Help: My computer wont start. Is it posible to 'jumpstart' a computer using 230VAC?

if the cooler fan of the suply is working
check for a red light on your mother board

perhaps something has been unclipped when you were away

was thinking about that myself, but dont have a spare cooling fan

lol.. you're not going to have much luck without a video card.. and without the front panel hooked up your going to need to short the two power switch pins. - ; )

dont need gfx card to boot pc do you ?? and yeah I can just short the power pins

dont need gfx card to boot pc do you ?? and yeah I can just short the power pins

well if thats all you've got hooked up.. you're probably getting a beep code that you can't hear. - ; ) unless the theres a little peizo onboard that i'm not seeing.

you getting any beep codes? ...they will be telling you there is no GFX card....if not you are not getting past Post.. and thats either bios or the MB shit the bed if the power light is steady on it.

EEEEKK!!!!

Please tell me you dont use your system like that just sitting on a floor

Ill assume it was in that case next to it...

If unplugging all the cables to take it out did not help. reseat the processor ram and vid card.

Oh.. more info.. does your cpu fan spin when you apply power since you said there is a light on the MB?

If that is the case... for giggles and hahas. Change the bios battery. I had a back up battery go bad once and that did the same thing.

This :) and you could try removing bios battery.. short out the contacts for a few moments.. reinsert battery.

you getting any beep codes? ...they will be telling you there is no GFX card....if not you are not getting past Post.. and thats either bios or the MB shit the bed if the power light is steady on it.

since the computer wont start, I get no beeps....

Oh.. more info.. does your cpu fan spin when you apply power since you said there is a light on the MB?

the cpu or psu fans does not spin... aka no power, but I have green light on my MB

then it's the power supply
just try to change it

lets see a picture of the back of your power supply.. - ; )

the cpu or psu fans does not spin... aka no power, but I have green light on my MB

Definately sounds like you need new psu since you get the light but no fans spin. Only way to find out is either check the voltages or just try another psu.

Sounds like PSU, or seating of components in the machine. I would say to open it up and carefully reseat all components on board (memory, graphics card), and check all lead connections. (with main power to socket leads out).

If after this doesn't start up, i would say a PSU prob maybe to low powered or faulty PSU.

If all else fails change the oil, check the water and sparkplugs - if you can't find these might be the toaster - go look for the computer. :D

If you don't mind me asking what CPU and Ram are you using in that box. You have just purchased the most bad ass gfx card on the planet, if you're using old CPU hardware then it's going to bottleneck the shit outta that card.

Look what Im missing :(

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Cut the red and blue fire and them put ir to a car battery :))

its either the MB that is dead or the PSU

if you have a spare crap PSU laying around try with that, if nothing starts then, try with another MB if you have that

OMG Kimmi!!!!!

At least put your board on lego blocks, wood or something to insulate it before switching on!!

OMG Kimmi!!!!!

At least put your board on lego blocks, wood or something to insulate it before switching on!!

omg but I have.......

hah picture of the back and / labels on your power supply would really help - ; P

omg but I have.......

K try and put some wood or rubber under board - make sure no solder contact to surface you have board on mate. Might just have been shorting or static on work surface messing things up.

Is it stone or nylon type surface?

PS if you played tabletop games D4 dice are good to support board one on each corner.

PPS hope board is ok, but in future always insulate board if out of casing from surface.

K try and put some wood or rubber under board - make sure no solder contact to surface you have board on mate. Might just have been shorting or static on work surface messing things up.

Is it stone or nylon type surface?

PS if you played tabletop games D4 dice are good to support board one on each corner.

PPS hope board is ok, but in future always insulate board if out of casing from surface.

:/ lol if it's been run flat on conductive surface.... oh dear, isolating it now would be too little too late :/ lol !

well I cant be bothered with this anymore.... Im gonna get a new psu tomorrow, and if that dont help... Im just gonna buy cpu,mb,fan,ram til it works....

Somebody please confirm if the following will work as Ive just had a large gin and tonic and not entirely sure!

Kimmi, since your fans do not run try this...

1. Unplug all the psu cables from all your pc components except external fans.

2. Use a piece of wire or equivalent to short the green and black pins (I have used 2 wood nails and bent them together before and it worked). This should turn on your psu.

3. If the fans dont spin it must be psu dead.

This is one way of testing without using a voltmeter. If the fans do spin then we will have to try something else.

first thing I noticed, the white jumper block in lower left of pics, is the block for connecting your mother board to the case.

Some aren't necessary (power light, led light, hdd light).

But you do need to have the power button jumper connected to a switch, either the case, or a switch from another case.

Your board has power, but it's not switched on.

Kimmi, I suggest you not to play with the 230V line, if you don't have the expertize. :)

You just manipulated the price for Crystal Palace saving a bidders life :laugh:

Kimmi, before you buy all that stuff, rather get some older parts out of an old engine you or a neighbour may have standing around and try out with them to find the error, may save quite some money; according to your description I would start with try PSU / Mainboard.

I do know that that I have never seen a 500w power supply that had enough amps on the 12v rail to power that video card (plus everything else). So you may as well start with a new PS that has the appropriate power.

Just hope whatever PSU you buy is as badass as your graphic card. Dont go for a 'bargain' / unbranded one whatever you do.

My Corsair 650W is great, I can recommend them.

as suggested, check the PSU is set for 220v. id try a cheap PSU/GPU (so you can see) before binning everything too. i'll alos point out it doesnt look like you have enough/correct connections plugged in on the bottom right of the last pic, where the PWR, RESET etc connects. id also try it in a case, but im peculiar like that:laugh:

one thing i do know, you will need TWO power feeds in to that beast GPU, not one.

Can't offer any additional advice, other than "no clue what you do? leave your hands outta teh hardware ffs!!!1"

Just posting here because i'm curious:

Did you post this thread with your toaster? :D

Can't offer any additional advice, other than "no clue what you do? leave your hands outta teh hardware ffs!!!1"

Just posting here because i'm curious:

Did you post this thread with your toaster? :D

Real professionals ever have at least a notebook running besides to the PC :yay:

Back