Kim|Calypso Interview with Normandie Radio

What I find extremely amusing is how they create a system of highly detailed and unique avatars, with possibly unique tattoos/scars/whatever, and that does not create lag, but equipping armor and clothes does, so they had to add a 2 PEC fee to that.

What I find extremely amusing is how they create a system of highly detailed and unique avatars, with possibly unique tattoos/scars/whatever, and that does not create lag, but equipping armor and clothes does, so they had to add a 2 PEC fee to that.

they don't add the fee cuz it makes lag...

they add the fee cuz they loooooove to take your money! :wise:

Because that was with an old avatar system and possibly older servers that were more vulnerable to lag perhaps? :silly2:

The new avatars will actually be a lot easier on your PCs than the old ones, especially your graphics cards. In certain areas we may be talking a 400% performance improvement.

Will we be able to do a free one time avatar redo when this goes live?

The new avatars will actually be a lot easier on your PCs than the old ones, especially your graphics cards. In certain areas we may be talking a 400% performance improvement.

While that is good news indeed, it kind of only reinforces the irony of my previous statement.

Being an american, I found it really hard to understand ya'lls accents...It got boring for me trying to interpret in my head what was being said :/...Sorry, not trying to be mean just couldn't follow and had to close the interview early cuz of it......I myself will be looking foward to fishing and treasure hunting in the future...Till then i'll continue to mine and shoot small mobs..

I hope not. There has already been a few of these given out and I must say, this hurts business bad. You wouldn't believe all the stylist PMs that go on between one another flipping a shit when these are handed out lol.

Edit: Just to put it out there, the big updates like this for avatars (very rare of course, the new hair physics was a small example) & maybe like a month until Mr. & Miss Calypso are our nice times of the year where we get some decent business.

I hope not. There has already been a few of these given out and I must say, this hurts business bad. You wouldn't believe all the stylist PMs that go on between one another flipping a shit when these are handed out lol.

In my opinion, a free avatar remake with limited options should be allowed... Don't think that would hurt business if more stuff was added at the same time, right? :)

I agree! no freebies!

let the stylists have their business! :thumbup:

Reactions: das
I agree! no freebies!

I actually agree with this...I would hope that this is a game that promotes entrepenurship and going to a stylist in real life is something that people make money at...So should it be in game too...

that is good to hear!

I suppose you have someone in place to actually check the FPS in different places, or I am completely blue eyes here? =)

why do I ask? well, I get up to 60 FPS ingame and the average is probably around 35-45 (just a hunch) at 1080p and all settings on very high but there are some rare places where it drops to about 15 FPS. I agree that my card is something you would call rather average nowadays, just a simple stock OC'd GTX 560, but I can run any other game out there with max settings and it never drops under 30 FPS, I'd even say not under 40. I'm speaking about BF3, Crysis 2, Skyrim, STALKER, Mass Effect at max, just to name a few I've tried.

so I was wondering if there is anyone who is actually checking the results or to whom I could send some coords where it sure needs optimising? I will of course understand if there is a bigger number of prayers from people about tattoos etc than those complaining about the lag in certain places... what I mean is, there's probably a large number of players who never saw the beauty of it at better than medium - would it not be a good marketing to spread the word on a much bigger number of channels so to speak... :smoke:

J.

P.S. memory/hhd/cpu is not the reason for lag (8G ddr3 1600, OCZ vertex 3 ssd and under 50% CPU load)

Last edited:
In my opinion, a free avatar remake with limited options should be allowed... Don't think that would hurt business if more stuff was added at the same time, right? :)

I could agree to this depending on what goes on. If they gave changes that are on par with a certain stylist profession level that would be alright. One thing that hurt us greatly was when they allowed new avatars the ability to come out of the gate with any hair style in game, etc. A new hair stylist for example only can do styles 1-10, then as they level up (hair styling is weird btw, we unlock new styles at the most random ass times lol, like we may unlock one at profession level 17.34 or whatever, wtf is that? lol) they unlock more. I feel free changes & looks should only be on par with each beginning beauty profession level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no coder.. I just repair vans & trucks irl but uh..
what does the area has to do with the improvement?
I also noticed several times in my EU carreer that some ava's seem to be harder on my pgraphic card then others, is this problem in the ava or the stuff he's wearing (textures)?

um.. so where is this readable script?... I really don't feel like blowing $26 bucks on something that might not even be worth it to download and listen to...

