Help: need some help from an electrician or such.

Legion

Marauder
Society
Supremacy Reign
Iam Flatline Legion
As i said in an earlier thread my monitor has gone funky. it works once it warms up but it's taking longer and longer for it to warm up. So since i dont have any warranty left on it i opened it up and had done some googling on what faulty capacitors etc look like. I noticed that 2 things that look like this https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/init.do?shop=ELFA_SE-SV#item=67-193-22; was a tiny tiny bit raised on their top but if i look at the other ones they are completely flat. Are these two most likely the faulty ones as the monitor does work once it warms up or is there likely something more faulty with it?

Also how hard would it be to remove them and replace them for a noob :p

Sorry can't help you, but because the monitor is broken now anyway, if can't hurt to try replacing them I think.

Straight up dude..
I have a degree in electronics.. DO NOT FUCK WITH THIS BY YOUR SELF
we will be reading about your funeral services somewhere on the net I asssure you

Some of those capacitors can store enough of a charge to stop your heart if you become the path to ground.

Take it to a qualified service tech or replace it with a flat screen as they are probably cheaper then what it will cost to fix an old monitor. besides them old crt's suck power big time anyway.

Sorry can't help you, but because the monitor is broken now anyway, if can't hurt to try replacing them I think.

ye but i heard they might even repair themselves somehow by letting them be on sort of so in that case it would be unsmart to remove them :p

Straight up dude..
we will be reading about your funeral services somewhere on the net I asssure you

Some of those capacitors can store enough of a charge to stop your heart if you become the path to ground.

Take it to a qualified service tech or replace it with a flat screen as they are probably cheaper then what it will cost to fix an old monitor. besides them old crt's suck power big time anyway.

Xenophage speaks the truth... if you don't know what you're doing inside a CRT, get the f&*k outta there. :wise:

you will need to find replacement that have the same values, ex. voltage , capacitance...you need to make sure you know which direction the new ones will go in , + and - terminals MUST be installed the same as the old ones or you are done.

you will need a wand soldering iron to heat up the solder connections of the old capacitors and heat up the remaining solder to slide the new ones in unless you have a solder sucker to clean the solder away while it is hot. you will need extra electronic solder to make sure you have enough for the new connections to be secure.

to remove and install the new ones you will need to have access to the other side of the circuit bored if the capacitors are push through type as that is where the connections holding them in will be.

not any easy task but not impossible. will be easier for you if you just accept that it may not fix it, but you will have fun trying and learning something new. But try to do it right and it may be a fix :wtg: :yay:

Straight up dude..

i heavily second trinas post!

Please dont give advise to someone not qualified to work on something this potentially lethal. I know he may not be the most loved person on EF but he is human so dont let him jeopardise his life over something material.

Straight up dude..

well that part i knew :)
that they can store power for some time and such. but the thing is the qualified tech would cost me as much as a new monitor (1500 -2kish peds) while replacing those two myself would cost like 20 ped xD

you will need to find replacement that have the same values, ex. voltage , capacitance...you need to make sure you know which direction the new ones will go in , + and - terminals MUST be installed the same as the old ones or you are done.

you will need a wand soldering iron to heat up the solder connections of the old capacitors and heat up the remaining solder to slide the new ones in unless you have a solder sucker to clean the solder away while it is hot. you will need extra electronic solder to make sure you have enough for the new connections to be secure.

to remove and install the new ones you will need to have access to the other side of the circuit bored if the capacitors are push through type as that is where the connections holding them in will be.

not any easy task but not impossible. will be easier for you if you just accept that it may not fix it, but you will have fun trying and learning something new. But try to do it right and it may be a fix :wtg: :yay:

thanks for the info, i knew about the +- stuff though so will If i do this take note of that :)

I have a couple of degrees in electronics as well and I totally agree with Xenophage: Do NOT mess with big capacitors w/o knowing what you're doing. Seriously. See it like this: They need to be able to withstand currentfluctuations from the electricity-grid for several hundred milliseconds. You can't...;)

Xenophage speaks the truth... if you don't know what you're doing inside a CRT, get the f&*k outta there. :wise:
STAY OUT FOR SURE!!

Like already mentioned before, either take it to someone to repair it for you (professional ;) ) or consider a replacement. I always push for self learning and discovery, but there are some electronic devices that are best left alone.

