Help: My computer wont start. Is it posible to 'jumpstart' a computer using 230VAC?

Real professionals ever have at least a notebook running besides to the PC :yay:

True, but real professionals wouldn't post threads like this, would they? ;)

on my way to the shop rite now for a new psu

Just FYI, if you try to boot your computer the way it is laying there, it will never work. Most computers these days will not boot without keyboard and mouse attached, and often also require a harddisk and optical media attached, some even require a floppydisk as well.
So if you attach a new powersupply to it (before plugging it into power) make sure to do that, and then attach a powerbutton or get a jumper and attach it and then remove it to the right pins to boot (you can find that in the mainboard-manual)

It could be the switch that's broken. You can short the two lines that come from the switch, this effectively will turn the psu on.

You mention your mb led is on, so the psu is still giving power. If you have a spare psu (from some other pc you have lieing around somewhere) you could simply swap psu's to see if the psu is faulty.

If not, then my guess would be a worn switch.

the other thing could be a defective bios battery, which is easily replaced.

w00hoo she is working now, look how pretty she is

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

new psu did the trick...

new psu did the trick...

That give me idea to show how I build my PCs ...

U absloutely dont need 750 w of power to run this rig. Especialy if u wanna plug in a SSD who suck nothing in electricity. Ur card is big but the power she suck is nothing compared to oldest ATI card such as 4xxx serie. This card, even if u OC it and turn all ultra high in EU will never suck even 200 W.

So yea I will make a post about how I build PCs:) Just to save us loads of money.

For the record 500 W is absolutely enough to run it:) Since I run a far more sucker 8800 GtX on a 500 w modular enermax psu ...

Last edited:
Mind if I drool on that GPU a bit? :drool:

All it needs now is some wire management :laugh:

just to make clear my previous post, it is not simply a matter of "disconnect and reconnect everything again". the key issue was in my case to "feed" the PSU with power, without the motherboard attached to it (and without turning on the PC, obviously). and, after that, reconnect the motherboard power cable (while the PSU keeps the power cord "on").

it's as if the PSU detected that something was wrong in the motherboard as soon as i plugged the power cord into the PSU. but if i plug the power cord in the PSU, without the motherboard attached, it does not detect any problems.

It supposed to be a line break after the ... i didnt mean that its like you said that ...
it was more like it could be like you said OR the power cord.

She?

Kimmi, you need to go out more... seriously!

:rolleyes:

No matter how long you study, you can never truly understand them fully.
They need constant monitoring and tweaking.
They'll cost you a fortune.
You wanna play with your friends new one.
They overheat if pushed too far and despite what is said about multitasking they can have a total breakdown if you make them do more than one thing at a time.

Of course it's a woman! :laugh::laugh:

No matter how long you study, you can never truly understand them fully.
They need constant monitoring and tweaking.
They'll cost you a fortune.
You wanna play with your friends new one.
They overheat if pushed too far and despite what is said about multitasking they can have a total breakdown if you make them do more than one thing at a time.

Of course it's a woman! :laugh::laugh:

:D

A woman with replaceable parts... :eek:

Still, i wouldn't take "her" to bed with me, even if "she" won't sulk when i suggest to take her sister with us... :laugh:

new psu did the trick...

Very nice. You got a Corsair. I've just replaced my 650W Corsair today with a Corsair 650W modular (dont ask why)

That wont give you any problems, enjoy! :)

Just for the info..
The PSU does let little current through even if its "not on"(read fan spinning),hence the green light on MB.
It's used for ex. LAN/timer/keyboard/S3/bla bla.. powerups.

I had a similar problem after my vacation this summer and found out that I had a nice pile of dust right over the green/black lead on the main connector.
I cleaned that of and it all went to life again.(but later had to change my whole rig to be able to play this "game".. :rolleyes:)

Oh, and the method Zaphod mentioned is a good way to check the PSU alone.

a modified alienware gaming pc:

• CHASSIS COLOR ALX Space Black - Anodized Aluminum Chassis
  • PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™i7 975 3.86GHz (8MB Cache) Extreme Edition Quad Core Processor
  • OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English
  • VIDEO CARD Dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 CrossfireX™ Enabled
  • MEMORY 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory
  • HARD DRIVE 512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB Solid State Drive)
  • ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 300GB RAID 1 (2x 300GB SATA-II, 10k RPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)
  • OPTICAL DRIVE 6X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner and 24x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
  • SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
  • GAMING ESSENTIALS Killer Xeno™ Pro
  • WIRELESS 1505 PCIe WLAN card with11n mini-Card & external antenna
  • MONITOR 24” Dell U2410 UltraSharp™ Full HD Monitor
  • KEYBOARD Alienware TactX™ Keyboard

water cooling system, and and and...

cost: $8,757 :D

a modified alienware gaming pc:

• CHASSIS COLOR ALX Space Black - Anodized Aluminum Chassis
  • PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™i7 975 3.86GHz (8MB Cache) Extreme Edition Quad Core Processor
  • OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English
  • VIDEO CARD Dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 CrossfireX™ Enabled
  • MEMORY 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory
  • HARD DRIVE 512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB Solid State Drive)
  • ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 300GB RAID 1 (2x 300GB SATA-II, 10k RPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)
  • OPTICAL DRIVE 6X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner and 24x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
  • SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
  • GAMING ESSENTIALS Killer Xeno™ Pro
  • WIRELESS 1505 PCIe WLAN card with11n mini-Card & external antenna
  • MONITOR 24” Dell U2410 UltraSharp™ Full HD Monitor
  • KEYBOARD Alienware TactX™ Keyboard

water cooling system, and and and...

cost: $8,757 :D

I would take you the wireless card, soundcard and the additional harddrives that are not needed and put in a Motherboard so that it would atleast work.

new psu did the trick...

Just the case left that is left to be done now...

...but seriously mate, with that imagination I somehow start worrying about you :laugh:

Crux as been pwned hard :D

added some screens

The green light is good, but dont you need a powerbutton to turn it on?
Unless you are using something to short the powerswitch pins on the motherboard directly :laugh:

Atleast you have it sorted now.

Back