Journal of a N00b

Percivalpl

Guardian
Society
NBK squadron
Lockly Percival Duvall
Hello, since i cannot post in "tutorial" forum i decided to do it here:)

I want to start "my" Journal of a N00b to help another new players not to make the same mistakes, hopefully i will help atleast 1 person. I started playing about a month ago made some good/bad choices and hope to share them:) Although some of things i will write here won't be my own experiences just experiences and knowledged shared by other players:)

I will update the journal every few days with descriptions of most important decisions i made and i will try to comment (comments will be in brackets:) and in italics) on their outcome later on:)

Chapter I "Calypso"

OK, so game was downloaded, installed... didn't read much about the game but it can't be that different from other MMOs i've played (how stupid i was:p ). Controls weren't that hard, WSAD, space bar to change to view mode... all set.

When i just left the ship some guy talked to me, offered me showing around, he was nice, started to give me basic advises. He offered me to show me how to make some few PEDs at the beggining (sweating was still available then, now probably he would tell me to do events like Calypso Challange).

Eager to start i started to sweat. He said 1k of sweat is enough to start so i went to a mob started to sweat and got about 20 on first attempt, so i thought "Pfff 1k, i will get it in 30 min". An hour later when i had about 300 sweat i PMed him with advices how to do it faster, no other way tho... only hard work. Nevertheless, he offered me a mentorship and joining his Soc so i thought "what the hell, i can always resign if i want to" (well:) not exacly, you can resign only in frist few days from what i know:) ). I accepted his offer to become my mentor, and i joined the Soc on the first day (as much as joining Soc was a great decision, i advice joining as soon as possible, taking a mentor requires much more thought... unfortunately now i almost outskill my mentor, and although he's a great guy if i could choose again i would reconsider, probably i would search for someone with atleast half a year of experience and very active)

After total of about 3 hours i got my 1k of Sweat i started to become tired of playing but since i got it i thought i would do something with it. I saw people buying it at 3-5ped so i thought "not bad 5 ped per 1 sweat will give me 5k to start, its way to beautiful" (well duh:p it was a price per 1k ofcourse:) After i got enlightened by one of the traders i sold him my sweat for 4 ped... but i thought that a very nice business... i started to yell at swamp camp that i buy sweat at 3 ped, then i ran to PA and sell it at 4-5 ped and so on, after i made 3 runs like that some players started to call me a scammer and ripoffer for buying from n00bs at such a low price, that was confusing (i still don't think i did anything wrong:) maybe morally inappropriate:) i'm not so confused anymore about their opinions). Since i angered some players i decided to call it a day... 5 hours to get about 6 ped, 4 from sweating 2 from trading (now 6 ped profit is not much:p but sometimes more than what i do now thru whole day when i don't trade:) ). I logged out hoping for better tomorrow... (still hoping:) )"

Feel free to comment upon my stupidity:p its get even better later:p. If i see any interest in this thread i will try to update it often, hope it will help someone:)

Hello, since i cannot post in "tutorial" forum i decided to do it here:)

I want to start "my" Journal of a N00b to help another new players not to make the same mistakes.....

I am not that patience readnig so long but within these word i understood all :)
+Rep you and ill sub the thread :) GL to you m8 :)

Good story there Percivalpl.. Keep it up. :wtg:
Sweating is not enabled yet but it might help out alot of new players around to learn the real price of it and to stick to a decent sale price for sweat.

Chapter I "Calypso: Da Hunt"

"My second day on Calypso, first i found Soc Terminal, as my mentor hadn't had high enough rank to invite me to his Soc i had to apply thru the terminal (i was accepted the next day and am still happy and satisfied member of this Soc:) ). After i applied i didn't know what to do. The day before, before i logged out my mentor told me that when i make 20 ped of sweating he will take me on a hunt, so i thought i will keep on making peds. After about 4-5 hours i said "Enough is enough", i sweated about 1.5k sweat, and sold it, with what i made yesterday i had about 9-10 ped. Although my mentor told me to wait as he had gun worth 5 ped waiting for me (that was Isis CB5, good n00bie BLP gun) i decided to do things my way. While sweating i saw people getting all those peds hunting, chat window displays all globals and HoF "Damn i could be one of them" i thought. So i bought from Trade Terminal cheapest laser pistol and about 800 ammo and went on my first hunt... but what to hunt? Someone told me to find Snablesnot-Males as they are very easy. After some time i found them and started to kill them, they were easy. Killed first, no loot... second, no loot... third, no loot... hmmm about 5th or 6th dropped about 10pec loot. From my recollection in other MMOs i was profiting while hunting... i was always profiting, but here? Something was wrong, i spent about 1-2 ped ammo and got 10 pec. "it much have been just a matter of luck or time till i get my big loot" i thought. So i kept on hunting. I used all ammo, run back quickly to sell my loot at Trade Terminal (Trade Terminals are called TT, never sell at TT unless you are sure no one will buy it from you, even when you get 1% profit for it its worth it, especially at the beggining when every pec matters). So i started with 10 ped worth gun + ammo, and got back with about 3 ped... ok, lets try again, for my 3 ped i bought 300 ammo and went hunting, got back, sold loot and had 2ped left... went again, and again and again... and i sold my gun and left with about 2 peds, i finished the day getting 1k more sweat and sold it for about 4 ped. I started a day with about 10ped and ended with about 6, that made me think... its time to read a bit about this game..."

That was an important lesson for me, even 2 lessons or maybe more... First, in this game the most important virtue is patience, i could wait for my mentor and keep on sweating, he would teach me how to hunt not to waste ammo etc. Second, this game wasn't like other MMOs, its not easy, and to be honest i love the difficulty of this game.

Be patient, think and read a lot, that might save you a day and a feeling of being stupid i felt when logging out that day:) gl

Back