Oh and there is no self fixing components in any electronic device... otherwise we woudn't need to replace or warrenty anything :laugh:

Edit: This is CRT? Go buy nice big LCD you won't be sorry. those CRT have a lot more that can cause this problem than a couple capacitors going Bad. Do NOT even waste your time or money on trying to repair it or taking it to a shop.:eyecrazy:

Soldering iron..5 bucks.
Solder...3 bucks..
Capacitors 25 cents each.

Ambulance ride 2k dollars.
Salary for professional to restart your heart 50k dollars..
Surgery to amputate mangled hand 35k dollars..
Physical therapy for a few years to retrain for normal life..75k Dollars

New monitor 300 bucks.
Not smelling smoke the rest of your life... priceless.

Have to second the other guys here... Don't go kill yourself :p

CRTs are not to be messed with if you don't know what you are doing.
Thats high voltage, you don't even have to touch it to get killed by it, the spark can jump several centimeters.

If you are as crazy as my friend and I when we were 16, then you can build "frankenstein ladders" using the high voltage transformator, and make some ozone... :p

Would not recommend it...

Legion, you annoy the hell out of me sometimes; but rly don't open a CRT even after it has been turned of for hours. The discharge is enough to kill you or burn you severely.
Get a new one and give to old one it to recycle

Edit: This is CRT? Go buy nice big LCD you won't be sorry. those CRT have a lot more that can cause this problem than a couple capacitors going Bad. Do NOT even waste your time or money on trying to repair it or taking it to a shop.:eyecrazy:

just to mention it's not a crt, it's an lcd :) who uses crt today? :p

liquid crystals burn and can cause cancer when coming in touch with your skin. Also most LCD are not repairable.
LCD has capacitors too...

Buy a new one before you kill yourself, cheap-ass!

That makes it a little less dangerous but Id still reccomend you keep yer hands out of it and let a qualified person fix it.

And this will be my last word on this..Ill wait to see if we get notice yer craoked. or a post from the hospital telling us which body part you burned off.

I thought that was weird, don't know where it came from, maybe someone up in the thread just started to assume it :)

There is probably high voltage in your LCD too though (for the backlight).

caps should be smaller, and probably safer though...
I can totally understand your desire to fix it, though I personally try to stay away from anything that might contain high voltage, just to be safe :p 220V is bad enough...

So repeating what others and myself in my 2nd post, DON'T BOTHER IT. Even if you got the capacitors replaced it more than likely wouldn't fix it.

Those CRT have a Cathode that is a Photon Emitter that shoots photons onto the screen. If you accomplish not Electrocuting yourself you could also run the risk of shorting out the wrong spot and letting the charge from those Capacitors run through the Cathode which will shoot some photons out. Guess what you removed the protective shielding which was protecting you from stray Photon particles so you could access the circuit board. Now you are not protected.

Stray photons can go through your body and do several things but not limited to Blindness, Sterility, Brain Damage or Aneurysm, Nerve Damage which can be a loss of motor skills or speech or even erections. Take your pick or choose all of the above. It may sound funny but it could happen.:eyecrazy:

Better keep your hands off.
You simply assume, that a capacitor is the error, but it could be almost anything. Some capacitors get bulky as they age, which does no mean they are faulty.
Some don't show any sign and are broken.
Even if you would simply change the bulky ones, the error could be on a layer of the board, in an IC or transistor.
Unless you have the equipment to measure the whole board and the manual for the service personal, you can not fix that thing.

Replacing components is easy on any PCB.. but you gotta know how to discharge the TV.. i won't tell you as i do not wish to be responsible for your iminent flying lesson. CRT's can typically carry 25,000 volts and i've known some to carry 40,000.

And besides.. replacing a component or two without knowing EXACTLY what your doing will likely result in multiple component failure.

And see post above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely do not use your scientific approach on this that you've been using on loot theories!!!! Take it in to a real repair shop, or go get another monitor.

Having worked on alot of electronics I`m with the other folks who don`t recommend playing with it as that`s all you`ll be doing without being able to troubleshoot all the components. And even then are you good at soldering? Can you avoid frying adjacent parts? LCD`s do have a lifespan that is not infinite. They go bad with time and need to be replaced. Maybe it`s just time. And could be a good excuse to upgrade!

Since you will probably do it any way...look it up on line :silly2: If you suck at soldering, I wouldnt even bother to attempt this. Depending on how close things are on the board, it will make getting it soldered back in there with out messing up the other connections tough. Flow Soldering machines are used to make those connection with computer accuracy, this can be tough to recreate some of these connections by hand.

