New LA's am i missing something?

one path makes more money for MA though...

Very true... however, if I was "running the show" I would want people to see that YES there is a reason to be highly skills and get uber gear. You can work with your mates to get a LANDAREA!!! Otherwise there is no tangible incentive from the "creator" to be the best. Might as well hunt snables and exas all day :rolleyes:

By putting the LAs in the auction for the highest bidder, the system shows the reward goes to the person with the greatest limit on the credit card. Certainly MA (Calypso Corp.) get money in a quick transaction, but in that case I would certainly like to see what that money is used for, ya know?

I fear it will be an auction. Would be nice if the ones closest to the TPs are Landgrab areas. The other, less desirable LAs can be auctioned.

Perhaps MA need some quick cash? Creating a few LA's and popping them on AU would be a way to achieve this I suppose. LG seems like... whats the word... "work?"

I agree though, long term LG areas are more interesting, and the money spent on gear and ammo during a LG must be some?

How does auctioning the LA's make MA more money, aside from people possibly depositing more? I thought it was clearly stated the ped Marcus Calendar character gets from property sales goes into the loot pool. MA takes only a percent of the decay and MAYBE a percent of some fees, rest goes back into the loot pool (and I believe amp decay isn't part of the decay they take).

MA will generate money in depos related to the LA's in various ways.

As far as inside info, I all ways lean to the side of corruption. You just have to know which wheel needs the grease to get things to move your way.

This whole thing just stinks of less loot over all. Think MA is going to start realizing that maximizing company profits is not very fun/rewarding/dynamic for the player and that, that strategy is going to have the opposite effect on their income.

How does auctioning the LA's make MA more money, aside from people possibly depositing more? I thought it was clearly stated the ped Marcus Calendar character gets from property sales goes into the loot pool. MA takes only a percent of the decay and MAYBE a percent of some fees, rest goes back into the loot pool (and I believe amp decay isn't part of the decay they take).
Directly it might not make them more money, like you say MA have stated they take their income from decay etc. However selling off more LA's will inject $$$$ into MA's book's and for their pending IPO and end of year accounting it will certainly put some icing on the cake.

I thought it was clearly stated the ped Marcus Calendar character gets from property sales goes into the loot pool.

Well if this is correct (sounds a bit too charitable, but thats only me) then I guess they would make more money from LGing them off. But an extra flow of cash into the company looks good as stated, even if it is given back via loot (that will most likely be spent "the proper way" anyhow :laugh:)

When Amethera first opened up it was intended to be totally private owned, so it's only normal that more LA's are appearing :)

When Amethera first opened up it was intended to be totally private owned, so it's only normal that more LA's are appearing :)

Spot on...

VU 6.0 - 10 AUG 2004
New Map interface
The addition of new locations spawned the new map interface. A map of the Eudoria continent and the Crystal Palace Space Station is supplied, as well as a sneak peak of the newly discovered continent “Amethera” (also known as “The land grab continent”). The new map interface has various filters, a quicker navigation system, and three distinct zoom levels.

Even then it was referred to as "The land grab continent"... that implies ownership to me.

VU 6.1 - 6 OCT 2004
The Amethera continent is live!
The all new continent of Amethera is released! The planet Calypso’s second continent is available for exploration. The land contains never before seen creatures, threats, plants, and trees. The area of the continent is roughly three times size of the old Eudoria continent. This addition brings another great location to the Project Entropia experience, together with the Crystal Palace Space Station released earlier this year.
The first real virtual land grab!
The first real virtual land grab event will commence on the new Amethera continent! Those avatars meeting the skill requirements or who have an estate will be able to travel to Amethera and take part of the land grab. The land grab means that a society will battle for the control of a land area, on which they can set taxation on and later improve to make it better.

In the same VU release as Amethera going live, LandGrab is mentioned. I would lean toward another LandGrab coming, and soon. They probably simply want to ensure all the markers are in place, accessible, and functioning before they let fly the dogs of war (so to speak). God knows, this comminuty is very unforgiving if an error is found during a LandGrab.

Last edited:
From where i sit all i can see is all the area's that we used to be able to hunt or mine without paying tax we will now be taxed instead.

Why am i not excited? :scratch2:

When MindArk added Amethera to PE in the first place, they said that almost all the land of the continent would consist of landgrab areas. So I do not understand why people are surprised by this. :scratch2:

I tried to claim a new land area today ;)

but the following message appeared:

"Your society already has an active land claim"

this tells me its Land Grab land ...... :D

Well if this is correct (sounds a bit too charitable, but thats only me) then I guess they would make more money from LGing them off. But an extra flow of cash into the company looks good as stated, even if it is given back via loot (that will most likely be spent "the proper way" anyhow :laugh:)

While mining anyway, I've always found I do quite well in taxed land areas, as opposed to tax free areas. And yes that is correct about the loot pool, there was a big stink when properties was first being offered about if MA keeps those peds, and Marco cleared it up, don't think it was this forum though probably EP's forum.

I posted earlier, but thought i would clarify what i meant by the earlier post somewhat.

I am totally in favour of new LA's for sale, landgrab or whatever (more exciting than banks or Malls to me at least). I just wish that they would have come with the opening up of more of Amethera, and not crammed into the current available play space. Also doing this has disrupted some of the spawns that now seem to be around the edges of the LA's.
Not a huge problem to me, i would mine/hunt on the new LA's if they offered something worth going for. It will be interesting as well to see what these LA's raise through auctioning if they are sold, especially in the current seemingly decining value on many things.

1 LA = 4 dna
4 dna = 4 IP
4 IP = 60 fertiliser / day (60 ped)
60 ped / day = 180 USD / mo
20 LA = 3600 USD / mo

20 LA = 1 programmer / designer expences covered

100 LA = all MA programmers covered, other profits go to suited monekys :yay:

I.

Now you do the math :laugh:

1 LA = 4 dna
4 dna = 4 IP
4 IP = 60 fertiliser / day (60 ped)
60 ped / day = 180 USD / mo
20 LA = 3600 USD / mo

20 LA = 1 programmer / designer expences covered

100 LA = all MA programmers covered, other profits go to suited monekys :yay:

I.

Now you do the math :laugh:

You don't get any Swedish developers or designers for $3600/month though.. more like half of one... (when adding taxes etc too)

And I believe they have more then 5 of them? :)

i would mine/hunt on the new LA's if they offered something worth going for. It will be interesting as well to see what these LA's raise through auctioning if they are sold, especially in the current seemingly decining value on many things.

Isn't that the problem though. As I understand it owners cannot change what is found on their land only the spawn of mobs. So miners find what they would have found without an LA but pay tax ........

Where is thoose big EXAS ?! :scratch2:

hmm...

I just wish that they would have come with the opening up of more of Amethera, and not crammed into the current available play space.

Interesting that you all seem to think parts of Amethera should not be owned by anyone... To me, if this continent is suppossed to be like the real world, it should be like the real world... where each and every square inch of space is owned by someone... no areas in the continent would not be an LA. Actually, that's kind of what I envisioned it all being about when I first read about the landgrab, and I'm sort of curious if that isn't the ultimate goal?... And why not. There's plenty of space out there that still can be divided up.

Back