Norwegian bought moon for 150,000 USD

Boo, I can't read that :(
Is it the player called Norwegian? Or actually someone from Norway?

Ahh....Akoz (yes I have been under a rock and did not know)

Last edited:
I'm an old fart, so I cannot be bothered with links that lead to scandinavian language articles, make the translation and post it here in English (the only official language of this forum) or who gives a fuck what it says.

What? Too harsh? Ask me if I care! :scratch2:

This looks more like hell then Hell. :D

Non-Google Translate version here:

Norwegian man bought moon for 150 000 dollars

- I see it as an investment.

(PressFire.no): With his two partners, Jan Terje Egeland have secured himself a moon. It was auctioned off to the sum of 150 000 dollars - about 900 000 Norwegian crowns (norwegian currency.)

We aren't talking a ball of rock and metal that circuits the earth or Jupiter here, but rather a collection of binary sequences on a server with Swedish owners. Monria, as the moon is named, is part of the computer game «Entropia Universe».

But its still valueable property the norwegian have secured himself.

- This is first and foremost an investment, says Egeland to PressFire.no.

Playing with real money

«Entropia Universe» is a massive online-game which have kept going for over ten years, since the start of 2003. Albeit with consistent upgrades to the system to keep the technology updated.

What may set the game apart from other massive games is perhaps the very open structure, the game economy. As in the real world every landmass, service and artifact has a value, and that is measured in the currency known as PED - Project Entropia Dollars.

The value of a PED is determined after the american dollar, and what is interesting is that it can be traded both ways. For every tenth PED on your «Entropia»-account, you can get a dollar.

- It is one of the things that makes «Entropia» so exciting, says Egeland, and continues:

- It challenges you to think outside the box, and if you can, you can earn money.

Paid down student debt

On the side of his alter ego Akoz in the extensive «Entropia»-universe, Egeland is an IT-konsultant with a mastergrade from the norwegian technology institute NTNU. He's also a long standing member of Mensa.

The moon he bought he paid for with money earned in the game. He's also used «Entropia»-earnings to pay down his student debt.

- It's a little mix of luck, being in the right place at the right time - but also about making the correct choices, he says.

As everything in «Entropia» has a value, it is also differing values. Some services are more lucrative then others.

- The game universe is very open. You can make it by playing as you would a normal roleplaying-game, with killing monsters or digging for gold. But you can also take on a job, for example as a pilot or try your luck as a pirate, he says.

There are several players who have «Entropia» as their main source of income. The money comes from the players themselves.

- Most people spend more money than they earn, Egeland explains.

Developing the Moon

The moon Egeland now owns, Monria, was put out on auction by MindArk, the swedish company which is behind «Entropia Universe». Those who bought the landmass were promised to get to take part in the development of whatever should be there, such as history, quests, visual expression and monsters.

And last but not least, they'll get a percentage of all the profit generated there.

- Buying the moon was an investment and a risk, but I'm planning on earning it all back. Investments similar to mine have been paid back in one to three years, and there are also those who've made good profits from only a few months, says Egeland to PressFire.

Everything balances on if Monria will become a place where players want to visit. The more activity the moon gets, the more profit it generates.

- We should hope we've made content the players want, Egeland says.

Last edited:
Googles translation is so terrible it's really funny. I use google translate a lot (including norwegian to english) and this is the worst I have seen.

Smith bought the moon 150 $ 000

- I look at it as an investment.

(PressFire.no): Along with two partners, Jan Egeland Terje secured a moon. It was auctioned for 150,000 dollars, or about 900 000 Norwegian kroner.

There is no question of a ball of rock and metal orbiting the Earth or Jupiter, but rather an accumulation binary digits on a server with Swedish owners. Monria, as the moon is called, belongs to the computer game "Entropia Universe".

Nevertheless, it is valuable because the Norwegian man has secured.

- This is primarily an investment, says Egeland to PressFire.no.

Playing with real money
A base on the moon Egeland Monria
in 'Entropia Universe'

"Entropia Universe" is a massive online role-playing game that has been around for over ten years, since the start of 2003. Certainly, with regular upgrades to keep up with technology.

