NEW - The AvaStar's Entropia site launched!

regisbraathens

Hatchling
Society
Freelancer
Regis AvaStar Braathens
The AvaStar, the leading online newspaper for Second Life and other virtual worlds, has launched an Entropia Universe site!

The AvaStar will be reporting daily on all the exciting news, business, fashion, and interesting stories from Entropia Universe.

The site is heavily user-generated - and The AvaStar is looking for bloggers and budding writers to get involved!

Check out the site at: the-avastar.com/metaverse/entropia/

I look forward to your feedback and hope that many of you will help us expand the Entropia site into a website of its own!

Best
Regis AvaStar Braathens

I wish every sucess for this project! I have been writing a few Entropia Articles for the Avastar recently and hope to continue doing so for this new site. Its highly professional and polished news channel IMHO ;)

I strongly recomend a read of the back issues for some exclusive news about cryengine, taming and creature AI from Magnus Erikkson.

I hope we can bring more of this sort of stories on the new site!

http://www.the-avastar.com/metaverse/entropia/

Although the Bild is the most controversial tabloid paper in Germany (also the biggest) this is really great news :yay:

18. Mar. 2008, 12:34

NEWS

MINDARK has launched a new gold card and reader scheme in an attempt to increase security.

Right, well that's nice to know...

Right, well that's nice to know...

In fairness, it is was a new scheme - that was when they started offering them free for people depositing 5k ped.

It does say new scheme, not that gold card were new.

I think we should be giving them a break, this is a new site who's owner has only just started to get to grips with a massive game. He has asked a few of us to help them out. I am all for a news site for our little corner of the metaverse. After all, readers of other MMORPS are their main readers, so essentially we are advertising to MMORPG players directly.

Personally i think it should be encouraged... not scorned.

It does say new scheme, not that gold card were new.

Guess it could be read that way, but it should have been written differently imo ;)

I'm not scorning it, it could bring in many new players, but I doubt it will have much interest for hardcore EF'ers except for exclusive stories.

It is a win/win situation for the companies involved, a big publisher want's to expand and looks for interesting topics, they find something, in this case EU, and publish a magazine about it and get's more readers, EU get's more players, and everybody are happy.

And in this situation we are actually lucky, because we already have a community to help with writing the stuff, usually with those big publishers, they publish something that only scrathes the surface of the topic, in Scandinavia we see it with the Swedish "Bonnier Publishing" and the Danish "Aller Press", they just spit out all sorts of magazines just because the topic has some interest, but the content of the magazines is hardly worth reading because they know nothing about the topic themselfes.

Hopefully the EU community can prevent that from happening in this case, by helping out.

hum.. looks nice

Although the Bild is the most controversial tabloid paper in Germany (also the biggest) this is really great news :yay:

That's quite an understatement :D
And we both know they even talked people into suicide to get some news.
That paper is as reliable as "The Sun" or "The Inquirer"...
Anyway...
As long as the page is not fabricated by them but only sponsor it might by ok.

And in this situation we are actually lucky, because we already have a community to help with writing the stuff, usually with those big publishers, they publish something that only scrathes the surface of the topic, in Scandinavia we see it with the Swedish "Bonnier Publishing" and the Danish "Aller Press", they just spit out all sorts of magazines just because the topic has some interest, but the content of the magazines is hardly worth reading because they know nothing about the topic themselfes.

Hopefully the EU community can prevent that from happening in this case, by helping out.

Yep, the guy organising it has actually been playing the game and learning it - obviously a long way to go, but its nice this isn't just one of those churned out publications.

The fact they are offering to pay for reporters inside the game is also a major plus point as it means they have people who know the game writing for them (the first few articles already on the site are more for filling purposes than examples of excellence in journilism :D - who wants to see an empty website!)

It has actually opened up another paid profession that requires no in game skills to make a profit.

Obviously my "reporter home" is here on the forum, but stuff thats not suitable for here I can provide to them. For example, the noob series I was originally writing for them, but I decided it was more suitable for here, so submitted it to Neo. My "slagging off" article of when they changed the Ambu regen and HP rate wasnt really suitable for front page here, so I published it with them.

Finally the two sides of Pinky both have homes! :D

PR 6, nice design, not bad.
However missing a ton of metaverses and the vote What is your favourite virtual world? is wrong, want to match no way mmo's and no other option. :scratch2:
Keep it up, I might will pick up some articles from there to my site if applies (with source of course, not stealing).

PS.: Neo mentioned on the Champions League prize giving ceremony that he will go to Germany to advertise EU there. As I can see AvaStar is also from Germany, is this the part of that plan or independent? :scratch2:

Last edited:
looks good, i think i'd like to write for it

Interesting read, and some nice exclusives :)

hmm, the site is certainly interesting, even has, of what i assume are preview screenshots of Crytopia in some of the interviews (edited out)

Last edited:
hmm, the site is certainly interesting, even has, of what i assume are preview screenshots of Crytopia in some of the interviews (new look of zychion for example...ofcourse i could comment on the picture, but i wont...see for yourself ;))

If you're referring to this article:
http://www.the-avastar.com/metavers...heaper/article/playing-entropia-to-cost-less/
Than it's not a new look of Zychion, it's a revival point near billy's if I'm correct, it has been there for over a year now.

some of the articles there :confused: seems like they have no idea what they are on about.