You have to discharge the capacitors in the crt, some of them can hold a charge indifferently. I would do the power supply as well but at least the power supplies will slowly drain its self, the crt will not.

Im not so worried about you getting shocked taking it apart :D Im more worried about what happens when you put it back together. What ever you do, dont stand in front of it when you power it back up. You also might want to put it in some type of wood crating just incase your power supply decides to take flight. Let it run for a couple hours to make sure its not gonna blow anything. Any type of smoke, pull its plug immediately.

You have a better chance of fixing your old monitor than cracking loot theory :D GL

If it's CRT, walk away. The caps for the flyback transformer will ruin your day. Probably won't kill you, but you might wish you were dead for a week or 2. Plus you'll probably make a bloody mess when you get thrown out of it.

If it's LCD, it's probably NOT cap's causing the issue, you'll end up needing more sophisticated test equipment than a ohm meter and soldering iron. Replacing the caps without figuring out if it's really the issue is like doing random surgery on your body trying to resolve some random pain.

Stop depositing for a month and buy you a new display. Welcome to the disposable generation. :)

I thought that was weird, don't know where it came from, maybe someone up in the thread just started to assume it :)

There is probably high voltage in your LCD too though (for the backlight).

caps should be smaller, and probably safer though...
I can totally understand your desire to fix it, though I personally try to stay away from anything that might contain high voltage, just to be safe :p 220V is bad enough...

i dunno who it was hehe :p

So repeating what others and myself in my 2nd post, DON'T BOTHER IT. Even if you got the capacitors replaced it more than likely wouldn't fix it.

Those CRT have a Cathode that is a Photon Emitter that shoots photons onto the screen. If you accomplish not Electrocuting yourself you could also run the risk of shorting out the wrong spot and letting the charge from those Capacitors run through the Cathode which will shoot some photons out. Guess what you removed the protective shielding which was protecting you from stray Photon particles so you could access the circuit board. Now you are not protected.

Stray photons can go through your body and do several things but not limited to Blindness, Sterility, Brain Damage or Aneurysm, Nerve Damage which can be a loss of motor skills or speech or even erections. Take your pick or choose all of the above. It may sound funny but it could happen.:eyecrazy:

well i kind of know why and what is the problem. I googled my symptoms on it and they said it's the power board or the power invertern that is broken, exactly what a power invertor is i'm not sure of as i cant seem to find a proper translation for it. And it was a lightningstrike that semifried the monitor, but it's only on the power circuitboard the error is on. And every other capacitator is completely flat except these two that are just beside each other. this is what it looks like but not just as much as this one http://soft.vub.ac.be/soft/_media/members/denniswagelaar/personal/dsc04926.jpg

http://www.seb.me.uk/static/dell-transistor-broken.jpg

Capacitor Testing, Safe Discharging

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm

Some of us work in areas where capacitors are huge, unusual or sometimes both. Many people believe that only "big" capacitors can kill you, knock you across the room, blow a hole in you, or get your attention. Here are a couple of comments:

When a capacitor is safely discharged, do not stop there. Some capacitors, due to their ability to leak---are "dead" after being safely discharged with a "bleeder resistor" of the right value for the job. Using a resistor that is under-rated - wattage-wise - can result in the bleeder going open circuit DURING a discharge sequence LEAVING some energy! High voltage capacitors, or worse yet, high energy-high voltage capacitors require correct wattage AND correct resistance to be bled safely. Also, high microfarad low voltage capacitors can vaporize a screwdriver and spray metal in your eyes. (Adequate voltage margin is also essential for resistors used in high voltage circuits. --- Sam.)

Certain types of capacitors are made of VERY good materials, which can hold a charge for YEARS! Putting away charged capacitors of this type is an invitation to disaster!

Low inductance capacitors that are used in energy pulse circuitry, many times are of the oil-filled high energy/high voltage type. This type can give a MOST un-pleasant surprise AFTER it has been completely drained by a safe bleeding technique. After the capacitor has been bled, IMMEDIATELY short it, from terminal to terminal AND to the external metal can (if applicable)!!! These capacitors RE-charge from their internal fluid and can STILL deliver a lethal, as they "recover" a certain amount of energy! this type of capacitor, or any capacitor of any high (enough) energy value MUST be LEFT shorted.

Be particularly leery of any capacitor with a broken off lead that is sitting in a drawer! Sometimes, these units break off during testing and don't get thrown out - but remain charged - to kill or shock years later.

