MPOGD Article on Entropia Universe at GDC 2008 & Creative Kingdom Partnership

Thanks for sharing! :)

First of all, nice catch and thanks for the post.

The article seems to be mostly marketing fluff, but there are two things in it that are a little disheartening.

Unless I misread something, it sounds like this new CKI planet is going to be a virtual model of the development they are doing in Thailand with some gaming thrown in. Kind of seems to be the wrong prioritization.

Also, it sounds like MA is spending a lot of time pushing their "platform" to corporations as an advertizing gimmick and very little time actually developing their game.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's sure how it seems.

Unless I misread something, it sounds like this new CKI planet is going to be a virtual model of the development they are doing in Thailand with some gaming thrown in. Kind of seems to be the wrong prioritization.

Hmm...guess I didn't read it that way. The planet as a model of Cyber City? Guess I sorta see what you mean. Coulda been worded better. I hope it isn't just a model of that. :(
They never mentioned it will be a gaming planet anyway though what kind of economy it will have without a gaming aspect is a good question too.

Creative Kingdom (CKI), an international architectural firm behind several spectacular themed resorts and hotels, is pairing up with the Thai government in creating a massive $7 billion multimedia and IT complex called “Cyber City”. Before that monumental complex ever sees the light of day, a vision of CKI’s finished project will set sail online within Entropia as a dedicated planet, complete with a virtual world economy that’s been the signature feature of Entropia since its launch. “CKI is the first confirmed group we have working with us who are from a completely creative background,” Bates added. “We’re as interested as anyone else to see how they use their architectural and creative skills in building a planet from the ground up.”.

Last edited:
sounds interesting.

Hi and thanks for the link to the article.

I was just curious, does this mean that we would have to use the services of a pilot to get to these new planets. Or would this be completely new worlds and no pilot services. My thinking is that we would have to use the services of a pilot.

There has been a great deal of debate on this in other threads, mostly due to the inability of MindArk to actually communicate their plans with the players in a straight forward manner.

Current theories range from the orbs possibly being teleporters to more of the current pilot/hanger nonsense to personal spacecraft to some combination of all of these. In various chats/interviews/press releases, they have hinted at them all.

Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Thanks Rumsponge.

I must have missed the idea of using orbs for this purpose. Nice to have this forum to get got up on things that people are unaware of or missed information about the topic.:ahh:

First of all, nice catch and thanks for the post.

The article seems to be mostly marketing fluff, but there are two things in it that are a little disheartening.

Also, it sounds like MA is spending a lot of time pushing their "platform" to corporations as an advertizing gimmick and very little time actually developing their game.

I know this is an old post but many of you might be enlightened to listen to entropiaradio's interviews with the CKI guys, PvP FTW apparently. Tons of gaming involved, same thing with the coverage of nextisland @ realityport.

Lockley

Thanks for resurrecting a post from nearly a year ago to remind us to look at other threads from nearly as long ago. For new enough to have not read the other threads or listened to the interviews, you might as well.

However, as the story has changed pretty much continuously since the announcements, I would take it all with a grain of salt, so to speak.

At this point, only three questions remain-

1) How soon, if ever (CRD planets?), will all the "worlds" show up?

2) What will happen to the value of skills and items that might not be useful on new "planets"?

3) If many skills and items will be specific to the new "planets", how many new players who start on these "planets" will be willing to abandon them to move to what has now been renamed Calypso or First Planet, or whatever? And how much will this dilute the playerbase?

People have been bickering about all of this for a year now, but, at this point, I suspect all we can do is wait and see.

For what it's worth, I went to Realityport looking for info on Next Island and really couldn't find much. Maybe you could be more specific on where the info is located?

Back