It's a good idea ..time will tell if it works out.

hmm, the site is certainly interesting, even has, of what i assume are preview screenshots of Crytopia in some of the interviews (new look of zychion for example...ofcourse i could comment on the picture, but i wont...see for yourself ;))

If Zychion will look repaired and futuristic in the CryVU, I will defenitly quit PE. ;p

If Zychion will look repaired and futuristic in the CryVU, I will defenitly quit PE. ;p

I highly doubt that was a picture with the Cryengine.
Also I would not trust completely what they write, as stated before "Bild" is a highly "controversial" (aka newsmaking, lying, twisting reality) paper.
And that "exclusive" interview about EU becoming cheaper...pfff!
If one hour costs me 0,50 $, the other 1,50$ than 1$ per hour is not cheaper :D

Would not trust that mag farther than I can throw an elephant!

Very encouraging.

Also I would not trust completely what they write, as stated before "Bild" is a highly "controversial" (aka newsmaking, lying, twisting reality) paper.

Perhaps reading the articles and the thread would help make a more informed decision... nowhere has the site claimed that is a cry engine picture, that was just someone in the thread assuming. I think he has simply used the wrong picture as he would not be familiar with what Zyachion looks like and that is not one of the pics i supplied for him

As far as the interview where magnus erikkson talks about MA trying to get the average price per player in entropia under better control, I was one of the people who did that interview. While the headline is somewhat sensationalizing the article, the intervew is 100% accurate, and Magnus' words have been reproduced 100%. Unless of course you are accusing me of lying...

I have already explained in this thread, the site is brand new and Regis (who started this thread) is very new to the game, and activly trying to learn it (he has a mentor and everything :D) The people writing the articles are participents in Entropia, just like you and me.

They are paying us to write these articles, but as Regis original thread recruiting reporters did not get a huge take up, there is less on the site at the moment than there will be.

By launching now and advertising it, more people should volunteer to write articles, making the site bigger and better all the time - without any influsense from "Bild". It is us making the articles, not some bloke in an office who has never played the game.

Last edited:
Anything that bring player to EU is great.
The problem still lie in the same place ....MA fail a lot to keep player because of the way they run the game.
But hell , its their business.

Sure, anything bringing new players to the game and press coverage is good.
And the headline is greatly misleading but fits my opinion of "Bild".
I am highly sceptical about anything that paper touches, they do anything to get a headline, really _anything_ .
Let's see how they will let you write or post your stuff unedited. (If you were German, you would understand why...)

Think you should ask Regis - send him a PM ;)

The AvaStar in EU

It's great to read your feedback and encouraging comments! :)

To give everyone an idea about where we come from and what we want to do: The AvaStar was started by Bild.de in Dec 2006 as an experiment with virtual worlds and user-generated content. The PDF-based newspaper about Second Life was around 75% user-generated, because that's the only way to get the best stories from the community. We also have an independent RL editorial staff who are in-world everyday. We produced 72 issues of the online newspaper and it was a fantastic success, especially because the readers got really involved.

We therefore decided to expand our horizons and look at other virtual worlds. Having been active in many virtual worlds, I found Entropia Universe by far the most dynamic, interesting and exciting and realised from a journalist's perspective, there was a wealth of great stories there. I'm still learning the ropes - I still keep getting stranded in random places (although finally got the TP chip), getting munched by Falxangius and having to call my mentor's soc to rescue me - but I'm getting there! :)

There are of course some good publications covering the world, and some excellent forums (obviously this one being the leading one). But there is no daily newspaper covering all aspects of the world, in the form of what we envision for Entropia. And we hope you will join us in setting that up. The aim is to make the Entropia section so strong, that it becomes a channel of it's own next to SL and Metaverse, rather than under metaverse.

Because we have a massive reach across SL residents but also in There and Kaneva, the site will no doubt attract more players to Entropia. In fact 12% of our SL-readers said they were interested in reading more about EU in a recent poll.

So I look forward to your feedback and suggestions and if you are interested in writing the odd article or on a more regular basis then please PM me here or email me at regis(at)the-avastar(dot)com

Otherwise just enjoy reading the site! I hope that we will soon be bringing lots of stories on a daily basis...

Oh, and just to clear up - no the pic was unfortunately not a cry engine pic (and it didn't say it is). I just picked it as representative pic of Entropia for the teaser!

Best
Regis

The AvaStar will be reporting daily on all the exciting news, business, fashion, and interesting stories from Entropia Universe.

July 3rd - ML35 price is now 23k ped

July 4th - ML35 price is now 34k ped

July 5th - ML35 price is now 54k ped

July 6th - ML35 price is now 15k ped

July 7th - ML35 price is now 27k ped

..... :D

The AvaStar, the leading online newspaper for Second Life and other virtual worlds, has launched an Entropia Universe site!

The site is heavily user-generated - and The AvaStar is looking for bloggers and budding writers to get involved!

Check out the site at: the-avastar.com/metaverse/entropia/

I look forward to your feedback and hope that many of you will help us expand the Entropia site into a website of its own!

Best
Regis AvaStar Braathens

Welcome the infamous German tabloid makers to Entropia. :D

No matter which world/game we use, and wherever we go, they'll be there. :eek:

BTW don't you want to get rid of all the SL topics on the Entropia part of the website? Or do you show EU related stuff on SL's sites of AvaStar too? Does Mindark like that kind of "product placement"? :scratch2:

It's not a picture with the cry engine...it's just parts of Second Life's new graphics (they have "windlight" instead of cryengine) copied into screenshots of EU. That fact somehow confirms what you wrote. Once a manipulator..always a manipulator? :D

Back