Mining rocks!

Malacalypse

Prowler
Society
SPU | Smart Professionals United
Malachalypse Mal The Elder
So I just had to try out mining.

I read through the posts here on the forum, got the TT tools and headed out.
Small deposits of this and that. Then I hit a 40 PED oil deposit!

Took a while getting it up and back, but hey a profit. Not often that happened hunting. Loaded up with bombs and probes and going back out!

I had two of those in my starting days of mining, just pure luck
it gave me starting money, and altough i have nearly gone broke in the meantime, im back on my feet ^^
found a sizeable angelic and a 38 ped alicenies the last 2 days
So i got some cash again to carry me through the next few weeks (i think i mine pretty smart so i dont lose too much)

grtz and good luck ;)

On a trip with 40 bombs i found a sizable for 30peds, and globalled for 85.
BOth were blaus so i can sell at a decent % as well:)
And offcourse the usual modest and smalls^^

Please note that MA likes the concept of 'Beginners Luck' to get you hooked on mining. I had good success when I first started and profitted for a while. Now that I have much better mining skills I cannot find anything and mining is a huge PED drain for me. I really haven't mined much at all for the past month.

I for one hope you continue to do well

Lol yes, be especially careful of your expectations ... I liken it to my clients who expect to lose, hope to win, but are there for the good time regardless. A lot of them get a decent hit as "Beginner's Luck" like Steveborg mentioned and then figure thats the norm.... then put in more and more money, only to then succumb to those pesky figures known as the "Odds" in which the house indeed comes out ahead.

This also happened to me within my first week, globalled with a 110ped oil about 200 meters from Caravan and now I always drop a probe+bomb there even though I haven't found anything else at that location since then. :rolleyes:

Steve, I think why you are finding so few deposits is because more ppl started mining.
Ever since Leeloo ATH'd more and more ppl are trying there luck in mining, resulting in more ppl taking a share of the available ores.
I do believe in a matter of time this evolution will reverse, seeing as more and more ppl will either run out of peds(non depositing new players) or ppl who just had bad luck in this popular period, kinda like you.

I too got more or less beginners luck(hoffed for 441 cobalt) and experienced it isnt as profiting as the hofs/ath's make u think. But in the long run it's proving to become more profittable everytime I go out. Bad runs and good runs, i still make minor losses but thats because my skill isnt where it should be yet.

Nitrosomonas said:
I had two of those in my starting days of mining, just pure luck

Maybe not as much luck as you think :D I believe it is closer to designed that way so you will be "inspired" to take up mining.
Imagine what would happen if you took 50peds of bombs out and found what most miners (that have been here for awhile) find? If a beginning miner lost 20-40peds their first times out mining, I doubt they would continue mining. :wise:

edit: lol, I just read the other posts...as you see this is clearly the case, it isnt so much luck as it is designed to be this way. It is my belief that PE in general has been redesigned to keep the "new" people will stay around longer, rather than get frustrated in leave (to "inspire" depositing). Once they have enough $ invested (trapped) then things begin to change (to "inspire" more/continued depositing). Of course this is all just Morg-theory.

Last edited:
Gabba said:
... i still make minor losses but thats because my skill isnt where it should be yet...

Dream on, but expect to get hit hard when you wake up one day :rolleyes:

Zefram said:
Dream on, but expect to get hit hard when you wake up one day :rolleyes:

exactly :wise: and Zefram is a very experienced miner....and most any other experienced miner will tell you the exact same thing. And then in a few months time (and deposits) you may be saying the same thing as well.

its gonna be intresting to know what you think about mining after acouple of k:s of bombs/probes :)

Hmm not really, experienced miners tell me they profit as well.
Just don't overmine and pick your spots, thats what they tell me.

Anyway i believe you guys if u say it isnt good, but i've noticed a serious increase on my ROI since the start of my mining adventure and where I am now.

Gabba said:
Hmm not really, experienced miners tell me they profit as well.
Just don't overmine and pick your spots, thats what they tell me.

Anyway i believe you guys if u say it isnt good, but i've noticed a serious increase on my ROI since the start of my mining adventure and where I am now.

mining can be good from time to time.. its like hunting. But in overall, mining isnt so good anymore.... and it sure doesnt rocks :p

Fair enough, it may be like hunting with good and bad runs.
But overall mining seems more stabile and reliable than hunting, with skills offcourse.

I really like mining as it is not as complicated as hunting by far and is more oncoming to my gaming style.
There are, like with hunting, good times and bad times and I guess everybody can tell this is true for all professions.