Perhaps first game different from other massive online games, other than the very open structure, the game's economy. As in the real world, all land masses, services and artifacts to a value, which is measured in currency PED - Project Entropia Dollars.

The value of a PED is determined by the U.S. dollar, and here there are special: these can be exchanged both ways. For every ten PED in "Entropia" account, you can retrieve a buck.

- This is part of what makes "Entropia" so exciting, Egeland says, and continues:

- It challenges you to think outside the box, and if you can manage it, so it is possible to make money.

Paid down student loan

Next to appear as his alter ego Akoz in gradually so very extensive "Entropia" universe, Egeland is an IT consultant with a master's degree from NTNU. He has also long been a member of Mensa.

Moon he bought, he paid for with money earned in the game. He also used the 'Entropia' money to pay off your student loan.

- It's a bit of luck, a little bit about being in the right place, but also to make the right choices, he said.

As elsewhere in the world are all in "Entropia" a value, but then of course different value. Some busybody is more lucrative than others.

- The game's universe is very open. You can be successful by playing as a classic online role-playing game, thus killing monsters and digging for gold. But you can also take a job, such as a pilot or test your pirate, he says.

There are several players who have "Entropia" as the main source. The money comes from the player pool.

- Most people spend more than they earn, says Egeland.

With the development of the moon

Moon Egeland now own, Monria, was put up for auction by MindArk, the Swedish company behind "Entropia Universe". Those who purchased the property would be involved in developing the content contained therein, ie things like history, player missions, visual expression, which creatures you might encounter.

Not least, the owners get a share of any profits generated there.

- Moon purchase was an investment and a risk, but I intend to earn it all back together. Similarly, investment has been recouped in one to three years, but there are also those who have made ​​profits after only a few months, says Egeland to press four.

It stands or falls on whether Monria is a place where players will be. The more activity on the moon, the more the returns generated.

- Let's hope we have created content that people we have, says Egeland.

Edited my last post with a non google translate version. Phew. :)

another success story that brings in flies that mostly vanish too quick...

the irony of it all... =)

J.

No special news but still good advertising.

Publiser den nå på vg.no så alle kan lese den :p

Last edited:
Publiser den nå på vg.no så alle lese den :p

Remember, english only on forum :) (it says "publish it at vg.no so all can read it" - vg.no is the largest tabloid in norway, with dagbladet in second)

Its currently on the frontpage of dagbladet.no btw. PressFire is part of Dagbladet, not VG :)

Thanks for translation Skam.

Looks pretty good so far.

$150K still a decent sum of cash, and confirmation it was paid for with in game made peds (well so says the news article)

Rick

Glad to see they are using my Space Skies suggestion i posted in their "To the Moon" idea's thread. Will give it a real "immersive" feel im sure.

"It's a little mix of luck, being in the right place at the right time - but also about making the correct choices."

Its currently on the frontpage of dagbladet.no btw. PressFire is part of Dagbladet, not VG :)

dagbladet.no wins the never ending front page award of the year.... geeez

Very excited for this new moon :)

Can't wait to see the new mobs, missions, items and area!

Reactions: Mac
Shows how little I pay attention. I thought Akoz was Australian. :laugh:

I see this as good news and great promise for future investments. :)

So this is the start of Akoz' marketing effort. Off to a good start I reckon.

I clicked on that new mob pic and it reminded me of what Arnie said to the Predator when he took off his mask

"You're one ugly......"

:)

This looks more like hell then Hell. :D

Well it is based on Call of Cthulhu Mythos. So that sounds like a good compliment :)

I clicked on that new mob pic and it reminded me of what Arnie said to the Predator when he took off his mask

"You're one ugly......"

:)

Perhaps you like the female Cultist better? Ask her out on a date maybe :smirk:

Well it is based on Call of Cthulhu Mythos. So that sounds like a good compliment :)

Perhaps you like the female Cultist better? Ask her out on a date maybe :smirk:

Looks like my ex when see had an issue... Nah that's mean to compare this lovely creature to my ex. :yup:

Back