Newcomer's unofficial Guide to EU

Status

Jorael

Soul Keeper
Jaeon Jorael Shardoz
First, some slang and definitions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PED's = Currency in EU. 10 dollars = 100 Peds or 10000 pecs.
Global = reward over 50 peds.
HOF = reward that sticks in the daily Hall of Fame.
Uber = Reward above 1000 peds.
ATH = super reward. All Time High Hall of Fame.
TT = Trade Terminal, like a pawn shop.
ME = Mind Essence. Ammo for the brain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part I - First Steps

Welcome to Entropia Universe!

Entropia-Universe is not a "game", and should not be seen as one because:

- You can't save your progress, do something stupid and just reload the save.

- You are dealing with real people here. Some struggle with commands and language, but that doesnt mean they are to be treated with contempt or lack of respect... like you would do if they were "NPCs".

- You use real money to progress, as little as 1 ped, to as much as 1 million... or more. Money from someone else, or deposited by you. Either way, the money in circulation had to be deposited into the game by someone. Real money makes it serious.

- There are no "final bosses" or "end of game". All of us make the storyline as we interact with each other, wars and alliances rise and fall within societies, even romance can be found on Calypso..

- There is no limit to the level you can rise. No caps at 60/60 or whatever.

The true purpose of EU is to provide a place where you can spend quality time, and only you decide how high that quality time is, according to the money you are willing to spend inside. It is a world of interaction where miners provide the ores to crafters, who in turn craft items for hunters, like clothes, guns, armor, etc..

After you download the files....

1 - The first step after creating an account will be making your avatar.

I cant stress enough about this point! Spend time making your avatar, as its very hard to make changes to it later on in the game. You cant change your name, so dont be hasty, choose a nice nickname (not offensive, and not ALL CAPS).

Because if you become a serious player: As for appearance, we are talking hundreds of hours looking at the same character. So make it as best as possible to prevent spending money later on trying to fix what could of been done for free. And if you have a strange name like "anal" you will grow ashamed of it.

After almost a year of playing... I would have made things different had i known it before hand. Still, i was wise enough to put a nice nick, and spend time on my appearance.

You arrive into a brand new world, pulsating with creatures, filled with minerals.. and where opportunity awaits!

2 - Take time mastering the controls, dont accept invitations to join societies or becoming a disciple just yet. For even the most hardcore gamers, it should a bit hard to get used to the HUD. I remember i was near quitting in the first 5 minutes of play, because of the controls. Be patient, try and try again, and you will get the hang of it. Dont hesitate to ask questions once you arrive, because everyone does. Everyone has to be a noob at some point :D

So what can you do?

3 - Explore. Enter the buildings, interact with the terminals to see how they work. And once you master the basic controls, then its time to find someone that is willing to show you around. Be careful who you choose though. I wouldnt trust someone called "MASTER L33T PWNS" for example. Usually, the real mentors are willing to give you their knowledge, and tell you the truth about the system. Just dont expect them to give you items, because many of them (including myself) have been scammed before, by disciples that "harvest" items and never show up again. So, everyone ends up paying.

The market is like a jungle, things cost money... but if you choose to see your purchases as an investment... you may double your money in just a few months. Sometimes less. To give you an example, some items were being bought and sold for 2.000 dollars 8 months ago... and now their value has risen to 10.000 dollars, with guaranteed buyers.

Time to make a decision. Are you willing to invest? Or just want to socialize? Its up to you. If you decide to invest... keep reading :)

4 - There are several ways to deposit money inside the game. Check them all out in the deposit section on the main page. After you deposit, be wary though, as several people might want to trick you into buying stuff overpriced. Its best for you to study the market, analyse the categories of items, what they do, what they are needed for, and how their value behaves along the way. There are also several sites on the web with market prices history. Some links to them can be found on this forum. Search them up.

Now that you got cash, a whole new world of fun opens in front of you!

5 - Your avatar gains skills in almost everything he does. Those skills are worth money, so its wise to train them as high as possible. The skills are divided into categories and you can see them if you press "K" for avatar info.

The main areas of activity in Entropia are:

- Hunting
- Mining
- Crafting
- Trading

There are others, like plastic surgeon, or colorer, but my advice is for you to stick to a main area until you really know the system. Otherwise you might invest in items and skills that are not in a rising stance towards the market, hence.. you lose cash.

It is important to mention that almost every item on Entropia Universe decays with use. Each time you heal yourself with a kit, it will cost you a few tenths of a cent. The same goes for weapons. Each time you fire a shot, the gun decays a little, until its broke and needs to be fixed. To fix an item, just head to a green terminal called Repair Terminal, and drag and drop the item you want to fix.

