Mining Tool range

seamaster

Guardian
Society
United People of Calypso (UPC)
Dexter Seamaster Warlock
Hi.

I've seen alot of questions regarding the distance between bombs or probes. So yesterday I started to think ( :laugh: ).
Each tool has a significant difference when it comes to the depth - whatever depth means since it looks like it has no meaning at all.
Conclusion: No need to get a high-end finder when it comes to the depth.
Should be: Big depth - bigger deposits.

Well, anyway, the interesting thing is that the difference between the tools when it comes to range is very very small. I mean what kind of difference can 0.5 - 1 meter in range make? Beats me.
Conclusion: No need to get a high-end finder when it comes to the range.
Should be: Low end detectonator/finder - less range.

Range and Depth:
Conclusion: The range and depth are features not yet implemented.
Should be: Skilled miners should benefit from higher range and depth that should come with high-end gear.

It's only extractors/miners/drillers that actually make any sense at all.
Conclusion: High-end can pull more in less time.
Should be: The way it is.

Last but not least - what skill goes with what gear?
Lets start with the detectonators/finders.
a) I for one cant see any difference when it comes to skill gains using a tool with LFB YES or NO. The skill gains are Prospecting, Surveying, Perception, Geology.
b) The depth is not moving an inch even if any of the above skills move up fast. Would not be surprised if I am wrong here tho.

Extractors:
Using a tool with LFB YES or NO makes no difference when it comes to skill gains Mining, Drilling or Extraction.

So my conclusion is that we make assumptions regarding the tools that are far more complicated then it is. I think that the mining system is a fake when it comes to detectonators/finders. I have no proof at all from anyone, yet, that a highskilled miner can find more then a n00b due to the fact that they master a high-end gear.

/Sea

what I am saying is not at all a flame, but ironic. seems like ur socmate, mr. Silver, has completely different opinions on these matters..

myself I think/feel/whatever that i can do best with my best mastered tool (of 103 that is)

Noob with 105

I'm pretty much a noob miner, but I decided after using TT MF and MF 101 that i wanted to try the 105, bought one on auction 5 or 6 months ago at TT + 70 and never went back, I always got more hits, more often than not i made a profit, even with the decay on the MF 105. After the recent VU skill changes i went from 40 surveying to 160 surveying in 3 days, it was just amazing. I dont even deposit, so i had a limited number of probes to go on, then back to sweating or trading.

My suggestions to noob miners:

If you are limited on funds, stick to areas that soc mates say pay off, it is expensive to locate your own mining locations at random.

If an area doesn't pay off within 5 probes, move on, dont carpet bomb an area that doesn't produce right away, it could be dry, or others could have recently mined it.

The mining tools that have a YES for skill boost seem to perform very badly for me, bought a MF-103 after the new VU because it said that i would get a skill boost, my MF105 still provides triple the skill boost, and hits way way more.

READ --- the forum posts about mining. There are so many very perceptive people that mine, they find patterns, methodologies, and most often post interesting theories about how the mining works. Whether or not thier theories are true or not, i have gotten some really good experiences going out and testing thier theories.

Programmers --- there are lots of folks that write small utilities that can take in information about your tools and coords of mining hits and provide a map of the next logical places to bomb to provide good coverage, with some of the recent changes many folks are trying the Spiral Bombing methodology, look it up!

Make maps --- early on i used neomap to mark coords of hits (and misses!), what i got, and what VU. Now i know where the good places are in my head and i dont bother with all that typing anymore, but maps can really help you establish a solid foundation of places to mine.

Random Drops --- if you are running between places and have the extra probes, drop a few here and there, especially if there are mobs around, the one best tip that i can give is that MOBS GUARD DEPOSITS. Since the latest VU it has become clear that mobs stand around the deposits.

GL to all you noobs, im planning on graduating from noob to not so noob, so you will be on your own.

MF 105 is HIGHER than 103, so if 103 has bons, 105 will have for sure....

Kerham said:
MF 105 is HIGHER than 103, so if 103 has bons, 105 will have for sure....

