Loot sizes and such

Do Young mobs represent the best value for your hunting PED?

• Don't know.

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Yes. Overall, you're better off hunting Young creatures.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Yes, but only if you take into account the relatively small amount of ammo per Young mob.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • No, but the risk factor (decay and ammo used) are offset by bigger drops.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • No. Go big or go home.

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • I have to collect Vibrant Sweat while hunting to make any profit.

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spoofman

Guardian
Society
SPU - Smart Professionals United
Spoofman Supernova
OK, here are my observations from recent hunts, with some background.

1) I'm hunting on Atlas Island, focusing on Daikibas, Snables, and Exosaurus, none of which are more powerful than Old (mostly Young, some Mature, only a few Old).

2) Wearing plain old Pixie armor, using Opale unamped.

Put simply, I'm getting my best looting results from Young creatures. Not necessarily the biggest loots, but definitely the best from a cost-benefit point of view. Max loot from any one creature has been about 5 PEDs worth of stuff.

Having said that... I'm shooting many, many more Young creatures than Mature or Old, so perhaps my loots would be greater if I hunted the same number of Mature or Olds in order to get a similar sample size. However, they do spawn less where I hunt AND I'm not using a FAP. :) However, I've only gotten one semi-decent loot from either a Mature or Old (normally Daikibas) and this seems to be somewhat consistent with my entire hunting history. Maybe the older creatures tend to drop less frequently, but drop better on average. I dunno.

Another thing: there should be no causal relationship for this, but it seemed lately like my loots were somewhat bigger when I sweated the animals before I killed them.

So, anybody else seeing anything similar?

:)

I honestly don't know.

I hunt the same area/mobs and have noticed this too. The larger mobs cost me more to kill, but the loot is the same as younger mobs. So I go out to LA25, I think it is, and shoot big exosaurs. Major outlay of money and time, and I get the same loots as if I were fighting Young. I'm still fairly new to all this, but it seems like loot isn't dependant on age, which doesn't seem very fair.

I've gotten two mob globals and they were both on Young mobs, and I'm only closing in on 1600 rifle.

But honestly, I really don't know. :confused:

I have noticed something similar to this,,,I dont hunt alot of higher maturity mobs, but those I do, it seems that I get better total ped amount of loot from the younger maturies even before adding in the fap or armor decay,,,or lack there of with the smaller mobs. Note they might loot small amounts per mob, but it seems the loot frequency is better than with higher maturities, therefore the total amount on average seems noticeably better.

Loot is based on HP of mob. Maturity is irelevant.
(speaking purely in tt value of loot, of course ;) )

As the maturity grows, the frequency/size curve is more abrupt, making very big creatures less likely to loot, but with higher loot sizes on higher loots.

Basically hunting only youngs will give you best results, but if you want items, you have more chances at older mobs.

Darkfire, can you give some examples of loot size correlating to the HP of the mob?

Darkfire, can you give some examples of loot size correlating to the HP of the mob?

Kill small snable for a while. then kill fx argos. the difference is obvious, and shows with all mobs/maturities :)
another way that loot is tied to HP of mob is that mobs with 800+ HP 'always' have loot, though it's slightly smaller than average loot/HP for smaller HP mobs to balance this out.

Try making a chart of various mobs, their HP, and their normal loot (excluding minis, globals and hofs, that is). note minimum tt value of loots (ignore no loots) and the maximum tt value of loots (ignore minis and bigger). You'll see the trend :)

...well I noticed same things lately, since started to skill LB...
...average loot is much higher for low level mobs...
..I had 4 hunts using 3 Castorian Enblade A everytime.. after calculating armor and fap decay and weapon cost, my losses were about 1-2 peds for each hunt. I used as armor only shogun harness and thigh guards, for lowering decay costs, but still having some protection. I used fap 5 and fap 28 (for emergencies :p)
...I hunted young (mostly), mature (some) and old (few) exarosaurus, daikibas and snables... Every hunt I got at least 1 nice item (10-11 peds worth like fap28, medium nerve blast chip, etc)
... finally with just 7-8 peds losses I got about 600 LB and a lot of other skills (including evade)... and I keep my chance to break even with a global or... something...:D
...so IMHO this would be the most eco way to skill up and yes, low level mobs seems to loot a lil better...

Hi Spoofman,

I run a spreadsheet of loots I get on hunting trips. If you take an adjusted average of loot (total kills divided by total loot, ignoring the highest and lowest sample)
and divide by the HP of the mob you get a average loot per HP value. I have plotted some of these values and they seem to show a linear line of just over 0.3 pec per HP.
This is actualy a worst case scenario as I have taken all items at tt value and the true average including all high value loots is much higher.

edit - uploaded chart

Woody

Hi Spoofman,

I run a spreadsheet of loots I get on hunting trips. If you take an adjusted average of loot (total kills divided by total loot, ignoring the highest and lowest sample)
and divide by the HP of the mob you get a average loot per HP value. I have plotted some of these values and they seem to show a linear line of just over 0.3 pec per HP.
This is actualy a worst case scenario as I have taken all items at tt value and the true average including all high value loots is much higher.

edit - uploaded chart

Woody

Interesting chart, try this:

one mob species only, average loot for each maturity, graph.

