Making Mayhem of Merriment

Karmic

Stalker
Society
Agents of Entropy
Karmic Karmic Nature
The plan looked so good on paper. Get two or possibly even three groups going, win cat 3, get a couple more armguards from the other groups, maybe even a set of armor from a second team in the top 3. This was the first merry Mayhem I was participating in directly, friends had joined support teams in the past but now that I am in a society capable of doing events like this I was exited to join. But, I knew I was going to miss the first day and a half to two days, even though Merry Mayhem is grand, family comes first.

Thanks to the beauty of smartphones I was able to keep up on the news. Mayhem and Land Grabs, it seems, are hard on societies, even before it began there were rumors of new people joining and some old people leaving. This blog is not meant for politics so I will leave the juice out (sorry desperate houswives fans) but "friendly" competition probably isn't the way to describe Merry Mayhem. Our three teams dropped to two and I started to wonder if I had overinvested in Apis before the event.

The first text i saw on my screen when I logged in two days late was "Log out and get in vent, we may need you as a shooter on a second team!" After a short conversation outside of the game it was quickly determined that no, that is probably not the path to victory, so it was back to the game and into the crater I go.

Much has been made of the spawn locations, I know our team had attempted to hunt elsewhere in the first day with limited success, once they got into the crater, however, it became clear that any team with a chance to win would need to be stationed there. This is where I learned what the Mayhem part of the event meant.

From that point on, sleep occurred only when it was likely that we wouldn't have a team going. There was a constant supply of eviscerator, mobs were called out and the team acted in a well organized manner for most of the hunting. My apis would burn out quickly but people were handing out ML-35's like candy when they logged out to keep the shooting going. It was good, but a little scary to see items like that handed around after seeing a lot of the high profile problems with item lending, but in the end everything made it back to their owners.

The scip team didn't work out so well. It was much smaller, and the spawns were much weaker as well. We tried Oshi and probably a few other places that I wasn't a part of, but the team numbers never really came together. I was quite sad to see that team break up, but after talking to UU members at the end of Mayhem, it was probably not going to work out for us anyway. Their idea of a long sleep during MM was about 3 hours or so. Still, we should have been able to pull a top10 finish so I was sorry to see it go.

The main shooter in mayhem can only be logged on for 30 hours during the event. Everyone else, however, ends up being logged on for quite a bit more than that. Despite missing the first nearly 2 days, I ended up disqualified from the contest for going over 30 (but only 15 of those were actually when the main shooter was going). There was a lot of logging in and out, checking the spawn and teams around, and some fighting for position.

The actual fights for spawn were a lot less than I would have expected from events in other games. Probably, wasted time fighting for a spawn with your main shooters logged out is just too high, fighting for a spawn with your main shooter logged in is suicide. Training mobs on a good team isn't useful either, you just save them the trouble of pulling, that leaves annoying people with VTOL's by landing in the middle of the team and blocking shots which happend a bit, training mobs away, which I heard happened a few times, but didn't personally see much of, and spawn "stealing". There was a bit of tense negotiation over the spawn at the very end of our time, everyone was keeping their point totals secret, had we really known what the scores were by then there would have been no reason to argue about it, the places had already been determined. But, as it turned out the other team allowed us to finish cleanly so we could log off and leave them to theirs.

In the end, UU took first in categories 3 and 4 by a wide margin. We took second in Catagory 3 and ended well ahead of third place. The third place team was not a team we had expected to be there, the teams we were worried about landed outside the top3.

From a ped standpoint it was impossible for me to keep accurate records, the event just moved too fast. I do record the TT value of my character each month so i could see that the monthly hit wasn't too bad, though I had done quite well in the beginning of the month. Once all of the prizes are sold and split I think I will end up ahead nicely though with that much effort put in and no Land Area to show for it I think some of the people who were on longer may have fallen behind. There were no really big loots for any team on eviscerator during the event, I hope some of the non-participants had good loot to make up for it.

There were the usual discussions before, during, and after the event about how MA should try and make it a solo event. I disagree, there are precious few events right now that a society can really get together for. This is one of them and I really have to hand it to cK. Even though we didn't win the top prize I think we really pulled together nicely and those that organized it did a great job. With all the craziness going on the final time for our main shooter was 29h54m, we had planned for a 5 minute safety and pretty much nailed it.

Back