MA's failuers so far with vu 10 and 711's ;)

Legion

Marauder
Society
Supremacy Reign
Iam Flatline Legion
As we always get a bit of bashing on MA i thought i would start for once ;)
They are getting better though but the first bug this time was a major one though as almost EVERYONE has it, baaad baaaad MA :silly2::laugh:

MA's errors so far.

Failed with the patch and the c++ redistributable.
The faq? where is it marco??? ;P
communication (but i guess they are a bit busy) ;P

That's about it so far.

On to 711's single failure so far, not a major one just an annoying one.

Failed to put the bug solutions on the frontpage!!! In RED BOLD text pretty plx the forum is still being bombarded with new threads :p

Efd farming ftw ;P

Last edited:
MA's errors so far.

c++ redistributable.

If you read the page of the distributable, you would see it says you should install this with windows update. But, itsn't available through windows update. So, this is in fact microsofts fault.

Don't you think communication is lacking once again? I mean, we are still left in the dark as to when the game will be up. No news for 16 hours...

I mean, they don't have to tell us anything, but they keep saying that they will improve communication, yet they can't take 30 seconds and give a quick update?

Not that i really care because i am at work, but i think lots of people would appreciate small and frequent updates.

711 also managed to fix a mirror download, which was way faster for me then the torrent. (Legion's mirror was first but unfortunately removed)

If you read the page of the distributable, you would see it says you should install this with windows update. But, itsn't available through windows update. So, this is in fact microsofts fault.

MA should have forseen this and this had to come out of their testing procedures. And if needed include it in the installation procedure. (afaik every 64 bit OS run into this problem.)

When a new player with no IT knowledge download and install it, and he gets this error, he will just uninstall it again, and try another game.

MA, ... use include please...

Please, for 10.1, or maybe even 10.05, let's add an include header in to one of your C++ files so that the redistributable C++ stuff in included in the EU installer itself! It should be easy... I think. I haven't done much programming for a long time, but I think, uh, Microsoft makes that stuff "redistributable" so that you CAN redistribute it, not force your player base to try to find it themselves.

I was still having trouble installing the redistributable early this morning. I have not tried it this afternoon yet. I'll try again tonight and keep trying til I get it figured out. There is some issues with installing x32 stuff on x64 computers. It would have been much cleaner if the needed files were already included in your installer.

When a new player with no IT knowledge download and install it, and he gets this error, he will just uninstall it again, and try another game.

If that was the case, then they may as well go play on consoles because it's not always the Game but the OS that is to blame. So many times has Windows screwed up that I've had to clean install just to get a game working because something in Windows has broken.

The problem people keep going on about isn't as bad as they keep going on about.

Wait, what?!

Microsoft does not provide this via WU, so somehow it's their fault that MindArk used the hidden from sight framework to build their software but forgot that clients need it too?!

Not true actually, yes it's provided by ms too, but it should if your a good dev always always ALWAYS have those redistributable files in your setups, just in case a user does not have them. (our coders in our game dev project in school made the same fubar though :D)

Don't you think communication is lacking once again? I mean, we are still left in the dark as to when the game will be up. No news for 16 hours...

I mean, they don't have to tell us anything, but they keep saying that they will improve communication, yet they can't take 30 seconds and give a quick update?

Not that i really care because i am at work, but i think lots of people would appreciate small and frequent updates.

added ;P

Not true actually, yes it's provided by ms too, but it should if your a good dev always always ALWAYS have those redistributable files in your setups, just in case a user does not have them. (our coders in our game dev project in school made the same fubar though :D)

added ;P

Those files are in the VU10 install.

what are you all talking about, Legion has hit the point and did it in the most kind words possible.

I dont want to read their talking, this time i want to see facts!

MA's errors so far.

Failed with the patch and the c++ redistributable.
The faq? where is it marco??? ;P
communication (but i guess they are a bit busy) ;P

Thnx for your effort to help people due to all mixed threads, im one of the mixers, sorry for that *lol* and Thnx again for a good job.

