New Physics Engine

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
18 Sep 2006

New Physics Engine

Please note that the implementation of the PhysX engine does not require that particpants purchase the AGEIA PhysX Card. This update does however lay the foundation for extra physics features in the future which will benefit from the PhysX Card.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/en/rich/5377.html

This card is not a GFX card :)

Look, no plug on it; so keep your 7600GS and add this card... wait no, not needed ATM ;)

Any 1 else finding that their avatar now 'jumps' or moves eratically?
:confused:

Yep everyone is. Was in PA last nite after the VU. Everyone unhappy. MA need to roll it back i think.

What does the new enigne do? Walking? Movement?

http://www.ageia.com/physx/videos.html provided by recorda

After i saw the first video i'm looking forward to times when you will be able take a giant rock from ground with mindforce and throw it agains a critie or maybe throw those mob right away as they'll come near you like a true Jedi :)

and then fire a rocket at them from omegaton rocket launcher :D

I guess it will take some time, years.

Last edited:
This engine allows very cool stuff.

Here you can see bending metal and fluids
http://www.ageia.com/physx/tech_demos.html

Other things that the engine allows is real-life looking clothes and hair movement.

Clothes can even be shreded, but i better not give ideas to MA. :D

Among many other cool stuff, now it only depends on MA's will to do stuff as they seem to have a lot of inertia when it comes to get things done.

Also a virtual world like EU has some limits to what can be done within it's concept, like it would be cool to have destructible buildings, but them there won't be a world to live on :D

It all depends on how much groundbreaking MA want's to be, i hope they are willing to get to work and make news, not only because of the money but because on the software.

This physics effects use very heavy algorithms, so depending on what MA implements the card might come handy, as it takes the considerable amount of load created by this calculations from the main CPU freeing it to other tasks.

I'm also waiting to see the upgrades the other systems will get and if they will match this one. :thumbup:

Well MA
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??????
Since the last update, my avatar takes steps back before going forward and continues to do this while I am trying to run, creating a jerking action. After commencing run I take my finger off the key to stop but I keep running. You have to operate the tps now instaed of the map coming up auto when you run through them. My cursor is flickering whilst moving across the screen and disappears completely when I my mouse is inactive. The mobs are having epileptic fits.
Heaven knows what else is wrong, I simply log off in disgust so I haven't stayed on long enough to discover other problems created by the recent update and I have noticed while I have been on that other avatars are as disillusioned as I am with the new Physics Engine and the mess it has created in EU. This update has drastcally reduced the number of people logging on to EU at this present time.
How long will it take for you to fix these problems. Will you be fixing them or do you intend to lose all your citizens because you have made it so hard to do anything, even run.
I am taking the opportunity to tell you that I am unimpressed :mad: with this outcome and look forwrd to being able to return to EU shortly but until these issues are addressed I will not be doing so.
So please please fix this very soon.
regards Rayne

deamora said:
Any 1 else finding that their avatar now 'jumps' or moves eratically?
:confused:

The words "rubber banding" now have a totally new meaning to me :)

Um, guys, your missing something here.

Next time you fire up PE... look down the bottom.

THE 3D ENGINE IS STILL GAMEBRYO by NDL. the Ageia engine is phyisics and until they do something about obtaining a decent 3D engine, PE/EU will never look that good.

the games have to be written to use the API and card for it to have any effect. So as for the card.... there is little point in reading tech reviews on it because the game isnt written to use it at this point, nor does more than a handful of people in the world own said card. As far as i can tell, its not implemented at all yet.

@Rollo

Oblivion is "still" using Gamebryo as well. It doesnt look that "old", eh ? ;)

For the card...

last night at skype, I told venus about it...

He asked : "Maybe we can buy it at Trade Terminal soon?!"

the games have to be written to use the API and card for it to have any effect. So as for the card.... there is little point in reading tech reviews on it because the game isnt written to use it at this point, nor does more than a handful of people in the world own said card. As far as i can tell, its not implemented at all yet.

I fully understand there haven't been made any / much use out of it now in EU, but still its a nice review if you want to understand how it works, what it can do and what difference it made in other games.

McCormick said:
@Rollo

Oblivion is "still" using Gamebryo as well. It doesnt look that "old", eh ? ;)

For the card...

last night at skype, I told venus about it...

He asked : "Maybe we can buy it at Trade Terminal soon?!"

well they bare the same name, but you can`t compare the engine used in Unreal I with the one used in UT2004 :)

The unreal engine is modular...

...the 2nd version of it is still used in UT2400 (improved that is). But its still the "same" engine.

Gamebryo is getting improved as well. ^^
(Though you cant really compare Gamebryo 0.1b with todays version 2.2) ;)

But EU is not using Gamebryo at full capabillity.

Oblivion is using Gamebryo at a very high capabillity. :)

So EU could look way improved already...today... the engine is able do that.

But as always...only time will show ;)

Back