Question: Keeping UL armor at a low TT value

NevadaJake

Elite
Drake Slade Corbett
I have been wearing a set of low TT UL Shogun and hunting Atrax, Merps, etc north of Jason.

My question is this: Is it a worthwhile strategy to not repair my armor to Full TT if I don't want to over-protect myself? I read in the "How Armor Works" thread that Low TT UL armor doesn't protect as much as Full TT UL armor and it also doesn't decay as much when absorbing damage.

I have been wearing a set of low TT UL Shogun and hunting Atrax, Merps, etc north of Jason.

My question is this: Is it a worthwhile strategy to not repair my armor to Full TT if I don't want to over-protect myself? I read in the "How Armor Works" thread that Low TT UL armor doesn't protect as much as Full TT UL armor and it also doesn't decay as much when absorbing damage.

If you do good with the armor @ low tt then why not? less decay when protecting less is a fact, so stick with whatever works for you :)

u'd be better just using a lower prot set like expd

when you dont repair to full condition, actually you pay more decay with the same damage you get.

more reading :

http://entropiawiki.com/Page.aspx?page=Armor Decay

"Effect of decay on protectionLimited armor sets provide the full protection they offer, regardless of how much the armor has decayed (until its broken).

Unlimited armor sets lose protection as they decay. The current assumption (tested by Witte as documented on EF:How Armor Works pg.2), but maybe requiring some checking following this VU) is that the protection offered is in proportion to the amount it has decayed. So a piece of armor that has decayed 50% is thought to provide only 50% of its full protection. It will also decay less, continuing to obey the formulas above based on the actual damage absorbed.

As long as you repair your armors after a hunt this doesn't generally have much effect. However, it can impact some armors with low tt value quite significantly. Its well worth being aware of if you're using something like Pixie for instance as it has a very low tt."

don't wear it all...

maybe - just wear half a suit of armor... no armor on in certain locations means no decay in those locations... Just hope a crit doesn't hit there.

maybe - just wear half a suit of armor... no armor on in certain locations means no decay in those locations... Just hope a crit doesn't hit there.

WTF!!! is it me or are you saying he should wear half a set and HOPE the creature hit's the protected parts? and the areas that are unprotected won't decay? :S

u'd be better just using a lower prot set like expd

Agreed.

If you keep your armour fully repaired then you know exactly what to expect from the hunt. If it's low TT, you will get inconsistent results unless you specifically repair each piece to the exact same TT after every hunt, which would be a huge pain in the arse.

Using full TT armour just makes life much easier.

It's rare when I disagree with Oleg, but let me suggest that wearing less than fully repaired UL armor can be used as a good strategy to get the right amount of protection for the lowest decay. I used ~ 2/3 strength goblin quite a bit while sweating snables or kerbs because with full strength goblin I was pretty much always at full health and "wasting" my free natural healing. (Yes, I know sweating naked is a better strategy ped-wise, but I was after concentration skills and was willing to pay a bit for them).

There is a major caveat to this strategy! Each armor has a "minimum decay amount" per hit. This is easy to calculate, as it is .01 pec (.0001 ped) for each point of total protection of any type the armor offers. For ghost, the total protection is 84, so the minimum decay per hit is .84 pecs. Therefore, if I let it decay to a point where the actual protection should cost me .8 pecs, I still pay .84. You can see that as the armor decays more and more this becomes a greater issue. This is also an issue when you take a damage type that the armor protects against just a little. Let a snable spew acid on your ghost, and you will pay .84 pecs for just 1 point of protection. Compare that to the vivo t1 cost of about .1 pec per point of healing, and you can see you are losing out big-time.

For shogun, the total protection = 45, so the minimum decay is .45 pecs. Using full shogun against a young merp, you will get all 1 point hits for a cost of .8 pecs per hit. At 50% condition, you will average 3.3 points of damage per hit at an average cost of .61 pecs per hit. At 40% condition, you take 4.8 average damage for cost of .5 pecs per hit. Your cost/hit bottoms out when the armor is at 36% condition, and at that point to take an average of 5.6 damage/hit. If you let the armor deteriorate beyond this point, you will just get more damage without further reducing your cost, so obviously you want to avoid that.

Since Atrax hit more of shogun's damage types, you can decay your shogun all the way to 24% before you hit the minimum decay of .45 pecs/hit.

So play around with it and see what decay level works for your hunting style while costing you as little as possible. The armor -v- mobs calculator at entropidia.info can be a huge help in sorting out your options.

Thank you for the help everyone. I think I am going to try to get a set of Warrior it looks like it has exactly half the protection of Shogun, which would be fine for my hunting.

