Mining Tool range

Hi.

I wrote down some findings and the corresponding terrain height shown in the picture below.

I'm trying to see if there are any correlation between the Z-value in the terrain and the depth of a deposit. As you can see it's hard to say in this picture. I'll continue to create some new maps with more data to see if there are any such relation.

The left picture shows the depths and the right shows the height of the terrain. First I thought that low terrain gave low depth but I can't say that anymore.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

/Sea

Sharyn said:
Only thing that I could see was that deeper the deposit, the poorer....as an example, when finding something deep, 400+ it's usually a poor/v.poor.
I don't know what really does matter in mining nowadays, but I must say I am not to happy with my finds...

I have a feeling that deeper ones are smaller too, but I'm too lazy to properly document things. One explanation for this could be the following:-

Imagine a deposit is fixed at a 3D point below the surface.

The 'detectable' area of this deposit on the surface can be mapped by drawing a cone, with its point below ground at the location of the deposit. There would be a circle where the surface intersects the cone (would be an ellipse on sloped ground), this is the detection area. If you are within 'detector tool radius' of this you would have a chance to detect the deposit.

Now, as long as the 'sides' of the cone have a fixed angle, then the nearer to the surface the deposit is, the smaller the detection area (ie you are nearer the point of the cone).

As we would expect big ones to be harder to find than smaller ones, this would put the bigger ones closer to the surface.

The idea could be extended further if you imagine different ores have differently shaped cones, ie rare ores like rugaritz have very steep-sided cones giving a much smaller detection area on the surface, whereas belkar would have a very 'fat' cone allowing it to be detetcted much easier.

Not sure if 514 meters is deep but that was the depth of my last Great Belk.

The idea u have, Ironheart, is very interesting tho.

doesn't mater what tools you got, if MA doesn't like you you will never get any big ones :mad:

Well it's about time u guys starting using circles instead of squares. Lets look at earth like geography firstly. How are mineral deposits formed ?

Mindark also states that are metors or something bombarding the planet. THEREFORE seeing that the ground level of the planet cannot change, these rare resources would impact the planet as a CIRCULAR object. Logic would dictate that a deeper strike would contain more resources. A deeper strike would also indicate the centre of the object. Seamaster has already plotted such objects in the 3d pictures in this thread.

My feeling is that depth is still nerfed. I was using a MF-103 last night and found a Tiny Nexus at 530m and a Tiny Nexus at 64m as well as a Large Nexus at 398m. All the same tools and skills and within 30 min of each other. I can find no logic in this.

Dino said:
My feeling is that depth is still nerfed. I was using a MF-103 last night and found a Tiny Nexus at 530m and a Tiny Nexus at 64m as well as a Large Nexus at 398m. All the same tools and skills and within 30 min of each other. I can find no logic in this.

I agree. I think MA is still trying to "tie the sack " together regarding mining. You master the best possible detectors after a very little time mining and even with high skills and OF105 theres still mostly lyst/zinc/narc/blaus to be found...( there are offcourse some exceptions ;) ). Yesterday I found 85-90% lyst/zinc nomatter what and where I tried.
I look upon mining as a work seriously in progress and will stay back and only drop some scientific bombs/probes until things clear.

Regards
Strakkan

After some soc-discussion we did some comparing.

It all started with a soc-mate using of105, and having higher avarage than me. We started comparing skills, and we tied in all except inteligence, where he had 53 compared to my 50. He can use an of103 fully, but I'm still at 155m depth.

So, inteligence is most probably a multiplier (from other rpgs it usually is), and has a lot to say in PE.

Sorry for being such a n00b - But I would like to upgrade my mining equipment.

1. Can I craft my equipment to be better? Eg. -101 u/g to a -103
2. Do I have to buy the equipment from auction?
3. If I'm not skilled enough will it be pointless me buying equipment until I'm skilled enough?
4. And what are the advisable levels to be at before u/g?

first of all, take tt equipment. right click it. read at "stats". for ore/enmatter finder, it says ur depth reaccheable compared with standard depth of the tool. also, if says "learning skill bonus yes", then it means u can't use it efficiently, but u will skill faster.

for extractors, at stats too, check ur efficiency is like x/y.

When u have "learning skill bonus not anymore" for finders, respectively x=y on efficiency of extractors, then u can upgrade to next series.

example: i use of 103 efficiently and i use it when i want to be sure of it, while of 104/105 i use for faster skilling.

and all the time is more cheap to buy them from auction. 101, 102 and 103 have reasonable prices (103 is tt+20 if i remember correctly) and, until u will master the 103 series, u will probably have enough peds to not worry about the tt+90 for 105 :)

on the flipside, is very arguable the efficiency using the not-yet-mastered tools (i.e. those which still gives learning bonus). we have not any actual proves that an of 104 with learning skill bonus is less efficient than a mastered of 103. i just feel this way.

Im talking from my own experience,so no hard fellings.I used to mine with tt ore finder/ex. till 2 days ago.I thought that it wont make any difference if i switch to of1,2,3,4,5,because i thought about it like a trick to use more decaying things from MA.(experience from hunting,where i geared up,and almost got broke looking at no loot:))

i knew i could use even 104 with my skills,but didnt care.the problem was that i was loosing badly on every turn i made ,return always about 50%.I did hof once,and globaled too with tt gear in the last few days,but couldnt cover the loss.

I bought 102 gear and with 50 bombs got 300% return,with one run,second 100bombs,95%return.Could be luck,or right time,right place,because i never mine on same location twice(works badly for me),but could be,that the right gear is important.But,i never noticed any connection between size-depth.

PS:a test would be very easy,to find the difference between tt and better stuff.2 Avatars with similar skills would make a run,where the better geared one would drop his bombs,find a claim ,but not take it.then try same place with tt stuff,and if there were no reources,we would have a proof ,that gearing up makes sence.(1 avatar would be enough,but i have one other theory too,that some avatars supose to find what they find,so 2 would be better)

Back