noob question on mining

Replicant

Hatchling
Hi, I just started the game a week ago, and I tried mining a bit. Of course I didn't find much but I got an idea I wanted to know if experienced miners would tell me if it is wrong or right.

I started with the TT tool and switched yesterday with the 101. However, I never found any ore on Amethera, and also I very rarely found ore or EnMatter far of cities.

So I was wondering this : could it be that a noob like me should stick around cities because the ore is on low depths there and when I become better and equipped with better tools and get better skills I can go mine further from cities and finally on Amethera? Or I am totally wrong? Because I really got *nothing* on Amethera, so I suppose stuff is at lower depths I can't reach.

Any comment?

it doesn't really matter what equipment u use in terms of "with TT i find nothing, with 105 series I find always". maybe them make differences in sizes, in type of ores, etc, but u should be able to do ok with tt, and 101 was THE thing for me at its time.

now, follow some basic rules:

- if in the same radar space with u there is another miner, go away from there. chances are u'll find zero

- put bombs/probes at 50 meters distance one from another if u mine in a straight line or at 70-100 meters (measured straight) if u mine in Z.

- if u have like 3-4 bombs and no resources, change the area, run several minutes, try again

- avoid areas with mobs you can't kill, mining there can be expensive, influenced by defending costs

- if while mining, u meet other players, ask them if they mined the direction u're going to, u might save some peds

- if u find 2-3 hits one after another, is useful to carpet bomb the area (70 meters in all directions from the deposit)

- from time to time or always, double bomb. meaning if u found a claim, put a bomb at its base, u might have another deposit in same bomb range

- try both ore mining and en matter, them might have different results, for me en-matter is a disaster, with ores i can survive

good luck!

p.s.: always, if u meet other miners, ask politely if they have any advices for u. if some of them seem only philosophical, don't be angry. one of the top miners of the game, told me, when I was a little newbie (now I am a medium newbie :p), that "a good area is not an area where you get hof, but where you don't loose peds"

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips Kerham!

Do you think that the fact I didn't find anything on Amethera was due to colossal bad luck?

Cause there was nobody where I tried, I thought it was due either to my low skills or my tools...

As I said, the only places where I found something was at cities or just around (with one exception).

Replicant said:
Thank you for the tips Kerham!

Do you think that the fact I didn't find anything on Amethera was due to colossal bad luck?

Cause there was nobody where I tried, I thought it was due either to my low skills or my tools...

As I said, the only places where I found something was at cities or just around (with one exception).

Did u cover a wide enough area on Amathera? Ya know, that continent is bigger, so u must be patient.....finds are there too!

Well I have searched when I was running for the TPs, I tried many times on the western islands (specially the one that have 2% taxes^^) and a bit around Sakura City.

I found this odd since there a fewer people on Amethera and there are taxes, so I thought I should find something more easily. So the idea ore was deeper in the ground came to my mind^^.

Kerham said:
it doesn't really matter what equipment u use in terms of "with TT i find nothing, with 105 series I find always". maybe them make differences in sizes, in type of ores, etc, but u should be able to do ok with tt, and 101 was THE thing for me at its time.

now, follow some basic rules:

- if in the same radar space with u there is another miner, go away from there. chances are u'll find zero

- put bombs/probes at 50 meters distance one from another if u mine in a straight line or at 70-100 meters (measured straight) if u mine in Z.

- if u have like 3-4 bombs and no resources, change the area, run several minutes, try again

- avoid areas with mobs you can't kill, mining there can be expensive, influenced by defending costs

- if while mining, u meet other players, ask them if they mined the direction u're going to, u might save some peds

- if u find 2-3 hits one after another, is useful to carpet bomb the area (70 meters in all directions from the deposit)

- from time to time or always, double bomb. meaning if u found a claim, put a bomb at its base, u might have another deposit in same bomb range

- try both ore mining and en matter, them might have different results, for me en-matter is a disaster, with ores i can survive

good luck!

p.s.: always, if u meet other miners, ask politely if they have any advices for u. if some of them seem only philosophical, don't be angry. one of the top miners of the game, told me, when I was a little newbie (now I am a medium newbie :p), that "a good area is not an area where you get hof, but where you don't loose peds"

only one thingie to add: the distance for "carpet bombing" is irellevant (as for me). Found several deposits at less than 5m from the first claim, others at more than 50. So bomb at your pleasure. Skill gain should be your target and finding good areas. And don`t listen to Kerham whatever you do(his credit-card allows him to do some crazy things you maybe won`t be able to). :tongue2:

Panther said:
only one thingie to add: the distance for "carpet bombing" is irellevant (as for me). Found several deposits at less than 5m from the first claim, others at more than 50

that is why i said to both bomb the base of the claim and at 70 meters.

if u consider that the range of the detector is 50 meters, and u do a grapgical representation, u will find that bombing the claim and at 70 meters in N S W E NE SE SW NW ensure a complete cover of the area. of course, this implies more expanses than bombing randomly.

is exactly aat your choice.

regarding that u didn't found anything in Amthera, well, as Sharyn said, Amethera IS huge :) mabe other miners were there before u. maybe u came between the spawning time. these facts u will understand through experience and those make the difference between a circumstancial miner and a pro.

and DON'T forget. THERE ARE areas where u can find exactly 0. That is why u need to prospect and find good areas. Where good areas means 1 hit every 1-2 bombs, at average sizes as "modest" and "average".

Back