My Video Game paid me today!

Menace

Elite
Society
SECRET
Rob Menace Klok
The title is hypothetical as I haven't gotten paid YET today.... but I mean.... c'mon folks! Seriously.... what other hobby will just throw ya $50 here and there just to help buffer the costs of that said activity? I've yet to see Guitar Hero toss ya a $20 bill cuz you happened to hit the red button at the right time. I've yet to see the XBOX live service say.... "Hey... here's a hundred bucks to help cover your monthly fees!" I spent $50 bucks on a Wii game for my kids yesterday.... I searched and searched the packaging but NOPE.... no cheque in there.....

I've had bad loot.... REAL bad loot... and I've had really GOOD loot. My highest to date was $870 U.S. dollars from 1 mob. It took 3.5 yrs to get that but guess what.... I spend about $4k/year snowmobiling for 4 mths between Trail passes, fuel, maintenance, upgrades, etc.... Not to mention the $10k initial investment.... and it don't pay me SHIT unless I'm racing and illegally gambling on the outcome.

Seriously... it's cold outside.... I'm inside.... fireplace is going...... wife and kids are here decorating the house for Christmas... got a cold beer in my hand.... and though I may spend 25% of what it would cost me to go snowmobiling for the day (yeah that's right.... EU is probably my cheapest hobby).... I MIGHT get paid here in Entropia......

Menace

And what about the gamers in EU that lost for ex. 3k$ ? They should all just play another game that has no monthly fee and only cost for ex. 50$ ? You realize you only get your good loot because those players loose that much, right ? (That's unless MindArk attracts companies that will pay to advertise or such, or unless Star and such - assuming their claim of withdrawing each month without deposits is legit - stop doing that) ? Just to say: your view is a very biased look on EU (but yes, mine is biased too).

I think the point of his post was that this game actually at its core has a very generous offer.

People can play a multitude of other free to play games and get their money sucked up. This is the only one that gives you some of it back when you leave. And as long as you leave with over $100 in value, you do get some of your money back. Always.

And what about the gamers in EU that lost for ex. 3k$ ? They should all just play another game that has no monthly fee and only cost for ex. 50$ ? You realize you only get your good loot because those players loose that much, right ?

Well I don't normally get good loot. It's about once every 3 mths I have a good 3-4 days. I've spent about 25k U.S. in nearly 4 yrs. Still.... in the 4 yrs I've owned that snowmobile I've sunk 26k into it (with another 4k on it's way over the next 4 mths.) So if that snowmobile goes through the ice this winter I'm out more money. AND.... costs of EU decrease as your knowledge increases and skills increase. Other "non-virtual" hobbies tend to only increase in cost with inflation.

All I'm saying.... is that if you treat EU as a hobby it can be very VERY rewarding (assuming of course you enjoy the aspect of playing the game as much as you enjoy your other hobbies). And hey.... maybe you'll get lucky! On the other hand... if you treat EU like gambling (which means constant losses because it's not a slot machine).... then you'll be on the forums whining about loot and totally missing the rest of what EU has to offer.

Menace

The title is hypothetical as I haven't gotten paid YET today.... but I mean.... c'mon folks! Seriously.... what other hobby will just throw ya $50 here and there just to help buffer the costs of that said activity? I've yet to see Guitar Hero toss ya a $20 bill cuz you happened to hit the red button at the right time. I've yet to see the XBOX live service say.... "Hey... here's a hundred bucks to help cover your monthly fees!" I spent $50 bucks on a Wii game for my kids yesterday.... I searched and searched the packaging but NOPE.... no cheque in there.....

I've had bad loot.... REAL bad loot... and I've had really GOOD loot. My highest to date was $870 U.S. dollars from 1 mob. It took 3.5 yrs to get that but guess what.... I spend about $4k/year snowmobiling for 4 mths between Trail passes, fuel, maintenance, upgrades, etc.... Not to mention the $10k initial investment.... and it don't pay me SHIT unless I'm racing and illegally gambling on the outcome.

