FYI: Mindark: Not the Enemy, not your friend either.

Status
this is a joke correct. I mean really people just hand over ped like that. I dont understand how anyone would do something like that without 100% ped for item.

I feel sorry for the scammed but really in real life you would not hand someone 8k usd with nothing in return, at least a contract that could be used in court.

well I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would love to sell if anyone is interested.

Sorry for you mate.

Really sad story... also if we are talking about the person which i think we are talking about.. i was glad how that person was paying for his angel armor set and it seems that he pretty deffended himself of accusations..... another thing is "collateral" ... sad he made this mistake ... but i dont see a reason why MA should help... its practicaly unprovable... because he just accept the trade... anyway im intersted in what police will say and im wishing all the best to hopkirk !!!

One thing I can think of is that MA could make a contract system ingame. I am not sure if MA should enforce these contracts, but at least I would make legal investigations a hell lot easier.
MA should institude an escrow system, for which they should charge a fee. This would make transactions involving valuable items and large amounts of cash safe.
But it would come close to a lending facility, and we all know they don't want that.

I'd like to see the supportcase in question, cause i can't believe they told him he would have any kind of insurance in this case.
(didnt read all the pages so excuse me if it's already been posted)

As the initial post suggests otherwise, I will hereby release the reply given from Support in this case.

Hi,

There's a big chance this avatar is trying to scam you. Mindark is unable to assist you if you agree to the trade, because we have no way to actually verify foul play. Our logs will only register a normal trade.

We would like to offer you some tips to avoid similar situations in the future:
If you discover a scammer, find out as much information as possible and report it to us at the Support Dept. immediately.
Never lend items to others (unless you are prepared to take the risk).
Never agree to a deal just to get rid of an annoying participant.
When items are displayed in the trade window, check each item’s Item Info to make sure it’s the actual item you want.
Make sure that the deal you have confirmed is correctly presented in the receipt window before you accept and close the deal.

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

My only problem with this is the niggling feeling at back of my head, suppose the scammer is "connected" or actually works for MA? That would explain the lack of help given in this and all other huge scamming cases. I think if I owned MA I could create a few ava's that go around skimming profits back for me ;)

Wouldn't in-game chat be logged with matching time stamps?

If so, what's required to get them released? Letter from a Lawyer? Police Inquiry? Cort Order or "John Doe" search warrant?

i'm sorry but i wouldnt give that much money to a good friend IRL nevermind someone on the net when you THINK it could be a scam. dumb move plain and simple I have NO symphony i'm sorry. You where trying to get a deal that was to good to be true and as always it was.

A lot of the trade was done on MSN and voice phone :rolleyes:

As the initial post suggests otherwise, I will hereby release the reply given from Support in this case.

Hi,

There's a big chance this avatar is trying to scam you. Mindark is unable to assist you if you agree to the trade, because we have no way to actually verify foul play. Our logs will only register a normal trade.

If you discover a scammer, find out as much information as possible and report it to us at the Support Dept. immediately.
When items are displayed in the trade window, check each item’s Item Info to make sure it’s the actual item you want.
Make sure that the deal you have confirmed is correctly presented in the receipt window before you accept and close the deal.

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

Thanks for the info Marco. As I said before, I can only vouch for Hopkirk's identity. All the info I supplied was given to me by him.

Hi,

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

Clearly hopkirks stupid/greedy mistake then.

Hi,

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

nuff said, pretty clear cut answer from them. The fact that this person still went thru with this is proof of what a complete idiot this person is. MA flat out told you DON"T DO THIS!, yet they still did.

"A fool and his money will soon be parted"

Hilarious to me how someone could still go and do this after being told outright not to. Guess some people have more money then brains.

You can close this stupid thread now, MA has provided all the information needed to see how stupid this person was.

Hi,

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support
So Hop knew there was a good chance that he would be scammed.
Why did he go through with it?

My guess is greed. Seems to me that he took a calculated risk... And lost.
(Completely unfounded guess on my part ofc, since I don't know the details, but it's still my guess)

He was willing to risk his money, probably lured by promises of a substantial reward/profit if he helped get the pawned imp fap back.

I don't see why MA should be blamed. :scratch2:

But anyway... Here in Denmark, it is illegal to scam people. If it is at all possible, this matter should be taken to the police, and I'm sure MA will coorperate with the authorities and reveal all the relevant RL details of the "#¤%¤&" scammer.

I so hope that some day a scammer in EU will actually end up in RL jail, for his virtual crimes. :mad:

Hi,

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

Two thoughts spring to mind here.

1) Marco responds to a scammer allegation and how they as a company see it. :thumbup:

2) The substance of the email deserves a sticky of some sort.

Thank you, this clears it up just fine.
Exactly as i expected the reply to be :)

Seems they warned you beforehand, hopkirk.
You should have known better m8 :(

I so hope that some day a scammer in EU will actually end up in RL jail, for his virtual crimes. :mad:

When that great day comes, I'd love to see MA construct a Virtual Prison here on Calypso, where the rest of us can look thru the bars and see the Avatar of the scammer languishing in Jail, looking miserable...

Would be awesome.

Sad to say, Hoppers, but you were warned. I have sympathy for your loss, but oh you silly silly man...

But at least you're not as $h!t as the guy that did this to you...

Hi,

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

Why would MA advise their customers to report it to the support department if they discover a scammer when their only response is going to be "all sales final"?
How does this help anyone?

More bad PR going on here.:mad:

Why would MA advise their customers to report it to the support department if they discover a scammer when their only response is going to be "all sales final"?
How does this help anyone?

More bad PR going on here.:mad:

Are you stupid or something? :scratch2:

They are supposed to report it before anything happens and try to provide evidence of that it is scamming...

