Natural Skills vs Chipping

KlowN

Stalker
Krevorn KlowN Tzavask
Hey all,

I have a question regarding the skilling process: Does natural skills give you any "hidden" benefit?

To follow up on this, basically, here and there throughout my time in Entropia, I have spoken to people in different professions/businesses that have thought more of their uhh...luck I guess?...due to having natural skills in that profession. For example, a material designer (texturizer) with all natural skills (never chipped in anything relating to it), claiming to have better successes/higher %s when texturizing an item...or a crafter with better success chances due to skilling naturally...a couple more cases also.

So...yeah...does chipping in have any negative effect as opposed to natural skilling like this? Or if there are any other negative reasons (besides of course the fact that some chips may be more expensive than skilling, not that I know of any :p) please tell me also :).

Thanks a bunch :D

I highly doubt it. Only benefit of skilling naturally should be attribute gains

i looted a cb24 in a 8700 hof when i wa slevel 55 orso
ive naturally skilled since looting it to level 95.4 now and my highest hof in those last 3-4 years was 2500

does that answer your question ? :)

My only comment would be the lack of Agility,Strength,Psyche and Intelligence. Chipping can help you reach your goals faster but I know first hand Agility and Strength suffer for it. In my view Agility and Strength have a impact on your avatars overall function. W

With an Agility of 63 disproportionately low to my HP of 220 means I have a slow ass avatar who gets hit way to often compared to a higher level Agility. Goal in these next 3 months is to do 17 Agility missions...

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the skilling process: Does natural skills give you any "hidden" benefit?

To follow up on this, basically, here and there throughout my time in Entropia, I have spoken to people in different professions/businesses that have thought more of their uhh...luck I guess?...due to having natural skills in that profession. For example, a material designer (texturizer) with all natural skills (never chipped in anything relating to it), claiming to have better successes/higher %s when texturizing an item...or a crafter with better success chances due to skilling naturally...a couple more cases also.

So...yeah...does chipping in have any negative effect as opposed to natural skilling like this? Or if there are any other negative reasons (besides of course the fact that some chips may be more expensive than skilling, not that I know of any :p) please tell me also :).

Thanks a bunch :D

Natural skills give more I would believe. You can't chip agility, and according to chipping optimizer, in some combat professions agility is good for 60% of the level.

My only comment would be the lack of Agility,Strength,Psyche and Intelligence. Chipping can help you reach your goals faster but I know first hand Agility and Strength suffer for it. In my view Agility and Strength have a impact on your avatars overall function. W

With an Agility of 63 disproportionately low to my HP of 220 means I have a slow ass avatar who gets hit way to often compared to a higher level Agility. Goal in these next 3 months is to do 17 Agility missions...

My agility is 51.8 and I have 107 hp. Jesus. I know the higher levels get slow but 19 vs 232 for 12 agi is ridiculous. I have gotten 3 from iron.

Natural skills give more I would believe. You can't chip agility, and according to chipping optimizer, in some combat professions agility is good for 60% of the level.

link please. entropedia has in no way shape or form given me that impression.

well natural skilling your getting to the same level as the chipper, but your cycling peds through the game if you do it naturally, so in all the a level 50 from chipping has cycled 0 peds and a level 50 natural skiller has cycled...... 100,000peds (this is a guess)

who do you think the game is going to pay? where as the chippers peds go to a 3rd party player, the natural skillers peds go's to MA :) where they have to give some back to keep us playing :)

My thoughts on it, Inno :)

chip in hard to get skills

I would chip in hard to get skills like Paramedic and Evader skills.

Not chip too much that you don't have peds left to play.

yup 60% of the level, but only when you have 10k of it. (unreal)
that means 10k agility gives you 60 levels in laser sniper hit for example.
I don't find attributes that useful. They give some HP and boosts for levels but I don't see a point in doing those missions (and loose a lot of peds) as fast as posible only to get +1 agil.
I would rather camp small eco mob which gives me both breakeven/profit and skills.

And I don't think that skills affect loot at some secret way. Skilled person had better returns before SIB and L guns were introduced. Now it doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong Im not talking about evader/dodger here, those skills are still important. HP is important too if you hunt big mobs and you have big chance of dying. Because dying is ofc uneco :).

Result-wise it makes no difference.
But the "hidden" effect is experience and that you will miss!

As for agility counting 60% towards some professions: thats true, but you will never get over 100 with a fairly new avatar so besides from moving slow it has little effect imo.
(100 agi would mean 0.60 levels in prostanding extra in that case)

link please. entropedia has in no way shape or form given me that impression.

You guys are aware that these 60% are a result of the underlying (assumed) multiplier of 20 for attributes (derived from the maximum of 500 in attributes seen on an MA inofficial avatar assuming that those 500 are the maximum and equal 10,000 in a "normal" skill - 500*20 = 10,000)?

Which means that an attribute listed with 60% makes up for exactly 3% of the profession. Only.
(3%*20 = 60%)

And btw.: Whipper(Dmg) = 140% Agility

60% of the level is not the same as 60% of a level.