Seriously... it's cold outside.... I'm inside.... fireplace is going...... wife and kids are here decorating the house for Christmas... got a cold beer in my hand.... and though I may spend 25% of what it would cost me to go snowmobiling for the day (yeah that's right.... EU is probably my cheapest hobby).... I MIGHT get paid here in Entropia......

Menace

Yet your wrong on the xbox... Several events for a million dollars for the baseball series + there is tournaments in the Call of Duty Series that a series of people do face off in brakets to compete for a cash price/ something more of value such as an item.... :)
I only spend money on gas for snowmobiles, but maintence sometimes :D

Yet your wrong on the xbox... Several events for a million dollars for the baseball series....

Hopefully RL corporate sponsored events will be seen within Entropia as the game evolves. I would assume that if we do see events of this style the prizes will go directly onto your PED card. ;)

Menace

Whats the point in that thread except you are able to spend 51 K$ in 4 Years for 2 of your Hobbys :p ?

Ofc hobbys are usually not for free, but Games usually dont cost more than 50$ one time or 15$/Month ... And no way they get me to spend several K $ a year here :laugh:

Menace

Now MA bless you with ATH as u are only one not complaining on things turning wrong all the time :)

Great post Menace. While I have had my complaints about EU over the years and never got a windfall loot or item I must say I've kind of always treated it as a hobby. In the realm of hobbies it can be an expensive one but there are others far more expensive with little or no return.

As it stands right now my only hobbies are Art and Video games and maybe some eBay selling now and then. I guess I have always been interested in things that have potential to give back in fun and monetarily as well. My focus as shifted to my Art and when I finally finish my BFA we will see if my interests shift back to video games. Needless to say the money I have liquidated out of EU is paying for my school and I don't think I would be going for a BFA if I did not have that initial cash from EU to do so.

I will probably never quit EU until the servers shut down (lets hope that is many years away). I will know full well I will have ups and downs with EU just like I have for the past 7 years. I don't think it ever hurts to re-invent ones avatar and learn new things in this virtual world. I guess the same applies in real life you should never stop learning and continue to do what makes you happy whether that be a virtual world, Sci Fi artwork, or some other hobby or interest.

Whats the point in that thread except you are able to spend 51 K$ in 4 Years for 2 of your Hobbys :p ?

Point was not how much I'm able to spend.... was comparing 2 hobbies cost wise within my personal budget/style. Hey.... maybe you're in a Dart League and spend $100/yr doing that.... at the same time you can spend $100/yr in EU Opalo hunting and again.... maybe get paid a bit here and there.

Menace

Exactly, Entropia Universe is a GAME with a real cash economy, not a real cash economy with a game attached.. or a job with a game attached. First and foremost people should be here to have fun.

If you want to have fun at the top level though, of course you're going to have to pay for it. Same as wanting to play golf at the best clubs.. its going to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (and I'd rather play EU than golf).

What else will pay you for your investment? Uh... ANY other investment? Including a whole range of ones that actually have laws governing them.. insurance backing them.. and an intrinsic value to what you have invested in?

What else will pay you for your investment? Uh... ANY other investment? Including a whole range of ones that actually have laws governing them.. insurance backing them.. and an intrinsic value to what you have invested in?

Staring at a bond certificate doesn't sound like a very fun way to pass time

totally agree. :cool:

I think your odds are better with online poker. That said, D3 might be an even better way to get paid by your video game.

I still think that they screwed up by over inflating the cost to play such as L weapons for example, 50$ just to hunt one day for me when i can buy bf3 and play unlimited.

AND.... costs of EU decrease as your knowledge increases and skills increase.

WHAT?!?!?? What is this blasphemy!?!
You need to learn how to play in order to do better?

Isn't it easier to just whine and wait until they change the game so that I win?

Increase my knowledge? HA! Who wants to do that?!!

.... costs of EU decrease as your knowledge increases and skills increase. Other "non-virtual" hobbies tend to only increase in cost with inflation.

Highly debatable...
Which I'm not even going to bother doing.

Gratz on getting paid, I assume that means you received more than you spent. :cool:

Smokers spend easily 1500 us$ in cigarettes a year.

Quit smoking and you have over 1K ped you can deposit every month. :yay:

wish I were a smoker so I could quit and depo the money into EU instead...

