Question: Pcf + ef = Ef?

Ah, but my point is that a very large part of that is not unique to Calypso. Even looking at the subforums and categories now, after a couple years of being adapted to Calypso-specific content, one sees entire sections that are universal in many regards: Tutorials, Items, Noob's Corner, Skills, Tools and Utilities, SocTalk, Professions, most of Economy, Space...

While some of the forum sections are not necessarily Calypso-specific, nevertheless a healthy number of the discussions in such sections very often refer exclusively to Calypso content.

Given the evolution of Entropia Universe over the years, it's really hard to separate Calypso from EU in general, especially during the period before any of the new planets launched. Even now with four additional planets, the gravitas of Calypso can be felt strongly not only in the EU economy itself, but also within the community and on the various forums. This of course makes it quite difficult to create distinctions between 'Calypso-specific' and 'EU-generic' in many issues and discussions.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that nothing is really clear-cut given the situation, which on the one hand supports your position that this forum (currently called PCF) should rather be considered a general Entropia Universe forum. On the other hand, discussion of other planets constitutes a very small portion of this forum's database content, so it would be unfair to simply move this site back to the EntropiaForum.com domain name and call it a planet-neutral EU community. I'm sure such a change would not be incredibly popular with some of the planet partners, and understandably so.

Yes, but all of us old timers ended up here accounts, posts, gallery, blogs, and all. If PCF had been launched as a new forum and EF kept as it was, i suspect PCF would be empty. In other words, I think most of us here would rather have been left on EF. Maybe a poll is in order to qualify that supposition.

Actually, the original plan was to copy the EF database over to PCF, and then let each forum evolve independently from that point, with EF becoming a general EU forum and PCF focused mainly on Calypso, and members keeping their accounts on both forums. At the last minute, SDS insisted instead on acquiring the entire EF forum community and content and moving it to PCF. Ultimately I agreed despite my reservations, since at the time it appeared to be the best way forward for the community and for Calypso. I did however insist on retaining the EntropiaForum.com domain name, along with the right to relaunch it immediately as a general EU forum. With the benefit of hindsight, and given the ultimate disintegration of SDS (and the PCF deal along with it), I would have handled things much differently and EF would have likely remained the primary EU forum. If I had a time machine....

I was hoping that, because they both seemed to use vBulletin, there would be some merging utility that would automate much of that, otherwise i wouldn't have proposed it. Ultimately you'd have to do the actual merging so you have to make the final call on whether it's possible and tell us what the liabilities would be.

Merging an older version of vBulletin (EF) into a newer version (PCF) is feasible, though it would still be challenging in this particular case. Doing the reverse (merging PCF into EF) is much more complicated because the version of vBulletin in use on PCF has undergone dramatic changes in database structure and features compared to the one in use on EF. Things get even more tricky because so many people have accounts on both forums, which further complicates any potential merging of data, which is not usually an issue when merging two completely unrelated forums.

Of course if it is decided to simply move PCF back to the EntropiaForum.com domain, that would be a fairly simple task. The only issue would be to decide what to do with the data and content that now exists on EF. Merging it into PCF's database is possible, though as I mentioned, things could get a bit tricky since many members have accounts on both sites right now. And of course a new EF forum skin for vBulletin 4.x would be required, since the PCF skins would no longer make sense if (this) site was once again called EntropiaForum.com.

My head is spinning just thinking of all the permutations :eyecrazy:
One thing is for sure, no changes will be made until well after summer. :tongue2:

I really think it would be a positive thing to merge all PE/EU players together and let them all buzz under the same roof..

However, its sadly way to much about the juice and not so much about the spirit, the communitys HP and stamina..

Back in the days we were a good bunch of gamers hanging out on EF.. Nowdays it seems more, but not completely, like a handfull of people buying/selling..

Greets.

I posed a consolidated login idea a while back, with each planet having its own sub-section (with their own mod/dev privileges) under a single banner.

Simple reasons:
* I cannot remember a hundred logins/pwds for each different forum. A single login for each.
* Someone can jump in first on a remote PP forum and copy-cat your identity (and even tarnish your ingame rep).
* Consolidated information regarding all planets and events and news under one login. Gets tedious to visit individual forums.

Here is my original thread: LINK

Back in the days we were a good bunch of gamers hanging out on EF.. Nowdays it seems more, but not completely, like a handfull of people buying/selling..

That's because there is now 1 forum for every 4 active players. :laugh:

This does seem like a very complex issue. I would hate to see something done hastily, but I'd hate to see it get dropped, too. Although I think I have accounts on all of the different forums, I still find myself spending all of my time here. The bad thing about this is that I find that I have become completely out of touch with anything that is going on with any of the other planets.

I have become completely out of touch with anything that is going on with any of the other planets.

I *AM* completely out of touch with anything that is going on with any of the other planets.

Make it an option on a teleport and I'll go check them out :)

"Unable to connect, please try again in a few minutes." :laugh:

Thanks narfi, I assume my work firewall is blocking it, but it does kind of demonstrate the point that all I want is to walk into a tp, select the planet, and have an option to tp to where I want to go, when I want to go, I don't want to deal with all this other lame waste of time space stuff :rolleyes:

"Unable to connect, please try again in a few minutes." :laugh:

Thanks narfi, I assume my work firewall is blocking it, but it does kind of demonstrate the point that all I want is to walk into a tp, select the planet, and have an option to tp to where I want to go, when I want to go, I don't want to deal with all this other lame waste of time space stuff :rolleyes:

I'm basically out of touch with other planets too. Although I do like some of the stuff on Rocktropia, I have not had ample opportunity to check it out. Only a couple days worth of messing around.

Cyrene remains unknown to me. Never been there. Arkadia I went to, but to be perfectly honest I found it to be a clone of Calypso, with a style of building that reminded me alot of how Calypso used to be. That coupled with the stagnant spawns (read: One mob type only. High spawn count. Big red blob.) encouraged me to decide Calypso was simply more interesting and that the planet partner needed to be a bit more creative. I'll check it out again in another year.

Next Island is virtually dead. Were I to possess the capital I would buy it outright and spend 1-2 years redeveloping it and re-launching it. I once had hopes for it, but the developer bailed on it after showing the community he had absolutely no idea what he was doing, his storyline was incomplete and without an essential well developed protagonist and antagonist, and he was basically just trying to peddle junk to people he considered more than willing to spend.

Nothing of interest going on there.

Back