MM Scammers - Take the money and run!

You may wanna try reading a couple pages back where i detailed that law needs to catch up but it doesn't justify it.

For years it was also possible to distribute music and other works cause law just had no real grounds to work on. Our law books needed to catch up. Guess what, there's been precedences set in virtual property, so that argument is pretty moot. Everyone understands it's wrong, some just pretend it's less so cause it's not outright illegal and spelled out in ink. You know, calling a random person u don't know, unprovoked entirely, a fat ugly loser with crooked teeth is not illegal, but it sure as hell is immoral. Could u argue it's immoral to pick out someone for having lost a loved one in a tragic accident and laugh about it?

Getting away with something never made that something moral.

But guess what, even verbal contracts are binding, never mind that they probably had to WRITE likely it. It is text based the ingame interface, tho they could have used ts or vent or the like. I said that just because law hasn't caught up, it doesn't somehow throw morals out the window. You may actually want to reread my posts cause u either skimmed over it fast or just lack basic understanding of the difference between morality and legality.

Last edited:
You know, calling a random person u don't know, unprovoked entirely, a fat ugly loser with crooked teeth is not illegal, but it sure as hell is immoral.

You can go to trial for slander and difamation, at least overhere. Not really illegal to call names, but the person targeted has the right to take you to courts anyway (especially if they argue that you are causing grief and he's loosing money or whatever because of the risk of a bad image through the media). So it's not black nor white.

You may wanna try reading a couple pages back where i detailed that law needs to catch up but it doesn't justify it.

I have read the whole thread. I wrote a detailed and long winded post but the timeout killed my post.

Agreed on your second point as quoted.

Here are my points....take them or leave them.

I have worked with local, state and federal authorities on certain projects over the years. I am not a cop.

There is no distinction under the law regarding virtual and physical property. Property is "something of value", including brand names and patents. If this escapes you, look it up or contact any lawyer.

The local cops like local crimes. In my state, if the total is under $5000 USD, you can't even file a criminal complaint, it's civil. Unless you steal a candy bar from the local grocer.

The state cops like crimes committed within their state. If you cross state lines, you up the cost and complexity to them. The reward has to bigger than the cost to them. Good luck. That's if it doesn't fall under the interstate commerce statutes....you are now dealing with the feds.

If you have a company based in one country, a victim in another and the scammer in a thirds country, you are dealing with the feds. Try getting them to take an interest in anything under a million USD here in the US. You MIGHT get lucky. On the other hand, I have seen scams for tens of millions which were simply considered to complex to justify the cost and manpower involved. It happens all the time.

I agree that virtual property will become more of an issue as people build wealth and possess high value items in virtual worlds. The laws are in place....but it's damn costly to investigate. How much would you spend to get back a $!5,000 USD item. How much are you willing to have your taxes raised so that the feds spend $500k or more to get back a $15k item located in a third country? Any smart scammer would just run the item through a few counties via accounts and drive up the cost to investigate.

All in all, it's better not to loan out high value items. If you do and get burned, don't expect the authorities to drop what they are doing to get it back. It ain't going to happen....that's reality.

this stood out to me in the post...

In the end, Beijing's Chaoyang District People's Court ruled on Thursday that the firm should restore the player's lost items, finding the company liable because of loopholes in the server programs that made it easy for hackers to break in.

even though this was scammed, the avatar who was/is the owner of the gun voluntarily traded the item, in knowledge of known this could not be returned.

this was not down to the company aka Mindark who has state many of times all trade are final.

all this stated i do hope rep does get it back.

Hi Sloe,

dunno if this "you" is aimed to me, I quoted you here as did StrangeLove. And as he did I doubted the "car comparision".

For years it was also possible to distribute music and other works cause law just had no real grounds to work on.
Not correct. Here in Germany (& other European countries) there's an explicit law allowing to copy music and give it to friends and relatives, if done without commercial intentions. (text of law - use translator on it)

You see, here already start the problems. There's different laws in different countries.

Our law books needed to catch up. Guess what, there's been precedences set in virtual property, so that argument is pretty moot.
Again, not correct.
  • There hasn't been precedences in every possible country that might be involved, for sure.
  • And the importance of precedences differs a lot in the different systems of jurisdiction.
  • And there doesn't exist what we'd need here, kind of global court jurisdiction/ court system/ whatever to deal with cases like the present case.
You see, it's completely different to stealing a car. If you'd visit Germany and would borrow my car, not returning it, I'd have not much problems:
  • My car assurance would replace it's value (and the costs for a rented car for a certain time) if it's not to be found again.
  • The police would have it in their computers and if you'd happen to be seen before getting it out of Germany, you'd have serious problems.
  • I'd have your real life identity, and, since stealing cars is prohibited in your country too, your countries authorities would come after you after they'd have been informed by the German police. Again, you'd have serious problems. Even if you'd manage to escape Germany fast enough, because your name would be on the "wanted lists" and as soon as you'd try to check in at the airport you'd get busted.