Well, have you checked this out for yourself? Because what you just stated is not true.
I'm still a newbie in mining and have a bonus on the 103, but no bonus on the 105 series ....

shinobi, that is because u are not skilled enough to USE 105.

Kerham said:
shinobi, that is because u are not skilled enough to USE 105.

Indeed, and with this quote you are contradicting yourself :)

this is twilight zone.

so, 105 has larger range, increased depth, but u want me to admit that 105 is inferior to 103? -_-

seamaster said:
So my conclusion is that we make assumptions regarding the tools that are far more complicated then it is. I think that the mining system is a fake when it comes to detectonators/finders. I have no proof at all from anyone, yet, that a highskilled miner can find more then a n00b due to the fact that they master a high-end gear.

/Sea

Here is a non-assumption for ya :)

There is a large benefit from using high end tools :
higher end tools = higher decay = higher income for MA...doesnt seem too complicated to me :)

The only benefit to miners that I can tell from experience ( I carry set of ore 101 tools and set of 105's) is the speed of extractors and the radius of finders. Weight and depth at this point mean pretty much nothing to me...there isnt enough of a difference to justify wasting the higher decay$ since larger deposits arent deeper than regular ones, and what tool you use has nothing to do with what ore you will find...as MA has stated that is skill related. As far as this "learning bonus" :rolleyes: , there is no ju$tifiable "bonus" (for me) in the skill/pec(decay) from a 105 vs. a 101.

For what I can see, the new mining VU has brought a large increase in prospecting/geology/surveying skill gains (the only mining skills that we can NOT accurately test the benefits from), and a huge decrease (~30%) in drilling/mining skill gains (the only mining skills that we CAN accurately test the benefits from)...if ya hadnt already unlocked extraction, too bad for ya.

I am curious to see what mining will be like once the "event" is over with and ores/matter have stopped raining from the sky. :eek: (which may be any day now). Only theory Im willing to share (here) is that the higher level miners will be mining about 90% of the new rare ores with ~10% of mid-low lvl miners getting lucky every now and then. Which is how it should be.

I can't wait for the "ending meteor event ending" announcement, so all this damn lottery to stop and mining become again scientifical (I hope...).

Regarding the range, noone can actually prove it (without the code source from MA), BUT: with my best mastered tool (103 it is) the average of my findings is "modest", while with tt the average of my finds is "poor". There.

This is a copy from a 100probe/100bomb run I did last week with 105's

Oil:
p395
p240
vp285
p129
p450
vp368
Amp220
Amp353
p438
p423

..needless to say I stopped keeping records soon after this, since was painfully obvious that size/depth had no relation. The results were the same for other matters/ores.

did u mastered 105? i am sure not. so u're not using it at full potential, right?

I can't say me and Silver have different views.

Silver is right that when using a tool u master u will find more - that's a fact. I've used the MD50 alot (which I still not master) and found nothing, then bombed with the OF103 and found a deposit at same spot at same time.

What I am saying is that Depth and Range is bogus in current mining system - do not buy a high-end gear looking at the range or depth. Well that's my opinion.

Well, anyway, the interesting thing is that the difference between the tools when it comes to range is very very small. I mean what kind of difference can 0.5 - 1 meter in range make? Beats me.

lets say the HOF is that 1 M away? would you rather go without it, than with it?

Also, if you use alot of bombs/probes, the total M that is added will ad to alot.

100 squere M of are coverd extra with 100 bombs. Bigger area = bigger chance to hit/find.

I didnt read the other posts, so sorry if anything i said here gas been mentioned before!

Kerham said:
did u mastered 105? i am sure not. so u're not using it at full potential, right?

that is correct for my 105 finder, though my 105 extractor lacks .1 before being mastered.

But, I was saying that I failed (from the records that I made) to see a relationship between size and depth of a deposit. Since some were under the impression that larger deposits are found deeper, therefore need a detector that finds things deeper to find larger deposits. In fact from my records of that mining trip, just the opposite seemed true, that more times than not the larger deposit was closer to the surface than the very smaller ones. The higher lvl finders should in theory find "more" deposits than a tt one (larger search area), if you have mastered it or not.