~Danimal

Good thing I still have one or two free complete makeovers saved on my avatar every time I log in... ^^

um.. so where is this readable script?... I really don't feel like blowing $26 bucks on something that might not even be worth it to download and listen to...

~Danimal

No she's almost done with it Dan..She is just getting to the part where he says "where Danimal's ATH will be found"..Just kidding :laugh::wtg::eyecrazy:

No she's almost done with it Dan..She is just getting to the part where he says "where Danimal's ATH will be found"..Just kidding :laugh::wtg::eyecrazy:

Awww... that was a mean joke! :( ... I've been hunting my tail off..

~Danimal

Awww... that was a mean joke! :( ... I've been hunting my tail off..

~Danimal
Awww Dan...I'm sorry...Don't spend your money sweety..I checked and will be done and posted ..also I will replay the whole interview on my show for those who missed it..

:hug:

The performance problem I got in vu 10.9, was probably not with avatars themselves, but with general rendering of items (not only for rendering avatars; also rendering items in inventory and rendering mobs).

Also, a new lag area for me that is a revival of an old lag area (=control room vu CND vu 9.0), is the misty cloud just outside dockning door of Calypso Space station. It's nearlyl impossibe to control a vessel to fly in there - it's 0.1 FPS or so - only feasible way to enter space station from outside is to try to aim at the door from a distance and then keep up arrow pushede down and then closing your eyes when you get closer hoping you aimed right... (yes it was the cloud effect at the TP that was my problem with the old (vu 9) CND control room aswell).

Also, I say this again since a few people doesn't understand this at all: I'd like viewing distance of objects (avatars, buildings and ships/rocks in space) to be connected to viewing distance rather than "item quality". if you've been hunting on Calypso (with item quality=low since you don't want your GPU to render every grass straw), and you arrive in space you practically don't see other ships and you don't see places like Crystal Palace from a distance until you're on top of it. Again, if you don't see what I mean, go up in space, go to Calypso Space Station and change "Item Quality" (not "Avatar Quality", not "Viewing Distance") between "Medium" and "Safe mode") and you probably will be able to see what I mean.

Also in vu 9 there was a checkbox for "Show wind effects". Maybe there was a reason for that check box lol. (No not just because of lag.)

Last edited:
Can't download the MP3... what do I do wrong?

They would have to, because its a completely diffrent system to the old avatar's. its the only way through it, so people can acctually keep their avatars identity and try and adapt to the new state of the art apperance.

Its also what ma have always done after most serious avatar updates :)

accepted, thanks... still my question: why can I see the DL link but can't download?

Its also what ma have always done after most serious avatar updates :)

... and after (and before!) all such updates, beauty professionals complain that people are able to do advanced changes without using their services, giving the risk that some sort of changes might be nerfed in the process.

I agree! no freebies!

There is not way we wont have to redo our avatars again. I just can't see it when the whole system changes so much and i'd rather MA nto waste there time tring to figure out how to import.

BUT!!!!

they should give stytles like 20 new hair styles that we dont currently have now and can't get for free. And maybe some other things too. Like not being able to tattoo ourselves on first creation. So this may indeed be a step up for Sytlist if they do what i suggest but it kills biz in the meantime which is why they should not have said anything unless they are lying and it's the next VU which i'm starting to think it may be.

It may be the next VU because Arkadia is supposed to have clothing, and Cyrene is supposed to have new cool armour that is bigger then you and more like a robot suit and not a vehicle. So it may be possible.

I can understand what you guys are saying with free avatar adjustments being necessary. I think they need to find someway to withhold at least something though. Like, whatever style number you used to have, you can't get a free one beyond it. Like if now you have style 17, you can't get a free style 34 or whatever. I'm sure other stylists would still be eh about it though. One thing that I truly still want to fight for, I know all stylists do, is the whole new avatar choosing only 1-10. It was during the implementation of Genesis that screwed this up. New avatars can diddle around with everything and not keep it, but they go through the beauty learning and get to keep their green mohawks & cateyes or whatever. Beauty is a market, just like anything else in game and should be treated like it, not give new people everything for free.

oh no no freebie

i just made me samll for 20 peds :D

let them pay too!

Back