The situation discussed in this thread is a completely different one. This starts with this:
EULA 4.1 said:
Virtual items are fictional in-world graphical objects with a predefined set of parameters in Entropia Universe and will often have names similar or identical to corresponding physical categories such as "people", "real estate", "possessions”, “currency”, “cloths” and the names of specific items in those categories such as "house", "rifle", "tools", "armor", “coat”, “money” etc. (“Virtual Items”). Despite the similarity in terminology, all Virtual Items, including virtual currency, are part of the Entropia Universe System and/or features of the Entropia Universe, and MindArk and/or respective Mindark’s Planet Partner(s) retains all rights, title, and interest in all parts including, but not limited to Avatars, Skills and Virtual Items. These retained rights include, without limitation, patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and other proprietary rights throughout the world. Notwithstanding any other language or context to the contrary, as used in this EULA and/or in the Entropia Universe in the context of Virtual Items, You expressly acknowledge that all terms like “exchange of”, “trade with”, “purchase of”, “sale of” or “use of” Virtual Items, and all similar terms in context of transactions with Virtual Items, refers to the licensed right to use a certain feature of the Entropia Universe or the Entropia Universe System in accordance with the terms and conditions of this EULA.
Find it here, and check what I have highlighted!

We're not talking about property that could be stolen, according to the laws of quite some countries, we talk about a "right to use a fictional in-world graphical objects with a predefined set of parameters in Entropia Universe".
Ignoring that we deal with a "fictional graphics object" (that would give us enough problems already explaining the cause to the authorities) that admittedly has one parameter named "TT value", this parameter by far not represents the money we value it for (TT + markup). Have fun convincing your local authorities that PEAuction, or the in game markup window, could be used to detect the actual value ...

Add to it the term "right to use".
You ever leased a car, to stay with your example? Then you'll know this term - leasing a car buys you the right to use.
You ever got a leased car stolen?
I did. Tell you what happened: Went to police, reported it. Police filed the case, gave me an file number, told me to inform my leasing company that would need to file a complaint before they could do anything. I couldn't file the complaint because I was not the owner.

Will MA file a complaint when I loan my EP-40 to you, and you're not returning it? You bet ...

What's what we learn from this?

• It's highly risky to loan any item in such an environment, without matching collateral.
  • We maybe MIGHT succeed in such a case asking for help the RL authorities, but it might easily cost us a lot of money to spent on lawyers.
  • The jurisdiction in such cases is very rudimentary, and there might be more countries involved, with different systems of jurisprudence.
  • Depending of the financial situation of the scammer and the country it lives in we might, even if we are most lucky in court, get absolute nothing for our loss, and our expenses.
  • MA will maybe provide some logs if asked, but otherwise tells us again & again that trades are final, and that loaning is bad & dangerous.
  • The forums are full of cases of trust scams even, and especially, among the most skilled & wealthy participants - so nobody can plead to "I didn't know ..."

So giving away any item without collateral, to anyone we don't know very well, personally and in RL, without the intention that it might become a gift, can be considered basically stupid. IMHO.

Everyone understands it's wrong, some just pretend it's less so cause it's not outright illegal and spelled out in ink.
[...]
[...]
I said that just because law hasn't caught up, it doesn't somehow throw morals out the window. You may actually want to reread my posts cause u either skimmed over it fast or just lack basic understanding of the difference between morality and legality.
Sloe, this did hurt me. I guess it wasn't meant this way, but it did hurt.

Did you read somewhere in this thread someone defending the scammers? Especially, did you read such from me?

Stealing is stealing, abusing trust is abusing trust, doing wrong is doing wrong, IMHO.

It's just - if you loan 15K USD to this nice guy in the bar that you drunk with for 2 months now, without having it's ID, without having a signed contract, or without any collateral, your just plain stupid, IMHO.

This doesn't ease at all the crime this guy committed when taking the money & running, but my pity for you will be limited.