HAVEATHNX!!

Valand

On to 711's single failure so far, not a major one just an annoying one.

I copied your very helpful troubleshooting thread into the second post of the front page article written by Skam, in order to give it high visibility.

I also stickied your thread in the Technical forum, where most members look for solutions to issues like this.

I also included multiple links to your thread in the VU10.0 Client EF Mirror thread, including a very prominent link in the second post with instructions on how to install the new client.

And yet you say I am a failure? :dunno:

I copied your very helpful troubleshooting thread into the second post of the front page article written by Skam, in order to give it high visibility.

I also stickied your thread in the Technical forum, where most members look for solutions to issues like this.

I also included multiple links to your thread in the VU10.0 Client EF Mirror thread, also in the second post along with instructions on how to install the new client.

And yet you say I am a failure? :dunno:

hehe i know you did, but you know forum users. they are blind. unless you plaster it on their face :p

i aggree

i aggree it has ben over 16 hours they could atleast tike a little time to let us know what is going on and where they stand with the progress of getting the game back up and running

what are you all talking about, Legion has hit the point and did it in the most kind words possible.

I dont want to read their talking, this time i want to see facts!

Yes, there is a bug in the install, but the C++ 2005 files are in the install that was downloaded from Torrent.

I uninstalled all of VU9.4, the VU10 I had installed and all my 2005 C++ redistributable files I had in Add/Remove programs.

Rerun the VU10 setup and it prompts to update my C++ 2005 files as they are out of date. The install completes and the Client Loader works perfectly fine. So yes, the C++ files are in there, but what I believe people are doing, is installing VU10 alongside VU9.4 because everyone was still on last night and this was giving the error about the alongside.

Me, because it's such a major install, decided to uninstall the lot, because I don't trust most of what MS release, and this C++ 2005 stuff and even the .Net software I don't trust either. If you are always unsure, uninstall and do a clean install.

What is everyone still complaining for??

but not working.

Yes, they are. I had the error everyone is going on about, but for the 100th time, uninstall everything and just rerun the VU10 from a clean install with no 2005 C++ files installed. It then prompts to update and runs fine.

My Client loader now works without this error occuring and I'm running Windows 7 RC on 64bit Quad Core.

this about says it for me too, they dont even need to give a set time but a guestimate would be nice then we wouldnt have to sit in front of our pc's all day wondering if it will be in the next 15 minutes.

hehe i know you did, but you know forum users. they are blind. unless you plaster it on their face :p

And many members never view the EF frontpage: a large number of members have the main forum index or UserCP bookmarked, rather than the front page.

Thus, posting a fix in big red letters on the EF front page would not be nearly as successful at preventing redundant 'Help me!! Error!!" threads as you seem to believe.

Also, as Numa has pointed out, if you install the VU10.0 client as a new install (as new participants would), or after first uninstalling the old client, no error is encountered.

after reinstal the windows it works ok, any way i needed this fresh windows :)

hope they come out whit some ETA, too.

And many members never view the EF frontpage (a large number have the main forum index or UserCP bookmarked, rather than the front page.

Thus, posting a fix in big red letters on the EF front page would not be nearly as successful at preventing redundant 'Help me!! Error!!" threads as you seem to believe.

Also, as Numa has pointed out, if you install the VU10.0 client as a new install (as new participants would), or after first uninstalling the old client, no error is encountered.

Uninstalling the C++ 2005 files as well helps, as had untold troubles with those files every now and then.

Those files are in the VU10 install.

Yep, they are!
Last night I did go and install 'em from microsoft site. Some 2 hrs ago I installed the new VU 10.0 client ... I was surprised to get an early notice of C++ redistr files "beeing too old" and had to agree on installer providing me with newer ones.

Now I cannot really say if the C++ files were always linked to the VU 10.0 installer or if MA had it's programmers tweak stuff, but they sure were fast :)

If that was the case, then they may as well go play on consoles because it's not always the Game but the OS that is to blame. So many times has Windows screwed up that I've had to clean install just to get a game working because something in Windows has broken.

