Look Out For SOC Scammer

Tauro

Old
Society
New Born Souls
Salvador Sully McNeal
Like most Soc members, one tries to help out the new members by taking them to TP's, giving advice and having them tag along on small hunts(to get the feel of how the team works). Most of these new members are pretty excited and want to get into the action. Many are also from countries that speak other than English. With patience, the language barrier gets broken down and you learn to communicate.

Recently our Soc has had a rush of new members, all of whom chatted in very broken English (Be suspiscious :wise:. A small hunt was organized and one of those new members was short a few PED for ammo. Being a nice guy and wanting him to experiance the thrill of the hunt, I loaned him a few PED. Once he got the PED he vanished; left the hunt and quit the guild.

I was lucky that I had him on my friends list and see him pop on almost every day and remind him of what he owes me. Never does he respond. I figured that this now would be my responce to his silence. Look out for KYLE KYLE TUROWSKY. He is a Soc Scammer. Joins Socs and strips a few PEDs and then moves on to infect other Socs. I just wish I had a pic to show it.

Sully

I guess you did well, by taking a small risk, you drew out the scammer. And you named-and-shamed him too.
Good luck with your other recruits!

Too much of this going on, Golden rule though dont lend something unless you dont care if you never see it again.

Even better dont lend anything...

Sorry you got had though, its a shame when nice people get conned

Wow, I am impressed that a few people actually read and replied to my Thread. Thanks. :)

sorry u lost some ammo/peds, but really u have no-one to blame but yourself for falling for it, do what i and my m8s do, only lend to people u know i RL, that way u know u will get it back, sorry u got had, and hopefully, his avatar nam (Kyle Kyle Turowsky), is not a bad name for the other Kyles out there, ;)

Appreciate the heads up...could have been worse. Scammers do not belong!!!

Boss

Its easy, just make ranks in your soc by trust.

studley said:
sorry u lost some ammo/peds, but really u have no-one to blame but yourself for falling for it, do what i and my m8s do, only lend to people u know i RL, that way u know u will get it back, sorry u got had, and hopefully, his avatar nam (Kyle Kyle Turowsky), is not a bad name for the other Kyles out there, ;)
He wasn't blaming anybody. It seems to me he is well aware of the risks he took, and doesn't appear to be angry or upset. He was simply warning us for a scammer.

And knowing a person IRL is STILL no guarantee you'll get your ingame-lent stuff back.

dbelinfante said:
He wasn't blaming anybody. It seems to me he is well aware of the risks he took, and doesn't appear to be angry or upset. He was simply warning us for a scammer.

And knowing a person IRL is STILL no guarantee you'll get your ingame-lent stuff back.

if he/she is a friend that is guarantee and ignore the blaming bit, just realised he wasnt, my bad

To what end???

I mean comeon, I can see a few scams that are worth the time and effort. But a few PED's, not even worthy of being called a scammer.

Think about it. Someone lends someone 10 peds, = 1 USD. Heck I can find that much change under my car seat. Now the scammer gets the one dollar and leaves, then attempt to join another soc or group hunt. Maybe if he is good he can do 2 dollars per day. Thats 60 dollars a month. And how many months can he do that before everyone in game knows his name???

Geez, these things are not even worth the time to post anymore in my opinion.

Now had you loaned him your mod fap, or Angel armour, then yeah, I can see the ramifications behind that. But a few PED's???

See my avatar to the left.

Regards,

NetStalker said:
To what end???

I mean comeon, I can see a few scams that are worth the time and effort. But a few PED's, not even worthy of being called a scammer.

Think about it. Someone lends someone 10 peds, = 1 USD. Heck I can find that much change under my car seat. Now the scammer gets the one dollar and leaves, then attempt to join another soc or group hunt. Maybe if he is good he can do 2 dollars per day. Thats 60 dollars a month. And how many months can he do that before everyone in game knows his name???

Now had you loaned him your mod fap, or Angel armour, then yeah, I can see the ramifications behind that. But a few PED's???

Regards,
A scammer is a scammer. Regardless of the size.
And anyway, 60 US dollars may not be a big deal to you or me, but to many players, a ped is worth more than one of their own currency. So it might well be a bigger deal to both the scammer and his victim.

