No more booze

"but without the damage to brain cells or a user’s liver"

As an unintended and unforeseen consequence, your balls will shrivel and drop. Always there is a catch with this synthetic stuff.

"but without the damage to brain cells or a user’s liver"

As an unintended and unforeseen consequence, your balls will shrivel and drop. Always there is a catch with this synthetic stuff.

I can live with that ;)

and what would be the point of that? if you wanted to drink without the hang over, just stick to a decent brand vodka and you get that effect. the claims seem largly bogus anyway, liver damage is from processing too much of the alcohol, dont see how a synthetic version would be different.

now a pill to kill the hangover or even the think head, that would be a step forward for science and man kind.

Yeah, will be just as good as my Stella, or glass of Chablis, or Goose citrus.

Nah, I'll stick to drinking :girl:

You sure this is not a prank, as the the researcher is called "Professor Nutt" :dunce:

Against hangover my recipes are:

- vitamin B, read this somewhere, dunno if it works tho

- Steady fatty meal be4 party, helps soak up all that poison, downside makes you able to you drink more

- Drinking lots of water be4 going to sleep, this I miss a lot due to being to drunk

- Being young, seemed sooo much easier on the body when I was young, where did I park that darn DeLorean?

I don't drink much these days.

It's not the toxins that bothered me, it was the circulating photos of me dancing naked on bar tables that had to stop.

Rick

Sounds to dangerous and probably has side effects we find out about in years to come.. I'm gonna stick to heroin for now see how it pans out.

Sounds to dangerous and probably has side effects we find out about in years to come.. I'm gonna stick to heroin for now see how it pans out.

LOL...fell off a few tables. You couldn't do it these days. In the 90's anything was ok if you had enough front. Always was worried to become a politician in case pics came out of the woodwork.

Still with age comes wisdom.

We actually hunger for surprise as human beings, it's what excites us. If control and order ruled with no surprises in life, human beings simply would not accept it...or be extremely unhappy. Why bother then to build a sense of idealology...live and let live.

Dancing naked on tables would still be fun though...lol.

Rick

You sure this is not a prank, as the the researcher is called "Professor Nutt" :dunce:

Against hangover my recipes are:

- vitamin B, read this somewhere, dunno if it works tho

- Steady fatty meal be4 party, helps soak up all that poison, downside makes you able to you drink more

- Drinking lots of water be4 going to sleep, this I miss a lot due to being to drunk

- Being young, seemed sooo much easier on the body when I was young, where did I park that darn DeLorean?

add some acetyl cysteine next time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cysteine#Reducing_toxic_effects_of_alcohol

vitamin B12 is found in Beer yeast and is a common ingredient many hangover medicines. If you drink home brewed beer which is not filtered(has the yeast in the bottle), you will find you don't get a hangover like you can with commercial filtered beer.

I cannot tell if this article is published by the same person, as the link in op is not currently working.

Professor David Nutt, was a scientific advisor to the UK government. His department produced data regarding the effects of various drugs on the body/society, to the effect that alcohol/tobacco should be re-classified as class 'A' drugs (usually reserved for the likes of street drugs) due to their relative impact on body/society compared to 'street' drugs.

After UK drug law was reviewed without any relevance to the data of the official scientific data provided to the government by their own scientific advisors, and rather inline with their commonly (mis)percieved effects, politics being what it is. He left to independently pursue research in the area.

The situation of government advisors not providing scientific data which followed the desired government line was a case of much debate at the time, Prof. Nutt, was only one of many disgruntled advisors, but probably the most well known, due to his politically devisive research.

The war against drugs is a very difficult subject, and it is not surprising that scientific research into this area is constantly subjected to much negative pressure. Especially when the data can suggest substantial income harming evidence. Both corporate and 'taxable'. On the other hand, the effects of any drug can be harmful, so it is not to say that one drug is better than the other, rather which is worse than the other.

I cannot tell if this article is published by the same person, as the link in op is not currently working.

Professor David Nutt, was a scientific advisor to the UK government. His department produced data regarding the effects of various drugs on the body/society, to the effect that alcohol/tobacco should be re-classified as class 'A' drugs (usually reserved for the likes of street drugs) due to their relative impact on body/society compared to 'street' drugs.

After UK drug law was reviewed without any relevance to the data of the official scientific data provided to the government by their own scientific advisors, and rather inline with their commonly (mis)percieved effects, politics being what it is. He left to independently pursue research in the area.