The problem people keep going on about isn't as bad as they keep going on about.

I never ever had to reïnstall windows to get an application working.

In this case it even don't work on a clean install.
But in this case MA could easely forsee this by just testing it themselves.
Or at least make sure the person gets a usefull message that he has to install something else to get it working.

So what did I do wrong???? Everything worked perfectly for me......:D

Unless I read it too fast, MA/FPC announced that the client was available to download and at the same time announced that the servers would be down until VU10 is ready. Which to me means that it is useless to try to connect until we get the all green from Marco.

The errors we are seeing only appear when you try to launch the application.

I have criticized MA's communication efforts in the past, but in this case I think they are doing well.

They announced the end of 9.4 along with a detailed list of things to expect in VU10 and the client made available to download in the span of a few days.

The servers went down today, give them a small chance at least to get it ready for us to log in. Now that the EU as we knew it is technically dead, it is MA's and FPC's best interest to get it up and running ASAP.

I am sure their final testing will reveal all the problems we are having in trying to launch the client (even though it makes no sense to do so) and they will handle it appropriately. VU10 is only the first step in a serious of updates that you can expect over the next days and weeks following the official launch.

Will a couple of days more patience really matter? Not to me.

Cheers :beerchug:

Yes, there is a bug in the install, but the C++ 2005 files are in the install that was downloaded from Torrent.

I uninstalled all of VU9.4, the VU10 I had installed and all my 2005 C++ redistributable files I had in Add/Remove programs.

Rerun the VU10 setup and it prompts to update my C++ 2005 files as they are out of date. The install completes and the Client Loader works perfectly fine. So yes, the C++ files are in there, but what I believe people are doing, is installing VU10 alongside VU9.4 because everyone was still on last night and this was giving the error about the alongside.

Me, because it's such a major install, decided to uninstall the lot, because I don't trust most of what MS release, and this C++ 2005 stuff and even the .Net software I don't trust either. If you are always unsure, uninstall and do a clean install.

What is everyone still complaining for??

well still, a normal user wouldnt know to uninstall those files, except the game files. in which the install will fail anyway, ie MA's fault.

Threads and posts made in General Discussion do not earn any EFDs :wise:

darn i knew something was wrong ;P

Yes, they are. I had the error everyone is going on about, but for the 100th time, uninstall everything and just rerun the VU10 from a clean install with no 2005 C++ files installed. It then prompts to update and runs fine.

My Client loader now works without this error occuring and I'm running Windows 7 RC on 64bit Quad Core.

see above

Yep, they are!
Last night I did go and install 'em from microsoft site. Some 2 hrs ago I installed the new VU 10.0 client ... I was surprised to get an early notice of C++ redistr files "beeing too old" and had to agree on installer providing me with newer ones.

Now I cannot really say if the C++ files were always linked to the VU 10.0 installer or if MA had it's programmers tweak stuff, but they sure were fast :)

It's definitely part of the install process as the firewall would prompt for access to the internet if MA had somehow requested access to my computer to do an update.

well still, a normal user wouldnt know to uninstall those files, except the game files. in which the install will fail anyway, ie MA's fault.
see above

New users won't have a problem, older users will know how to fix the problem, or at least have some idea on where to look for a solution.

Tech savvy people will have an idea of what to do as well.

The only people that will have a challenge are those that are not tech Savvy, but if they are internet savvy, they will know where to look for a solution and who to ask for help. EF has a good reputation, and many people point towards it for help and guidance.

As such, it's an oversight on MA's part, but I wouldn't exactly say it's there fault. After all, how many people last night installed VU10 alongside VU9.4, when in all honesty this wasn't meant to be the case, but to run the setup and then uninstall VU9.4 as part of the process.

For all we know, it's quite possibly the C++ 2005 part of the install that doesn't work properly and nothing to do with MA, but Microsofts poor coding. We all know how reliable MS can be at times.

Back