Perception..lootbringer..true or false?

VmaX

Old Alpha
Society
SUF
One of Nine
I hear many people claiming that when they gain perception they will get a fat loot in the area..
They also claim that works for mining and for hunting.

I heared many theories about this.
*If you gain perc you need to kill everything on the radar
*If you gain perc you need to kill the mobs on the edge of the radar
*If you gain perc you need to Bomb in a big circle around where you got it.
*Etc etc

I don't believe it, but curious (desperate) as I am I tried all of the above.
I tried it more than once, far more than once..

My conclusion? Its bollocks.

Anyone has other experiences?

PS: Did a search for this but couldnt find a post about it.

Before, about 6 months ago, I used to be a firm believer in this. As well as many other methods I thought would bring in loot, it did seem to work. But now, it's nothing but a myth. I have gained lots of perception, killed everything on the radar, put bombs all over the place, and got nothing in return. So maybe it was once true; but has definitely been ruled out by MA.

I certainly won't bealieve this, as MA has stated that skills won't affect loot, thus skillgains shouldn't either (?)
But what i've been wondering why you get perception more sometimes, ie. yesterday i got it on every seconds bomb i dropped, before that none (or maybe once/twice) for a week.

Was going to say that this should be in the "skills" forum, but perception is such a dynamic unknown that I dont even want to assume its a skill.

As a miner I've "chased" several perception gains and got nothing and so concluded that it meant nothing. Then, after one very bad trip I had 15 probes left and was heading back to a tp. Dropped one and got a perception gain. I thought "sod it, one more try, this run cant get any worse" carpet bombed around it (I usually mine in a rough straight line) and hit a 600 ped oil.

Since then, perception gains have led me to finds which are slightly larger than usual but have also have caused me to waste alot of PED.

I think its just random (in my case lucky) coincidence but whilst I'd love to end this post with a solid conclusion (I want to say its all rubbish) I cant yet.

well, used to work for me on mobs like hogglo, aurli, troxes.. but still wasnt always. On the other hand globals on those mobs are quite often so.. Sometimes it worked at feffs too tho. Who knows.. =/
Also seems to work for me when someone is at the edge of the radar.

:lolup:

There are 4 kind of perc gain:

1. Lootperc:
- Kill all mobs on radar + a few outside of it
- If nothing drop 4-5 bombs
- If still nothing 4-5 probes
(-

2. Noloot perc:
- There is not a fapping single loot in the area
(usualy noticed when you gone through point 1.)

3. GD perc:
- A green dot is outside your radar.

4. Perc - perc
- The dogs will bark in the next 45mins or somone will ring the doorbell. :silly2:

This thread clearly belongs in the Skills forum, not General Discussion.

Please make an effort to post new threads in the proper place, which makes the forum easier to browse for all members, and reduces the workload for our volunteer staff and moderators.

You did a search?? Where?? I did a quick search and found these on the first of a few pages.
.html

And it is generally considered that it means something, but everyone has their own thoughts on what this something is.

Hmm did a quick search on just the word perception and got a lot of returns but not the ones you showed..

strange.

IMHO, perception simply means there is another avatar / mob just off radar. As your perception grows, I would assume that your ability to detect other avas / mobs gets greater (ultimate range of radar gets bigger?

This would need testing though...

This thread clearly belongs in the Skills forum, not General Discussion.

Please make an effort to post new threads in the proper place, which makes the forum easier to browse for all members, and reduces the workload for our volunteer staff and moderators.

Well I thought about that but imo its more a general discussion and as someone else put it.. is perception a skill? Also the discusion is not meant to be about perception but if it means something for loot or not.

Anyway youre the boss so its your party ;)
sorry

Well I thought about that but imo its more a general discussion and as someone else put it.. is perception a skill? Also the discusion is not meant to be about perception but if it means something for loot or not.

Anyway youre the boss so its your party ;)
sorry

Perception is very clearly a skill: it's listed in the skills panel (K keyboard shortcut), and can be extracted onto an Empty Skill Implant and become a Perception Skill Implant.

The main thrust of this thread is a discussion of how the Perception skill impacts various activities within EntropiaUniverse, such as loot values, and thus belongs in the Skills forum.

Hmm did a quick search on just the word perception and got a lot of returns but not the ones you showed..

strange.

Search Thread titles only - not entire posts, for a common word such as this :)

im sure i posted in one of these threads...

perception=bollocks

Serendipity: an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident; good fortune or luck.

Perception: the act or faculty of apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.

why is it then this myth continues that Perception=Loot when the literal meaning of Serendipity would be much more logically linked, yet no link is made?

I don't get where this idea comes from really, you might as well just say "when i gain alertness there is a chance for a big loot nearby !"

(and getting alertness is so rare so it must be true !)

I always gets perception when someone is just outta my radar - which in PVP4 means: Charge chip and get the HELL outta there..

Perception has nothing with loot to do... But Serendipity does

I don't get where this idea comes from really, you might as well just say "when i gain alertness there is a chance for a big loot nearby !"

(and getting alertness is so rare so it must be true !)

It came from Spin Rep :D

dear guys and girls;

I told perception is very effective on loots to some newbies and in IRC years ago regarding hoards of questions directed to me while i was hardcore hunter with much sparetime.. (+-10 globals/hofs daily)

Seems most of them forgot that i then added "perception as a word in that phrase; not the ingame skill itself" to my term. And so on this become a EU Legend don´t believe in this. ;)

many many times when i was a miner back in the days, i got a global or atleast a bigger than average loot on the bomb when i get the perception, or shortly after, sometimes i even get a bigger loot/global and then get the perception gain the bomb after and none before.