The situation of government advisors not providing scientific data which followed the desired government line was a case of much debate at the time, Prof. Nutt, was only one of many disgruntled advisors, but probably the most well known, due to his politically devisive research.

The war against drugs is a very difficult subject, and it is not surprising that scientific research into this area is constantly subjected to much negative pressure. Especially when the data can suggest substantial income harming evidence. Both corporate and 'taxable'. On the other hand, the effects of any drug can be harmful, so it is not to say that one drug is better than the other, rather which is worse than the other.

Additionally, his research was entirely biased towards the cost effect of dealing with alcohol / tobacco - if one were to look at a single dosage, both alcohol and tobacco fall rapidly compared to current class A drugs; the fact that a very high proportion of adults drink alcohol, and a significant proportion smoke, is obviously going to skew the costs of dealing with the problem (what if the same percentage of adults, for example, regularly took cocaine?).

There is no empirical evidence for increased dosages of A narcotics, due to them being illegal. I think we can all agree that it's more dangerous to be taking a single dose of heroin, cocaine, meth, or crack than a single dose of alcohol.

Finally the fact that alcohol could never be classed as a drug (it does not work as a drug, it has a completely different action to the body than that of a drug) means either he was talking out of his poo chute or his words were misinterpreted...

Either way, it's definitely best that we don't go back to 1920s US prohibition, isn't it :girl:

There is no empirical evidence for increased dosages of A narcotics, due to them being illegal. I think we can all agree that it's more dangerous to be taking a single dose of heroin, cocaine, meth, or crack than a single dose of alcohol.

Finally the fact that alcohol could never be classed as a drug (it does not work as a drug, it has a completely different action to the body than that of a drug) means either he was talking out of his poo chute or his words were misinterpreted...

Either way, it's definitely best that we don't go back to 1920s US prohibition, isn't it :girl:

actually, taking a single "dose" of any of them is no more dangerous than a drink. its only the level of addiction, which various from person to persion, and the impurity of the street narcotics that make them really dangerous. im not advocating, but bear in mind heroin like compounds are prescribed medicines, and many people (more than you probably think) have a casual cocaine "habit".

theres quite alot of evidence about class A, i recall a major research peice by Nutt described the incidence of injury and death to a pasttime and contrasted to that of ecstacy. the past time was horse riding which per population was far more dangerous.

Last edited:
Alcohol is a drug, is a central nervous system depressant and that is why is so popular, people are less self-conscious under the influence of it and thus can enjoy themselves "better".

....and bring on the prohibition, i know how to make wine. :silly2:
:tongue2:

One less noted side effect of alcohol is that drink enough and you might wake to find yourself duct taped naked like Jesus to a (note: hopefully your own) bed

Last edited:
actually, taking a single "dose" of any of them is no more dangerous than a drink. its only the level of addiction, which various from person to persion, and the impurity of the street narcotics that make them really dangerous. im not advocating, but bear in mind heroin like compounds are prescribed medicines, and many people (more than you probably think) have a casual cocaine "habit".

theres quite alot of evidence about class A, i recall a major research peice by Nutt described the incidence of injury and death to a pasttime and contrasted to that of ecstacy. the past time was horse riding which per population was far more dangerous.

I've taken cocaine, mdma, speed and a few others.. Wouldn't recommend them. My pals who habitually take them have definitely altered mentally more than anyone I know who drinks.

I also work for the pharma company which makes Suboxone (bupenorphrine + naloxone, its a branded heroin replacement), actually they make it in the production facility down the hall from the laboratory where I work. I'm well aware of the medicinal uses of various drugs - and the dangers of. For example, we recently changed a formulation in another of our products where it turns out the active bacteriocide was a suspected contributor to the formation of Reyes syndrome in infants. This same product has lidocaine hcl in it, well known analgesic and cocaine degredation product, at the 0.5% present in our compound it is numbing - pure it will cause heart arrythmias.

I would seriously recommend those who advocate drinking or smoking as worse than heroin as truly fucking mental. It is not just the addictive qualities. The body damage from drug abuse is just as crippling, people seem to forget this when comparing to "legal drugs" such as booze.

