PackRats and Loot

TrinketSoul

Alpha
Society
Q Entities
Athena Trinketsoul RetroVertigo
I hope thjis is in the right spot but

I have been saving almost everything I have received in PE, I save claws guns, wools paints etc… everything I loot, (because the second I sell or TT something Marco makes another interesting announcement) .. I have recently starting to notice that my loots are getting smaller, I end up putting tons of money in (because I save everything) go on 100 PED hunts, .. I spend lots of time manufacturing and neither of them seem to pay … I am making less successful attempts, looting less ped / items than I can remember.

I have deposited a lot of money in the last few weeks and still nothing in months… I always was under the impression depositing helps loot more (at least it seemed to for me).

Now I also have heard from many newcomers they hit several globals and Hofs in the beginning generally in hunting and mining and from then on not much…

I am wondering if anybody has noticed any type of correlation to saving stackables, and other things and receiving weaker loots the more they save?

I have thousands of bones and crap and get nothing, Newcomers have a ped card 12 bottles of sweat, and a gun with 100 ammo and Hof..

Disclaimer:
** Not a Rant but I really am concerned saving exosaur neckbones is having an effect on my potential loots They aren’t even fun to look at **

** I know a lot of people have a ton more than me and don’t experience this **

It seems like loot goes good & bad in cycles, and I think you are just in a down turn. I had a long period where I didn't even come close to breaking even, then a period of regularly turning a profit (with globals to boot), now currently I'm trending towards breaking even.

But if you are unconvinced, I'd be happy to take all the stackables off your hands. :D

I feel the same, last hunt was a total disaster 80 ped gave five (5) ped back before i gave up and i had some that gave 20-25 ped back in total (items + peds)
As u i have deposited heavy last months. I have my storage totaly loaded, was planning to get a jaguar in skins/hides.
Well with this result this shit is no fun anymore so i am seriously thinking of quiting for the the first time, i mean dont mind loosing some money but 15-20% in return in a 100ped hunt is a bit steep.

I don't know if there is some equalibrium that you have to be in... I guess my train of thought was a newcomers total value is next less than 10 0PED so MA knows they need to give them a taste of success to hook them... then as the av moves into a total vlue of 1000 Ped to 10000PED the loots start coming down because you are now hooked and most likely a paying customer... then once your AV's total value is 10,000 to 20,000 the loots start getting a bit better because not only are you a hooked paying customer but you have more than likely put in enouh, so they want to give you more taste so you keep spending and so on all the way up ... was just my thought.

but yes it does burn you out... quick because the cost is too high , and there is never any good return... hell I am happy when I loot a crappy fap because at least it isn't a freakin useless claw or orange paint (which is a bit more useful)...

If it's any consolation, my hunting has been CRAP for a week. I hit a 700+ PED hof a couple weeks ago with TONS of stuff in my bank. I think everyone is waiting for 8.7...

The loots indeed have gotten worse

the more people are using opalos, the worse the loots get

on top of that, fewer people are playing now because of the VU that game out, and even fewer now that news of this new VU is out there

alot of people were waiting for this VU to improve, and when it did, we get the news of the new VU.

Now people are waiting/quiting until the new VU comes out and is sorted out.

Your not alone.... Ive watched as the same mob I hunt slowly and slowly go down more and more in minimum loot returns on them. One mob I hunted used to be 9 pec was minimum for the young maturities, now its down to 6

I don't think I have ever stored up as much as you have without selling it, but in my experience the payouts come in waves and don't seem related to what I have in storage.

My feeling is that there isn't a such a deliberate set-up with your avatar's net value playing a part in such a manipulative equation. I think maybe the reason you hear about hoffing noobs and steady-losing mid-ranged depositers is because both of those cases deviate from what we would expect and so they stick out in our minds. My guess is that there are just as many noobs that never see a good return and steady depositors that break-even, etc. Those cases just aren't as interesting, so we don't take notice of them.

Zanathos said:
The loots indeed have gotten worse

the more people are using opalos, the worse the loots get

on top of that, fewer people are playing now because of the VU that game out, and even fewer now that news of this new VU is out there

alot of people were waiting for this VU to improve, and when it did, we get the news of the new VU.

Now people are waiting/quiting until the new VU comes out and is sorted out.

Your not alone.... Ive watched as the same mob I hunt slowly and slowly go down more and more in minimum loot returns on them. One mob I hunted used to be 9 pec was minimum for the young maturities, now its down to 6

Yes me too... the other night I went snable hunting to try to reduce cost and to gather Gel for skilling. cleaned 2 densley poulated areas went through 3000 ammo came back with 212 PEC and 2 wool and 3 cans of blue paint.. no gel and a broken gun + decay on my skiling armor that stuff makes me sick... those things used to drop Gel like crazy and they at least payed enough back in pec to be worth it... so I just wondered is it all this useless crap I got... Figured I'd pose the question

Snuggins said:
I don't think I have ever stored up as much as you have without selling it, but in my experience the payouts come in waves and don't seem related to what I have in storage.

