Jaywalker's Critter: Calypsan Spring Cactus

jaywalker

Stalker
Society
-TAO-
Juniper Jaywalker Jones
Well, my pencil drawing looks pretty amateurish next to these other amazing entries. Ah well. that's exactly what it is, the work of an amateur. I don't much like the quality of the Jpg file that the local printshop made for me, either, And I surely overdid the "stats and parameters " section (unsure what exactly MA wanted here, so I tried to cover all options lol. Heck, I put morework into researching the meaning of creature stats than anything. And found that some are a mystery to everybody!), And...

But that's enough apologising. I really like my concept, though I say so myself, and would love to see this implemented (besides getting my virtual hands on that FAP , of course *drool*)

What do you guys think? honestly?

Discovery submitted by: Juniper Jaywalker Jones

Spring Cactus

Overlooked by early hunters as botanist-fodder, this is really the highly defended fruiting body of a complex subterranean organism, more akin to the animal kingdom. It has a nervous system and astonishing intelligence. Perceived threats trigger a deadly fusillade of detachable spines, which shoot out at high velocities, as if spring-loaded. This creature cannot pursue you, yet running is futile: a mature specimen will also scoop seed pods from it’s body , using its writhing tufts, and hurl them great distances, where they explode on impact. The sharp fragments can slice through armour, whilst unexploded seedpods create an effective minefield

Observed Maturities:
frag*
pod
sprout
seedling
sapling
eruptive
mature
old
giant
regal

*not a true maturity, but the inert, yet hazardous, fragment of an exploded seed pod

Approximate Statistics/parameters:
Class : ambiguous
Damage types : stab, cut, shrapnel (depending on maturity)
HP: 30 - 3000
Movement: none
Combat: ranged
Aggression: moderate
Tameable: no
Sweatable: yes
Defensive: dodger
Scanning: animal investigator, botanist

Health level: puny- strong
Damage potential: minimal – small
Agility:0
Intelligence:0-20
Psyche:0-20
Stamina: 3-300
Strength: 5-50

Further notes:
1) Unexploded seedpods bear a striking resemblance the familiar fruit, bombardo, and, at a casual glance might easily be mistaken for such…even by butterflies. It is thought that unrecorded, early encounters with the Spring Cactus might account for bombardo’s curious name.

2)Loots from large specimens often include unusual minerals, absorbed from the ground by the underlying structure.

3)The nerve centre of the creature remains undiscovered, due to the impracticality of underground exploration. Heaven knows what might happen, should a mining bomb happen to strike one.

4)There is very little in the way of sound to alert you to the creature’s presence. The highly observant might detect a slight rustling sound, or the occasional “swoosh” as a seedpod is released

5) There are no obvious sensory organs. Possibly these are too alien to be recognisable as such. Or, possibly the creature utilises highly-developed psychic abilities, in lieu of conventional senses.

6) Damage inflicted by a single attack from the creature is mercifully low. However, this is made up for by the high frequency of attacks, and by the composite nature of some attacks.

Addendum : Owing to the unexpectedly hazardous nature of my botanical studies, I, Juniper Jaywalker Jones would much appreciate it, if Calypsan authorities could provide me with medical equipment to facilitate further field work.

very well done!! +rep

Very creative :wtg:

Nice a plant like mob never thought about that GL with create a critter.

Well, my pencil drawing looks pretty amateurish next to these other amazing entries. Ah well. that's exactly what it is, the work of an amateur. I don't much like the quality of the Jpg file that the local printshop made for me, either, And I surely overdid the "stats and parameters " section (unsure what exactly MA wanted here, so I tried to cover all options lol. Heck, I put morework into researching the meaning of creature stats than anything. And found that some are a mystery to everybody!), And...

Done a lot of work on the stats parameters my self. This is what I came up with.

