Question: Mindark Community Manager

People have been asking for many years why there is no offical forum. i dont think we ever had a answer... Too much Moderator work lol?

There used to be an official forum years ago, but I heard it was shut down due to massive, excessive whining/flaming and lack of constructiveness? :scratch2:

I prefer silence over loose estimates about something that's maybe going to happen. Community manager should have other (better in a long term) things to do and if she does, I see basis for the salary. :beerchug:

The community manger, IMO, is a sales account manager for all of us, making Hanne the interface between the customer and the business

If I'm totally honest, thats not what I'm seeing. Yeah she's helping and responding to a few threads, but the communication that was expected isn't there.

Maybe we expect too much ? Maybe she is being harnessed by FPC on what she can and can't do. The only thing I'm sure of, only Hanne can tell you whether she is meeting the job deliverables that have been put on her by FPC

So MA is only responsible for the Platform.

This means FPC is the company that is responsible for the game we play.
Hanne is so far doing a better job then the previous people trying to communicate with us. The thing is the communication still feel random and is (not yet) contributing to get a better client satisfaction.

I think the community manager should play a great role in keeping the players happy. The game is changing but normally one would think that the changes would be aimed at increasing the value for money experience the players have. Most players need to deposit to play. For most it is no issue to do this and they are willing to. But if they keep getting the feeling that thay are screwed over the value for money experience will be declining fast. And this results in paying customers to turn their back to the game. Something that no company should aim to do especially since there are no real new customers to take the spot.

For example some things that piss players of (some already named in previous posts):
- loss of part of the skill gains due to DC or logoff
- the fact there is no clear purpose to the lasers/scopes and most of us have been using them for years
- the loss of great hunting spawns with the introduction of VU10
- the massive amount of hills/mountains in VU10 and the problems climbing them
- unable to run away from even the smallest mobs where pre VU10 you could do that
- the impossability to tier unique items
- why is the community still the alpha tester
- status of the missing things like Mindforce/Taming

On the other side some new content shows some promise:
- The missions
- Enhancers

The community manager should pick up on the sounds from the community and although mayby not being able to give a direct answer there can at least come some clarification that it is being worked upon and keeping the community updated that it is still work in progress or that the first tests are being done. (naming ETA's to far away is to dangerous) But give some feeling that something is really being done about things. MA is a big black box were people hope somethings comes out of that is good. And although they have some vision they always seem to have great difficulty to change that vision in something that works good and is enjoyed by the players.

One would think by now they would know that in the EU player base there is an above average percentage of IT experienced people. Especially those know how difficult some things can be but those also know that if they would try the same tactics at their job they would get fired. Sloppy software design/programming/version control is frowned upon.

I hope Hanne will get into this discussion at the very least to clarify what we can and can't expect from her and FPC.

Cheers
Siam

The question is rather, now that FPC has a community manager.... what's happening to the MA community manager ? Do they not need one ?

Since Marco moved to FPC I have not really seen any MA officials on this forum anymore...

Hanne is so far doing a better job then the previous people trying to communicate with us. The thing is the communication still feel random and is (not yet) contributing to get a better client satisfaction.

Well it wasn't that long ago that she started a thread asking for feedback about the newsletter: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/general-discussion/185505-newsletter-revamping-progress.html

So I guess that she might be working on improving this?

The question is rather, now that FPC has a community manager.... what's happening to the MA community manager ? Do they not need one ?

Since Marco moved to FPC I have not really seen any MA officials on this forum anymore...
Ask Nighthawk.

i feel hanne is the same way as marco used to be and how support works to me.

doesnt feel to me they are helping but talking in riddles without giving any Real answers

like why is said: "as the hungry hatchlings will discover the world they’re born into – and what lunch it can provide."

http://www.entropiagateway.com/2010/04/hiryuu-hatchling-season/

its all about giving wrong answers to keep us in the dark :)

a good post about community managers.
http://www.aimclearblog.com/2009/04/05/social-media-community-manager-job-description/

http://conniebensen.com/2008/07/17/community-manager-job-description/

http://conniebensen.com/2009/02/28/community-manager-responsibilities-and-goals/

The above two are very good descriptions of what a community manager should be doing.