I guess my point was more that there is no SIGNIFICANT impact of attributes. Someone has >100 agi, they probably don't reeeeally care about the .6 it adds to some levels vs someone who has chipped in.

Appreciate the replies everyone.

So, besides not cycling peds while skilling & not gaining the attributes while skilling, seems like everyone is in agreement that there's no weird hidden benefits, such as my texture example. Very good to know. I can understand the fact that loot may not be as good due to less peds cycled, makes obvious sense, just wanted to make sure there isn't any crazy negative effects to chipping.

I have chipped a lot in beauty over 3 years of course since those skills are a bitch to level lol, good to know that I won't get more failed hairstyle attempts or whatever other crazy stuff due to it. This thread makes me feel comfortable chipping in some attachment crafting skills now :p

Does natural skills give you any "hidden" benefit? = I would say no i have cipped a bit on the hard skills but if i look at my avatar i have now.

114 in agility, 92 in strength and i am lvl 99.2 in blp. Best loot so far is a marber laser riffle and 2 ESI at 700 tt.

Ok i did get a Phasm on 28 k but is when i did a depo on 33k $ 2 weeks before that.
And my skills today is about 440k.

So I can definitely say no with capital letters.

I definitely believe in "luck" and if your avatar is in the good eye of MA.

Last edited:
Does natural skills give you any "hidden" benefit? = I would say no i have cipped a bit on the hard skills but if i look at my avatar i have now.

114 in agility, 92 in strength and i am lvl 99.2 in blp. Best loot so far is a marber laser riffle and 2 ESI at 700 tt.

Ok i did get a Phasm on 28 k but is when i did a depo on 33k $ 2 weeks before that.
And my skills today is about 440k.

So I can definitely say no with capital letters.

I definitely believe in "luck" and if your avatar is in the good eye of MA.

like he said

I miss the old days in PE when i tried to connect any little event with a big loot.

Sadly i am aware that nothing effects what loot you get. The only thing i have noticed is if you lose massively on tt, then it can come back quickish in another profession, but again that is no gaurantee

As for how to effect what items you get, nothing does! If you believe otherwise, gamblers annoymous would be a good start ;)

I remember an old society mate, this is going back 5 years, was absolutely convinced that if he clicked a creature on a certain body part to loot it, that he got good loot. Needless to say he didnt last long

Maths is your friend in this universe

Rgds

Ace

I doubt it's the agility, prolly has to do more with evader lvl

i looted a cb24 in a 8700 hof when i wa slevel 55 orso
ive naturally skilled since looting it to level 95.4 now and my highest hof in those last 3-4 years was 2500

does that answer your question ? :)

Bit weird that you don't mention teamloots when you team more then 50% of the time, not saying that your loot is awesome but still.. How long since your last depo?

well natural skilling your getting to the same level as the chipper, but your cycling peds through the game if you do it naturally, so in all the a level 50 from chipping has cycled 0 peds and a level 50 natural skiller has cycled...... 100,000peds (this is a guess)

who do you think the game is going to pay? where as the chippers peds go to a 3rd party player, the natural skillers peds go's to MA :) where they have to give some back to keep us playing :)

My thoughts on it, Inno :)

Hahaha

Sorry, i wish you were right but... No.
The payouts doesnt seem to end up in the pockets of those who deserve it.

If u gonna chip, what is your goal?

Chipping is better for fast skills gains and Natural Skill gains if you have shit load of Time.

here is my 2c:

Natural Skilling: you do this by spending more TT to skill than chipping in... and if you believe in the 90% loot return theory then your returns would be better going this route since you have spent more ped to get to that level.

Chipping in: your skipping alot of the "TT" burn used to get to a certain level, your spending money on MU rather than just straight TT burn and that MU will never be returned to you.

In conclusion: i think that natural skilling will yield a better overall return rate on any of you proffesions.

The only difference I can see is:

Chipping is uncool.

LOL

A bit contradictory if you chip in coolness. I guess that means EU will blow up now :)

~Danimal

Indeed, I had not though of that. It's making my head hurt :confused:.

As mentioned before, there's a ton of additional skills you can get by natural skilling.

I chipped in to get to level 12 blp so I started with the cb 13, since I knew what a pain the butt it was to get past level 10. However, I felt it was much harder than usual because my other skills were low or even 0.

biggest advantage to natural skilling is that it keeps your skills balanced. Damage vs Hit, etc.

Also, skilling may be cheaper overall when you consider the cost of chips, well, assuming you don't add in 'time' as a part of the cost of course.

If you know the 'main' skill to chip in, it can help with several professions. Classic example is engineering and how it increases most crafting professions at about the same rate.

Last edited:
You can save alot of ped and time chiping in. But get a plan what to chip in e.g. rifle/ guns skills and related hunting skills, then all about health. Or the mining/ crafter skill chain if you not want to be a hunter.

Skills you miss out you can gain while doing missions for example as well.

Natural skillings takes much longer. I do not see any major disadvantage not to chip in.

Back