Not another "will I profit" journal thread!

Julian

Old
Society
freelancer
Yep, you guessed it, I am camping on one mob and recording my loot/expenditures for a while. The spawn I have picked is the snable spawn N of camp caravan. This spawn is primarily snable males maturity young-old and snable females maturity young-mature, although I did see one male provider. The weapon of choice is a humble TT pistol, and armour is Goblin harness, arms, thighs, and shins. I an only wearing armour because I dislike occaisonaly having to fap because it ruins my hunting rhythm. I am doing this test for 3 reasons:

1.) I think that if people hunted mobs that are within their skill and equipment range they could break even or profit consistantly. True, this is a game, and mobs within your skill range often aren't fun, but I dont depot so this is my only option besides resselling/sweating.

2.) I need pistol skills and I dont have any PED to spend, so I gotta be cheap. This test will end when I max a Korss H400 or when I get bored and quit, whichever comes first.

3.) To show newbies that breaking even is not quite as hard as it may seem, given a bit of work and a few PED to start with.

Here are the results of my first run:

Ammo used: 3k

Loot:
353 Muscle Oil
5 Hair Gel
91 Animal Oil Residue
1 BTAU
8 Wool (this may be a mistake, I dont remember this in my loot window)
1 Thin Wool
78 Snablesnot Skins
155 Animal Hide
2 Pixie Arm Guards (M)
2 Pixie Arm Guards (F)
102 Light BLP Pack
27 Medium BLP Pack
367 Explosive Projectiles
EWE EP-11 Self Reliant

TT=36.25 PED
Markup=4 PED (conservative)
Decay=2.25 PED
Total=38.25 PED

Profit=8.25 PED

Comments: This run was broken up into three parts because I had to eat/drink/other things. I may have been lucky with getting as many items as I did, but IDK, only time will tell.

Last edited:

Here are the results of my first run:

Loot:
353 Muscle Oil
5 Hair Gel
91 Animal Oil Residue
1 BTSU
8 Wool (this may be a mistake, I dont remember this in my loot window)
1 Thin Wool
78 Snablesnot Skins
155 Animal Hide
2 Pixie Arm Guards (M)
2 Pixie Arm Guards (F)
102 Light BLP Pack
27 Medium BLP Pack
367 Explosive Projectiles
EWE EP-11 Self Reliant

TT=36.25 PED
Markup=4 PED (conservative)
Decay=2.25 PED
Total=38.25 PED

Profit=8.25 PED

Hmm, I think you may have encountered a problem with your journal alread. :laugh:
Return: 36.25
MU: 4.oo
Decay: 2.25
Total: 38.oo

I think your profit should be 8ped, because you forgot to take the 25pec from return+Mu. :D
Good luck!

Ze

lol thanks for that, my brain was a little numbed from a few hours of snable vaporisation. Let it be known that the return was 8 PED, not 8.25. Also, I should report that, although my skill gains were pretty small, they were not anywhere near as low as I expected, I even got a few lines of adj!

breaking even if your a noob...lol if you shoot all the time you can have 100ped- a day lol that's much yes :D
(it's true that no-one have the same bankig manager:D )

Good Luck with it all - but dont kid yourself.

3.) To show newbies that breaking even is not quite as hard as it may seem, given a bit of work and a few PED to start with.

Good luck with your project Julian, it can be a lot of fun & adds to the whole experience of game play to be able to see exactly what you received for what it cost (+skills gain).

Just one point, you have already seemingly made the assumption that it is possible to break even - before you have completed the experiment, this is your predetermined assumption, maybe from your experience - but to tell noobes its possible to break even then try to prove it, rather than finding out if you can break even is different - if you don't break even will the experiment of gone wrong or will it prove that its not possible to break even (for you).

Maybe its just the way you have worded it, but from experience, sure I'm no big hunter or miner - it isn't possible to break even, if it was MA would of gone Bust 4 years ago....:rolleyes:

Players often kid them selves when adding up the profit or loss - and sure a profit is nice and a loss can be negotiable, as its a fun experience, but to break even is not possible in the long term on average - yes there will be some who have got lucky and that luck has given them the edge and put them in profit - but not all 500,000 players maybe a few.

I would add in your refiner decay to the costs - all 3 ore/Matter/materials.
Also, it is possible to sell all to friends or on the street - but there will be many occasions when you don't and use the auction - this in cures fee's, often the items don't sell and you in-cure the fee with out the sale - other times you TT the items because the profit it just too low 2%.

So, I would add in to your workings, to add a more realistic profit & loss or you will be kidding yourself on the actual end profit or loss:

I supoose with out myself doing a similar experiment I too am making an assumption, but i would say I have already compleated the experiment over a number of years and the results noted by myself.

Possibly add in or note:
  • All refiner decays
  • Possible fee's incured with selling the items
  • Loss of % profit when not selling the items, but tt'ing the % profit so you can buy more ammo

Some factors that can put you into profit: (although not as part of the hunt but as part of dealing with the items/stuff you loot).

- Random Globals - Luck
- Noobe cycle - noobes can do well in the beginning and seem to profit seemingly well, to start (my assumption)
- Getting a better % price for your loot because a player wants the items there & then
- Selling on the street - selling via a shop
- Being frugulant when using your refiners - dont use them unless you have too.
- Human factors - knowing when to stop or moving area

Last edited:
Good luck with your project Julian, it can be a lot of fun & adds to the whole experience of game play to be able to see exactly what you received for what it cost (+skills gain).

Just one point, you have already seemingly made the assumption that it is possible to break even - before you have completed the experiment, this is your predetermined assumption, maybe from your experience - but to tell noobes its possible to break even then try to prove it, rather than finding out if you can break even is different - if you don't break even will the experiment of gone wrong or will it prove that its not possible to break even (for you).

Maybe its just the way you have worded it, but from experience, sure I'm no big hunter or miner - it isn't possible to break even, if it was MA would of gone Bust 4 years ago....:rolleyes:
The reason I assumed it was possible to break even is because I have done a couple dozen 30 PED runs and I usualy profit by about 5-6 PED. Keep in mind that this profit is smaller than the average profit sweating. IMO, it is definatley not possible to break even on mid range mobs, because there are lots of higher level players who can hunt the same mob much more efficiently than you. I also think that most people hunt mobs that are way out of their skill range. IMO, if you have to FAP, the mob is defiantely to big for you to break even. There are exceptions of course, but that would be a general rule for me. Of course, nobody wants to hunt snables for 2 hours a day so that prevents more skilled people than me from hunting them alot, and most of the people who do hunt them do not use weapons that they have already maxed and have low defense skills, compared to mine.

My point is, IME it IS possible to profit, you just gotta be hunting the right MOB.

Here are the results of my second run:

Loot:
2x Goblin Thigh gaurds (F)
2x Pixie Goloves (M)
3x BTAU
Olive Paint
112x Brukite
61x Snablesnot Skin
77x Animal Oil Residue
274x Animal Muscle Oil
58X Orange Paint
237x Medium Weapon Cells
73x Light BLP Pack
7x Hair Gel
11x Basic Stone Extractors
216x Animal Hide
36x Medium BLP pack
3x Wool
2x Thin Wool

TT=25.14 PED
Markup= 5-6 PED (conservative, you could sqeeze 1 PED each out of the thigh gaurds and .5 PED each out of the gloves, but sweating would recoup your losses faster)
Decay=4.32 PED (I may have forgotten to repair last time?)
Total=25.48 PED

Profit= -4.52 PED

Comments:
The first 10 PED of ammo got me 2 PED of loot, but things were good from then on.

Back