I`m known for running most of my gear at low tt. I often repair my weapons just enough before a hunt to get through it and incluse a bit of looted ammo. That style of play let`s me do it on less PED than it takes to fully reair each time. If I were to repair all my stuff I would easliy be in the 1000`s of PED. But that sum is alot more than what I put in over a long period of time. SO for me it`s more eco to run it all down and only fully repair when I have a big surplus of PED which is not often. I don`t think more than one of my sets of armor has been at full tt more than once. If I kept everything up I could`nt afoord to by ammo or bombs then. So there`s the choice for me. I never considered the fact of doing so with armor so as to not over protect though. For me it`s all about the real money. The eco in game does`nt mean much when we profit. It only matters when we lose.

u alwas need 2 have ur armor repaired. if its not repaired not doing much 2 help u.
u can NEVER have 2 much protection

u don't need 2 repair pl8s fully 2 get max portection

With all the choices for lower level armor , I do not see the problem in finding the correct armor that has the least decay for the correct protection to ped ratio.

Pixie is the shits

Bones

Is that why nemi is such a good armor?

My armors are always fully repaired.
After every hunt the first thing to do is repairing armor + fap
To avoid overprotection, I choose the right armor at the start of the hunt.

Every thing else is stupid imho!

I would join the get Explorer/Warrior/etc crowd myself. Just because its so much easier. But Coop's nice explanation shows what you need to think about if you go the partial repair route.

Wrong, I think?

Yep, plates work exactly the same way afaik.

With all the choices for lower level armor , I do not see the problem in finding the correct armor that has the least decay for the correct protection to ped ratio.

Pixie is the shits

Bones

In general, I agree. So I keep a broad range of armor and plates to mix and match. But some protection levels are just hard to get with fully repaired armor--especially if you don't want to invest in a large plating collection.

To get 6 acid protection, for example, you will overpay using any fully repaired armor set that has that protection. If you already have a set of goblin, then your best choices are either to buy a set of 2c plates to put on a "dummy set" of armor, which you might also have to buy - or - let your goblin decay to 2/3 and use that, repairing it often enough that you don't hit the min decay cost.

The first option requires more investment, the second requires more work. To each his own, I guess.

Yes, Nemi decays less than any other armor in-game.
*runs and hides*

I heard Nemesis doesn't decay at all, and makes you invincible against PKers :D

NB for gullible people: this is a lie.

If you're looking to get 5 points protection, why don't you hunt naked? I just don't have the time to stay and calculate THAT much.

If you're looking to get 5 points protection, why don't you hunt naked? I just don't have the time to stay and calculate THAT much.

A little time calculating can save a lot of time (and expense) fapping. For me, this is only something I'd do if I were going to be camping something (sweating or hunting) for a long time, so that the savings would amount to something.

Wrong.

Wrong, I think?

so u are saying that u would rather have a low tt then a high.
that makes no sence at all
im sry but i rather have full tt then low tt and thats almost a fact :D

ary ^^

MA prefers to keep the tt high so that way we have peds tied up in our items - same as clothing

so u are saying that u would rather have a low tt then a high.
that makes no sence at all
im sry but i rather have full tt then low tt and thats almost a fact :D

ary ^^

No, that's not what I said at all. I said that you are wrong that you can't have too much protection. Having too much protection is one of the worst things you can do in EU, eco-wise.

Thanks for the attempted -rep, but you're gonna have to turn that red dot green before it actually works.

Wrong.

Wrong, I think?

I heard Nemesis doesn't decay at all, and makes you invincible against PKers :D

NB for gullible people: this is a lie.

well u said nemis is no good if not repaired so u most repair it fully or u are decaying ur armor and fap and nemis has 2 be repaired fully because if there is no tt what is there 2 decay.

ary ^^:silly2: be the freelancer

Last edited:
Nevadajake:

I find trying to adjust the TT value of armor is a pain, So to keep it simple I have a few armor sets pixie, bodyguard, rascal, knight, ghost, and a wide range of plates. with this its easy to keep a high protection/healing eco when hunting.

Keep in mind plates don't work how most ppl think they do in the way they mitigate damage/type.

I don't want to be rude here but what the heck are we talking about here 2 or 3 ped. I know times are tough but jeez 20 or 30 cents. If you have to cut it that close then sweat 1K and make the 4 or 5 ped and charge your armor before you hunt. All you have to do is get killed one time and miss the gbl you might of got because someone else killed the mob that you didn't kill because you got a critical hit and got killed. That could have cost you a lot of peds.

I really think the Eco thing (Not just this post but most all of them) goes a little to far. Having said that it would be dumb to have two items, like 2 pistols, and they have the same damage but one has less decay and use the one with more decay. On a side note, I don't think I have ever found the above example. The one with the more decay has a higher dmg or fast rate of fire but it is always a little better.

IMHO spending all this time over a few pecs is like stepping over peds to pick up pecs because you could use this time sweating to make up the difference. And worst yet you can't enjoy the game because you spend all your time trying to figure out how to save two pecs per 1000 ped ammo hunts.

Sorry to sound so mercenary but gee whiz enjoy the game and only play when you can afford it.
PS I will probably get flamed for the above but no matter because I won't change my mind:).

well u said nemis is no good if not repaired so u most repair it fully or u are decaying ur armor and fap and nemis has 2 be repaired fully because if there is no tt what is there 2 decay.

ary ^^:silly2: be the freelancer

what are u saying? Seems to me u are quite gullible. Read Oleg's post properly... :/

From what i know, over protecting is not that great. eco-wise as oleg said.

Back