LetterRun - an event for beginners (15.12.2007)

And once again, a qhick change: Unfortunately on eof our crew memebrs will not be able to join us today, so in the Swamp Camp, there will be another person instead of Laisa Coop Cooper. THe name will be given right befor the event.

See ya soon!!!

And once again, another quick change.
Due to some horribly disturbing events, I won't be able to log into EU today (or maybe tomorrow or even next V.U.).

I was supposed to cover this event for ENN.
May I ask people to send a few pics?
I will ask the CEO if we can reward people who bring the best angle and content.

Hi, great event Arti, and i applaud you for your effort.
But considering you said you would be scanning before the race for agility levels you cant blame people for believing you would control this.
If not for this aspect would have been great, but not policing a rule you said you would police makes some people unhappy, especially those that kept levels under 20,lol.
You want to change your own rules, announce it beforehand.

Cheers

Thanks for that event Arti. It was fun and I am glad that I could help :yay:

I know it was hard work for you, especialy today, but it was all good fun in the end.

Free events rock :yay:

Hi, great event Arti, and i applaud you for your effort.
But considering you said you would be scanning before the race for agility levels you cant blame people for believing you would control this.
If not for this aspect would have been great, but not policing a rule you said you would police makes some people unhappy, especially those that kept levels under 20,lol.
You want to change your own rules, announce it beforehand.

Cheers
++++++REP to ARTI++++++

I agree. I could have invited all my friends to join who needed the money, but when I saw 20 Agility Limit I didn't even bother.

Also I planned for this event and when I went to the Highlighted parts in the screenshots they weren't there.... it was very confusing since i had planned to go to those exact spots and when it was empty i was in shock ad disbelief.

The Event was great for noobs like me and FREE :)

But one thing I did not like was Arti did not accept my PED tips, that really pissed me off.

Good Job Arti!!! (Eventhough I complain a lot lol)

++++++REP to ARTI++++++

Well i have to congratulate the winners and thank the organizers for this free event.

The only problem was... yes, agility. I've been preventing from reaching 20 all the week and i finally find that there some players that have more. We can't be sure if they had this agility when registering and since the only way to know it is scanning, 20 should have been the agility for STARTING the race. Someone could have registered with 21 lying at Arti and tell later that it increased by playing. I think is common sense. Anyway thanks for this race and thanks to sponsors.

Great event, congrats to all participants and specially to Arti, who worked a lot so we could have fun.

I just so sorry about my run-away pet :whip:

Anyway, kudos to all involved!

That was an AWESOME event:) I still can't believe I won...Thanks a lot to Arti and all the sponsors and organisers!!

Congratulations to the Winners and recipients of drawing prizes. Heres the picture of the Winner i made for the winner...

Enjoy and again great event Arti!

Cool pic u made there:) *saves*

Great event! And I even managed to win something! Thanks to all who contributed to the organization of the letter run. Arti, Randy, Alice in Wonderland and all the others. You guys rock!!!

Those who were a bit disappointed because some of the players who took part to the event had a level of agility that was higher than 20 should remember that the first 3 prizes have been won by players with an agility value lower than 20, so there's no point in complaining now that it all ended.

Jean Lucretius Meslier

an action-packed afternoon. Had a great time, Arti, thanks and great work!

Great event! And I even managed to win something! Thanks to all who contributed to the organization of the letter run. Arti, Randy, Alice in Wonderland and all the others. You guys rock!!!

Those who were a bit disappointed because some of the players who took part to the event had a level of agility that was higher than 20 should remember that the first 3 prizes have been won by players with an agility value lower than 20, so there's no point in complaining now that it all ended.

Jean Lucretius Meslier

Do you still think somebody with an agility of 6 could beat them in a straight path?

Didn't think so.

Jean Lucretius Meslier

Hi Jean, the point you make is irrelevant, it is about running an event fairly and as it was laid out and presented to all that chose to enter based on the rules and criteria.
And when should criticisms be made, they were put forward at the start of the event and brushed off, so now would seem like an appropriate time to address them.
Some people minimised their activities for a week or more prior to the event so as not to go over the required agility level.
People could have entered that didnt meet the criteria even under the flawed scenario you condone.
If two seperate people took the same course and path and one had greater than 20 agility and one had less the player with the agility over 20 WOULD win.
When rules are made they are not made to be broken at the start line , with possibly an exception for righteous reasons, these weren't righteous reasons.
Event organisers need to be people of integrity and be seen to be people of integrity.

This was a good event and the organisers did well and i applaud them.
This doesn't mean they can not be improved on or errors weren't made.
If people condone situations that are unfair, then unfair situations will continue, and who wants that?