Even if you are familiar with these areas from other MMORPG's, it should be best to join a society or finding a mentor (when you are ready). They will teach you how to hunt, mine and craft.. Which can save you ALOT of money.

Each one of them is like an art, and as such, it has to be mastered.

First you crawl, then walk, and end up running...

6 - For those who intend to stay, dedication and patience is key. You cant be born and run immediatly. Even with the best guns and armor, if you dont have the skills... its not worth hunting the bigger creatures, because you spend 1 dollar to kill a big creature, while a skilled player spends just 10 cents. You may want to do it anyway at a later stage... because a) its fun and exciting, b) you want to fit in. Luck can be on your side, but 90% of the time it will just cost you money.

Same goes for mining and crafting, especially crafting. Personally i craft very little, as from the main professions its the one with biggest investment requirements. You can easily lose 1000 dollars in a few clicks if you dont know what you are doing, or dont have the skills for what you are crafting.

Mining is the only profession that should be noob-friendly and doesnt require anything special to perform. You grab a finder and an extractor, bombs/probes, and go around the world dropping them searching for deposits.
One lucky bomb and you can find up to 16000 dollars worth of minerals...

Again, its very important you learn from others, so you dont make the same mistakes they have. And believe me... some players have lost bigtime, because they tried to run when it was time to walk. So be careful in the decisions you make, get all the information as possible before trying anything expensive, for your own protection.

Some tips you should follow...

- Dont spam the chat when you are trying to sell something. Refrain yourself from CAPS and swearing, as the community here is older then most MMORPG's with ages range from 18 ~ 60+ years old. They wont tolerate childish behavior, neither they should.

- Respect others even if they sometimes abuse the system. Give them a warning, and dont enter a personal war. Its not worth it. Its because of respect this place has a great community. Do to others what you want others to do to you.

- You may notice that as you progress, certain attitudes that at first seemed normal and non-offensive, will become the opposite.. Like standing around in "sexy pose" with a male avatar.. Its fun in the beggining, but you don't see the veterans doing it, ever. The same effect happens with clothes, but the other way around. First you look at them and laugh at the price, and later on, you look at them and say: "hmmm i think im gonna buy some..." If this happens, take it as a good sign.. :cool:

- Reselling items inside Entropia is an option, but only a few people consider it a positive thing. It may seem harmless at first, but it causes damage in the bigger picture. Because reselling spikes prices to extreme high prices... which in turn prevents the regular player to buy better gear. This forces the player to sell his own for a higher price then usual just to be able to afford what he needs. So in the end, everyone loses.

- Dont steal other people's mobs. It sometimes happens by accident, and if it does, just say sorry. Its not the end of the world.. but some people get really pissed with it. Especially if you are hunting aurli's (one of the favorites).

- Have fun, be patient, and if things are not working out for you.. take a break. Breaks really do wonders. (my case).

PART II - The Works

So you are eager to become a hunter, maybe a miner or a crafter.. Here's some directions to help you out...

Hunting

When hunting creatures, you get rewards as you kill them. This is the so called "loot". Just press a dead creature twice to loot it.

But first, you need to decide which kind of hunter are you. Are you a pistoleer, a sniper or a swordsman? Do you like to tank or shoot from a distance? Experience tells me the best to begin with should be sniper, because you can save money in decays. You tend to get hit less, meaning you need to fap less, and armors also are saved from hits. There are theories however that say it doesnt really matter, because the money you spend ends up coming back in loots. But thats not confirmed, and only a theory.

Trade Terminal = TT | also used as a reference to the base value of an item.

First gun you should get is an Opalo, its under weapon categories on the TT. Grab 10 ped worth of med cell ammunition and you are ready to shoot some critters. Look for snablesnot's, exarosaurs and daikiba youngs as they are easy to kill and give nice loot. Keep doing this until you are familiar with hunting.

Don't forget to take a First Aid Pack with you to heal yourself when hit. And DON'T buy the armor from the TT. It only decays and offers no protection at all. Anyone that has been around for a while will tell you the same thing.

After your first kills, you should have looted some cash, wools and hides, maybe some armor. Keep the items you loot, as the wools and hides have a nice % on them. If you have a pile of 40 peds of "animal hide", at current 240%, it will earn you 96 peds. So it always pays off to save all items instead of just dropping them in the Trade Terminal to buy more ammunition. You may feel tempted to do it, but always try to think in the long run.