She says, “Hire someone who is addicted to the conversation and will be around on the weekends to approve comments, continue discussions and put out fires when needed. 9 to 5’ers need not apply. Make sure they have a thick skin. When you’re managing a community, attacks will come and someone will always have a problem with what you’re doing.

Community Manager Job Description
Do you tweet and use Facebook every day, all day? Is building social community so ingrained you just can’t stop? Do you take pride in customer service excellence and fancy yourself an entrepreneur? Do you understand the difference between a “brochure website,” a “publication” and why feeds are important?

We seek a highly a motivated individual with experience and fanatical passion for blogging, micro-blogging and community participation leadership. This position is full time salaried with benefits, including attending mainstream and niche’ conferences.

I think she had great plans and started of with how it should work.

Without knowing the exact internal organisation I think she is a "victim" of the way the internal flow works and had to adapt to the "daily routine, procedures & processes" alive at FPC. This changed her "visible" behaviour on the forum.

My 2 cent,

Atami

PS : Which doesn't mean she isn't doing a great job ;)

Ask Nighthawk.

Well since I actually read what MA/FPC has to say on this forum I can answer: MindArk does not currently have any community manager.

Btw, Tosi, stop being a troll, its quite immature.

Well, like mentioned before, I'm not MindArk CM, Im FPC's CM. I know a lot of players have problems seing the difference between the two companies, and I know that many think there is no difference except on the surface. Personally, I didn't think there were that divided either, back when I was a player myself. I know it can be confusing,
Coming to FPC and working here have showed me that there is a most definite difference. We're two different companies with different responsibilities.

What company have what responsibility? I wrote a little about it here:
http://www.entropiagateway.com/2010/02/first-planet-company-and-mindark-who-does-what/

Ask me about missions, graphics, storyline or what you wish to see of communication between FPC and the community and Ill be happy to reply. :)

Some of the work I do include the Gateway, doing some work on our website, planning future communication methods, newsletter, being in-game, being available for FPC to talk to about the community, being available for you to talk to about FPC.

I answer a lot of PM's every day (and mails!), and if there's anything important you think I've missed, then just PM me. I won't bite. Om nom nom nom :saint:

I'm just getting into my third month in this position. Everything is still pretty new. I can take constructive criticism and I'll work on it, I'll take wishes and I'll consider them, but please do remember I am only one person in this position and I don't have superpowers ;)

I have noticed the Community Managers often have a lot in common with professors at Hogwarts that teach Defense against the Dark Arts and drummers from rock bands.

I think the position is cursed!

So THATS why my hand keeps spontaneously combusting.

I'm not MindArk CM, Im FPC's CM.
So, uh, who is or is planned on becoming MindArk's CM?!?... Seems like there should be one? Maybe there can be one for each planet too (guessing Neverdie is already playing that role, to some extent, but can't officially say that he is since he still wants to "play" the game)

First Planet Company: Planet Partner and developer of Planet Calypso. Responsible for design and gameplay issues such as usability, design flaws, busted graphic models and textures. Also responsible for events and Calypso storyline.
I have not been "up the hill" in a while, but you might want to look in this "busted graphic," if it has not been fixed yet:
beta2.jpg

Actually, all the buildings in Omegaton could use some upgrades... The mushroom in Delta is ok since it's kinda cute, but the overgrown bushes in other buildings is a bit annoying... Similarly, it seems like there's a lot of "unused space" - lots of shops that have no estate terminals, lots of booths that still have estate broker's name on them, etc. Releasing all of that as new estates on auction with start bid of +1 might be a good idea! ;)

Along that line... something else I'd like an answer to that no one seems to ever answer in PMs to FPC or in support tickets - what happens to the taxes at Omegaton, Genesis, etc... you know, the LA's that have taxes, but are not participant owned? Any chance you could pool that stuff up for some sort of special use? Maybe have estate owners vote on how to use it or something - reimplement the voting booths, etc.