Regards

as far as i saw that, the ppl were pretty much at the same speed and in the same group

a rl friend and soc mate who visited me that day even was at the finish and told me that the first who actually pmd arti with the right word was the winner, not the first who shouted the word in the chat, what most did

so even if you managed to get there first with 20 agility, if you didn't read that, the 6 agility who chatted first could have won :)

to the event from my perspective, it was pretty much fun :D

although i had problems to bring Hope in place (my daiki pet), had to make her stuck in the service center since she didnt want to stop else :D

Great to hear it was a great event, funny i didnt get a single thanks, or even a mention in the thread. Its not that i want everyone to know i dontated, but its just a bit disappointing to see arti mentione others in the thread but me.

But great that it was a good event, congrats to winners.

Hey Richard, we're all grateful to all the sponsors and organisers, and that includes you:) Especially I have to be grateful for an apparent reason:p

Great stuff Richard, without the generosity of sponsors there would be no event.
Yourself and everyone who organised and donated goods did a great thing :)

Well done.

as far as i saw that, the ppl were pretty much at the same speed and in the same group

a rl friend and soc mate who visited me that day even was at the finish and told me that the first who actually pmd arti with the right word was the winner, not the first who shouted the word in the chat, what most did

so even if you managed to get there first with 20 agility, if you didn't read that, the 6 agility who chatted first could have won :)

to the event from my perspective, it was pretty much fun :D

although i had problems to bring Hope in place (my daiki pet), had to make her stuck in the service center since she didnt want to stop else :D

Alice, the rules said you had to PM the answer, so of course it is expected that that is a requirement.
All rules should be adhered to, or how does anyone know the rules?

Hi Jean, the point you make is irrelevant, it is about running an event fairly and as it was laid out and presented to all that chose to enter based on the rules and criteria.
And when should criticisms be made, they were put forward at the start of the event and brushed off, so now would seem like an appropriate time to address them.
Some people minimised their activities for a week or more prior to the event so as not to go over the required agility level.
People could have entered that didnt meet the criteria even under the flawed scenario you condone.
If two seperate people took the same course and path and one had greater than 20 agility and one had less the player with the agility over 20 WOULD win.
When rules are made they are not made to be broken at the start line , with possibly an exception for righteous reasons, these weren't righteous reasons.
Event organisers need to be people of integrity and be seen to be people of integrity.

This was a good event and the organisers did well and i applaud them.
This doesn't mean they can not be improved on or errors weren't made.
If people condone situations that are unfair, then unfair situations will continue, and who wants that?

Regards

Having participated in several events like this, I can tell you that in every case there were unforseen circumstances that caused the organizers to fiddle with the rules right before or even during the event--including events with a registration fee.

Arti's intent from the very start was to provide an event for new players, on that they could enjoy, that would help them learn about EU, and would give the winners a nice head start on their journey.

I sort of sympathize with you, since I probably would have been one of the rule followers that reduced my activities to stay within the agility level posted.

At the same time, I'm sure Arti did not want to penalize someone who really is a newer player, who registered for the event in good conscience, then gained a point or two agility in the normal course of the week.

This was Arti's first event, but she wants to do others. I'm sure she will learn from experience what kinds of rules work best, so better to present your concerns as constructively as possible, rather than risk leaving a bad taste in her mouth so that she doesn't even want to do more.

Great to hear it was a great event, funny i didnt get a single thanks, or even a mention in the thread. Its not that i want everyone to know i dontated, but its just a bit disappointing to see arti mentione others in the thread but me.

:ahh:

This on behalf of Arti, since I'm sure it was a very unintentional oversight. I think it is really great when people like Richard see an event presented on EF and jump in to add to the prizes. That is community at its best, so don't forget to include Richard in your +reps :)

Having participated in several events like this, I can tell you that in every case there were unforseen circumstances that caused the organizers to fiddle with the rules right before or even during the event--including events with a registration fee.

Arti's intent from the very start was to provide an event for new players, on that they could enjoy, that would help them learn about EU, and would give the winners a nice head start on their journey.

I sort of sympathize with you, since I probably would have been one of the rule followers that reduced my activities to stay within the agility level posted.

At the same time, I'm sure Arti did not want to penalize someone who really is a newer player, who registered for the event in good conscience, then gained a point or two agility in the normal course of the week.

This was Arti's first event, but she wants to do others. I'm sure she will learn from experience what kinds of rules work best, so better to present your concerns as constructively as possible, rather than risk leaving a bad taste in her mouth so that she doesn't even want to do more.

Hi Coop, i acknowledged the great work Arti did and have tried to only provide constructive criticism without offending.I dont know why you suggest about "bad taste in mouth".Reread thread please.
For the record where you say "I'm sure Arti did not want to penalize someone who really is a newer player, who registered for the event in good conscience, then gained a point or two agility in the normal course of the week." you are not looking at it objectively.
To NOT penalise one for going over 20 you penalise all those who stayed under.
And it was also a rule, a rule that could have been adhered to, or where does the line blur.
Again, as i have said they did a great job, i have just pointed out something which occured needlessly and created disharmony or concern and confusion for some.
It could have been done as the organiser stated, you want to break a rule, why not break them all?
The only reason i am still posting in this thread is because the odd person or so wants to condone a mistake of judgement by organisersas being not a mistake,lol.I was happy to make one original comment.
The criteria as startyed by organisers was be 20 or under, and there will be scanning before event.
Is that confusing, is that hard?
Please leave it there, they made mistake i am tired of responding. :banghead:

Regards

I wasn't able to stick around for all of the prize ceremony, and I was mostly afk while it was going on, so I don't have much of a clue about who the winners were, but grats to them and to everyone who took part in the race. Events like this are an important part of EU life so it was good to see a lot of people participating, and I hope all of you new people will stick around and join in with more events in the future.