My feeling is that there isn't a such a deliberate set-up with your avatar's net value playing a part in such a manipulative equation. I think maybe the reason you hear about hoffing noobs and steady-losing mid-ranged depositers is because both of those cases deviate from what we would expect and so they stick out in our minds. My guess is that there are just as many noobs that never see a good return and steady depositors that break-even, etc. Those cases just aren't as interesting, so we don't take notice of them.

Good point especially with the perceptions of what we should be getting. Of course I think MA has some strategy to addict and keep players in the game. It just leads me to think that alot can be said about the total value of a player and how their systm should deal with them to keep the most profit for themselves as well as keeping a customer... my thought though

Oops sry for the multiposts...

Ive got multiple piles of random things I have been saving, from mining to loot ressources, in my bank. Loads of paint too.. Doesnt seem to make a difference in what kind of loot I happen to get.

It seems to me that mobs drop loot in cycles, perhaps you should try hunting new things and come back to your usual hunting grounds when they are looting better for you...

imo depositing don't help much (can't say if it don't or does help, nobody can answer that)

but I know some ppl who earned quite a lot of peds without depositing (since start last year).. but they are now getting lot's of pedlosing runs 2 nowadays

Then bout the loot

* i've noticed that the chances i hit a ''lucky'' run are a lot smaller then before (getting 1 global or more if hunting with opalo or other cheap guns)

* the chances to get break evens are also a lot smaller

* i'm getting lot's of neg runs but the loss is never bigger then ~50 ped in case of opalo & ~100 loss incase of mk5 (always do 150ped opalo or 500-1kped mk5 runs) & i consider that nowadays as not such a bad run ( how sarcastic that can sound.. )

* and ofcourse u got the bad run wichs are about the same as before

BUT what I think that has most effect on the loot nowadays are the ATH's we see EVERY week

I don't think the amount of ppl has been increased by the same percentage as the hofs are increased (since start this year) which means that the average loot has dropped a lot imo

if u understand what i mean ;p

And also important these are my thoughts and NOT facts :)

shoot me :)

EDIT: It also disturbs me a lot that ppl are blaming opalo so much lately, I don't see anyone complaining bout the everyday 10k+pedders & the every week ATHS which happen. AND if u want to get such an ammount of loot/profit out with opalo I guess u'll need a team of 500 opalo hunters hunting 24h/day ~ for me the lootsystem is crap and not the weaponsystem ~

Last edited:
If you think you're a packrat...well I'll put it to you this way...our society has a storage apartment...my stockpile takes up a whole corner and my Soc. Leader's does too...

hey i kno where that apartment is for ebasu :) fadwa is a good friend :) AND LEMME TELL YOU SHE HAS A S#@TLOAD OF STUFF.

Bartoke said:
imo depositing don't help much (can't say if it don't or does help, nobody can answer that)

but I know some ppl who earned quite a lot of peds without depositing (since start last year).. but they are now getting lot's of pedlosing runs 2 nowadays

Then bout the loot

* i've noticed that the chances i hit a ''lucky'' run are a lot smaller then before (getting 1 global or more if hunting with opalo or other cheap guns)

* the chances to get break evens are also a lot smaller

* i'm getting lot's of neg runs but the loss is never bigger then ~50 ped in case of opalo & ~100 loss incase of mk5 (always do 150ped opalo or 500-1kped mk5 runs) & i consider that nowadays as not such a bad run ( how sarcastic that can sound.. )

* and ofcourse u got the bad run wichs are about the same as before

BUT what I think that has most effect on the loot nowadays are the ATH's we see EVERY week

I don't think the amount of ppl has been increased by the same percentage as the hofs are increased (since start this year) which means that the average loot has dropped a lot imo

if u understand what i mean ;p

And also important these are my thoughts and NOT facts :)

shoot me :)

EDIT: It also disturbs me a lot that ppl are blaming opalo so much lately, I don't see anyone complaining bout the everyday 10k+pedders & the every week ATHS which happen. AND if u want to get such an ammount of loot/profit out with opalo I guess u'll need a team of 500 opalo hunters hunting 24h/day ~ for me the lootsystem is crap and not the weaponsystem ~

I had a 2998 PED HOF about 5 months ago after putting in some money and I used to get silent globals or globals most times after depoing but lately hmm... it's like throwing money away for me... possibly it is due to alot of people leaving.. and MA paying the pieper... so loots are declining...