Another case is the armor upgrade scams. I had met a fresh newbie, had helped a little with team hunts after the sweating phase, had donated some armor parts when he made his first deposit to finally start over, but did forget to warn him of these. He lost his brand new, shiny, finally fully repaired complete Goblin armor, and even his TT sword & Opalo to such an upgrade scammer. For sure, he never ever logged in again.

Without reducing the guilt of the Uber scammers, this is even worse, IMHO. And even more hurting the game. But usually laughed at.

Strange world. No fun.

Any news on this gun?
What I was wondering. Did it sell? Did the auction expire? Did Star buy it for the 50k?

All the stuff about the EULA is all very well but I don't really want to plough through 23 pages to find out.

this has been a long running topic, pretty big, anyone got a link to the thread on how it all happened? How they scammed rep? I assume tier upgrade of some sort...

anyways.. people like this should die in a car fire for such shit.

Someone mentioned he accidentally traded the 50k for a regular Merc...
*stir stir*
:naughty:

this has been a long running topic, pretty big, anyone got a link to the thread on how it all happened? How they scammed rep? I assume tier upgrade of some sort...

anyways.. people like this should die in a car fire for such shit.

I the case is or was like this: A:has a very expensive laserpistol, He has a good friend who want to borrow it for a week, we call him B: now he has a very good friend who also wants to borrow it for a week, we call him C: now he doesnt want to return the pistol.

Thats it End of story.

I the case is or was like this: A:has a very expensive laserpistol, He has a good friend who want to borrow it for a week, we call him B: now he has a very good friend who also wants to borrow it for a week, we call him C: now he doesnt want to return the pistol.

Thats it End of story.

Close except B lent C his avatar instead of the pistol and other borrowed items and then C using the borrowed avatar B traded the items to D who is ???

That is a bit closer to what has happened. And it was not just A than that lent items to B, but A2, A3, and maybe A4.

So B is responsible here. He has to deliver the items back. If he can´t he has to pay A1 A1 A3 in Ped or $.

GIVE
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]
HIS
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]
BACK!

I can´t see why the Owner of the game can´t simply take the gun from ones inventory and give it back to the right owners inventory. It can´t be that difficult.

I can´t see why the Owner of the game can´t simply take the gun from ones inventory and give it back to the right owners inventory. It can´t be that difficult.

Simple. Prove he didn't sell it using an out-of-game-payment (like cash) and is simply trying to swindle the other guy.

(Just playing devil's advocate, explaining why MA doesn't just switch back items claimed stolen.)

Simple. Prove he didn't sell it using an out-of-game-payment (like cash) and is simply trying to swindle the other guy.

(Just playing devil's advocate, explaining why MA doesn't just switch back items claimed stolen.)

The thing with this is that MA have always 'advised against' making out of game transactions or you do so at your own risk(you may not receive your item or the cash etc and MA cant give any support for that) so why not take it one step further and say 'out of game transactions are strictly against the EULA' that way no one can claim that as an excuse.

That wont solve all problems and might not have helped in this case as it was the whole account security that was 'given away' but it would atleast take one part out of the equation.

There would still be issues with people making payments over a period of time for items then the original owner trying to claim a scam(as they didnt recieve a lump sum at the time of the initial item trade) but thats when I imagine chat logs would come into play.

What I was wondering. Did it sell? Did the auction expire? Did Star buy it for the 50k?

All the stuff about the EULA is all very well but I don't really want to plough through 23 pages to find out.

Did you check the auction history?

This is sooo chaffing!

I mean how low do you have to freaking be to steal stuff like this via trust. Also if what happened as was ex0plained "Lending of the avatar that had the item" that would immediatly make me think the person was in on it. Not like I have freands with items such as these but i would never feel comfortable even borowing such items. WTG Star for trying to help the community out again.

Oh, how wonderful it would be to be innocent again. :D

I know what you mean. But I mean the months and years of relationship building--to steal crap. But you are right there are more colon cavaties then there are nice people ;) .

Well F.Y.I. there hasn't been a single MM that was sold this year off the auction.

Well F.Y.I. there hasn't been a single MM that was sold this year off the auction.

Well you could have said that in the first place.

And that info still wouldn't tell me whether or not Star's offer to pay one of the scammers 50k had been taken up.

You could always chip in and buy this one Akoz is selling at Nea's
A measly 180k PED...

Last edited:
I know what you mean. But I mean the months and years of relationship building--to steal crap. But you are right there are more colon cavaties then there are nice people ;) .

Except this crap is worth a fortune and thats probably why he stealed it :silly2:

Back