For this guy to be comparing horseriding and mdma.. dear me. Go to a music festival, and then to a showjumping event or a race meet. You tell me which is the more healthy. Statistical data is moronic when you can pick and choose the statistics. There's still people who believe no-one has ever died from a direct consequence of mdma "Its just the DNP impurities!!". Bullshit.

Alcohol is a drug, is a central nervous system depressant and that is why is so popular, people are less self-conscious under the influence of it and thus can enjoy themselves "better".

....and bring on the prohibition, i know how to make wine. :silly2:
:tongue2:

This is repeated far too often. It's not. It does not act in the same way as a drug, it's actually far more complex and incredibly misunderstood. Simply put, the alcohol affects you as a person due to its solvent properties rather than any "drug" properties - this is using the word "drug" in the sense of, say, THC affecting receptors when smoking weed or the like.

Last edited:
... My pals who habitually take them have definitely altered mentally more than anyone I know who drinks.

but now your changing the context to habit, before you said single dose.

For this guy to be comparing horseriding and mdma.. dear me. Go to a music festival, and then to a showjumping event or a race meet. You tell me which is the more healthy. Statistical data is moronic when you can pick and choose the statistics. There's still people who believe no-one has ever died from a direct consequence of mdma "Its just the DNP impurities!!". Bullshit.

im the first to poke fun and holes in stats. he wasnt advocating to be clear, his general position was there needs to be grown up debate and rational research. he was comparing incident of injury or fatalities in two groups: it was a simple matter of fact that per 1000 horse riders there were more than per 1000 E users. your reaction is why something so mundane was chosen, to highlight the irrational nature of the debate (the article hides the objects of the research iirc). his point, the fundemental point thats always ignored, is that theres risk and danger in everything we do, but we have decided one particular activity be deemed so dangerous we have to be protected from so made illegal, despite no real rational evidence that it s any more dangerous. we ban it through fear of it, because it changes mind state, not because of the actual consequence of that. and from this, an unintend consequence of illegality has been to create crime syndicates and far worse personal and societial damage than that which we are protected from. the comparison to alcohol is weak, except when considering those who take it to an unhealthy habit of course).

vitamin B12 is found in Beer yeast and is a common ingredient many hangover medicines. If you drink home brewed beer which is not filtered(has the yeast in the bottle), you will find you don't get a hangover like you can with commercial filtered beer.

not just the yeast, there's another B (B6?) and some minerals in barley that help, that get filtered out. Ales are far less hangover inducing than lagers because of this. theres factors involved with chemicals from certain hops too, so some lagers can be worse than others. salts and fats are good for replacing those lost because you flushed through so much liquid as i understand it. best remedy from a heavy session: lucazade sport and a bacon sandwich (dont understand full fry ups, too far). oh, and a hair of the dog (unless that dog was sambuca, tequlia or similar :silly2:)

but we have decided one particular activity be deemed so dangerous we have to be protected from so made illegal, despite no real rational evidence that it s any more dangerous. we ban it through fear of it, because it changes mind state, not because of the actual consequence of that. and from this, an unintend consequence of illegality has been to create crime syndicates and far worse personal and societial damage than that which we are protected from.

Well said, only one small thing I would like to point out, you say "we ban it through fear of it" and I would like to beg to differ as it is not the masses that make those decisions and never have been.

I do believe that heavy alcohol usage has a much larger impact on society than all hard drugs combined (emphasis on usage, not production), hard drugs meaning basically everything (even pharmaceutical) except perhaps weed, tobacco. Would love to go deeper into this subject but afraid that would not be allowed on this forum.

Last edited:
not just the yeast, there's another B (B6?) and some minerals in barley that help, that get filtered out. Ales are far less hangover inducing than lagers because of this. theres factors involved with chemicals from certain hops too, so some lagers can be worse than others. salts and fats are good for replacing those lost because you flushed through so much liquid as i understand it. best remedy from a heavy session: lucazade sport and a bacon sandwich (dont understand full fry ups, too far). oh, and a hair of the dog (unless that dog was sambuca, tequlia or similar :silly2:)

Dunno about that filter part, nowadays its very trendy with beers from micro breweries and most of the lagers are unfiltered combined with a higher alcohol percentage than usual. Still got heavy problems the next day. Actually remembered another probably well known remedy, friend and I called it mediterranean breakfast, small beer (half pint, usually lager) and espresso (sometimes a second round was needed, but never a third), well proved during several summers sailing in Adriatic.

Last edited:
Back