Bartoke said:

I think part of the reason so many people blame it on the opalo instead of the ATHs is that there is a rumor (?) that ATHs come from some seperate fund generated by ad revenue. I don't know if this is true or not, but I think it makes people hesitant to complain about ATHs. Add that to the fact that everyone hopes to get an ATH, and who would want to be complaining about large ATHs the day before they got one... :tongue2:

Also, you have some people saying "Opalos drain loots!" and other people saying "Opalo is unbalanced!" After reading a 68 page thread of it, it starts to just sound like, "Fsking opalos!!" :silly2:

I can tell you that the amount of stuff you have in storage has nothing to do with loots at all. I know this because my luck has been so bad the last few months that my storage is virtually empty... and you guessed it, I am still getting crap for loots. I truely hope that both your luck and my own changes soon! LOL

Snuggins said:

I would have to agree with Snuggins here.. I've been a regular depositor for a while... well... honestly speaking, since my second day in the EU, but anyway...

I'm completely lower-mid-level of a player. Total skills are probably about 35K (complete guess, I don't care enough to add them all up) and I have only been playing for about 8 months. I find that I am consistently breaking even lately, with only the occassional bad run. The problem is that I don't get any HOFs or Globals and so there isn't a lot of excitement for me to run around and brag about.

The last two days, I've been out east of Echinda hunting Atrax. Both days I have broken even or come out slightly ahead, but never with the help of a global or even any dropped items. Just a steady trickle of gold and silver in the loot windows.

When things happen like this, I don't have any spectacular news to post, so it goes completely unnoticed by everyone but me. Like others though, I complain like a stuck pig when I have a nice run of crap luck. LOL

I am a pack hound myself and have tons in storage just in case, but I still get globals and good loot.

TrinketSoul said:
I hope thjis is in the right spot but

I have been saving almost everything I have received in PE, I save claws guns, wools paints etc… everything I loot, (because the second I sell or TT something Marco makes another interesting announcement) .. I have recently starting to notice that my loots are getting smaller, I end up putting tons of money in (because I save everything) go on 100 PED hunts, .. I spend lots of time manufacturing and neither of them seem to pay … I am making less successful attempts, looting less ped / items than I can remember.

I have deposited a lot of money in the last few weeks and still nothing in months… I always was under the impression depositing helps loot more (at least it seemed to for me).

Now I also have heard from many newcomers they hit several globals and Hofs in the beginning generally in hunting and mining and from then on not much…

I am wondering if anybody has noticed any type of correlation to saving stackables, and other things and receiving weaker loots the more they save?

I have thousands of bones and crap and get nothing, Newcomers have a ped card 12 bottles of sweat, and a gun with 100 ammo and Hof..

Disclaimer:
** Not a Rant but I really am concerned saving exosaur neckbones is having an effect on my potential loots They aren’t even fun to look at **

** I know a lot of people have a ton more than me and don’t experience this **

this just might be my perception, but i noticed that when i keep large amounts of ores in my stoage (as opposed to sell or crafting them right away) i tend to find less when mining.

there are wierd balances in the game of which we are unaware

Know exactly how you feel. Been doing bad for 1 month and good for 1 day, not even good, it was a global. Last time Hunting was bad for me I started mining. Was good at the begining now I have a bunch of ores and enmatter in storage that nobody wants other than all those claws, skins, etc.. And the worst part is that due to people not participating in expectance to the new VU, everything has gone cheaper, ie oil is at 110% etc.

A really interesting discussion I feel. I seem to have waves, and I strongly agree with the 'planned addiction theory' I've heard it is the case that you often get a global if you haven't played for a while (to 'readdict' you). This certainly happened to me a couple of times. However MA may not be able to do this with the recent migration of players away from game. Try taking a break for say 2 months and seeing if when you get back you have better luck?

I also feel this raises a greater issue in RL. If we accept that MA are manipulating an addiction model to generate revenue then the fundamental principle to this is almost 'manipulated gambling'. Psychological tests have demonstrated addiction / gambling models extensively and I won;t bore you with them here, but surely manipulated addiction/gambling is ethically dubious to say the least?

Anyway, if we accept the gambling principle then how does the recent developments in the USA effect MA, as on-line gambling companies have (it appears) been banned from allowing credit card gambling (or 'depositing').

I think I've got the basic facts right but if there are any refined details that I've got wrong then apologies in advance.

well also take into account that on here you see the nice hofs, and the terrible runs, no one really says much about the break even or small profit/non global hunts. (or the acceptible minor loss runs for that matter)

I have always around 5K pedd TT worth of loot/goods in my storage waiting for a good moment to sell.

I never noticed it influencing my loot so i believe it is completely independent of each other. I still get globals and HoFs.

Cheers
Richard
(ingame Siam)

Bartoke said:

+ rep for that mate.

Opalo hunters taking a lot of criticism lately. Im sure people didn’t complain so much when they were skilling up on riffle. Don’t blame the player for using the most economical option open to them.