Have noticed this in hunting too but not as much as in mining.

And yupp, manytimes i get perception, drops bombs, probes and kill everything on radar, no luck.

I sertainly believe in perception, to tell you there is something "special" inside your radar (dunno the word in english; but something not normal).

Both VF and I believe in this more and more - mostly because we see the pattern now every night.

Whenever we get perception we tell each other (easy since we're sitting right next to each other ;) - and a few minutes after we get a near global loot, a global or even something better OR we find some stones/dung/fruit.

We also get perception when someone is getting into our radar (greenie), though it is hard to tell if you are in a spot with 50 mobs wether that perception was because of the greenie or because one of the mobs carried somthing nice.

I have 2K+ perception and I have definitely thought about getting more perception because f.x. when hunting ambus, I can kind of follow the perception to find the mob with the nice loot. I have had it happened when I was surrounded by mobs when I got perception killing one mob, killed a mob next to it without getting perception, went the other direction and killed a mob with perception again, followed that direction and shortly after hitting a global!

But if perception exists like this, one would believe that the mob already carries the loot before you hit it - which means that your skills do not decide your loot, not?

:dunno:

But if perception exists like this, one would believe that the mob already carries the loot before you hit it - which means that your skills do not decide your loot, not?
:dunno:
This would trash the assumption that the loot is calculated when looting...
Mmmh, speculations and speculations.

@ Lyyke, what you have to ask your self is these questions:
how often do you get a perception gain then not get a good loot on the next mob?
how long does the perception gain remain valid for, 1, 2 mobs, 5 minutes, untill the radar is clear?
How often do you get a good loot or global when you didnt get a perception gain in the previous minutes/mobs.

my experience has been there is no distinct correlation, that is for ever global following a perception gain i have had many, many that were not preceded (noticably) by such a skill gain; and many many more perceptions that were not followed by a good loot/global. Think how many perc green lines you must have had to get to 2k. It is my believe that, just like the deposit=good loot myth, peoples behavior changes in responce to the perception gain and that in itself has to be taken into account.

@ Lyyke, what you have to ask your self is these questions:
how often do you get a perception gain then not get a good loot on the next mob?

This is something vf and I asked ourselfs too, which is why we are trying to keep track in it. we do not get a good loot at the NEXT mob, as I wrote. We might have to look for it inside the radar, but it is there. At times we got perception and found fruit - other times a greenie appeared in the edge of the radar. I'm not saying it IS like this, just that we can definitely see a pattern. VF wasnt sure about perception untill we kept track and have for now some months. we actually now look for stuff whenever we get perception and its nearly sure we do hit something. The few times we didnt, we can speculate why we didnt: Could another greenie nearby have gotten the loot? Are there a loot cyclus which change and therefor loot moved on? didnt we see the fruit or stones on the ground when we got the perception etc.

how long does the perception gain remain valid for, 1, 2 mobs, 5 minutes, untill the radar is clear?

I would not know. I have followed perception around for max 5 min i believe untill hitting the global/nice loot. What I do is to kill as much mobs near me as possible, fastest.

How often do you get a good loot or global when you didnt get a perception gain in the previous minutes/mobs.

I can say I would not know because i have not been aware of this as much as now. I have been looking for perception before but I didn't see the pattern untill both vf and I tried it out (sometimes its nice to see others experiences as well). But after we did that I rarely think I got something without having perception first tbh.

my experience has been there is no distinct correlation, that is for ever global following a perception gain i have had many, many that were not preceded (noticably) by such a skill gain; and many many more perceptions that were not followed by a good loot/global. Think how many perc green lines you must have had to get to 2k. It is my believe that, just like the deposit=good loot myth, peoples behavior changes in responce to the perception gain and that in itself has to be taken into account.

It would be interesting if we could make a "test-team" of people who will look for perception and try do what we do (follow/kill the mobs around, look at the ground etc.) to see if others than us see that pattern :)

I certainly won't bealieve this, as MA has stated that skills won't affect loot, thus skillgains shouldn't either (?)
But what i've been wondering why you get perception more sometimes, ie. yesterday i got it on every seconds bomb i dropped, before that none (or maybe once/twice) for a week.

Well your understanding it wrong, skills dont affect loot in that sence, but loot affects skills.

Also for perception i'm 100% sure it works.

And this is what it means or atleast part of it.
An item on a mob withing ~300m to either side of you.
A bit higher loot on a mob within ~300m around you
A rare ore within ~300m around you
A bit higher value of a find within ~300m around you.

So it can either mean a bit bigger loot or an item or rare ore.

The tricky thing is to find it. What might make you not find it is that another player might loot the mob, or your going the wrong way. It could be a spawned mob behind you that just spawned due to another player just killed another mob and so on.

But in 99% of the cases when i have gotten a perception gain since i started to actually try to use them i have either gotten an item, crappy or good item doesnt matter, or i get a loot of about 7ped or bigger.

I do belive that it might be that the more perc you have aswell the furhter you can see. ie right now i get them when i'm within 300m of a good looting mob, but as i get more this might grow or it might even be that it makes the area smaller.

I have over 4k in perception and when I gain perc while hunting, about 9 times out of 10 I will get better loot within 10 mins. Inside or outside radar, and it doesn't matter if there is green dots or not.

For example in Jason drone area that meant 15-40 ped, sometimes small global. We studied this with my discipline. She had under 300 perc and she got better loot maybe 1 time out of 20. So when u have low perc-skill, gaining doesn't tell u a thing. When u have higher perc, gaining tells u a thing ;)

And yes, I'm getting good loots sometimes even without perc-gaining (and so did my discpl).

Back