PS: Seen your avatar to the left. Loved it! :laugh:

Last edited:
netstalker>> Well I dont know but IMHO i think a murderer is a murderer even if he just killed one and not hundreds of thousands...

Another fine comparition done by me :p

Seriously, a scammer is a scammer, maybee his scamming skills get higher and he scams other people in other ways for more peds. Better to stop it before it starts.

dbelinfante>> He pointed it towards me once :(

RidingDirty said:
netstalker>> Well I dont know but IMHO i think a murderer is a murderer even if he just killed one and not hundreds of thousands...

Another fine comparition done by me :p

Seriously, a scammer is a scammer, maybee his scamming skills get higher and he scams other people in other ways for more peds. Better to stop it before it starts.

dbelinfante>> He pointed it towards me once :(

Murder versus theft of a few dollars, not even worth discussion of the differences here.

Yes, a scammer is a scammer, no debate there, my issue is with the uselessness of posting over a scammer that takes a few dollars. Every day, every night, there will be someone that scams someone else out of a dollar or so. Yep it happens, yep its wrong, but its no longer news worthy.

There are 100+ posts about people letting people borrow something or another and the that person dissappears. Nothing new, nothing revealing, just pure stupidity on most persons parts.

Have I loaned people things? Yes. Have they dissappeared? Yes. Does that stop me from loaning? No. From the moment I loan something in my mind its already gone.....much like my deposits into EU. :rolleyes:

Its part of the game....kind of like dating, you date, you learn about each other and then you move on. Eventually you find your soul mate, but not before wasting lots of PED's on those previous dates.

So if you ask me, dating is a scam. :cool:

And oh yeah....that bit about Dbelinfante already pointing you to my avi....thats just priceless. :D

NetStalker said:
Murder versus theft of a few dollars, not even worth discussion of the differences here.

Yes, a scammer is a scammer, no debate there, my issue is with the uselessness of posting over a scammer that takes a few dollars. Every day, every night, there will be someone that scams someone else out of a dollar or so. Yep it happens, yep its wrong, but its no longer news worthy.

There are 100+ posts about people letting people borrow something or another and the that person dissappears. Nothing new, nothing revealing, just pure stupidity on most persons parts.

Have I loaned people things? Yes. Have they dissappeared? Yes. Does that stop me from loaning? No. From the moment I loan something in my mind its already gone.....much like my deposits into EU. :rolleyes:

Its part of the game....kind of like dating, you date, you learn about each other and then you move on. Eventually you find your soul mate, but not before wasting lots of PED's on those previous dates.

So if you ask me, dating is a scam. :cool:

And oh yeah....that bit about Dbelinfante already pointing you to my avi....thats just priceless. :D

Thats why I wrote that ironical line Another fine comparision by me. I relize that theese two things cant be compared in a good way unless I get at least half an hour to work it out :p

I agree whit most of what you say. Theese kind of scams is only to blaim yourself for, but I still think it would be good to let us know bout all scammers in-game. Even though it might not be newsworthy.

BTW: He didnt point it at me, I just responded to his statement about your avatar :p

NetStalker said:
To what end???

Well, if someone starts out scamming small amounts - and discovers that he/she can get away with it without anyone reacting - I think there might be a very good chance that they then escalate the scamming.

Better to get at them early on, IMO - thanks for the warning, Tauro.

We had one last week. A Romanian named George who claimed he was working in the UK (can't remember his full name, maybe someone else in the soc remembers?) He tried to get me to form an equal peds team after I agreed to do a TP run for him. Set up a team real quick for a noob too. Shame he had no weapon. He bailed out after 5 minutes once he realised I wasn't interested in his agenda. Funny thing is I got busted commenting on him in soc chat when I meant to type into team chat. He left the soc that night... musta realised none of us were gonna be an easy scam for him.

This happens a lot.
The best thing a soc can do is set up an interview before accepting the person into the soc. This way i already stopped around 10 people from entering the soc who really acted suspicious. We started the interviewing process after we had gotten twice a scammer into the soc. Although they got thrown out real fast after found out.

Basically an interview consist of asking the person a lot of questions.
- Where are you from in RL? (If he is from another country then most of your soc ask him why he would not prefer to enter a soc with fellow countryman?)
- Where around do you in RL?
- What do you do in RL?
- How do you think to finance playing this game?

