Kriegerum G.1 Gauss Rifle Review

Arokh

Stalker
Society
Gloryhound Irregulars
Arokh Arokh Cindar
You may have seen me hunting with it. Or idly picking people off in Twins ring with it. Or if you're the dodgy dishonest type... hacked my account and seen it in inventory. But the fact remains the same - I get asked a load of questions about the Kriegerum Gauss Rifle. So I thought it was time for a review to answer all of 'em.

If you fancy copying any of this to entropedia, feel free, since the info is empty there.

Okay, first off the name. The only thing I can even relate it to is the German word "Krieg" meaning "War". So it's a war gauss rifle... how inventive. Shame it's crap for PK though :)

Very few of these guns have ever been sold. In fact looking at the market stats for it, it works out at maybe two have ever sold on auction. Obviously those doesn't account for player-player trades, but given how hard the magnetic accelerators (required to craft them) are to get hold of I doubt there's many more. For this one I paid around 350% (999PED was the exact cost).

One of the main reasons I bought this gun was to satisfy one simple question. What does it look like in first person view? And more to the point what does it look like in that view when firing?

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

It's surprisingly small in first person mode, probably smaller than even a Fire Forge series. I remember the DOA (a much smaller gun) taking up most of the screen!

Sound is pretty awesome too, sounds like a Marber firing followed by a crack of a whip. Quite distinctive :)

The stats are as follows (assuming you've maxed it):

(Weight is 2Kg)

And the question asked more than anything... can you amp it? The answer is yes! It uses energy amps, and even with just a E-15 amp, it becomes a fairly potent weapon:

EDIT: And yes, you CAN put a scope and two lasers on it.

So what's it good for? Well if you're considering getting one to hunt with now... don't. With the current prices and availability (or lack thereof) it's a pretty stupid move. I did try and do a short hunt with one as a test, and to be honest it's not that bad for smaller prey. It has a slightly higher DPS to a Korss H400, so you'd be looking at similar kinds of mobs to hunt along the lines of that. Only downside for true hunting is the speed, but I guess if you're used to the Breer series or Rikers, then it's not so bad.

What do I use it for? A cheap tagger. We've all wanted (L) 10/10HA tagging guns for a while now, and only have had the option of using things like rocket launchers. However this gauss gun does the trick quite well. With nearly 80m range, it's well outside the aggro range of most mobs. With a half decent reload speed, you can get a number of shots off too, unlike you'd be able to with say a Marber or Fire Forge. And do I need to mention 10/10HA helps?

With nearly 280PED TT, and about 2.5 - 3.0PEC decay, it lasts a while if you plan on using it just for tagging. Had mine about two months or so, and including tagging, lots of random PKing in Twins Ring and a reasonably long test 'hunt'... I've decayed it a little over 50PED. I forsee it lasting me the rest of this year at least. So it's not as expensive as you may think for operating.

"PK?" you say. Ha, no. If you plan on PKing with this seriously, you're not going to do that well. It's like PKing with a Korss. I only really use it in the ring to mess about it for fun. So in that respect it's not ideal. And armour with any decent penetration protection makes it all but useless. Out of all the gauss guns, I'd say the Customised G.2 is probably the only one you'd even consider for PKing... but then why not just use an LR or CB series? It's just a waste if you ask me.

Look, if you're going to get a gauss gun get the G.1(L) over the Kaiser-Graf HVMR-1 (the unlimited gauss gun). Why? Well the unlimited has much lower damage AND low range (lower than an LR and similar to a CB series rifle), which makes it mostly useless unless you plan on skilling gauss hardcore and don't want to keep having to track down new rifles. But since most of us max the current gauss guns in game via other skills, is there really a point in skilling further for now?

At least this (L) version also has the advantage of being able to double up as a suitable tagging gun.

"So why shouldn't I get a G.2 gauss rifle?" your asking. Well it's only a few dam/sec more, and an extra 10m range... but you're going to be paying nearly two and a half times the price for it. Do you think thats worth it? I certainly don't. Of course there's always the Customised G.2.... and, well... thats in a league of it's own.

So what am I saying? In these current times if you're gonna get a gauss, get a G.1 series OR a Customised G.2 (if you're exceptionally lucky)... or the G.1 unlimited version if you've got more PED than sense. However I expect MA to release more of these kinds of weapons in the future, so there may end up being far more choice. But if you can't wait... you've got two options ;p

Love using this gun - probably because it's something different. You get assloads of gauss skills to start with AND it looks pretty damn awesome. Not to mention it's great for a 10/10HA tagger! Only cons really are the fact it's (L), the initial price and the fact that availability is next to none thanks to low drop rates of magnetic accelerators.

Any more questions, feel free to comment/ask and I'll update with the answers ^^

I would love to see it using tac or fi/ra/co blp amps instead of laser amps..
As this gun makes mostly penetration damage then blp amps would seem to be logical for fit..
I like pvp side of game and kind of appreciate each item by its pk abilities foremost..
Burn/penetration mixed (and each of it in no big amounts) does not work well against pk armors..
range is real nice for (L) (!!!), with slightly bigger rate of fire and penetration-only damage it would do splendid pk gun against 3E(L) plate users..
Shame MindArk, looked over nice little niche for Gauss

Yup, was surprised it took an energy amp - or any amp at all for that matter. BLP would be a better fit though for as you say, it does only penetration. Doesn't matter so much on mobs or in the ring, but on armourd targets yes, you'd certainly see some advantage.

Agree with preferring weapons that have one type of damage for PK too. The gauss isn't bad against people with say Vigi+6A on, but then... with some of the nice laser carbines, it seems a bit of a waste.

But who knows, maybe MA will introduce one with higher rate of fire and damage (imagine a gauss version of the LR series!). Now that would be interesting... :D

(EDIT: Uhh... why is my posts background PINK?!?)

Back