Psycho said:
A really interesting discussion I feel. I seem to have waves, and I strongly agree with the 'planned addiction theory' I've heard it is the case that you often get a global if you haven't played for a while (to 'readdict' you). This certainly happened to me a couple of times. However MA may not be able to do this with the recent migration of players away from game. Try taking a break for say 2 months and seeing if when you get back you have better luck?

I also feel this raises a greater issue in RL. If we accept that MA are manipulating an addiction model to generate revenue then the fundamental principle to this is almost 'manipulated gambling'. Psychological tests have demonstrated addiction / gambling models extensively and I won;t bore you with them here, but surely manipulated addiction/gambling is ethically dubious to say the least?

Anyway, if we accept the gambling principle then how does the recent developments in the USA effect MA, as on-line gambling companies have (it appears) been banned from allowing credit card gambling (or 'depositing').

I think I've got the basic facts right but if there are any refined details that I've got wrong then apologies in advance.

along time ago I got frusterated and decided to take a break from the game... 2 months later I figured why not log in and see what has changed and sure enough I dropped a bomb right outside Argus and got a 250 PED loot... so I agree with that statement... I don't know if there is a planned addiction cycle, but your right if there is thaat is pretty lame... I really dont care about making a loot that will make me rich and famous... I just want to be able to play without needing to drop 10 dollars a night... and much much more on top of that when I want to buy something nice for myself.

Also many people are talking about breaking even and thats understandable but if you break even twice and have real bad runs the next 8 times you aren't really breaking even... also when you say break even does this inlude the decay on your armor, the plates, guns and faps all the accessories you have used or just in ammo you broke even? nvrmind that's off topic sry :)

TrinketSoul said:
along time ago I got frusterated and decided to take a break from the game... 2 months later I figured why not log in and see what has changed and sure enough I dropped a bomb right outside Argus and got a 250 PED loot... so I agree with that statement... I don't know if there is a planned addiction cycle, but your right if there is thaat is pretty lame... I really dont care about making a loot that will make me rich and famous... I just want to be able to play without needing to drop 10 dollars a night... and much much more on top of that when I want to buy something nice for myself.

That happened to me too. I stopped playing for 2 months or so when my son was born. Not long after I started up again, I got my first global - 334peds on a Corn. Since then globals have become much more frequent, so I'm not entirely convinced the Global was due entirely to being away from the game. But it is suspicious.

TrinketSoul said:
Also many people are talking about breaking even and thats understandable but if you break even twice and have real bad runs the next 8 times you aren't really breaking even... also when you say break even does this inlude the decay on your armor, the plates, guns and faps all the accessories you have used or just in ammo you broke even? nvrmind that's off topic sry :)

When I tell people I usually break even, I try to take into consideration the decay. There are runs where I come back with a profit and other runs are negative. Its very likely that over time I'm losing money, but I can't be sure, because when I global, deposit, or otherwise have a lot of PEDs, I tend to blow in on upgraded weapons, clothes or wasteful hunting (like using a Katsuichi Determination with 800 skill in LongBlades).

I'm sure some of those people who report they profit are being optimistic and not including decay. But I tend to believe some of them anyway.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad Trinket, I've never had a global in my entire entropia life. Not even as a team. I thirst for hearing trumpets and seeing yellow lights, but I never have. I find that loots change all the time. Sometimes they're good in a certain area, but then the area changes. But don't listen to me, I have a thing called Global Defficiency Dissorder.

GOOD LUCK!

i dont think you people undersdtadn how much these ath hunters contribute to the loot pool.

secondly dont store up all your shit its pointless

they stuff that is 110% or less just tt it - the rest sell it every couple of days - no need to keep depositing,

Zib Black Onyx said:
i dont think you people undersdtadn how much these ath hunters contribute to the loot pool.

secondly dont store up all your shit its pointless

they stuff that is 110% or less just tt it - the rest sell it every couple of days - no need to keep depositing,

If you just TT the stuff under 110%, you are missing out.

If it is 110%, save up till your have 100peds of it, and auction it for 101 peds starting bid. it'll probably go for 105, 4 peds profit. Simple.

if you just TT it, you get a pec here, and a pec there.

When you auction it for 105 peds, there is the money to fix a load of your stuff in one go, when otherwise it would have just given you a few extra wep-cells each day.

On topic.

I dont notice a difference in loots if I have the stuff in storage or not.
I get high's and low's. I can loot armour till the cows come home one week, and keep it all, only to not loot any armour at all the day after I tt all the pixie dross. (it's non stacable, so not possible to auction in bulk)

It's all swings and roundabouts.

Thats how I look at it.

Loots definitely change. At the end of August my PED card took one critical hit after another. Around mid September, I considered buying a second PED card from the TT to hold the cornucopia of loots. In the last two weeks (October) the loot as been leaving the PED card faster than it is coming (average loots?).

Back