Last edited:
Well, like mentioned before, I'm not MindArk CM, Im FPC's CM. I know a lot of players have problems seing the difference between the two companies, and I know that many think there is no difference except on the surface. Personally, I didn't think there were that divided either, back when I was a player myself. I know it can be confusing,
Coming to FPC and working here have showed me that there is a most definite difference. We're two different companies with different responsibilities.

What company have what responsibility? I wrote a little about it here:
http://www.entropiagateway.com/2010/02/first-planet-company-and-mindark-who-does-what/

Ask me about missions, graphics, storyline or what you wish to see of communication between FPC and the community and Ill be happy to reply. :)

Some of the work I do include the Gateway, doing some work on our website, planning future communication methods, newsletter, being in-game, being available for FPC to talk to about the community, being available for you to talk to about FPC.

I answer a lot of PM's every day (and mails!), and if there's anything important you think I've missed, then just PM me. I won't bite. Om nom nom nom :saint:

I'm just getting into my third month in this position. Everything is still pretty new. I can take constructive criticism and I'll work on it, I'll take wishes and I'll consider them, but please do remember I am only one person in this position and I don't have superpowers ;)

So THATS why my hand keeps spontaneously combusting.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you know if there is any Community Manager inside Mindark?. And is it possible you can request someone to take participation from whatever department that can go in and comment on these discoveries we find throughout the game that is kept in the dark in copy & pasted support answers and silence from any Mindark officials on the forum

So, uh, who is or is planned on becoming MindArk's CM?!?... Seems like there should be one? Maybe there can be one for each planet too (guessing Neverdie is already playing that role, to some extent, but can't officially say that he is since he still wants to "play" the game)

For technical questions we have the support case system.
Beyond that I pretty much doubt a community manager by MA is needed.

And the community relations will be one of the areas in which I believe the planets will compete.
I can pretty much see a lot of players deciding to become resident on one or the other planet simply because they feel to be taken more serious or well treated there.

The support section is pretty much their gateway to the community, like Pirx said.

However when there are critical issues relating to the platform and not FPC, it is of course fine to talk to me about it. I'll listen, and I can forward the pleas to MindArk, dig for information, but its not always I can get any definite answer back to you.

mastermesh; Ill have to check but I am believe those issues have already been resolved :)

Hanne, just take a humble suggestion.

A community manager is a interface between who USES a game and who DEVELOPES a game.

The difference between FPC and MA, even if existing and strong, is not something that a community must care at all. It's something four your direct advantage, not ours.

If your servers are down, I'll complain with you, not certainly with your internet provider, no?

We're not able to say what is MA's side and what FPC, or we don't need to, and since you're the only interface between us and the game developers, you should be able to report to the correct "slot".

Instead, I have the impression that everytime something must be forwarded to MA, there's a sort of "I'm sincerely sorry, not FPC thing, we must talk about it to MA, don't know what to say...".

Again, your position is too young and probably not yet authoritative enough.

Instead, I have the impression that everytime something must be forwarded to MA, there's a sort of "I'm sincerely sorry, not FPC thing, we must talk about it to MA, don't know what to say...".

Like mentioned, I do forward it to MindArk. I'll listen to complaints about the platform too, because thats something that we at FPC can take further to MindArk.

However I can't always give any answer back to you.

Like mentioned, I do forward it to MindArk. I'll listen to complaints about the platform too, because thats something that we at FPC can take further to MindArk.

Sure Hanne, and of course this is the hard limit of your position and the cause of many complaints - which have always existed, by the way - so far at least. This is seen from customers' point of view, of course.

Time will tell, in the meantime keep on rocking ;)

when ur talking about it anyway, plz forward to them AGAIN that we want a damn answer to those scopes and lasers. Or do i have to come knock on their door to get an actuall answer? we waited 1½ month now.

Wel not even superman become superman rightaway...

it took superman years become superman.

Even the more powerful ficitional charater cant become 100% effective from day one

How can you expect in real life someone to be like that.

I'd say give her 6 months at least :)

hmm is it 6 months yet?

oh oh it is darn close now :))))))

Back