The extractors are a different story, though I need to luck onto a couple hundred ped lyst deposit to get any decent test results, as the limited testing I have been able to do have been too short on smaller deposits.

In the future Ill most likely be using a tt extractor with a 105 for backup and for when a need a fast extraction, and a 105 detector (for the added ability to find more deposits). Its hard to use a tt driller though, they are so darn slowwww.

Lol!!

seamaster said:
I can't say me and Silver have different views.

Silver is right that when using a tool u master u will find more - that's a fact. I've used the MD50 alot (which I still not master) and found nothing, then bombed with the OF103 and found a deposit at same spot at same time.

What I am saying is that Depth and Range is bogus in current mining system - do not buy a high-end gear looking at the range or depth. Well that's my opinion.
LOL!! You havent figured it out yet??
The depth aint about SIZE but something else..
If you havent figured out what that is, i sure as hell wont hand it to you..

Morg said:
relationship between size and depth of a deposit

why should THAT be the relation? maybe depth has to do with... probability of finds? or otherthings?:)

Tiger, you're so mean

I think he meant to say that depth=type or total TT of resource

Therefore, higher depths, higher TT resource types found... thats how you get your rugaritz, manganite, etc

Unless of course... you want to mine out lyst and fight with all the other miners in the world for it :D

Kerham said:
why should THAT be the relation? maybe depth has to do with... probability of finds? or otherthings?:)

did you even read what I wrote, or do you just like building post counts.? ...thats 2 in a row.

Well if the range difference is 1m, ie 44m or 45m.

44m will cover an area of 6082.1m
45m will cover an area of 6361.7m

Thats a 4.4% difference in area.

Not much, but noticable.

Ghandi said:
Well if the range difference is 1m, ie 44m or 45m.

44m will cover an area of 6082.1m
45m will cover an area of 6361.7m

Thats a 4.4% difference in area.

Not much, but noticable.

if u wanna ge tall technical on it :)

still. That is a difference over a high amount of probes!

Tigerman said:
LOL!! You havent figured it out yet??
The depth aint about SIZE but something else..
If you havent figured out what that is, i sure as hell wont hand it to you..

Where do I say anything about SIZE or anything else regarding what relates to depth. Depth aint about nothing - it's a random number made to make the mining system more mysterious. Thats what I say.

Sorry...

seamaster said:
Where do I say anything about SIZE or anything else regarding what relates to depth. Depth aint about nothing - it's a random number made to make the mining system more mysterious. Thats what I say.
Sorry..
But you say depth dont matter, which is wrong.
It used to matter for size, no it dont seem to do that anymore.
But it DOES matter to other things.

seamaster said:

Read the posts again, someone allready told the answer to depth. Ever heard about someone finding rugaritz at 200m?

Tigerman said:
Sorry..
But you say depth dont matter, which is wrong.
It used to matter for size, no it dont seem to do that anymore.
But it DOES matter to other things.

Only thing that I could see was that deeper the deposit, the poorer....as an example, when finding something deep, 400+ it's usually a poor/v.poor.
I don't know what really does matter in mining nowadays, but I must say I am not to happy with my finds...

As for the depth, all i can say for sure is i`ve never found angelic at depths below 200m. So maybe i can confirm that rarer resources lay at lower depths...
Later edit:
every deposit found over 500m was tiny or vpoor

Panther said:
As for the depth, all i can say for sure is i`ve never found angelic at depths below 200m. So maybe i can confirm that rarer resources lay at lower depths...
Later edit:
every deposit found over 500m was tiny or vpoor

ive found yesterday:

ample lyst @ 380,

71 ped lyst @ 390

so....whats up with that?

Pretender said:
ive found yesterday:

ample lyst @ 380,

71 ped lyst @ 390

so....whats up with that?

i said what i said out of my experience...and it applies to my experience on en-matters

Last edited:
Hi, I recently chipped out all my mining skills and started mining again.

MY suggestion:

1. 101 series.
2. From time to time, as your skills increase, check the 102 series (buy one or check in auction) to see whether you can do 130m or above with it. Once you can, switch.

repeat for all 10x series ;)

remember, more skills gains will be more profitable in the future since mining skills are EXPENSIVE ;P

Back