Lastly, the word "electrocution" is used in many high voltage device writings. That's bad, because it was only intended for the "electric chair", short for electro + execution.

Capacitor Discharge Technique
The technique I recommend is to use a high wattage resistor of about 5 to 50 ohms/V of the working voltage of the capacitor. This isn't critical - a bit more or less will be fine but will affect the time it takes to fully discharge the capacitor. The use of a current limiting resistor will prevent the arc-welding associated with screwdriver discharge but will have a short enough time constant so that the capacitor will drop to a low voltage in at most a few seconds (dependent of course on the RC time constant and its original voltage).
Then check with a voltmeter to be double sure. Better yet, monitor while discharging (monitoring is not needed for the CRT - discharge is nearly instantaneous even with multi-M ohm resistor).

Obviously, make sure that you are well insulated!

For the main capacitors in a switching power supply, TV, or monitor, which might be 400 uF at 350 V, a 2 K ohm 25 W resistor would be suitable. RC=.8 second. 5RC=4 seconds. A lower wattage resistor (compared to that calculated from V^^2 / R) can be used since the total energy stored in the capacitor is not that great.

For the CRT, use a high wattage (not for power but to hold off the high voltage which could jump across a tiny 1/4 watt job) resistor of a 1 to 10 M ohms discharged to the chassis ground connected to the outside of the CRT - NOT SIGNAL GROUND ON THE MAIN BOARD as you may damage sensitive circuitry. The time constant is very short - a ms or so. However, repeat a few times to be sure. (Using a shorting clip lead may not be a bad idea as well while working on the equipment - there have been too many stories of painful experiences from charge developing for whatever reasons ready to bite when the HV lead is reconnected.) Note that if you are touching the little board on the neck of the CRT, you may want to discharge the HV even if you are not disconnecting the fat red wire - the focus and screen (G2) voltages on that board are derived from the CRT HV.

For the high voltage capacitor in a microwave oven, use a 100 K ohm 25 W (or larger resistor with a clip lead to the metal chassis. The reason to use a large (high wattage) resistor is again not so much power dissipation as voltage holdoff. You don't want the HV zapping across the terminals of the resistor.
Clip the ground wire to an unpainted spot on the chassis. Use the discharge probe on each side of the capacitor in turn for a second or two. Since the time constant RC is about 0.1 second, this should drain the charge quickly and safely.

Then, confirm with a WELL INSULATED screwdriver across the capacitor terminals. If there is a big spark, you will know that somehow, your original attempt was less than entirely successful. At least there will be no danger.

DO NOT use a DMM for this unless you have a proper high voltage probe. If your discharging did not work, you may blow everything - including yourself.

The discharge tool and circuit described in the next two sections can be used to provide a visual indication of polarity and charge for TV, monitor, SMPS, power supply filter capacitors and small electronic flash energy storage capacitors, and microwave oven high voltage capacitors.

Reactions: alh
Are you able to find the data sheets on the LCD.. Most likely through the manufacturer. Im curious as to what kind of monitor this is.. make and model, size as well.

This is for my own interest.. I just finished graduating from electronics engineering technologist and love to play with this sort of thing.

Second.. if it is just the power module for the unit itself, then it might just be replaceable through the manufacturer. I would also look on Ebay for parts for this unit or simular monitors that use the same components. Could be an easy fix but also could be alot more complicated.

It still a very risky proceedure to be playing around inside of the power module, so take care. lol since you already have it apart that is :D

Are you able to find the data sheets on the LCD.. Most likely through the manufacturer. Im curious as to what kind of monitor this is.. make and model, size as well.

This is for my own interest.. I just finished graduating from electronics engineering technologist and love to play with this sort of thing.

Second.. if it is just the power module for the unit itself, then it might just be replaceable through the manufacturer. I would also look on Ebay for parts for this unit or simular monitors that use the same components. Could be an easy fix but also could be alot more complicated.

It still a very risky proceedure to be playing around inside of the power module, so take care. lol since you already have it apart that is :D

samsung 206BW and yep been looking on ebay and googling for spareparts found 2 places that has the ip board but i'm not sure they are shipping to sweden and the cost is about 50$ for the part.

manuall dont know if it has the wiring or such though http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...00709/20070917140652875_BN59-00521H-03Eng.pdf

but i did find this which is sort of my problem, although mine is the powerbutton flickering on and off aswell but same symptom

[YOUTUBE]cjjpmCcs8ho[/YOUTUBE]

Back