fixed in Internet Explorer. Only reason why FireFucks sometimes seems to be working better is because now days it passes through even more crap then Internet Explorer does. Try read the help section in internet explorer ( press F1 :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
this is a great e-penis war

+rep to the op

So you bought a new PC with an old graphics card? :(

not that old, just a economic choise of the 8k series. I would just buy the 8800gt and put that in instead..

or maybe it is old, I haven't checket komplett.se in a long time ^^

Back