Another popular style of hunting instead of the rifle Opalo, is the Axe 1x0. You can't find these in the Trade Terminal, only in auction. To go to the auction, enter one of those circular buildings and look for a man behind a balcony called auctioneer. Double click him to access to the categories.
It is a nice weapon to use, the only problem is that it decays fast. So you will need several of them to make a hunt last a while. After they break, don't forget to repair them on the Repair Terminal.

Meanwhile, its likely you have found a mentor or a society that will help you grow stronger and more effective. They will tell you what equipment you should get once you reach certain stages in your path. Just don't go out hunting too much on your own, or else you will get your skills too high to be accepted by a mentor.

Order of Maturities = Young, Mature, Old, Provider, Guardian, Dominant, Alpha, Old Alpha, Prowler, Stalker, Elite, Marauder.

ATTENTION: Whenever you loot an item, ALWAYS check its value on the auction / sales history to see how much its worth. Otherwise, you may have looted a very expensive item and end up selling it for a very low price.

Mining

Mining is not for everybody. You need patience and it has little action compared to hunting. But its the only profession where a newcomer has the chance to score several thousand dollars. It wouldnt be fair for the older players if this happened with hunting or crafting, but in mining, it is accepted. You dont need to be skilled or a professional to find a huge lump of gold in real life. Just lucky. The same happens in Entropia.

However, skills do matter, as without them you wont be able to find the rarest ores. The rare ores are then used to craft rare items that are worth a lot of money.

To mine all you gotta do is direct yourself to the TT. Then you need to chose what to mine. Either Ore or EnMatter, or both. Each type needs its own equipment. Take a Detectonator and an Excavator, grab some bombs or probes (bombs for Ore, probes for EnMatter) run outside the city or camp, equip your detectonator and start dropping some bombs. Just fire away.

Its a simple system. You fire your detectonator, wait for a panel to appear, and check for resources found. If no resource is found, make some distance from when you dropped your last bomb (usually a few seconds appart) and drop another one. Eventually you will find your 1st deposit! Now, it should be some distance away from you, so keep the detectonator equipped and head where the arrow points to. When in top on the spot, wait until a little claim appears.

Then its time to drill that ore out. Equip your Excavator and point it at the claim that's floating. Fire away to drill the ore. Once its depleted, continue with your mining trip. Once you run out of bombs its time to refine.

Found on TT under manufacturing, you have refiners for ores, enmatters and natural materials, which are used to make items out of raw materials. In this case you will be making ingots. Equip the refiner, drag the raw stones in the window that appears and press refine. Easy.

Now comes another decision. Should you try and sell your ores right away? Or should you stock up as much as possible and sell them all later on for a bigger profit? It depends on the money you used and how much you have left to keep playing, but its usually best to stack ores and sell in bigger piles.

To sell your ores or any material you get from loot, either try the street market or the auction. The reason i advised you to stack ores, is that in the auction, it will take you 1 ped to create a new sale. So if you got 5 peds of ore that are worth 120%, and you spend 1 ped to create a sale, then you profit nothing. Stack 50 ped of that same ore, and you profit 9 peds. :)

Crafting

This is the field i am less familiar with, because as i said, it takes a bigger investment then other areas of activity.

While you explore this new world, you will see some machines scattered around inside the buildings. Each one labeled according to what kind of crafting you want to do, from clothes to weapons, and others.

To craft, you need blueprints. And you need books to put those blueprints on. So, you have to search for a technician, usually on the same rooms as the auctioneer. The technician sells books and the starting basic blueprints.

A good start should be armor. So grab yourself an Armor Book, and the blueprints for settler parts. Each blueprint has requirements to be crafted, usually some ores and enmatter together. Use your mining finds to craft these, or buy the materials from auction.

So, you double click a machine, then your inventory will open. Press the book to open it, and then double click the blueprint you want to use. It will be loaded into the machine. In this case, we will be crafting settler shin guards, so take some iron and some lysterium, and drag them to the crafting window.

Just press manufacture... and there you go!

You will get residues from the process, keep them and sell them with a % to minimize losses, or use it to make your items have a higher condition value.

If you are lucky, sometimes the machines tend to "screw up" and spill out precious stones with your crafted material. Some of these stones are worth 500 peds, like diamonds. You never know when the machines screw up, so keep crafting ;)

Since you are crafting equipment no one uses (settler armor), there's no use trying to sell it in the auction or in the street. Use the TT to exchange your crafted armor back into peds.