In my case I really had not much luck at the beginning and was doing many things wrong.
For starters I just did ore mining and it was helluva work sweating each bomb outta the mobs.
When I was lucky I was able to say "bombs pay for bombs", but that was only in 2 of 5 mining runs.
The ROI got a bit better when I started with enmatter mining and did both types at the same time.
But the lucky fairy or Lootius are avoiding me, so I just can be happy if I get as much out of the ground as I spent on bombs and probes.

I like imagining that drawing some bad luck to me is helping other people having more luck.
Then I can at least say "Oh that one there got lucky. My luck went to someone who deserves it."

And some day maybe I will be the one *prays to Lootius*

I have always loved mining thru most if not all the VU's, and have tried to use as many bombs as possible on any given run i go on... I always seem to do better that way ;P I like the mining style up at CND, for some reason i just like seeing the better average deposit sizes even though they are few and far between.. : )

lolz this was my 1337 post ;P

Keep it up man. A lot of people here say mining is bad, and its all "luck" and "random". I respectfully disagree.

/agree teilk

Teilk said:
Keep it up man. A lot of people here say mining is bad, and its all "luck" and "random". I respectfully disagree.

I am not an experienced player, nor an experienced miner. But I must say I agree. Both the continuous advice from Leeloo(soc leader) and my own experiences tell me it isnt just luck.

Yes, getting a big HoF is offcourse some/allot luck. But like I said multiple times before, i noticed a significant increase on my ROI after i chipped the first and second time. And even now I notice an increase on meh ROI. In general that is, if i count the good and bad runs.

Teilk said:

I dont ever recall anyone saying its "all" luck or random. :rolleyes: but on the other hand even a 10yr old can carpet bomb a dome at CND.

I'd agree with mining being random, unless you start consider maths and physics, which I'd rather take a break from in the evening.

Monday I day I got a sub, then 5 mins later plentiful. Biggest deposit until yday was sizeable. Last night got sub great today great =P but thats beside the point I'm just lucky( and thx to a certain individual found out that you must equip the ore amp before you bomb...)

Mining 2107~
Prospectig 801~

Beginner's Luck

You know, I thought I was just being paranoid, but...

A few months ago, when I first started playing, I got a Global from killing a Berycled. Something like 187 ped.

After a while, I tried out crafting. After about 40 or 50 clicks on basic pants, I got a 93 ped global.

Recently, I started mining. My 21st probe, I got a 54 ped global.

Since then, I have had a couple more hunting globals and occaisionally get a good loot or "ample" deposit, but I always thought it was odd that I got globals in all three professions right after I started.

Could be coincidence, but still odd...

Rumsponge said:
but I always thought it was odd that I got globals in all three professions right after I started.

Could be coincidence, but still odd...

you will also notice this the "first" time you do a lot of things in PE....not just each profession, but certian activities or mobs/places within the professions.

All I'll say is get ready for some losses, but look beyond those losses and stick at it. There can be good gains to be made in the long run. Mining may not rock all the time but its the best damn proffession out there :D

Edit: I could be being overly positive because I've now had 4 globals and a robot ship in three days (no amp) :D :D

Last edited:
Rigged "beginners luck". The thought did cross my mind! It got me hooked anyway, we shall see how it turns out...

But if it is all luck then location should not matter. I just dont buy that. Since I have been hunting for several months I can move about in most areas. Would it not be logical that the tougher mobs, the more inaccessable area the better finds?

Anyway thanks for all the good advice.

Steveborg said:
Please note that MA likes the concept of 'Beginners Luck' to get you hooked on mining. I had good success when I first started and profitted for a while. Now that I have much better mining skills I cannot find anything and mining is a huge PED drain for me. I really haven't mined much at all for the past month.

I for one hope you continue to do well

Sounds like the same beginners luck i had,...250ish global on 3rd days play...
very little since.

Gabba said:
Ever since Leeloo ATH'd more and more ppl are trying there luck in mining

I take it you didn't saw the meteor event. THAT was "more and more ppl mining".

Mining being better than hunting is just a weak myth. Maybe there are some "special ties" for any avatars, like say a "horoscope" which will give to various avatars various chances in various proffesions. Might be the case, but we can't be sure of anything.

If you look at it overall, is just exactly like hunting. Same peaks, same losses, same wins.

If mining would be profitable, miners would be rich, hunters will be poor. Which is not the case.

So keep dreaming. And about "regular smalls and modests".. dude... regular finds are very poor-poor on ores and tiny-very poor on en-matter, with an average hitting ratio of 20-30%.

I don't want to spoil your dreams, but take it from "an experienced miner": in what regards ROI (generally, statistic), there is NO difference between hunting and mining.

Try to interview the best skilled miners in game, in societies PAC and UPC, and u'll get a more clear image.

Back