I have played this game for a long time and still love it.. sure much has changed over the years but I almost always see things possitive in EU (unlike irl lol)

I know many ppl who quit and many ppl who quit and came back.. some ppl didnt really quit but they hate every second of playing (so they say) but they still hang on in hope for better days.

I have learned that ppl will come and go but EU will stay.. and as long as EU stays I stays.

and knowing that playing this can yield irl money if Im lucky makes it even more fun.. I sure that is why Im still here.. or it must be a really good game.. all the other MMOs I have played got boring after just a few months.. they dont need any emotional feelings.. EU does.. and thats was and still is what Im after in any games I play

What's left for those of us who neither smoke nor drink? Hell, I can't even dump my gf and save on gifts/dinners/whatever, for she left me years ago because of EU :laugh:

:O thats terrible.. I fucking hate gf's lol always in the way of my personal freedom.. I say fuck em.. and then throw them out of the window.. dont show any kind of emotion.. dont talk to them.. NEVER give them flowers.. gf's are evil! they will eat your soul if they could.. and in a way they can..

need a beer to calm down.. will start smoking later today so I can quit in the end of december..

^^ i did this, best choice i made for my health

What's left for those of us who neither smoke nor drink? Hell, I can't even dump my gf and save on gifts/dinners/whatever, for she left me years ago because of EU :laugh:

you can always go to church with the rest of the squares! :eyecrazy:

=D

Great point in OP Menace, and well made :)

Point was not how much I'm able to spend.... was comparing 2 hobbies cost wise within my personal budget/style. Hey.... maybe you're in a Dart League and spend $100/yr doing that.... at the same time you can spend $100/yr in EU Opalo hunting and again.... maybe get paid a bit here and there.

Menace

This is very very true. My best hof was a 8,490 ped molisk scout that I shot with the opalo. Of course, that was before the regen rate was changed on them. Even still, I've also got 2K from a daikiba mature (swunting while broke) with an opalo and several other smaller hofs that I can't even remember.

Hugs,
Aliana

Nice OP, I did that too long time ago.

If I compare my other hobby (pool billard).

Rent on billard table at my local billard pub is €10/h thats 130 PED/h
Well 130 PED/h in EU is nice hunt at mid levels.

Inital costs:
For my cue I paid around 10k PED, thats nearly the same what I paid for my gear in EU,
but most money I spent for gear in EU came from the occational really good loots I hit.

Beside that, at my local billard pub I am not allowed to bring my own drinks, so I have to spent 30 PED for a soda or 40 PED for a beer, if I am thirsty.
Playing EU I can drink soda from supermarket 10 PED/l = 2 PED/soda. Drinking cheap beer from supermarket while playing EU is only 1.5 PED/beer.

You see billard is definately more expencive hobby than EU and there is no option to get money back, except very few events where you may win a small price.

Nice OP, I did that too long time ago.

If I compare my other hobby (pool billard).

Rent on billard table at my local billard pub is €10/h thats 130 PED/h
Well 130 PED/h in EU is nice hunt at mid levels.

Inital costs:
For my cue I paid around 10k PED, thats nearly the same what I paid for my gear in EU,
but most money I spent for gear in EU came from the occational really good loots I hit.

Beside that, at my local billard pub I am not allowed to bring my own drinks, so I have to spent 30 PED for a soda or 40 PED for a beer, if I am thirsty.
Playing EU I can drink soda from supermarket 10 PED/l = 2 PED/soda. Drinking cheap beer from supermarket while playing EU is only 1.5 PED/beer.

You see billard is definately more expencive hobby than EU and there is no option to get money back, except very few events where you may win a small price.

yep! You know how the saying goes.. "people always spent the most money on their hobbies" I spent over 2 hours telling my girlfriend that my recent purchase of an UL emik t10 was a smart decision for my hobby. Some people don't understand that in this day and age, hobbies can be quite unique.. i.e. playing a game such as this. That being said, it is good to have another hobby apart from entropia such as billiards in your case, because it offers different perks that Entropia doesn't offer.. such as physical interaction and movement :D

Back