Jeez :rolleyes:

Are you stupid or something? :scratch2:

They are supposed to report it before anything happens and try to provide evidence of that it is scamming...

Jeez :rolleyes:

where did marco say report it "before"
are you are stupid ?:handjob::handjob: :D

where did marco say report it "before"
are you are stupid ?:handjob::handjob: :D

well it wouldnt help much if you wait until AFTER you are scammed, right? :rolleyes:

Warning: off-topic post, sorry...

Can you please rewrite your post with commas, dots, well with human sentences...
I can't read this one. :(

This post has received negative answers
Also a -Rep saying "quite offensive, english is not first language of everyone, i think you should retract this statement". :(

So I will give one answer for all:
- Being french, my english understanding is not easy. And I did not undertand the post.
- I consider that posts must be written with clear and separated sentences, and I do try to make short and easy-to-read posts.
- I apologize if some people found it aggresive, it was not aimed to be.

;)

Sorry for Hop,

He lost a lot off peds, but i dont think he was greedy because the price was 310k ped for the fap, I heared him say yesterday night the 80k was just needed to get the item out off the bank! So not greedy only not to smart to go one with this after the reply from Marc from MA.

Still this is very mean to do, scamming people like this, I never will understand how folks can have fun with dishonest money.

Our logs will only register a normal trade.

Hmm I wonder if this means that private chat is not logged? Would not be that strange as chat seems to be p2p.

well it wouldnt help much if you wait until AFTER you are scammed, right? :rolleyes:

Certianly not with MA's current policy..
The point is MA is not doing much about scammers regardless of when a scam is reported before or after (unless it is MA that gets scammed, then everyone and thier uncle gets locked).. So why do they advise the community to call support if they do not intend on helping?:scratch2:?
IMO thats a important question:)

Certianly not with MA's current policy..
The point is MA is not doing much about scammers regardless of when a scam is reported before or after (unless it is MA that gets scammed, then everyone and thier uncle gets locked).. So why do they advise the community to call support if they do not intend on helping?:scratch2:?
IMO thats a important question:)

they will ban scammers IF they have proof... which they don't, in this case :rolleyes:

Hi,

Kindest Kind regards,
Entropia Support

Semai says| ...

One moment.... a few things...

1) Your friend Hopkirk is a (pardon my words) a moron... especially if he knew the guy had a bad track record... and, anything where you pass along 8k USD for free is just plain stupid....

2) As I said, he can file a lawsuit against this person ... although it's virtual, it's a real fraud action...

3) Question to MA... a) everything is logged somehow... b) although I understand your initial point of view, why don't you support people against scammers more actively and act as a police, especially when such high amounts are involved... how do you expect to build trust in your system if you can not intervene when it goes wrong? I mean we are talking serious money here ?

4) Another question to MA... I don't understand how the two sentences highlighted in Red can coexist... you want scammers reported... but you can not help against scam :scratch2:

5) Your logs only register a normal trade... how does the money go from one ava to the other? Is that not a trade? Is it normal that 8k USD go from one ava to the next without exchanging goods ?

Think MA is not to blame for this one but I assume it would be in MA's interest to get involved here... otherwise that's assistance to fraud...

It seems this policy actually allows scammers to thrive though as their is no punishment for major deceipt in Entropia... Unless of course this is how they want it to be played. There are insane prices on many hundreds of the items in this game and so if scammers are allowed to remain i just see a problem that is going to continue to grow as the game progresses. I for one would rather be more comfortable with MA locking the accounts immediately and at the very least giving the permanent ban hammer to that wanker.

Say for one second that this had happened to hopkirk from someone he had known very well for 5 years and they took the same amount of money and ran? Would you still call him stupid on that? Perhaps he was trying to find too good of a deal and perhaps he just trusted too much. Good scammers know how to play people like that unfortunately :(.

Just bothers the damn hell out of me that this guy is still out there with the fresh money he just took ready to do it again and laughing at all of us chatting here on the forums.

And Marco you say it looks like a normal transaction... Can you not look at the chat logs before and after the trade in question? Would think it would be easy enough to have a timestamp from when the trade occured and reference that in the chat database or however it is set up under the same time frame.

What if the person that got scammed could pay a fee sort of like how the TTed items fee works to get the investigation started at least... Or does it need to be a more high profile case?

3) Question to MA... a) everything is logged somehow... b) although I understand your initial point of view, why don't you support people against scammers more actively and act as a police, especially when such high amounts are involved... how do you expect to build trust in your system if you can not intervene when it goes wrong? I mean we are talking serious money here ?

4) Another question to MA... I don't understand how the two sentences highlighted in Red can coexist... you want scammers reported... but you can not help against scam :scratch2:

5) Your logs only register a normal trade... how does the money go from one ava to the other? Is that not a trade? Is it normal that 8k USD go from one ava to the next without exchanging goods ?

Think MA is not to blame for this one but I assume it would be in MA's interest to get involved here... otherwise that's assistance to fraud...

3) They don't have evidence enough, right?
4) Well... they want scammers reported, so that they can prevent further scamming, but they can't do anything if you have been scammed and don't have evidence...
5) How do they know he didn't sell an out-of-game item for PED and is then setting the other guy up?

You got the phonenumber? (sorry if I missed any detail, if the scammer called him up...)

Lets say I hope he got the phone number of the scammer. So you know where he lives.

Invest another 1k $ and pay him a visit? Flights are cheap these days. Of course just to file a case with the local police station, which always has to be done locally, if I recall it well. Not sure if other countrys have different possibilities.

But I guess suggestion to go the law way instead of relying to MA have been done already.

So just take it as my two cents and bump for an important issue.

Status
Back