Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wollongong

Elite
Society
Odysseus Unbound
Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
Knowing that not one single disciple yet has graduated, that in the past most my time turns out to have been a total waste (they all quitted, not wanting to pay for this game)....

Knowing that I feel like doing something good again after this event (and something a bit cheaper)...

what do you think...

pick up a few newbies again, or not?

Do, but you should revise the tactic of the discipleship interview :). You should distinguish real devotees from casual players and make sure that they do fully understand what kind/genre of game they're going to play - so they wouldn't wonder a week later where are dragons and how to throw a fireball :cool:.

Out of my 30+ disciples only 8 never came back after few days, 14 successfully finished their discipleship and others firmly intends to do it, so I suppose I'm a good HR manager :silly2:. Oh, and I spend really damn lot of time with them, rushing to help at the first summons, no matter how busy I am at the moment.

Do, but you should revise the tactic of the discipleship interview

How would you suggest revising it?

(And I have read Alice's view on this, so no need to point me there :D)

Interesting division of votes, I am interested in the reason for your votes :)

that in the past most my time turns out to have been a total waste (they all quitted, not wanting to pay for this game)....

I voted no because of this. Mentoring in this game can be very frustrating. If you find that your time is being wasted with the newbies, then I suggest stop spending your time with them :)

I have had only one disciple graduate, and I knew him personally so it doesn't really count. :(

How would you suggest revising it?

I don't know how do you do it now, so have no idea what you should change, it's only your statistic that makes me think that something wrong, but maybe I'm just lucky :). I said before that I had 30+ disciples (and never kicked one or being kicked, except for a couple of scammers) but interviewed hundreds. Maybe I'm too picky, but I think it's better for the both parties to clear up all things from the start. I doubt that I can say anything special and probably most mentors do the same as me, but well...

I usually ask them what games they had played before and what they do expect from this one, how much time they usually spend playing. I wouldn't mind to mentor them even if they play only 1 hour on weekends, but the truth is that such casual gamers rarely returns on the next weekend. It's just not their kind of game, too complex, too much things to do and remember.

I prefer to be straightforward and if I have to ruin some rosy dreams, so be it. We all know that a large part of newcomers learned about EU from articles like a "Guy made a real fortune in the virtual universe" and we all know what's wrong with those articles. They aren't false but there are lots of nuances. Someone have to explain them those nuances. If the guy understands that he isn't going to get a jackpot anytime soon and that the fun is above all, no matter what you're doing, - it's my guy.

It doesn't matter for me if he's going or not to deposit, but I have to clarify for him that there is no such thing as "free play". If you don't deposit, you have to pay for the game with your time, with a lot of it, and in the end it turns out to be a lot more expensive. That's the thing that brings most disappointment for newcomers. I tell them what exactly to expect from sweating, with numbers and prices, and if they still decided to not deposit - no problem, but they've been warned. I have one disciple who keep sweating after almost a year in game. I doubt that he'll progress anywhere far soon and he knows it too, but he have fun, I buy his sweat and guard him on his infrequent mining runs and we have good talks :).

Such "interviews" usually took a lot of time (I usually take the guys on a tp run while talking, yet not making them disciples) and I have to admit that someone may decide to leave the game after all this info, but even if so, he does it today, peacefully thinking "not my kind of game" and going to search for another one, not a month later, going to post on every gaming forum how he was "scammed" by MA (just read what they post on youtube under every entropian video).

Ah, okay...

I usually do some of that during the first TP-run, which I already consider part of the mentoring :D

But the "popping of dreams"... yeah, I might wanna be more clear on that.

I voted yes. I am a disciple myself and i really enjoy being one. If you are willing to really help a new player don't let them discurage you. For example make a 1 week probation period. And then add the disciple to your list. Choose them carefully or even drop them if required. But don't stop from helping. I can't wait to have the knowledge to help other people ingame. I am doing this now but i can only help the noob people noobest than me :). I almost read all Entropedia and all forum posts :) and i have some info to start with.

So in concusion: accept more disciples.

My 2 pec's
Dalida

do not

what for U take a disciples? if U dont know - i havnt to take they ;) i agree Svarog - most impotant part - first talk. mentorin' is not tp-run and team-hunt. that's - explanation of kind of the eu. most of my candidates logoff forever after first day. they got info and made decision. a few - complete training and playin' now. i'm glad both of parts of result. first group - was not lost time and not was "scamed" (thanks svarog). second part - take a fun and make a good ties. that's nice, i thinkin' ;)

p.s. sorry for my english :ahh:

It seems that at least 50% of disciples do not come back after the first time. This must mean that they do not find the game interesting enough to come back a second time. This gives you two choices:
1. When you get a disciple spend just 5-10 minutes with them the first day and promise more when they come back.
2. Spend more time showing them the interestinf parts of the game

I have about 20 graduated, multiple without depositing.
Worth it ?

NO, gifts suck and it takes my prime time from skilling
I gave up since MA is not rewarding the way I want it ;)

Back