Agility : Moving speed (small birds are the exception with 1 Agi).
Stamina : Hitpoints (known by many)
Intelligence : Believe this to be related to decoys.
Strenght : Hitability of the creature.
Psycho : No idea at all.

Further more, I noticed a relationship between Stanima, Strenght, Damage and Regeneration. I don't suspect that the aggression can be calculated from these parameters.

Well done with your critter! I think you come closest to my approuch: bad drawing and lots of research.

:wtg::wise::wtg:

Great work Jay!
Worthy of a prize, whethe rit be 1st or a runners up if MA decide to put a few in. :)
+Rep. :D

Reactions: Ren
Thanks for all the encouraging reples , guys :)

Done a lot of work on the stats parameters my self. This is what I came up with.

Agility : Moving speed (small birds are the exception with 1 Agi).
Stamina : Hitpoints (known by many)
Intelligence : Believe this to be related to decoys.
Strenght : Hitability of the creature.
Psycho : No idea at all.

Further more, I noticed a relationship between Stamina, Strenght, Damage and Regeneration. I don't suspect that the aggression can be calculated from these parameters.

I totally agree re agil, stamina and strength, IF by "hitability" you mean the the amount of damage the creature deals, per hit (that term could mean any number of things, but that's what I think is determined by the strength attribute

I think that intelligence and psyche determine a) the creatures ability to land a hit on you and b) the creatures ability to evade or dodge your hits. But i couldn't figure out which governs which, because it makes equal sense either way, and those two attributes were pretty much evenly matched, in every instance i looked at.

I never thought about decoys. Hmmmm. It would certainly make a lot of sense to suppose that a low-intelligence creature could be easily distracted.

Last edited:
good job + rep from me.

arr i like dodge creatures :D

nice entry and gj

I totally agree re agil, stamina and strength, IF by "hitability" you mean the the amount of damage the creature deals, per hit (that term could mean any number of things, but that's what I think is determined by the strength attribute

I think that intelligence and psyche determine a) the creatures ability to land a hit on you and b) the creatures ability to evade or dodge your hits. But i couldn't figure out which governs which, because it makes equal sense either way, and those two attributes were pretty much evenly matched, in every instance i looked at.

I never thought about decoys. Hmmmm. It would certainly make a lot of sense to suppose that a low-intelligence creature could be easily distracted.

By "Hit Ability" I mean ehh ... the ability to hit a player lol. What you think is determined by intelligence and psyche. Those two are not always equal. Take Globster Mature for example.
Agility : 12 (and yes, it's slow)
Intelligence : 345
Psyche : 30
Stanima : 231 (lot's of hitpoints!)
Strenght : 32 (same order as Gokibusagi, Molisk, Snable-Snot, Drone and all hit me as many times. Done to "even out" the massive hitpoints and damage, 137 [Entropedia])

Another example, Atrox Young.
Agility : 20 (still slow)
Intelligence : 10
Psyche : 10
Stanima : 99
Strenght : 20
I believe the strenght is quite low, because it is a new regenerating creature. Odd thing is that an Atrox Old has 90 strenght, Guardian is back in line with 30. But then, I've scanned many creatures that don't always fit with what I believe.

As for the creatures ability to dodge/evade, I don't think there is any such thing. There has been enough research on the hit percentage on weapons and such a thing would have been noted.

Decoys, I've read about those a long time ago. Never tried them myself.

Sorry to bring your thread off topic, maybe I should have made a thread in the Hunting section? lol

:ahh::sniper::ahh:

Sorry to bring your thread off topic, maybe I should have made a thread in the Hunting section? lol

:ahh::sniper::ahh:

NP about bringing my thread off-topic. Can't say i didn't encourage ya :laugh:
But a thread in hunting might be a good idea, cos it might be kinda hard for interested parties to find it under this heading, huh?

Your Globster example has certainly made me re-think strength. And so did Atrox Old come to that! (though it's hard any kind of sense at all out of that. a meaningless typo, maybe? lol)

Back