With a bit of thinking you can make a nice list of questions to ask.

Basically if you do the interview you will normally know really fast if the person in question is behaving strangely or is contradicting himself. If this is the case i normally say 'I do not feel that you will fit into our soc.' and finish the interview wishing him GL. Also use the knowledge of your fellow soc members in the interviewing process. For instance if the person claims to be Romanian and living in London England then use people with knowledge about both facts. We happen to have an honest and completely trustworthy Romanian in our soc i ask him to help me. The last interviewed person went away really fast after i included my soc mate in the talk.
Mayby you know someone living in London he can help you verify that the person in question really works/lives there with some questions.

Think about the policy for having people enter the soc.

For instance you can use the lowest level in the soc hiearchy as a probationary level. With the rule that loans of items and money to avatars in this position are at our soc mates his/her own risk.

Also requiering an sponsor who already is in the soc for people to get in is a good way. People are carefull to put up their reputation for someone they hardly know so this forces the sponsor to investigate and learn to know the avatar in question. Most scammers do not have the patience for being a probationary member for a month. And if they choose to be only online for 2 or 3 times for that probationary month you can always say that they are not an active enough member and thus of no use to the society as a community. But be honest and tell the people that they are on probation and what the consequences are from this.

Also ask around in the soc if someone has problems with the person (and his/her background) in question. And if they do ask for clarification. This can prevent personal problems between people in the soc from occuring.

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

OK, this guy has me on friends list, god knows ho, and recently started talking to me in french... god knows how he remembered i was frnehc, prolly wrote it down. He asked several times where i was, when i asked why he minds, he says "just like that"... then he started begging. Now that i see this thread i know what to reply next time : "Go away scammer". I could already tell he was shady... Now i don't need more. Blacklisted as far as i'm concerned.
+rep for bringing that name here

NetStalker said:

Regards,

Stalker, don't be too harsh. This thread allowed me to confirm what i thought of this avatar, so it's not that useless after all, and next time i can tell him he's busted. Maybe i can even try to track him and have MA ban him... Now, he's on my list of people to pk as well.

Tauro said:
Look out for KYLE KYLE TUROWSKY. He is a Soc Scammer. Joins Socs and strips a few PEDs and then moves on to infect other Socs.

Just think about this.... that guy has got himself a bad reputation for stealing a few PED from another player. Let's say he got 5 PED... That is only 50 cents(!!!) in real life. Who in their right mind :dunce: would even bother to scam someone for a few cents. UNBELIEVABLE!!! :confused:

Unbelievable, maybe, but frequent, for sure...

rhogenbe said:
- Where are you from in RL? (If he is from another country then most of your soc ask him why he would not prefer to enter a soc with fellow countryman?)

Not sure why you think this should ring a warning bell? The soc I'm a member of has a very varied mix of nationalities - and I love having it that way! Getting to know other countries and cultures will enrich your life! :)

NetStalker said:
lol! :D

Well, I think what both parts said on the subject have their part of truth.

When you think about it, what does a children do when you steal his chuppa-choops?
He goes cry to his mummy :D "another great comparition of me"

Now if you keep on stealing the chuppa-choops, you will get... lotta chuppa-choops.

What is the problem here? It is immoral. No matter how much you steal, you steal.
But sorry a murdering can't be compared with... chuppa-choops (1$USD) :D

I'm not saying we're gonna cut the stealing hand, no we aren't in the XII centuries, but generally when a kiddo steals to another kiddo, what he shall receive is a big slap in the face from his parents and the other get his belongins back :D

Obviously, MA (mommy!) won't deliver any big slap in the face (ban/lock), nor will get his belongins back (see EULA §73, line34, underlined part2, blablabla... "you have to be as careful as in real life").

Now 'bout posting it here? Sure can help your mental commotionals, but can't help getting your sugar back I'm affraid.

He will get known? Well, except if he has a SCNS syndrom (Slow Connectivity Neuronal System) he will do a new avatar, and get the ball rollin'!

If every little kiddo whom got stealed his chuppa-choops in the world would cry, I'd have a headache. :spam:

Back