NASA interested in finding a partner to develope an MMO game

Sarubaboon

Alpha
Society
NBK Entrepreneurs
Just read on the bbc that NASA is interested in finding interested organisations to help it explore the possibility of developing a massively multiplayer online (MMO) game.

Wouldn't this be a good opportunity for EU to get yet another planet? maybe improve the space component of EU?

BBC NEWS | Technology | Nasa investigates virtual space

That would be a great idea !!!

Someone can TP run me to Cape Canaveral TP plz ?

Very interesting !

hmm NASA planet nice they ceartanly have the recources to make it cool:)

Certainly would be nice for EU to have another partener.
Maby they could help us out with our rather un-realistic 'space travel' as well ;)

Hate to burst bubbles but I highly doubt NASA would support entropia because of the new online gaming issues in the US. If they did it would certainly be interesting though.

Havent' they partnered w/ND? Space Pirates

Dunno if EU is a good fit for NASA, as we can't even look out the windows during teleport...err.. I mean spaceflight. :)

AG

Hate to burst bubbles but I highly doubt NASA would support entropia because of the new online gaming issues in the US. If they did it would certainly be interesting though.

There are NO issues with Entropia as far as the US Government is concerned. EU is listed as an MMORPG that uses a real cash economy, it cannot be blocked legally by a bank for depositing(some banks have and continue to block but if you press them with a lawsuit and there legal team looks at the issue you will very quickly be granted the right to make the deposit-OC with an International transfer fee for the hassle)(Not all banks charge a ITF-only certain ones so check around if yours does you are paying them extra for nothing). It is not listed as a gambling site and it is excempt from the new gambling laws that downed certain sites from operating in the US. MA testified to Congress about the game and it is NOT listed on the US Federal Governments Gambling Watch/Ban list. Congress is now looking into taxation of virtual currencies but there will be no banning of the US player base from making deposits, making withdrawls, or participating in the Universe. EU deposits/losses CANNOT be claimed as gambling losses either.

In short, it is pay as you go online gaming-not gambling!

I would love to see NASA jump in with a planet but I would assume they would follow the same path the ARMY took with the MMORPG they have out. Hopefully MA can make some contacts and at least get a look over by them to see. I think the benefits for NASA, as an organisation that works with several countries all around the world, would be greater in a multi-national platform like EU.

NASA has been involved in 3D VR worlds for many years. It's nice to see they are interested in taking the next step to MMO type games instead of just the educational stuff alone. They can achieve both if done right :)

It's time, imho for EU to be all that it can be ;)

Certainly would be nice for EU to have another partener.
Maby they could help us out with our rather un-realistic 'space travel' as well ;)

You really want NASA realism? ok...

There's a new planet! Yay! And it's very close to us! Yay again! We can send ships there! More yay! ETA... 2020. :scratch2:

There are NO issues with Entropia as far as the US Government is concerned.
I stand corrected. Thank you for the information, I just assumed since you could theoretically put in money and take out more money
(say an ath) that it would be considered gambling. Good to know that is not the case.

Oh I hear it now, the bugs in the next VU, filing a support case Saying "Houston we have a problem"

Sent that in supportcase couple days back, sounds like a venture that would fit MA perfectly.

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm.

And that's all I have to say about that. :D

Uh, guys, they are talking realistic space simulation. Entropia is not realistic. It's also scifi.

Would be nice with a place with a little bit of "new oxford" feeling...except that this place would be Nasa ;) they could have a small replica of the launch room and stuff :D exhibitions and stuff

Maybe not an entire planet but a spacestation?

sounds like a intresting idea, anyone send a copy to MA

NASA could add new skills and proffs for peps to learn to

Uh, guys, they are talking realistic space simulation. Entropia is not realistic. It's also scifi.

It also supports third party "planets" with customizable physics so realism is an option. Oh and they plan to keep Calypso (we make videogame for money so people pay for our beta) but turn the Entropia Universe around it into 3D internet with all the benefits for work/education/entertainment such venture could bring.

If that MMO is too realistic nobody will play it.
Seriously who would want to send a space ship somewhere and wait years for it to arrive?!

*signs in to the NASA EU planet*

Weee :yay: runs over straps virtual self into a rocket and prepares for blast off. Countdown 60.........30...........15........10........5.4.3.2........flight aborted due to weather stand down for 24hrs. Immediately booted from server :mad:

24hrs later 3...2...1.... blast off as you rumble towards space weeeee :yay:and reach orbit where it takes you 6 hours to dock :rolleyes: with an interplanetary ship and when you get inside that you are briefed on a mission to Saturn weeee how fun and then shuffled off to a new state of the art hibernation chamber were you are put so sleep and signed off for year or more while you are whisked away to beautiful Saturn :scratch2:

After signing on periodically to find you are still in hibernation about 6 months into your flight your ship is damaged by Micro Asteroids killing all aboard.

Ending message is "So sorry please make a deposit and start again"

Ahhhh.........space flight NASA style where do I sign up lol jk

Ditto. My thoughts exactly. Or is it the lack of any real stance from the US on such games as EU? But it sure would be a great idea. I guess since it`s a good idea that means for sure it will never happen. At least it seems so in the US these days.

What new online gaming issues?

Please could you give more info or a link?

Thanks

Captain Mak I don`t know that it`s anything that new as far as laws go. But just the fact of past legislation, the dropping of payment processing for online gaming by credit card companies, the current non position on rce mmorpg`s and the irs still trying to find a way to implement thier taxing reach into these games. In that light there is no way NASA could get behind EU. There would be way too much hell to pay for too many reasons. Like helping to make it appear legit coming from a well known agency, simply supporting what may one day be considered online gaming and creating a stumbling block for any furture things they wish to enact. Not to mention I think that the US gov and associated agencies would be more interested in protecting the traditional monthly fee model of other games favoring US based companies than to support one from another country.

+rep, You make some valid points, especialy the IRS, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I read the article from NASA, and now thik EU would not be such a perfect match, I look forward to whatever comes of this from NASA, but EU will have to develope as MA see fit. Thanks for your input.

Back