Higher equipment and better armor will take expensive ores to make, but since they are sold for a higher price then just its base value, its worth the risk. Crafting and mining are partners - if the price of a crafted item rises, so will the price of the ores, and vice versa.

Don't forget that you are gaining skills while hunting/mining/crafting. The skills can be extracted into chips and sold for money, so in this case, crafting crap armor/equipment is not as foolish as it seems.

When you start crafting higher level items, make sure the prices correspond to the current value in the market. Or your crafts will be bought and immediatly put back in auction at a higher price by a reseller.

Some other useful information.

Mindforce

Mindforce is a luxury that once you start using, you won't be able to live without it. Especially if you hunt a lot / mine remote locations. It works easily.
Mindforce consists in having an implant inside your brain that allows you to use certain "chips". Those chips are then fed by something called "Mind Essence" (a mix of Sweat and Force Nexus). ME isn't exactly expensive, but if you use it a lot, you can easily spend about 30 peds of it per day.

The most popular MF chip is the "Lesser Teleport Chip". Everyone can use, and it is a very handy tool. To use one you need 4 things. First go to the TT, open Tools and scroll down to Surgical. Then get a Pay-Inc Implant Inserter, and a Aa Mindforce Implant. Then equip the Implant Inserter, drag the Aa implant and drag it into a slot. Press insert. This will allow you to use Mindorce Chips.

Then you need a Lesser Teleport Chip and some ME. Get those in auction. A Lesser TP goes for TT+20 max, and ME is about 310%. Got them? Good. Now go outside if you are inside a building.

Drag the Lesser TP chip into your quickslot. Press it to equip. Fire it. A map will appear with a bright radius around your location. Choose a location inside the radius you want to teleport to. Press the triangle button in the map, and there you go.

Skill Implants

Skill implants are a wonderful thing. But they will cost you money. How do they work? Well, they are like portable, consumable experience. As you progress into the game, you might want to sell the skills you've acquired.. Either because you've decided to do something different, or just need the cash.

When you buy a skill chip, its like your uploading someone else's knowledge to yourself. Like the Immortal series. Its actually fun, but pricey. If you are new and just finished your mentorship, i recommend 2 chips.

One of them is First Aid. The difference of implanting one chip will be enormous. Why? Because with only 1 chip, you will be able to do 9/10 max heals, making your fapping a lot more reliable and in the long term, cheaper!

The other one is Evade. The difference won't be as noticeable as the First Aid chip, but still, you will get hit less, which means = Survive more, pay less decays and being able to tackle bigger mobs. =)

Some people are against chipping, they say its like cheating... Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and i have to admit that doing it oldschool style is a lot tougher, but that also means: gaining First Aid naturally without chipping will make your life a lot more difficult for the opposite reasons of those stated above.

A full chip will have a value of TT = 0.99 ped

To insert skill: Get a chip of your liking, equip and fire the pay-inc implanter, drag the chip onto the slot, press insert and its done. Easy! Just dont forget that the ammount of skill gained will reduce drastically. First chip you insert will give you about 1850 xp if you have 0 skill in that kind. The more skilled you are, the less you gain from each chip. Right now, i gain about 44 xp's per each chip in rifle skill.

To extract skill: Get an Empty Skill Implant, use the Pay-inc implanter to insert it and then "download" your skill onto it. Finally, after the download into the chip is complete, you extract it and sell it. Depending on how full it is, its value goes up. Ask around if you still have doubts and want to sell skills. People will help you, as this place has a great community.

Finally...

Some important thing that you should never forget:

- It will be impossible to catch up with some of the veterans, but that doesn't mean you can't beat them. EU is dynamic in many ways.

- Sometimes you will see people / teams get several globals and Halls of Fame in a row. You will feel frustrated and angry, but think about this:

Those players are most likely hunting the bigger creatures that normally only give loot back in big packs (hof's and globals) instead of the regular 2-3 peds per kill. The reason they hunt them is that the bigger the creature, the better the prize you can get. Also there is a bigger risk of loosing a lot of money, as if you dont get the big pack, you return naked.

- The smaller creatures tend to give out the costs of your spendings as you go along killing them, so its normal you dont get a big pack easily.

- You might end up cursing everyone that gets an uberloot. But they probably deserved it. 90% of the cases, we are talking big spenders, and 24/7 players.

- Be happy if you constantly get your spendings back, as a lot of players don't. There's no need to be greedy. EU is meant for quality time spending, and not making money like its some kind of job.

- No matter how many theories you come up with, formulas and equations to try and explain loot... Its all based on luck!

I hope that was useful, see you inside.

Jor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Back