Arti had a lot of work to do before and during the event, and some of the other organisers and helpers were very busy too (not me, I was just stood still by a revival hehe), so if anything was overlooked it will have just been an oversight amid the chaos.

I can understand if people are frustrated about some aspects of the race, but complaining about a free event seems a bit unfair, especially when some of the prizes were awarded just for taking part, not for winning. I'm sure Arti will appreciate the constructive criticism though, and I hope she is encouraged by the success of this one and organises more events in the future. Great work, Arti!

Hi Richard and thanks for the items you donated to the winner.

You might have overlooked that Arti had a post updating us about your generous contribution.

Please check the post #14
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/events/91028-letterrun-event-beginners-15-12-2007-a-2.html#post1086747

Dear all,

I am happy to announce that some additional items have been added to the prize pool for the first place. I have just collected a Lesser TP Chip (11.26 TT value), 500 ME and Full TT NeoPsion Aa Mindforce implant contributed by Richard Devil. So hurry up and register ASAP :wise:

Once again, thanks a lot to the generous sponsours.

Greeting everyone,

Here I am, back again :). The event is over and I want to thank all the participants and those, who have contributed to the event organization.

I am glad to announce the winners and those who posessed the lucky numbers and won additional prizes :woot::

The winners:

First place: Raynaldo Scott Garcia
Second place: Danex Danex Crook
Third place: Jean "Lucretius" Meslier

Additional prizes won during the random drawing:

Cindelia Cindy Flake - 10 PED!
Oliver Loafers Nguyen - 10 PED!
Chaterine Thazeta Jones - 10 PED!
Daniel Dan Lockyer - 10 PED!
Laureline Lolo Cross - beginner drilling tools and 10 probes!
Andy Blaise Crook
- share in a beacon mission with Rising Potentials and -=C.A=- Calypso Angels society members.

Congratulations!!! :cheer::dance:

Last edited:
Thank you Arti, to you and your assistants, a superb event.

I must say that this event was a great experience for me. The main goal of the "LetterRun" was to help beginners and give them a taste of event, and I hope that we have managed to reach that goal.

Nevertheless, it seemed that technical problems would never stop occuring. First, the new VU removed the avatar information, which should have contained our letters. Second, our pets, whose names, according to the plan B, supposed to be carrying letters, were going through some major lags: they just went crazy and kept on running away. Gladly, we have found 2 of them (in particular, I am very glad that Hope found her way back home, otherwise, I don't know what would have Alice done to me:). The escaped Exorasaur was last seen diving into the "deep waters" near the stable to the North of PA :). Might be still running somewhere around Eudoria. Third, when participants were trying to initiate a private chat with me, I kept on accepting them and even wrote them in reply, but they couldn't read my replies, moreover, the chat window would not be opening for them. But in reality, nothing goes as smoothly as you plan.

There was also a place for some unpleasent misunderstandings and I bring my apologies to those, who feel that they were treated unfairly. I am sure there is a lot of space for the improvement, and we will not stop chasing the perfection.

Once again, I would like to thank:

Randy Maddog McDowell and Laisa Coop Cooper (unfortunately, she had access problems and could not join us on the event day) for the huge support and help with organization;
Anshe Bank, Richard Devil, Raven Raven Valicur, Oleg Oleg McMullery, Maddog and Zwarka for their generous contributions to the prize pool and Timmers for his offer (sadly we could not meet in-game to collect his prizes);
Alice in Wonderland for providing us with skilled and well fed :) pets;
Alice, Maddog, Eric Aardman Halfabee, Kryss Cat Wanweird, Mateus Sol Wanweird and Oleg for revival and number checks;
Will WD Do and Missy Extasy West for jumping in last minute and covering our backs :);
Raven for bringin over and spreading champagne over the winner and posting the screenie :);
All Rising Potentials society members for the moral support;
AND many many more for kind words, offers to help and contribute, +reps and constructive criticism.

But hey, this is only the beginning :wtg:, so stay tuned! Good luck and see you around.

Best regards,
Arti

Last edited:
Glad to inform you on that the lost Exa also managed to make it to the stable and the deed appeared in the ownr's inventory. So proud to say now that no PET was harmed during the event :)

Last edited:
Glad to inform you on that the lost Exa also managed to make it to the stable and the deed appeared in the ownr's inventory. So proud to say now that no mob was harmed during the event :)

weeeee :yay:

John is back !!!

and, err

i killed a moli young during the event, but i didn't tell anyone :silly2:

Back