See if it's still linear. And if it is, do a distribution chart overlapping each for loot/hp sizes.

And what about that 3pec/hp, is it over 3 pec, 3.33 or somewhere inbetween?

Interesting chart, try this:

one mob species only, average loot for each maturity, graph.

See if it's still linear. And if it is, do a distribution chart overlapping each for loot/hp sizes.

And what about that 3pec/hp, is it over 3 pec, 3.33 or somewhere inbetween?

Having a look at my numbers it is probably not too accurate to do an individual mob chart as at best I only have 4 maturities on some mobs as I generally only start taking the numbers seriously after 100 samples. This would give a pretty wild chart in some cases ie.

Combibo - young 0.23 pec/hp, mature 0.32 pec/hp, old 0.51 pec/hp, provider 0.21 pec/hp
Berycled - young 0.29 pec/hp, mature 0.27 pec/hp, old 0.39 pec/hp, provider 0.72 pec/hp
Argonaut - young 0.34 pec/hp, adult 0.33 pec/hp, scout 0.33 pec/hp, gatherer 0.27 pec/hp
Foul - young 0.32 pec/hp, adult 0.22 pec/hp, scout 0.21 pec/hp, gatherer 0.35 pec/hp

This is why I averaged out mobs with the same hp in my original chart. The more samples I get the more it seems to settle around the 0.33 mark, although my biggest sample (Drone 01, over 500 samples) has stayed at 0.35 for months.

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by the second part of your request, but I will add a distribution chart in the next hour probably as a new thread as this is going to generate a lot of discussion:D

Pecker (Woody)

MA states somewhere that any mob can drop anything.

Its just the chances that "change" or rather "randomly hop around a mob".

So, good luck hunting Maffoid Warlords and seeing other global on the Outcasts...you had the bigger chance though...

Combibo - young 0.23 pec/hp, mature 0.32 pec/hp, old 0.51 pec/hp, provider 0.21 pec/hp
Berycled - young 0.29 pec/hp, mature 0.27 pec/hp, old 0.39 pec/hp, provider 0.72 pec/hp
Argonaut - young 0.34 pec/hp, adult 0.33 pec/hp, scout 0.33 pec/hp, gatherer 0.27 pec/hp
Foul - young 0.32 pec/hp, adult 0.22 pec/hp, scout 0.21 pec/hp, gatherer 0.35 pec/hp

Well MA is fooling us on the average loot thingie... but

Let's take the following case for a series of loots on a mob species, two maturities.

Young 100hp: 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0 -- 1 - 3 - 1 - 0 - 0
Mature 140hp: 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 -- 0 - 0 - 2 - 10 - 0

Theoretically we get 0.1 PED/hp but if we were to stop hunting the Mature mob before the 8th loot, we would be in considerable loss. The distribtion would look like this:

Young
0 - 5
1 - 3
2 - 1
3 - 1

Mature
0 - 6
1 - 2
2 - 1
3 - 0
10 - 1

It depends what im hunting, If im hunting Trox i like Old-Dom's Trax are Guards-OA However with some mobs like Ambulis i prefer to go with the Young - Old as i seem to bet better loots of them then any other maturity

MA states somewhere that any mob can drop anything.

Its just the chances that "change" or rather "randomly hop around a mob".

So, good luck hunting Maffoid Warlords and seeing other global on the Outcasts...you had the bigger chance though...

yes, MA also said once a mob drops that item, that item is never removed from the loot (of course the drop rate of item may take a long time).

I'm not so ambitious as to track hundreds of loots from several series of hunts as some have. However I do think, to an extent, you are onto something. The only thing I have tracked are my globals. I know we're talking about regular loot, however, my list of globals gives a glimpse into the profit ratio vs. cost to kill the mobs. In my personal history, I have a 93 PED global from a male snable young and a bery mature global worth 89 PED (two closest loot values in my list). Considering I kill the snable in 1 or 2 shots and I kill the bery in 8-9 shots with the same weapon, it can easily be seen that the % of profit from the snable is easily 4 times the % of profit from the bery. In addition, I noticed that I have two daikiba globals in the list. One is a 59 PED Provider (my first global :) ) and the other is a 152 PED young. Again this shows quite a difference. It's only a very small observation that doesn't necessarily dictate a pattern, but it does lend a touch of support to your concepts.

The other thing I consider is the mob and the loot. Take molisk as an example. If I decide I want to gather teeth, considering the wonderful mark up they have, it doesn't make any difference what maturity I kill. If I loot teeth I'm going to get 4 teeth no matter what. It would make more sense to spend less by killing lower maturities for those teeth than it would to kill the higher maturities.

I do agree, overall, that what really makes a difference is the items. I do get more interesting stuff more frequently from higher maturities. However, I also think that no matter what the numbers dictate on your chances at loot, if your in a very lucky moment anything can happen. ;)

Hugs,
Aliana

Back