Question: Laser Weapons Engineer ( Pistol ) Crafting Path

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
I've been around the game a long time, but I've never done much crafting. I am a total crafting noob! Before I chipped out I had BPC from basic filers and damper skilling. I don't have it any more.

I will probably regret this, but I have this strange desire to craft weapons for my personal use. The logical side of me says that's probably not a good idea. That I will probably think current MU% is cheap by the time that I get to the position that I can actually craft what I need! I'll probably have spent a lot more money just trying to skill up to do it than I would have spent if I just bought the items.

With that said, I'm interested in the blue print path I need to follow in order to make laser pistols.

Do I just start with Man MPH from the technician, or is there some other starting point? I understand some old weapons on the lists are no longer craftable because the mats don't drop any more, or are extremely rare, how do I know what those are?

Welcome any advice, even the advice that says, noooooo don't do it! Run away from the crafting machine! :laugh:

PS. I checked, fwiw, I'm level 5.78% in my Laser Weapons Engineer profession.

Last edited:
Assuming your grinding just for skills/TT food,I would think the good old Jester D1 would get you the skills your looking for. Was always a cheap grind for me. I recall the Breer P1 droping some fine loots back in the day as well. P1 may cost a bit tho, but the BP drops paid for mine quickly.

Reactions: Mac
Assuming your grinding just for skills/TT food,I would think the good old Jester D1 would get you the skills your looking for. Was always a cheap grind for me. I recall the Breer P1 droping some fine loots back in the day as well. P1 may cost a bit tho, but the BP drops paid for mine quickly.

Would it matter that the Jester D1 is a Carbine when I wanted to focus on Laser Pistol?

Hello Mac,

Now first of all, I'm no crafter in any sense, but as far as Casper's suggestion goes...I think his idea is for you to skill upon a cheap cost per click weapons BP to first build up your skills (i.e. unlock BPC again) before going specific.

But as far as that logic goes, in the past it would have been the way to go via clicking cheap component BPs like Basic Filters so as to speak. But nowadays, I trust that most of the crafters around would instead suggest that you grab a couple of RK-5 (L)s plus enough welding wires to break them all and then head up to space to "repair-skill" (on a mothership or privateer) and unlock your BPC that way.

If I'm not wrong, I vaguely remember that someone said that it would roughly cost 200+ peds (not sure inclusive of MU or not) worth of RK-5 plus welding wires to unlock it.

Do note that doing it this way offers no returns and so all the peds spent are totally "converted" into skills in that sense so be warned. And also, remember not to bring any lootables up into space and do find a way to get back to the ground be it via tping down from space station or fly down yourself via a Quad or Sleip (with thrusters).

Hi Mac,

As stated above I would suggest skilling repair. 9 rk5 with wire should be enough to unlock bpc (from level 0). So can be gotten in a very short time.

Gl,
Sbi

The cheapest way to skill up is to just buy the skills.

Hey Mac, don't do that. Your rational part is correct.

Aside from what yourself mentioned in regard to cost of skilling, imagine this scenario: you want to craft for yourself weapon X. Let's say that you break a gun in an average day of hunting. Or maybe in two days. That would mean, you'll most likely try to craft for your own like 4-5-6 guns in one batch. Given the wild swings of CoS (chance of success btw ;P), it could be anything from 100% in a few clicks to click 30-40 times just to get those 4-6 guns.

The other option would be to do longer batches (the better way) and craft for like 1 month or more of wep usage. The downside of this is that you'll have peds stuck in your stack of weapons and peds stuck in materials and residue.

In both cases, you'll have the challenge to establish yourself the cheapest way possible of getting the materials and residue (orders on auction, farming some, crafting smaller stuff etc.). This is by far the biggest issue, together with correctly calculating the needed budget (aside from the hunting budget).

======

Those being said, crafting is the most beautiful and challenging profession in EU and nothing can compare with it in terms of sense of accomplishment/hellish frustration.

For the bp path, you have to calculate yourself based on markup of materials. Jester d-1 then p1a. Iirc, you can approach p1a at about lvl8 lwt eng, but don't quote me. Afterwards, you'll know by yourself, atlho p1a might be bread and butter for ages, depends how is the market and new bps atm.

Don't even consider trying this with less than 5-6k peds dedicated to skilling (and hope for looted bps which to help you continue), and that is a rather risky estimation, 10k would put in a more safe position, as long as you don't go gamble all the way (condition). And that's for skilling to required level, afterwards you'll have to evaluate by yourself what you need for crafting your own pistols, hunting with them and remain alive. The repair way can be ok, but is boring as hell. Some 20-30 tt of engineering from auc would help alot and is peanuts to what you'll actually come to spend.

The actual type of wep crafted matters only in the beggining, as long as LWT will help. Afterwards, weapon manufacture, wep tech, eng, bpc and machinery will allow you to click whatever wep you want.

Gl whatever you decide :)

My vote goes to using RK-5s on board a MS and repairing. You get a *lot* of engineering skills doing this, and I unlocked BPC fairly quickly. It didn't break the bank either. A lot of the crafting professional levels will increase when you do this.

While I now also skill crafting to get specific skills improved, if I want an increase on many crafts I still go back to repairing a MS!

The cheapest way to skill up is to just buy the skills.

Listen to this guy... spent maybe 300 ped going to L10 Vehicle repair and unlocking BP (maybe cheaper now because of wires having lower MU), sold vehicle repair, vehicle technology and engineering for 260 ped (140 ped net) all. And I sold them a little above MU. The bad thing only a part of them were made on MS, 1/3 I was chasing vehicles around.

Skilling on the Kronan has done wonders for my crafting and has been well worth the time and ped's spent but it does not give you the Laser Wep Eng your looking for. You will also want the residue you get from grinding prints if you want full TT L wepons. I feel its important to do both but youll never get a cool BP drop or a HOF skilling repair.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

I'm inclined to skill on bps. MS Repair skilling doesn't really interest me, I like to do my own thing so the whole coordination thing doesn't appeal to me, plus spending money on repairing and welding wire is just spending, if I was going to just spend, I'd spend on skills. I'm not opposed to spending on skills, I broke that cherry long ago, but I'd rather play the game because skilling on some bp means its possible to global and hof and possibly get something back that I can use or sell. You can't do that with repairing or chipping.

So, what I was looking for was some path to follow, something like, skill up on Mann MPH to level ?, then move to P1A to level ?, then move onto ??? Finally, I've arrived and I can craft H28! woohoo!

Ok, probably not going to happen, but you get the idea. What path can I map out to follow and prgress?

My LWT seems pretty high at 9k or so and getting higher, so I assume that will help me, right?

Thanks again for all the help!

A small advice you probably already know: Don't buy BPs with ATAUs, BTAUs as a crafting material. Those things don't drop anymore and will be most likely useless after all remaining stacks are sold.

Back